Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Some clown today in Portland row, puls out of a side street into the bike lane knowing I'm approaching, gives me the death stare as I go around him, I look back and he gives me the finger.

Eff him I though, did a u turn and went back to him and asked him what's the deal with the finger.... Completely changed his tune when he heard the inner city accent and realised he wasn't dealing with some puss merchant.

Absolute gobshhte, why do people act the hard man and lose the rag over such trivial nonsense.

Between drivers roaring at cyclist, cyclists roaring at drivers it's pretty pathetic in Dublin these days, morons everywhere.

Rant over lol

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

silverharp wrote: »
    my wife saw that happen, muppet driver pulled out onto the main road without looking, cyclist 100% in the right, she said the cyclist was doing some speed (downhill part) but might have had a chance to hit the breaks
    I thought it might have been traffic pulling through from the opposite side, into the SIMS clinic, as often happens. You'll note the hi-vis jacket of the injured cyclist, which must have been so hard to see for the driver pulling out.

You'll also note the slightly silly cyclist pushing on through, ignoring the fire engine trying to cross the road.

https://streamable.com/oqiuw

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I thought it might have been traffic pulling through from the opposite side, into the SIMS clinic, as often happens. You'll note the hi-vis jacket of the injured cyclist, which must have been so hard to see for the driver pulling out.

You'll also note the slightly silly cyclist pushing on through, ignoring the fire engine trying to cross the road.

checked again, car taking a turn (without looking) you are right

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Back to near misses, check out this one between a florist van driver and a cyclist at Baggot St bridge;

https://streamable.com/io5o5

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Seems to be a very common spot for accidents, got hit at the motors right after myself and have seen a few people lying there over the years.

• Advertisement

Back to near misses, check out this one between a florist van driver and a cyclist at Baggot St bridge;

I really think the cyclist is a fool here (the second one) , unless I'm wrong the van has signalled and started the turn. Even if the van stopped I wouldn't keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Cyclist was an idiot. Bearing in mind that vans have blind spots, the driver did well to be observant making the turn.

I cringe a little inside when I see cyclists pull that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

They seem to send a fire tender to every ambulance job now. On their fly-on-the-wall series on TV a few years back, they sent the fire tender to a purely domestic job, person had collapsed in the house. I presume there is an evidence base to support this approach. It's good to hear that stats about 2nd to Seattle.

Pretty much standard procedure AFAIK, the caller might not have specified where in the house the collapsed person was, as in many hands make light work. H&S too, up to 8 personnel as opposed to 2 for lifting purposes. If the tender isn't required it can be stood down.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

passat just swerved into bus lane on to me, not the worst ever, and wide angle lens makes it look grand...

but (and its hard to see) but he gave the guy ahead less than a few inches, i thought the cyclist was done.

DKFX62k.png

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I've always tried to give a formal statement to Lackie first.

Lackie?

• Advertisement

Lackie?
    Check the post I was responding to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

italodisco wrote: »
    Completely changed his tune when he heard the inner city accent and realised he wasn't dealing with some puss merchant.

Puss merchant? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Check the post I was responding to.

I did. I still don't know what you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Had a bit of a mad 5mins on the commute yesterday. Started out with this muppet:

Usual taxi driver 'this is my lane' bull****:

Another red light breaker at Booterstown:

Had another this morning in Sandymount, close pass just to be caught in traffic 200yds later. I'll see later if it is on the cam. This is after many weeks of generally great driver behaviour, quite baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

She definitely should have waited, no question, but from the arm gesture, it looks like the fire engine driver waved her on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Chris Boardman somehow got involved in the Nial Boylan trolling thread
    https://twitter.com/Chris_Boardman/status/1064098762937835521

not "close" as one of us was watching the road, but this type of **** just happens too much.

parked on the footpath
    parked blocking cycle lane
    parked facing oncoming traffic
    parked blocking entrance
    indicating the wrong direction
    pulls out without looking
    crosses bike box
    crosses stop line
    noses out towards pedestrian crossing

p15574 wrote: »
    She definitely should have waited, no question, but from the arm gesture, it looks like the fire engine driver waved her on.

More a, "well you've gone this far and are now in the way, you may as well keep going as otherwise your creating more of a hassle", style wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ferris wrote: »
    Had a bit of a mad 5mins on the commute yesterday. Started out with this muppet:

Had another this morning in Sandymount, close pass just to be caught in traffic 200yds later. I'll see later if it is on the cam. This is after many weeks of generally great driver behaviour, quite baffling.

All of them are bad. But the first angers me the most. I'd bet money they didn't really give you a second thought, oh there's a cyclist time to overtake. Despite traffic calming features and approaching roundabout. And even when through the roundabout they didn't even move off with any great pace. I'd bet elderly driver who can just about keep it between the ditches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Yeah, that one irked me the most, total lack of consideration. I wouldn't mind but I am lit up like an xmas tree with two rear lights and have a high vis backpack. Actually looked to be a middle aged lady driver with a younger passenger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

p15574 wrote: »

She wasn't paying attention, but at least she acknowledge it.

cargo bike, with a maxi-cosi (infant child seat) up front.
    kid was not in the seat...

https://twitter.com/Abrys59/status/1064890527634653185

**** me, was only after I'd watched that did I spot you he'd no child in it. Heart in the mouth stuff for the sake of not sitting behind him and slowing for a couple of seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

site_owner wrote: »

not "close" as one of us was watching the road, but this type of **** just happens too much.

parked on the footpath
    parked blocking cycle lane
    parked facing oncoming traffic
    parked blocking entrance
    indicating the wrong direction
    pulls out without looking
    crosses bike box
    crosses stop line
    noses out towards pedestrian crossing

The only thing missing was to constantly creep forward on red. See motorists doing this regularly, to the extent they end up ridiculously out In the road by the time it goes green. Such lazy, lazy driving

I think the oncoming cyclist broke a red light, and I'm certain the black car broke a red light;

https://streamable.com/ht2ff

I think the oncoming cyclist broke a red light, and I'm certain the black car broke a red light;

https://streamable.com/ht2ff
    Unless he had a filter, they are both muppets. Doubtful though as he is taking the line as if you're going to get a green as well so he is getting across before.

Yeah, he might have been getting a green but he didn't have it yet.

Very lucky and shows the potential danger of red light jumping cars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

An absolute sh*t show out there this morning.

Cyclist just ahead of me got taken out by a car entering a roundabout in Templeogue. He was lit up like a Christmas tree. He maintained he was fine and driver was very apologetic, but he very clearly just wasn’t looking for anything but headlights.

Two near misses from there into city centre with drivers pulling ridiculous stuff in traffic - One guy sneaking up the bus lane on Samuel Beckett bridge then nipping into right lane to go straight while I’m beside him, and one guy swinging into cycle track without warning from a standstill, to do a U turn due to traffic.

Some weather for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

Rain always brings out the worst in people. Wasn't a near miss for me today thankfully, but at the junction of the N11 and Booterstown avenue the cars did their usual pull into the yellow box and block the crossing manoeuvre . Three lanes blocked when the light goes red. Pedestrian light turns green and the Dublin bus waits, pedestrians start to cross only for a red Peugeot to get impatient and try to barrel through them. Through a gap in the pedestrians! Miracle nobody got hurt, and the guy had to stop in traffic no more than 15m up the road!

Bus in Dundrum went took a left onto the main street through the pedestrian lights yesterday too. Been a joke the past few days. The most worrying thing is its not even that unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

mrcheez wrote: »
    Puss merchant? :pac:

Lol
    Puss merchant, a man (or woman) who likes to posture and be overly aggressive in the hope it will make them appear intimidating, but when confronted nearly **** themselves.

Too many of these halfwits around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement