Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Was your request within 4 days of the incident?

Just about - incident on Friday, requested on Tuesday.

blackwhite wrote: »
    I'd definitely be making a DPC complaint on that.

Their stated policy is 4 days retention - which means footage should still be available until tomorrow.

I've emailed the DPC, will let ye know what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Seems mad that they'd delete it. Does that mean if there was a serious criminal incident involving the bus, but someone happened to request video for an unrelated incident before the Guards put in a request, the Guards would get nothing back?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

blackwhite wrote: »
    I'd definitely be making a DPC complaint on that.

Their stated policy is 4 days retention - which means footage should still be available until tomorrow.
    Sounds more like an individual error rather than an intended policy to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I presume they mean they take the entire volume of footage of the bus, it maybe deleted from the bus but it is somewhere for a now, longer period.

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    Seems mad that they'd delete it. Does that mean if there was a serious criminal incident involving the bus, but someone happened to request video for an unrelated incident before the Guards put in a request, the Guards would get nothing back?

Exactly.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I presume they mean they take the entire volume of footage of the bus, it maybe deleted from the bus but it is somewhere for a now, longer period.

No, my take on it it that it's completely gone, wiped. The entire bus's footage deleted after they extract the 2 minutes or whatever for the first request. Otherwise they would have been able to fulfill my request using the archived footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

micar wrote: »
    Lovely experience with driver and passenger in white van this morning.

Heading down church st towards the quays to go over river liffey.

White van goes past me in the right lane moves across to the left lane and stops three cars from the top with a red light.

As I approach the left hand side, the passenger opens the door and hops out causing me to swerve to avoid hitting him.

Needless to say, I stopped to have a few words.

Told them they've a responsibility to check their mirrors to make sure there is nothing coming from behind.

No apology from either except threats of assault.

Little do they know is that I've a camera which recorded it all.

Pity the van didn't have any company information on the side.

As soon as the traffic got going again the van moved back over to the right hand lane as he got to the other side of the river .

Link to the pleasant experience this morning This is the first video I've uploaded

https://youtu.be/1xGMngQO3fA

Not as close as I thought .......might have said "responsibility" a few too many times.

Time stamp out by an hour.

Link to the pleasant experience this morning This is the first video I've uploaded

Not as close as I thought .......might have said "responsibility" a few too many times.

Cameras as I have discovered make things seem further away and slower than experience would have you believe. His first response was to threaten to hit you, says it all really. Normal people would say, "oh f*ck, sorry", and that would be the end of it. Some people are sh1t and you were very calm and restrained considering he threatened and squared up to you.

In all honesty if that was me I'd have sat behind the vans and not filtered. Last things I'd want behind me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Actually it is probably the drivers responsibility, mirrors are angulated for the driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

Brought one of my kids for a spin to the shops this morning as its a Sunday and quiet. Thought it would be a good time to teach him some road skills and all went well until on our way back. I had my arm out signalling to turn right into and took up position in the centre of the lane, just told him to turn and hear a car accelerating and a woman overtakes both of us FFS. Only that I let a roar at him he stopped before crossing the line :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Probably the worst morning for close passes / aggressive driving in a long time. Headed out towards rathoath and picked up the group spin. The motorist overtaking me at 85kph (according to the radar display) in a 50kph zone approaching rathoath was a sign.

We decided to head towards skerries. Few reckless overtakes in new the road between ratoath and Ashbourne. Par for the course at this stage and although some were crazy, they’re pretty normal at this stage.

Had some motor bikes pass us at ridiculous speed crossing the M2. We were guessing well north of 150 kph on narrow country roads. Couple of them had speed wobbles coming off the other side of the bridge. As we approached skerries we realized the bike racing was going on. Explains the idiots that passed us earlier.

We eventually arrived at the N1 and proceeded towards rush. Wasn’t long for the craic to start. One of the first cars that overtook us drew along side “single file” the passenger roared as they skimmed past our group. No oncoming traffic, so didn’t understand the need for a close pass. Unless you’re being a twat.

Couple of cars later, golf with 4 passengers, we had the passenger lean out and attempt to push our front rider off. Came within inches of him. There was some sort of liquid sprayed and we think one of the rear passengers spat at us. Few cars later and we have another single occupant motorist pass with his passenger window down, again something intelligible but with some some form of expletive thrown in, about taking up the road (there were three of us in single file). Pretty much every second car made a close pass. Really unpleasant. I’m guessing the racing attracted a few Neanderthals

Anyway we were heading back from asbourne to rathoath and the icing on the cake was the fool in the rav4 who gunned it on the back road to rathoath. Overtook into oncoming traffic and cut in sharp left in front of us.

They were out in force this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

Jesus that’s completely ridiculous, nasty and not far from attempted murder.

Did you get any registrations?

Cycling a long left bend on a country road, Skoda yeti overtakes me, driving into the path of an oncomeing speeding car, more of a close call for the other drivers than me. Hard to know who was at fault. The young fellows in the oncoming car were coming fat too fast
    Skip to 34 sec

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

John_Rambo wrote: »
    My route is the Clontarf cycle path on the promenade/Alfie Byrne Road/East Wall Road/Church Road and onwards... (Dublin)

I had to drive in for a few days as I had gear to bring in and out work. Twice I witnessed a very very irate girl driving a blue 141 BMW. She's angry, switches lanes, heavy on the horn, lots of hand gestures, pulling on to the wrong side of the road leaning out in her seat to see what the "delay" is etc...

On Thursday I was cycling in. Felt a presence close behind me on the East Wall road, turned around to find a blue bonnet practically under my right thigh. Guess who? Traffic was light, lots of room, no reason for her to be bullying me. I raised my hand in wtf gesture and she gunned the car. I had no option but to mount the kerb. Called traffic watch, explained what happened & a sergeant from Store st. called, took the details and said he'd contact her and call me back.
    I'll post again when he does.

So the sergeant called me last week. He sent a car out to her home address and she claimed I overtook her. I said I may have had earlier on when traffic was stopped and that there was no reason for her to bully me off the road. He went on to say she seemed to be a lovely girl! I said a lot of people are lovely till they get in to their cars and he agreed with me fully on that point.
    There were a few silences where he obviously wanted me to fill in the gaps so he could find holes but I didn't blab. Stuck to my story with the help of my notes I took down after the incident and kept in my wallet.

We left it at that. He reckoned the sight of a squad car calling up to her regarding her behavior on the road was enough to check her and her driving. I agreed with him.

To the video posters, and the advice from people on this thread/forum... thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Serious crash near Portlaw co Waterford Friday evening.

Car overtook 3 cyclists in single file, the following car wasn't paying attention and plowed into all 3 of them.

Up on the bonnet.
    Serious injuries from what I heard. Fire/gards/ambulance everywhere.

Just word of mouth, don't know much more details.

Makes me wonder how many serious collisions happen every day that we don't hear about.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Serious crash near Portlaw co Waterford Friday evening.

Car overtook 3 cyclists in single file, the following car wasn't paying attention and plowed into all 3 of them.

Up on the bonnet.
    Serious injuries from what I heard. Fire/gards/ambulance everywhere.

Just word of mouth, don't know much more details.

Makes me wonder how many serious collisions happen every day that we don't hear about.

Amazing how this made no news bulletins locally (that I know of).

I tell almost every driver I know to never be car no3 overtaking cyclists, it puts everyone in danger.

hesker wrote: »
    Jesus that’s completely ridiculous, nasty and not far from attempted murder.

Yep. On a Sunday morning. Some utter ar$eholes on the roads.
    Chiparus wrote: »
    Did you get any registrations?

No unfortunately. Don’t have an aero adaptor for my bike camera, which I use all the time commuting. I guess I’ll have to pick one up :(. Terrible that people are being intimidated on the roads like this. Just out on a Sunday doing no harm whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Coming out of Kinvarra yesterday and saw a young girl, around 12, cycling around a bend. Idiot in car does a close pass on her while crossing a white line and the car going against him had to veer left towards the footpath to get out of his way.

He could have had the death of a young girl on his hands - why couldn't he wait an extra 10 seconds to go past her safely - ridiculous stuff.

I've done a lot of driving the last few weeks and I can tell you cyclists cause very minimal delays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

marvin80 wrote: »
    Coming out of Kinvarra yesterday and saw a young girl, around 12, cycling around a bend. Idiot in car does a close pass on her while crossing a white line and the car going against him had to veer left towards the footpath to get out of his way.

He could have had the death of a young girl on his hands - why couldn't he wait an extra 10 seconds to go past her safely - ridiculous stuff.

I've done a lot of driving the last few weeks and I can tell you cyclists cause very minimal delays.

I was sat at the entrance to Dublin port this morning for about 3-4 mins while a freight train crossed the road leaving the port. Not one sign of impatience from the large number of motorists waiting on both sides of the road. 500m up the road crossing East Link bridge, a van driver insisted on sitting on my back wheel because I was delaying him by seconds. It really isn't about the delays, it's often about the irrational dislike of cyclists or assumption that we shouldn't be on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I was sat at the entrance to Dublin port this morning for about 3-4 mins while a freight train crossed the road leaving the port. Not one sign of impatience from the large number of motorists waiting on both sides of the road. 500m up the road crossing East Link bridge, a van driver insisted on sitting on my back wheel because I was delaying him by seconds. It really isn't about the delays, it's often about the irrational dislike of cyclists or assumption that we shouldn't be on the road.

+1

I've said before on this thread (I think) that what I've found most disturbing about the more recent incidents I've had with (mostly) taxi drivers was that the actual rights and wrongs of a situation didn't seem to matter. e.g being told to "get off the f**** motorway" when I was going around the roundabout outside the airport"

Seems to me these people simply have such a dangerously ignorant and aggressive mindset they'll use any excuse to roar abuse, threaten and intimidate someone on a bike. They're a national embarassment really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Pretty bad crash on Saturday between a rider and a car at Smyths in Claremorris, Mayo. Car pulled right out in front of the cyclist who went over the bonnet still clipped in. Landed on his head and helmet split in two. He came away with just a few bumps thank god and was discharged pretty quickly. I went over for a look yesterday at the area and if you were paying attention at all you would have seen him coming.

Just had a taxi driver "teach me a lesson" (in his eyes, I guess) on the north quays this morning. The traffic was stopped at the lights at the fours courts. About a dozen or so bikes waiting at red to use the shared cycle / bus lane towards Arran Quay. There's an unmarked bike advance box there (i.e a gap where the traffic should stop and the lines for the ped crossing). which the bikes are occupying.

Taxi driver was inching forward, invading the space occupied by the cyclists. Lights go green, and we all head off. But taxi driver can't use the bike / bus lane, so he comes up the outside, cutting a few of us who are indicating to use the lane towards Millennium Bridge further on. Skimmed right past me. He was stuck i traffic further up, I was going to have a word, but I usually find a lot of them are so pig ignorant, it's pointless. I find taxi drivers by far most ignorant and aggressive road users the biggest hazard to cyclists in and around Dublin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think it's a bit more subtle than that.
    stuck at a level crossing, you know you can't move, there's no question about it, you just deal with it.
    'stuck' behind a cyclist, you can see the open road ahead, willing you to your freedom you so richly deserve, you know you could move were it not for this temporary road block. i think the fact that you are moving, but more slowly than you'd like, is more frustrating for some people than actually just being stopped. it's not just level crossings where you see motorists simply resigned to their fate; they get more irritated stuck behind a cyclist than they would do if they got stuck at lights or in stationary traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

stuck at a level crossing, you know you can't move, there's no question about it, you just deal with it.
    'stuck' behind a cyclist, you can see the open road ahead, willing you to your freedom you so richly deserve, you know you could move were it not for this temporary road block. i think the fact that you are moving, but more slowly than you'd like, is more frustrating for some people than actually just being stopped. it's not just level crossings where you see motorists simply resigned to their fate; they get more irritated stuck behind a cyclist than they would do if they got stuck at lights or in stationary traffic.

They say in heaven there is no internet at all, whereas in hell, there is really really slow internet. :)

Those pesky level crossing barriers don't matter to certain drivers.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dangerous-driving-trains-4670936-Jun2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CramCycle wrote: »
    Cameras as I have discovered make things seem further away and slower than experience would have you believe. His first response was to threaten to hit you, says it all really. Normal people would say, "oh f*ck, sorry", and that would be the end of it. Some people are sh1t and you were very calm and restrained considering he threatened and squared up to you.

Any chance of making out the logo on his top?

484718.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

You may well be right regarding the subtlety but I should have added previously that the road in front of me was occupied by a lorry, he was going nowhere regardless.

• Advertisement

Any chance of making out the logo on his top?
    Air Force H&V

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement