Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Duckjob wrote: »
    Came across this on my FB feed.. WARNING: DISTRESSING VIDEO

http://cycling.today/spanish-movie-star-survives-terrible-crash-as-driver-slams-into-group-of-cyclists-video/

Seriously, what the actual F*CK is wrong with some people ? They are either highly malicious or highly incompetent. Either way they are highly dangerous to those the share a road with and should get a lifetime driving ban at very least.

WTF?? I'd seen headlines about this but hadn't seen the video. that's f*cking insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

http://cycling.today/spanish-movie-star-survives-terrible-crash-as-driver-slams-into-group-of-cyclists-video/

Seriously, what the actual F*CK is wrong with some people ? They are either highly malicious or highly incompetent. Either way they are highly dangerous to those the share a road with and should get a lifetime driving ban at very least.

Despite the warning .....was not expecting that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

"Driver slams into group of cyclists"

Hang on, I'll just run that through my Irish media journalist filter:

"The cyclists, who were wearing helmets, but did not have on any hi-vis clothing, were travelling on a main road when they collided with a car behind him."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Wondering if this is a first. Chain jammed changing into top on a flat stretch of road March 2017.

Went flying over handle bars for long distance. Broke BOTH collar bones and fractured knee cap. Recovered well.

Sorry I know this wasn't a near miss!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

See this almost happen fairly regularly at the Liffey Valley exit on the N4 westbound. In heavy traffic drivers blindly cut up other traffic trying to get get ahead and off for Liffey Valley not expecting a bike to be crossing the exit. Hats off to anyone who has to negociate that junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

"Driver slams into group of cyclists"

Hang on, I'll just run that through my Irish media journalist filter:

"The cyclists, who were wearing helmets, but did not have on any hi-vis clothing, were travelling on a main road when they collided with a car behind him."

When questioned on the matter, a prominent media personality said, ” If only cyclists paid “road tax” and were insured, this type of thing wouldn’t happen”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I can guarantee you that Spanish video is exactly how most daylight killings happen on Irish rural roads.

Phone usage
    Distracted drivers
    Fatigued drivers
    Drunk drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I can guarantee you that Spanish video is exactly how most daylight killings happen on Irish rural roads.

Phone usage
    Distracted drivers
    Fatigued drivers
    Drunk drivers

Agreed! .... but don't worry...the RSA are on it...if only those guys were wearing RSA hi viz vests eh? :mad:

As I said on the other thread I'm amazed one or both of them guys aren't in the ground right now. Really drills home how little you can do if the driver of car behind you isn't watching the road. No amount of lights or high vis can protect someone from that :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Marengo wrote: »
    Wondering if this is a first. Chain jammed changing into top on a flat stretch of road March 2017.

Went flying over handle bars for long distance. Broke BOTH collar bones and fractured knee cap. Recovered well.

Sorry I know this wasn't a near miss!!

Jesus, did it slip off the cassette or WTF

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once had a proper chain jam when dropping down to the 11 tooth cog; the bolts which hold my rear mudguard on are long enough to peep out through the eyelet, maybe by a couple of mm, enough for the chain to foul on it if i drop too low. thankfully i wasn't pedalling hard at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

As I said on the other thread I'm amazed one or both of them guys aren't in the ground right now. Really drills home how little you can do if the driver of car behind you isn't watching the road. No amount of lights or high vis can protect someone from that :(

Segregated cycle lane might slow a car down

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    When questioned on the matter, a prominent media personality said, ” If only cyclists paid “road tax” and were insured, this type of thing wouldn’t happen”.

"..and called for immediate legislation for mandatory wearing of hi viz clothing when cycling"

I know it's satire, but it kind of feels like The Simpsons in the late eighties satirising Trump getting into the White House.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Segregated cycle lane might slow a car down

Last night, near my house, a sober driver, not paying attention, drove across the road and hit the broad side of a pub, hit one person. All at slow enough speed that noone was killed thankfully. Was a phone involved, guess we shall never know.

A segregated bicycle lane will do nothing for drivers not paying attention and in reality will probably cause some to pay less attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Very nearly got rear-ended this morning on Samuel Beckett bridge. About to head onto it northbound, and the lights are red so I stop. Lady in mini behind me, who is planning on gunning it up the bus lane, obviously doesn't expect any cyclist to stop on red because sure aren't they all law-avoiding neanderthals, skids to a stop behind me with inches to spare. Gesticulates wildly at the cycle lane. Not sure where she was planning on going had I not been there, but at a guess it would have been straight through the red light.

Light goes green, we set off, her with a nice little aggressive wheelspin, and she tries, twice, once on the right and once on the left (!), to pass me in the bus lane with a queue of stationary cars in the driving lane. I get a decent look at her middle finger as she sits in traffic stewing, most likley thinking about how cyclists are ruining society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Very nearly got rear-ended this morning on Samuel Beckett bridge. About to head onto it northbound, and the lights are red so I stop. Lady in mini behind me, who is planning on gunning it up the bus lane, obviously doesn't expect any cyclist to stop on red because sure aren't they all law-avoiding neanderthals, skids to a stop behind me with inches to spare. Gesticulates wildly at the cycle lane. Not sure where she was planning on going had I not been there, but at a guess it would have been straight through the red light.

Light goes green, we set off, her with a nice little aggressive wheelspin, and she tries, twice, once on the right and once on the left (!), to pass me in the bus lane with a queue of stationary cars in the driving lane. I get a decent look at her middle finger as she sits in traffic stewing, most likley thinking about how cyclists are ruining society.

That bridge and the junction straight ahead at the ifsc are completely nuts, I use both a few times a week and witness endless light breakers and fools on the bridge in the bus lane up to all sorts. Fair play for holding your position, she sounds like a right halfwit

Never ceases to amaze me in this day and age, and especially on our roads, how so many people are utterly incapable of just holding their hands up and saying sorry. I mean, it's actually very easy and liberating to do.

Instead of a sorry, which in most cases will completely diffuse any bad feeling, you got a nonsensical counter-attack designed to divert attention away from their sh**ty and dangerous driving.

I'm not sure when it became a thing to refuse to admit your mistakes. If I was that lady I think I would be giving you a very sheepish wave, sinking behind my steering wheel and waiting desperately for the lights to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭buffalo

Very nearly got rear-ended this morning on Samuel Beckett bridge. About to head onto it northbound, and the lights are red so I stop. Lady in mini behind me, who is planning on gunning it up the bus lane,

There's not even a bus lane at that part, there's hatched markings, which are so routinely ignored that they probably doesn't register with anyone who passes there regularly.

https://goo.gl/maps/wY47HKq5Va32

(It should be noted the Sun called entering a hatched area an 'obscure offence'. https://www.thesun.ie/news/1231675/gardai-catch-twenty-drivers-breaking-the-same-rule-of-the-road-in-the-exact-same-spot-in-dublin/ :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

buffalo wrote: »
    There's not even a bus lane at that part, there's hatched markings, which are so routinely ignored that they probably doesn't register with anyone who passes there regularly.

https://goo.gl/maps/wY47HKq5Va32

(It should be noted the Sun called entering a hatched area an 'obscure offence'. https://www.thesun.ie/news/1231675/gardai-catch-twenty-drivers-breaking-the-same-rule-of-the-road-in-the-exact-same-spot-in-dublin/ :pac:)

Yep, I think she was on high alert as she was already scooting past traffic and was now planted firmly on the hatching, with the arse of the car blocking anyone who wanted to go straight up the south quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Yep, I think she was on high alert as she was already scooting past traffic and was now planted firmly on the hatching, with the arse of the car blocking anyone who wanted to go straight up the south quays.

If they put a kerb there instead of the hatched area and wands on the north end of the bridge then there would be a lot less hassle and safer for everyone except those that try to skip the queue.

• Advertisement

On high alert not to be spotted by a copper but not on high alert to not maim someone with her dickish driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

but not on high alert to not maim someone with her dickish driving.

Ah sure that doesn't seem to matter anyway.
    A truck driver who crashed into a broken-down car on the M50 causing the death of its driver has received a suspended sentence.
    Sgt Jennings agreed with John D Fitzgerald SC, defending, that the collision had been caused by inattention. He accepted that one would not expect to meet a car stopped along the M50.
    In considering the sentence, Judge Nolan........remarked that he did not think "there is a person in this court who hasn't been inattentive" and said that he himself had been guilty of inattention while driving.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/0118/1024102-barry-grogan-court/

Hurrache wrote: »
    Judge Nolan]

Says it all really

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If they put a kerb there instead of the hatched area and wands on the north end of the bridge then there would be a lot less hassle and safer for everyone except those that try to skip the queue.
    It looks like a tight turn, I guess it's like that so larger vehicles can swing around?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

TheChizler wrote: »
    It looks like a tight turn, I guess it's like that so larger vehicles can swing around?

The kerb/island wouldn’t have to come the full with of the lane. It’s actuall preferable if it didn’t for cyclists. Air coach and taxis often use the hatched area as a lane to skip traffic too even though it’s a left only turning lane going into the north quay. One of the main problems is that other idiot drivers let them in to go onto Guild St.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 greenwaving

I got wacked full force on the elbow by the wing mirror of a van gunning it down custom house quay this evening. I was planted in the middle of the left lane as there was a bus parked up ahead and the van driver decided he could squeeze in between me and the driver in the right lane to get ahead of said driver. He misjudged it and whacked me right on the elbow. Gave me the fright of my life. He didnt stop of course just sped up to the red light ahead. I caught up to him and roared at him only to have him roar back something about 'bloody cyclists not sticking to their own lane' (he was in the same lane as me overtaking with no space to when he hit me!).

I got his details - only cos I was on the ball and pulled over to take a photo not because he bothered to stop and exchange them - so I have already started a complaint with the company he works with. Is it worth reporting it elsewhere? I have only come out of it with a bruised elbow and dented confidence but I am so cross that his first thought after hitting me was to rant about cyclists not to stop and see if I was ok.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I got his details - only cos I was on the ball and pulled over to take a photo not because he bothered to stop and exchange them - so I have already started a complaint with the company he works with. Is it worth reporting it elsewhere? I have only come out of it with a bruised elbow and dented confidence but I am so cross that his first thought after hitting me was to rant about cyclists not to stop and see if I was ok.
    Given his behaviour I'd report him to the gardai. After all it was a hit and run. He would also have been aware that it happened

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hit and runners, even if you remain upright, are the lowest of the low. Please traffic watch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Given his behaviour I'd report him to the gardai. After all it was a hit and run. He would also have been aware that it happened

Ask the Gardai for his insurance details, if they dont act , loosing his NCB may moderate his behavior in the future.

• Advertisement

Report to the Gardai with the outside possibility of him getting done for failing to stop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement