Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 greenwaving

Thanks for all of the advice. I tried traffic watch but they said as there had been a collision I needed to report it to a Garda directly. Will head into Store St en route home and see how I get on there. Will post an update on how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

So used my rear facing camera to report dangerous driving for the first time today.

Cycling down through caslteknock village. It's really tight there past Auburn Ave heading toward the park - barely wide enough for a car, and certainly not a car overtaking a cyclist. Been sqeezed there many times.

Some clown in white van comes up behind me, horn blaring. I'm tight in behind the number 37 bus, so either there's a problem with the horn on his car or he wants to run me off the road. Unfortunately, it was the latter. With no where to go, he executes an overtaking maneuver, over the central chevrons, comes along side and tries to squeeze me off the road. 200 meter of queue of traffic to the red lights at castleknock gates.

Report filed with Pearse Street gardai at 9.03. Footage saved to PC for reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Might be CCTV from the bus available as well?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TheChizler wrote: »
    Might be CCTV from the bus available as well?

Definitely, say it to the Garda taking the report if you have a way to contact easily. They don't hold the footage long but if you have the date, time and route or license plate, they should be able to do it. DB won't give it to you but will to the Gardai.

Thanks guys. Report filed already. Unfortunately the video file just after and before the incident is corrupt - so no footage of me overtaking the bus (and leaving the still beeping van driver stuck in traffic :)). Need to have a look at this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭buffalo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Definitely, say it to the Garda taking the report if you have a way to contact easily. They don't hold the footage long but if you have the date, time and route or license plate, they should be able to do it. DB won't give it to you but will to the Gardai.

Under the GDPR legislation you can request footage of yourself, which in this instance will probably show the van too.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/Privacy/Making-a-Subject-Access-Request/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »
    Under the GDPR legislation you can request footage of yourself, which in this instance will probably show the van too.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/Privacy/Making-a-Subject-Access-Request/

They will censor out the van reg and identifying details. It might give enough, and it will also force them to hold the footage until the gardai get it but what they will give to you will be heavily blurred.

Ok panic over. Managed to retrieve the corrupt files from my camera. So I now have bus reg details as I Over took it (it pulled in to pick up passengers). Might still request the rear footage, it'd be interesting to see the incident from the bus's perspective and probably reiterates how crazy the move was.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Ok panic over. Managed to retrieve the corrupt files from my camera. So I now have bus reg details as I Over took it (it pulled in to pick up passengers). Might still request the rear footage, it'd be interesting to see the incident from the bus's perspective and probably reiterates how crazy the move was.

rear footage is not great from the one i got, camera is just pointing straight down. although you'll get a free USB stick

471096.jpg

Just sent in a data request for the video. So let's see what comes through. That one above won't be of much us though.....but good to see they do react. Any idea what size the free USB is :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

homer911 wrote: »
    Heading into Dublin on the N11 this morning, in the bike lane approaching Foster Avenue (the section set back from the road). I see three cars with left indicators as I'm approaching. Sensing trouble, I slow down but am parallel with the 3rd car. The first two turn ahead of me, but the third moves ahead of me and begins the left turn, before they spot me and stop. I've seen them start to turn (just a few feet ahead of me) and hit the brakes with the intention of letting them go ahead of me and avoid being hit.
    Another cyclist is coming on the bus lane/left turn lane behind the car, far too fast in my opinion and appears to anticipate the motorist taking the left turn (and left hooking me in the process) and getting out of his way. Discovers too late the car is not turning and gives the driver side rear quarter a big whack, before landing on the road. Car driver looks at me like its my fault for not going straight on (when they stopped part-way through the turn). Other cyclist seemed ok but could have had bike damage, and probably car damage..

I cycle through that junction regularly in exactly the same direction.

I now prefer it if the lights are red for straight on and left turn as it is safer for me because it avoids conflict with following drivers some of whom will turn straight through or in front of you.

There is an advanced stop area so for the sake of a short wait I can be away first and safely. There used to be a sign there directing motorists to yield to cyclists.

BTW watch yourself at the previous junction with the Rise as it is no less dangerous in respect of left turning drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

So this morning was tailgated and then overtaken on a blind bend. Country road. Have footage. Have rung traffic watch who took the report. Let's see what happens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

jjpep wrote: »
    So this morning was tailgated and then overtaken on a blind bend. Country road. Have footage. Have rung traffic watch who took the report. Let's see what happens next.

I'd be very interested to hear you how you get on with this, as that is a daily occurance on my commute. I don't have a gopro on my bike and at this time of the year, my commute is in full darkness. I doubt i'd get a car registration on film anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I'd be very interested to hear you how you get on with this, as that is a daily occurance on my commute. I don't have a gopro on my bike and at this time of the year, my commute is in full darkness. I doubt i'd get a car registration on film anyway.

I tend to find that my rear camera doesn't pick up reg plates in the dark but my front one does. partly a resolution / quality issue and partly with the rear being 'blinded' by headlights.

I tend to find that my rear camera doesn't pick up reg plates in the dark but my front one does. partly a resolution / quality issue and partly with the rear being 'blinded' by headlights.

I have a GoPro Session. Its set to 1440 and 30fps.

What resolution and frame rate do you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I have a GoPro Session. Its set to 1440 and 30fps.

What resolution and frame rate do you use?

Do you have that on the front or the back? I've mine stuck on the front with 1080 and 60 fps. It's alright, not ideal. There's a fair bit of glare off tail lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

Bus passed me skirting the cycle lane as I approach Louisa Bridge in Leixlip travelling from Maynooth. If you know it, its a canal bridge and very narrow already, mirror was close enough to give me a start so I requested the footage and asked them to look into it too and make their own minds up.

The same bus/driver then passed me again a few mins later while already indicating to pull into a stop just ahead, I'd room to overtake safely but only just why he didn't hang back on both occasions I don't know would only have added seconds.

It will be interesting to see what they send back already had a reply confirming some details I got the route no wrong and corrected it and gave my best guess at a reg, I had exact times and locations from Strava so they should have enough to go on. I should say I've been passed by hundreds of Dublin Busses without issue so this is a one off for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You can always try shouting the reg for the camera, which can work, depending on wind noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

60fps would generally be lower light than 30fps, especially at night. Maybe try also changing the exposure setting and see which ones work better?

I have a GoPro 4 Silver and I find one of the exposure settings very specific. I believe it's the centre exposure and once light hits it, the exposure goes very dark. If your rear light is flashing it may reflect on the reg plate and not be washed out with bright headlights.

My dash cam doesn't pick up illuminated reg plates in the dark very well so I read them out. It will match the description and colour of the car so shouldn't be an issue that you don't the reg on video. Shouting it might pick it up better on the front for you though.

Do you have that on the front or the back? I've mine stuck on the front with 1080 and 60 fps. It's alright, not ideal. There's a fair bit of glare off tail lights etc.

When I do mount it, I mount it on the front. I set it at 30fps as I figured less fps should be better in low/dark conditions?

I might put it on my commuter bike and try different settings over a few days and see what works best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

When I do mount it, I mount it on the front. I set it at 30fps as I figured less fps should be better in low/dark conditions?

I might put it on my commuter bike and try different settings over a few days and see what works best.

I havent checked settings in a while, but I believe GoPros (not sure from which version onward) have an auto-low-light setting which drops fps in low light. I have mine set to 60fps and assume it drops in darker situations. They are a decent product for auto-exposure and have no issues with reading plates in darker footage, but having said that all of my commute is lit by street-lights.

I havent checked settings in a while, but I believe GoPros (not sure from which version onward) have an auto-low-light setting which drops fps in low light. I have mine set to 60fps and assume it drops in darker situations. They are a decent product for auto-exposure and have no issues with reading plates in darker footage, but having said that all of my commute is lit by street-lights.

My commute is a bit darker:

https://youtu.be/57IOduT8hg8

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep, 60FPS just doubles frames for 9 months of the year in Ireland. You need a quite bright day for it to actually function.

There is something to be said for the narrow shutter angle of 60fps if you can attain it, 30fps gives brighter images but 60 will give sharper lines for a reg passing at speed.

If you wanted max quality shoot LOG(protune) and grade it later but thats....ehhmmm...a lot of work.

I've often considered looking for a little gopro session wiper, it seems when I need to review rainy footage there's always a big blob of water on the lens is the part of the frame I need :D

I am considering getting a session 4 on the back (use a session 5 on front and Fly6 behind) as the fly6 is just a little bit crappy, but the session 5 is a bit on the heavy end price-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Fly6 is not great in dull or dark days. It’s only 720p.

Anyone have the Fly6 CE as it’s 1080p? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've often considered looking for a little gopro session wiper, it seems when I need to review rainy footage there's always a big blob of water on the lens is the part of the frame I need :D

I am considering getting a session 4 on the back (use a session 5 on front and Fly6 behind) as the fly6 is just a little bit crappy, but the session 5 is a bit on the heavy end price-wise.

There are products like this.

Fly6 is not great in dull or dark days. It’s only 720p.

Anyone have the Fly6 CE as it’s 1080p? Any good?

Reviews on Amazon aren’t great, I’ve found avi format doesn’t play nice with mac, and again the price is a little eye watering. The original is a very decent light however.

Needs to be posted next time someone starts about how great high vis.

Needs to be posted next time someone starts about how great high vis.

That's exactly what I used it for! It's posted in the Hi-viz thread as an example of how much better lights are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

A punishment pass from a Dublin bus on Tuesday morning. Usually the buses are good on my commute so this was a surprise. Drivers attitude stunk, he drove the bus away in such a manner that I had to move to avoid being hit.

Also, commoner gardener gombeen on a roundabout, didn’t even look.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement