Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

At that crossing this morning, van in 1 lane was parked across the ped / cyclist crossing while a car in another lane was parked on the advance stop box, meaning that everyone crossing had to slalom between the 2 vehicles.
    I see blatant ROTR breaking there every time I use the broader junction (ie both ends of the bridge) with zero enforcement.

That happens at all the junctions near bridges. Its a disaster but some one will be killed on Lesson St Bridge as its too small for everyone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

She was across a cycle lane before she had a green light.
    Now maybe I am wrong, but I am sure your not allowed to have your bike across a cycle lane to block it?

If you look at the beginning of the video she was waiting with everyone else not on the cycle path, what your looking at is where she moved off before she had a green. The movie just makes it look like she was waiting there as she hit the brakes as the camera swings back. She is in the wrong but so is the cyclist that came through on red. One can be viewed as more wrong than the other, in my view the other person but if you want to be a rule lawyer, then they both are equally wrong as they both broke reds.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

That happens at all the junctions near bridges. Its a disaster but some one will be killed on Lesson St Bridge as its too small for everyone

I used that bridge often in the past, coming from Grand Parade and moving right to get into Fitzwilliam. Cars get on the bridge as it was a high speed motorway.

CramCycle wrote: »
    If you look at the beginning of the video she was waiting with everyone else not on the cycle path, what your looking at is where she moved off before she had a green. The movie just makes it look like she was waiting there as she hit the brakes as the camera swings back. She is in the wrong but so is the cyclist that came through on red. One can be viewed as more wrong than the other, in my view the other person but if you want to be a rule lawyer, then they both are equally wrong as they both broke reds.

In my original post I said all three were in the wrong. I am not sure what the outcome in the court would be if the second cyclists had hit the one in the cycle lane.

But its a junction where people need to be very careful.

queldy wrote: »
    I used that bridge often in the past, coming from Grand Parade and moving right to get into Fitzwilliam. Cars get on the bridge as it was a high speed motorway.

So do cyclists, cyclists cut up the inside of cars that are already turning left, and its clear the cars are turning left as indicators are on.

Alot of cars and cyclists break the lights there coming over the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Alot of cars and cyclists break the lights there coming over the bridge.

It is a nightmare of a junction for cyclists, cars and pedestrians. When coming from Charlemont Luas stop and crossing the road at the pedestrian lights to get onto the island where the coffee shop is, every single day when the pedestrian lights go green, cyclists crossing the bridge from Grand Canal direction go straight through the pedestrian lights for anybody crossing onto island

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Thankfully I have little to complain about regarding the drivers of Wicklow, on the contrary in fact. Generally the only issues I ever have are when leaving from, and returning to, Bray.

And this is the third time this has happened at this junction:

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

I feckin' hate when they do that. It's like you don't count, because you're on a bike, therefore you have to yield to their might

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Of course it's the day I forgot my camera but had my closest pass to date this morning and driver admitted it was on purpose. Literally inches from me with the whole other side of the road was clear. All because I had held position on the road before that point. The part of the road where we're going uphill on a blind corner....
    Not leaving the house without my camera again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Thankfully I have little to complain about regarding the drivers of Wicklow, on the contrary in fact. Generally the only issues I ever have are when leaving from, and returning to, Bray.

And you even had your flashing front light on.

• Advertisement

I think the driver was of the opinion that I will pull out but leave you plenty of room on the inside to continue on. But you could never of known or ever assume that. Driver was in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,954 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

She was across a cycle lane before she had a green light.
    Now maybe I am wrong, but I am sure your not allowed to have your bike across a cycle lane to block it?

She was momentarily ahead of the green, but 'block' seems like the wrong word. She was cycling, not blocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

p15574 wrote: »
    I feckin' hate when they do that. It's like you don't count, because you're on a bike, therefore you have to yield to their might

Not only that, when they do pull out they always seem to just dawdle along. Put the foot down!

Worst one I've had in that situation was a clown behind me flashing for someone to pull out like I have eyes in the back of my head and can see that? Or that I didn't exist. Only clue I got that it was about to happen was the driver waved in thanks before starting pulling out so I had to hit the breaks which resulted in a beep from the gobsh1te behind me. Actually that was the last time I stopped for 'words' with someone. I'd not have bothered if not for the beep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Interesting commute home this evening from Tara street to west dublin.

Pulled out of my office at about 6.45 - always anxious to use the bus lane on the quays before private motorists have a free for all. Anyway went like this

BMW no 1 - 5 series

Obviously aggrieved by my cheek in filtering left while he was stuck at a red, proceeded to bully me all the way up poolbeg st to the quays lots of revving. Used the bus lane then muscled In at the advance bike stop at O’connell bridge. Proceeds up the bus lane, tailgating me and fellow cyclists, then weaves in and out of the traffic and bus land in an effort to gain a few seconds. Passed him stuck at a red further on. Quick head shake at him. A well.

BMW no 2 - x5

Can You are a pattern here? Anyway I was now in Castleknock and came upon this guy parked across the bike advance box and ped crossing at the Filling station in Castleknock. I filed left and of course he couldn’t let it go without close passing me at well in Excess of the 50 kph limit. As he passed me, he did the same to a cyclist in front of me at the roundabout just before the m50 flyover. Passed him within inches despite no traffic coming the other way. Lots of verbal abuse from our x5 driver, who slowed and swerved in front of the cyclist. I witnessed the whole thing - pretty ugly.

He (the cyclist) was visibly shaking and trembling when I got to him. Swapped details and said I’m happy to go as a witness if he reports. Also swapped email address and said I will forward my rear facing camera footage which demonstrated the scummy carry on me by mister x5. Would have missed his own particular encounter as I have a rear facing camera only.

Some absolute scum bags on the roads these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Interesting commute home this evening from Tara street to west dublin.

Pulled out of my office at about 6.45 - always anxious to use the bus lane on the quays before private motorists have a free for all. Anyway went like this

BMW no 1 - 5 series

Obviously aggrieved by my cheek in filtering left while he was stuck at a red, proceeded to bully me all the way up poolbeg st to the quays lots of revving. Used the bus lane then muscled In at the advance bike stop at O’connell bridge. Proceeds up the bus lane, tailgating me and fellow cyclists, then weaves in and out of the traffic and bus land in an effort to gain a few seconds. Passed him stuck at a red further on. Quick head shake at him. A well.

BMW no 2 - x5

Can You are a pattern here? Anyway I was now in Castleknock and came upon this guy parked across the bike advance box and ped crossing at the Filling station in Castleknock. I filed left and of course he couldn’t let it go without close passing me at well in Excess of the 50 kph limit. As he passed me, he did the same to a cyclist in front of me at the roundabout just before the m50 flyover. Passed him within inches despite no traffic coming the other way. Lots of verbal abuse from our x5 driver, who slowed and swerved in front of the cyclist. I witnessed the whole thing - pretty ugly.

He (the cyclist) was visibly shaking and trembling when I got to him. Swapped details and said I’m happy to go as a witness if he reports. Also swapped email address and said I will forward my rear facing camera footage which demonstrated the scummy carry on me by mister x5. Would have missed his own particular encounter as I have a rear facing camera only.

Some absolute scum bags on the roads these days

Doesn’t take a genius to see what the common denominator is, it’s you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,954 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

buffalo wrote: »
    There's a small fortune to be made standing on that bridge pulling in drivers taking that left turn.
    When are you going to admit that you're exaggerating this issue;

https://streamable.com/ua5v2

The last guy in the Beamer was holding his phone up to mouth for a hands-free call, just to cap it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

Had some b*itch in a 4x4 coming towards me turn across in front of me to take a right turn. She clearly saw me as she proceeded slowly but came right across my lane as I was approaching and forced me to swerve left around her. Missed me by a foot. Thought I was going to be hit for sure. There was no time to stop when I realised what she was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

amcalester wrote: »
    Doesn’t take a genius to see what the common denominator is, it’s you. ;)

Hah yeah. Using the roads reserved for bmw drivers. The cheek of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I used be a BMW driver, but I'm all right now

• Advertisement

I always find it amusing to see the old clapped out ones driven by people who are only driving them because it's a BMW they can afford and not because it was the best car they could have got for the money :D

Give me and odd numbered model Audi any day of the week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

an audi 36? that's an odd number model for an audi anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I always find it amusing to see the old clapped out ones driven by people who are only driving them because it's a BMW they can afford and not because it was the best car they could have got for the money :D

Give me and odd numbered model Audi any day of the week.

Ah here, I wouldn't be championing buying an Audi in the middle of a discussion about ignorant self-entitled driving ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

There was a guy on a Dublin Bike arguing with a taxi driver on O'Connell Bridge this morning. The taxi driver had gotten out and was holding the whole place up. I asked the guy on the bike if he was ok and he said the taxi driver cut across him. This was all happening on going from south to north in the right turn lane after Westmoreland Street. Taxi number was *****.

It was an elderly guy on the bike, seemed quite rattled. The taxi driver was being very nasty to him.

I nearly got left hooked going up the hill towards Christ Church, but at this stage i'm used to that. Happens nearly every day. Stupid asshole turned on her indicator after she nearly knocked me down.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I used be a BMW driver, but I'm all right now

The clinic helped you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I drove this morning, drivers are as much &rs3h0l3s to each other as they are to cyclists apparently. The love of switching lanes without indicating, tail gating, moving into your braking space with no warning. I am going back to the bike ASAP, nothing is worth that annoyance.

Sat up behind 3 cars and traffic stopped in the other direction to allow an artic manoeuvre and reverse into the entrance of a business.

All going well, looks like a move the truck driver has done regularly. I'd say we've been stopped maybe a minute max. Cab is on our side and trailer perpendicular to the road so in a J or reverse L shape getting ready to straighten up for the final push back into the gate.

Car number 1 in the queue sees an inviting gap there despite the now massive blindspot the truck driver has and his reverse lights being on which even from where I was I could see. Car decides to put two wheels up on the foot path and squeeze through the gap. But for the fact the second car stated to beep frantically the truck driver would not have had a clue this clown was trying to pass with mm to spare with the cab bearing down on him albeit slowly.

Head shaking all around and 30 seconds later he's in and everyone is on their way again, and who is up ahead at a red light? Yup car number 1 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

CramCycle wrote: »
    braking space

Ha!...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Coming up through Swords Main St this afternoon, this lady in a jeep pulls out across my path while I'm doing about 30kph. I let an almighty roar and probably some expletives that had several people looking around.

While I struggled to stop my bike fishtailing all over the place, she carried on her merry way to stop at the lights 50 yards up.

I pulled up and knocked on her passenger window, said "Did you not see me Madam?" She just shakes her head blankly and says "I didnt see you". I told her she very nearly took me out. She didnt even seem aware of the crash she had nearly caused by her lack of attention.

Anyway, I just asked if she could pay more attention next time and rode off. What else can you say ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I wouldn't drive at 30kmph on Swords Main St let alone cycle that speed on it.
    There are always cars, bikes, pedestrians, sharks, cattle, everything, coming out between cars, jumping lights and not paying attention on that road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement