Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Good morning from Harold's Cross

Now they even have the sign asking people nicely - Bus lane in use - Prohibited vehicles please don't go in there
    The only thing that stupid little chute has done is make sure people get into the bus lane now. It's ridiculous. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭downtheroad

blackwhite wrote: »
    Bus lane cameras badly needed - or just a Garda standing at the side of the road for a few mornings

2 Gardai at the bus lane outside Fairview Park this morning, I'm sure they caught several cars. However after Annesley Bridge cars were back in the bus lane because they had passed the token checkpoint.

Cameras are the only way to go. Use the technology and let the Gardai go back to doing police work and not standing on roadsides watching for lazy/ignorant drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

On the hard shoulder topic. Let's say a lad on his own hugging the yellow line. Now i understand the whole debris factor but this 1.5 2m thing works both ways lads the responsibility doesn't just fall on the motorist.

I drive for a living and most of our regional roads wouldn't be great but the majority have decent hard shoulders. I come along at 80kph and 46ton I'm taking up the whole lane with oncoming traffic. I'm not going to drop the anchors to wait to cross a lane of traffic. I'll give as much space as I can but like I said it works both ways. We all have family's to go home to at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Bus lane cameras badly needed - or just a Garda standing at the side of the road for a few mornings

They had the newly graduated gardai out in December moving people out of the lane (just telling them to move, no FCPNs or anything) worked for a few days then business as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Rave.ef wrote: »
    On the hard shoulder topic. Let's say a lad on his own hugging the yellow line. Now i understand the whole debris factor but this 1.5 2m thing works both ways lads the responsibility doesn't just fall on the motorist.

I drive for a living and most of our regional roads wouldn't be great but the majority have decent hard shoulders. I come along at 80kph and 46ton I'm taking up the whole lane with oncoming traffic. I'm not going to drop the anchors to wait to cross a lane of traffic. I'll give as much space as I can but like I said it works both ways. We all have family's to go home to at the end of the day.

Keep driving like that and one person won't be going home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

people were talking about spikes or bollards that pop up from the road. This would wreck the car and maybe leave a big cleanup job of oil and have a car stuck in the lane for hours, and could injure a driver. They could possibly get an insurance claim out of it raising everybodies premiums.

My dream would be those bollards to detect cars and spray paint them, with high viz paint of course. So they go off "branded", and if anybody complained about it the reasoning is not simply to vandalize the car but you are doing other roadusers a good service. This person is obviously a lawbreaker and could be getting up to dangerous activities, it makes them more visible but also acts like a learner sticker, warning others that they are to be more alert around them.

Only problem is once painted and branded they might not bother cleaning it up and just get painted everyday.

Fines are definitely the way to go, as at least you do not have money being wasted on repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

You should get on a bike for a few months and then come back to tell us if you still think it works both ways.

It works both ways but you’re not going to slow down. Ok cool thanks man appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There you go! From the horses mouth! :eek:

A recent post of yours...
    Was there an emergency? Was the whole world going to grind to a halt because you were held up a few seconds?

Bet your a q jumper in slow moving traffic too aren't you....

LINK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Thing is, if you hit a cyclist, chances are you'll get to home to family.
    Cyclist a lot less likely to do so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I come along at 80kph and 46ton I'm taking up the whole lane with oncoming traffic. I'm not going to drop the anchors to wait to cross a lane of traffic. I'll give as much space as I can but like I said it works both ways. We all have family's to go home to at the end of the day.
    DOES
    NOT
    COMPUTE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

|Actually, it does. You're driving a 40 odd tonne vehicle approaching someone on a 10 kg vehicle from behind at high speed .What's difficult to understand about the higher duty of care you owe to a more vulnerable road user in this situation?

Unfortunately I've come a cross a good few truck drivers with this attitude. I guess it can be quite disconnecting sitting 10 fee above the road in a 40 tonne vehicle. You'll kill someone eventually with this behaviour. Only a matter of time.

No q jumpers drive me insane wouldn't even dream of letting one in. And that's boards all out. I never said I wouldnt slow down. All I'm saying is it's a danger for me to rapidly decrease my speed.
    There isn't a hope I'd get on a bike for a few days have way more respect my life then that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you saying that a law abiding road user should get out of your way simply because you drive a 46ton vehicle?
    If there was someone pushing a pram walking along the road, would you treat them with as much contempt?

No q jumpers drive me insane wouldn't even dream of letting one in. And that's boards all out. I never said I wouldnt slow down. All I'm saying is it's a danger for me to rapidly decrease my speed.
    There isn't a hope I'd get on a bike for a few days have way more respect my life then that.
    If your vehicle cannot slow down quickly and safely then it shouldn't be on the road!
    No ifs or buts!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Is it just the "lycra brigade" that you have a problem with, or all cyclists

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104091878

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Would you stand track side of the yellow line at a train station when a train is passing full speed? If not why not?

Yer a bit slow on the pick up. My example is a main road. N road. 100pkh speed limit. I'm limited to 80. Your cycling on the hard shoulder. It's as much your duty to look out for yourself as it is mine to look out for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

But you don't need to rapidly decrease your speed if driving appropriately, with appropriate sight lines you can take your foot off the accelerator and most of the speed will have scrubbed long before your near the cyclists. Where sight lines are poor, you should not be doing 80kmph. I have driven 8 wheelers and artics many years ago, the way you see some drive, you'd think they never had to break with a full load and had no concept of stopping distance or control.

• Advertisement

Yer a bit slow on the pick up. My example is a main road. N road. 100pkh speed limit. I'm limited to 80. Your cycling on the hard shoulder. It's as much your duty to look out for yourself as it is mine to look out for you.
    It is but how can I stop an ignorant prick driving past me with no consideration at all?
    Hard Shoulders quite often are not suitable for cycling in. Try it and see!

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Is it just the "lycra brigade" that you have a problem with, or all cyclists

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104091878

No only a small minority are dicks.

Yeah, you might be unfortunate enough to meet someone like yourself.

No only a small minority are dicks.
    In what way are they dicks?

One thing I sometimes dislike about the cycling forum is when a user drops in with a genuine question, they can sometimes be ganged up on pretty quickly. I understand why it happens, but it can be a bit much.

However, in this instance you're telling us you're driving at your maximum allowed speed but you wont 'rapidly decrease' your speed or 'drop the anchor' because well you're 46tons and you shouldn't have to. Why are you driving 46tons at 80kmh if you can't see a cyclist ahead until such time as normal braking won't suffice, but will require 'anchor dropping'?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

have you ever cycled on a road before? if so what made you see the light and cop on that it is too dangerous?

As you appear to feel so strongly about it have you ever warned riends or family members who cycle or may potentially cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

A driver of a 40 ton truck who admits not slowing down or giving room for vulnerable road users; many of whom are killed by the drivers of these exact vehicles. But it's the cyclists who are dicks?

I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Was this you?

https://www.facebook.com/THEAlanKelly/videos/vb.100000388997159/1392030257486594/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

Never said I wouldn't slow down. Yer missing the point. No one wants to go out and get hurt nor do anyone want to go out and hurt someone. When God forbid there is an accident were someone gets killed or hurt involving a truck the truck driver has to live with it, at fault or not.
    Ye seem to want to take a simple example way out of context witch is fine. This is the internet after all.

My point was a cyclist needs to take as much care of themselves as the motorist needs to take care of them.

Glad I gave ye the entertainment there for awhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

I'm not going to drop the anchors to wait to cross a lane of traffic.

No, I think your point has come across loud and clear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement