Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had a close enough (i.e. too close) pass by a DFB tender yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭maximoose

As they both got to Parliament St., the indicator went on (late) and the car started turning left.

Isn't that a no left turn junction too? See near misses there a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

maximoose wrote: »
    Isn't that a no left turn junction too? See near misses there a lot
    You're right, at least 4 signs on the approach too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

You're right, at least 4 signs on the approach too.

You can't be expected to read the road signs, look out for other road users, and read your texts all at the same time now, can you?

30kmh zone too. No excuse for near misses here seeing as its a known bottleneck going on to Essex/Wood Quay, and yet there always is!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife works near that junction; she's seen multiple near car on pedestrian accidents there, with motorists running very late reds, and making illegal turns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

There's also less reason to take that turn, now that you can take a right at the top of Fishamble st.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

check_six wrote: »
    You can't be expected to read the road signs, look out for other road users, and read your texts all at the same time now, can you?

30kmh zone too. No excuse for near misses here seeing as its a known bottleneck going on to Essex/Wood Quay, and yet there always is!

The modern car cockpit is a busy place these days, what with all those screens, buttons and gadgets. Throw in a mobile phone as well and all of a sudden it becomes overwhelming for poor Joe motorist.

30 km/hr is a joke along this stretch, BTW.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Too fast, too slow or no one pays it any heed?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CramCycle wrote: »
    So pretty much like a large percentage of people.

Yeah but Janet from accounts checking Snapchat doesnt spend her days picking up body parts after RTCs.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Too fast, too slow or no one pays it any heed?

Motorists will think it too slow. Cyclists and pedestrians will feel uncomfortable with the crazy speeds / close passing and even if it was doubled to a 60kph limit people would still pay no heed.

All I all the quays are a decidedly unpleasant experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The modern car cockpit is a busy place these days, what with all those screens, buttons and gadgets. Throw in a mobile phone as well and all of a sudden it becomes overwhelming for poor Joe motorist.

And are increasingly designed to be more and more distracting, with more mobile phone integration and apps.
    ED E wrote: »
    DFB non engines are TERRIBLE drivers. Texting and all.

I've seen DFB ambulance drivers driving with a phone in their hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

This person didn't give much thought to the safety of others.
    You are behind some cars that are waiting to turn right.
    The traffic light has gone red.
    I know.. here's a mad idea.
    I'll just nip out of my lane, ignore my red light and try to cross over 2 bicycle lanes, 2 bus lanes and 2 traffic lanes.
    The person makes it across. Just an incredibly dangerous move.
    Others might have chickened out half way across the Long Mile Road and sat sheepishly in the middle.
    But not this hero. A new frogger high score awaits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Had a very very close call today, I was cycling towards Ballinteer passing the centra at marlay park. The cycle lane is between the lane for straight on & the lane to turn left, land rover discovery was on my right - I was in that awkward spot where a driver can only see me by looking either to his left or into his mirror, doesn't indicate & pulls right across me, close enough that I smacked his bonnet twice with my fist. At the same time booted it to get out ahead of him. In hindsight not sure if brakes & a hard left would have been the better option but hadnt much time to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

They haven't added 30kph speed signs to the quays since the new speed limit was introduced two/three years ago? Only from Capel St where the original 30kph sign is. Otherwise, as far as anyone is concerned it's 50kph all the way from Heuston. In saying that, people regularly do 60kph. It's annoying but you can't fault motorists for not reading some PDF on the council's website regarding speed limits when there's no signage.

I've been tailgated by a coach then beeped at for doing 35kph in the original 30kph section. I'm tired of saying we need Garda presence on the quays. Few plain clothed Gardai on bikes would definitely do the trick. If they were obviously Gardai most people would behave for 2 minutes before speeding up the bus lane after they pass them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

'Near miss' could be a bit of a stretch, but the new arrangements with the cycle-specific lights aren't really working at Samuel Beckett Bridgev

https://streamable.com/h34i6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

'Near miss' could be a bit of a stretch, but the new arrangements with the cycle-specific lights aren't really working at Samuel Beckett Bridgev

https://streamable.com/h34i6

When they first flipped the sequence of the pedestrian/cycle lights i thought it would at least take some of the madness out of that junction. But it's like a battle royale now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I'm tired of saying we need Garda presence on the quays.

I was driven mad on the north quays one day last year by the amount of people just heading up the bus lane and cutting in at the top at O'Connell bridge.

There was a Garda van in the right hand lane, and when I caught up with them I asked is there nothing they could do.

"They're probably turning left"
    "No, I can see them cutting into traffic ahead"
    "Sure there's nothing we can do about it"

Response just made me more frustrated.

It’s beyond a joke now how many private motorists use the bus / cycle lane on the north quays. As long as it goes unpunished / unpoliced it’s. Going to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭secman

At the end of our spin last night, coming back down Tallaght bypass, just along the edge of The Square, cycling just inside the hard shoulder, had an unbelievable close pass by a double decker Dublin bus, and he was not crawling along, the 2 lads behind me were shocked with how close he passed me, none of us got a number as he made the upcoming traffic lights.. i did pull my shoulders in as he passed in a instinctive manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭micar

Lovely experience with driver and passenger in white van this morning.

Heading down church st towards the quays to go over river liffey.

White van goes past me in the right lane moves across to the left lane and stops three cars from the top with a red light.

As I approach the left hand side, the passenger opens the door and hops out causing me to swerve to avoid hitting him.

Needless to say, I stopped to have a few words.

Told them they've a responsibility to check their mirrors to make sure there is nothing coming from behind.

No apology from either except threats of assault.

Little do they know is that I've a camera which recorded it all.

Pity the van didn't have any company information on the side.

As soon as the traffic got going again the van moved back over to the right hand lane as he got to the other side of the river .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It’s beyond a joke now how many private motorists use the bus / cycle lane on the north quays. As long as it goes unpunished / unpoliced it’s. Going to continue.

I was on the N11 and the N7 yesterday, motor traffic was quite light, cars are at the speed limit and often, way above it. Despite the fact that traffic is moving well, some people have become so used to using the bus lane that they do it anyway, they were not skipping traffic, they were at the same speed as traffic, they were not turning left, went straight through a few junctions. I just don't get it. I don't agree with it but I understand why they are doing it when traffic is heavy, but that it is so ingrained that they continue to use the bus lane when there cannot be any perceivable benefit is quite odd I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

An FYI if you are looking to source Dublin Bus footage after a near miss. I made a request this week but it came up blank. This was because in the interim, another request had been made for the same bus, and after sourcing footage, they wipe all the data stored for that bus! This is a massive flaw in their systems, potentially losing vital information regarding a serious incident due to a request for footage of an innocuous one.

lemme guess, they cited GDPR as a reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

p15574 wrote: »
    An FYI if you are looking to source Dublin Bus footage after a near miss. I made a request this week but it came up blank. This was because in the interim, another request had been made for the same bus, and after sourcing footage, they wipe all the data stored for that bus! This is a massive flaw in their systems, potentially losing vital information regarding a serious incident due to a request for footage of an innocuous one.

I got a response to a data access request this week and think they said that footage is kept for minimum 4 days, except in cases where requests have been made in which case it's then kept for 2 years. I'll double check the letter tonight, I only skimmed it because it accompanied the USB stick with the footage I'd requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I got a response to a data access request this week and think they said that footage is kept for minimum 4 days, except in cases where requests have been made in which case it's then kept for 2 years. I'll double check the letter tonight, I only skimmed it because it accompanied the USB stick with the footage I'd requested.

Surely that can't be right.

If they've received a request for footage, then that could often be a precursor to legal action being taking.

Given they've no way of knowing if further sections of footage from that "tape" is required in relation to the same incident, they'd be on incredibly shaky ground to be destroying evidence after receiving indications of a potential legal action.

blackwhite wrote: »
    Surely that can't be right.

If they've received a request for footage, then that could often be a precursor to legal action being taking.

Given they've no way of knowing if further sections of footage from that "tape" is required in relation to the same incident, they'd be on incredibly shaky ground to be destroying evidence after receiving indications of a potential legal action.

As I said I'll check the exact text tonight...there may also be a difference between a data access request from the Gardaí versus a member of the public.

This covers what I'm referring to. Why the remainder of the footage would be deleted after a separate request has been made is completely separate and I ain't commenting on that!
    In the case of Dublin Bus, they are also required by contract from the NTA to hold a minimum of 4 days CCTV, then it can be overwritten. It may be slightly longer for some of the newer buses, so be quick in putting in your complaint and request to ensure that it is processed in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Here's the response I received:
    I refer to your email of Tuesday 2 July regarding accessing CCTV footage from a bus which may have caught footage of a traffic accident involving you and a car. Based on the details that you supplied, I was able identify Bus VT67. With this information, I emailed the relevant depot, Phibsboro, to request a copy of the CCTV so that I could proceed with your request under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

Today Phibsboro Depot have contacted me to let me know that, unfortunately, the footage was not available for that bus at that time. This is because CCTV from VT67 had been downloaded for a separate request on a different day and once the footage is downloaded and the requested footage sourced, the memory is wiped. As such, Dublin Bus is not able to provide you with footage from that bus. I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. I’m trying to identify if any other buses were in the area at that time and, if there were, will see if footage of the event can be sourced.

As is your right, you are entitled to contact the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner to make a complaint if you are unhappy with how your subject access request has been handled. Their contact details are as follows:

That actually implies that the footage should still be available! As in, if they downloaded for a separate incident, which they then need to retain originals of for 2 years, it should be available somewhere for that period. Seems like an internal issue maybe?

It also seems a bizarre approach to delete from the bus once it's been requested, I think that's worth a follow-up and a question as to whether it comes under the terms of their contract with the NTA which is referenced above. Was your request within 4 days of the incident?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭blackwhite

p15574 wrote: »
    Here's the response I received:

I'd definitely be making a DPC complaint on that.

Their stated policy is 4 days retention - which means footage should still be available until tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement