Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭micar

Any chance of making out the logo on his top?

484718.JPG
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Air Force H&V

Thanks for that.

I would never have got it.

Might find out who the Directors are and will email them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Information on the company and name of at least one director is available on the CIF website (here)

Airforce H & V Ltd
    Address: Unit 47 & 48 Broomhill Close
    Town/City: Tallaght
    County: Dublin 24
    Role: Managing Director
    Phone: 01 4040909
    Email: john@airforcehv.com

There you go, let us know how you get on.
    micar wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I would never have got it.

Might find out who the Directors are and will email them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Information on the company and name of at least one director is available on the CIF website (here)

Airforce H & V Ltd
    Address: Unit 47 & 48 Broomhill Close
    Town/City: Tallaght
    County: Dublin 24
    Role: Managing Director
    Phone: 01 4040909
    Email: john@airforcehv.com

There you go, let us know how you get on.
    I'd love to be in the room when that meeting happens in the morning. I've had a few very positive responses from employers to issues raised in recent months.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Just had a taxi driver "teach me a lesson" (in his eyes, I guess) on the north quays this morning. The traffic was stopped at the lights at the fours courts. About a dozen or so bikes waiting at red to use the shared cycle / bus lane towards Arran Quay. There's an unmarked bike advance box there (i.e a gap where the traffic should stop and the lines for the ped crossing). which the bikes are occupying.

Taxi driver was inching forward, invading the space occupied by the cyclists. Lights go green, and we all head off. But taxi driver can't use the bike / bus lane, so he comes up the outside, cutting a few of us who are indicating to use the lane towards Millennium Bridge further on. Skimmed right past me. He was stuck i traffic further up, I was going to have a word, but I usually find a lot of them are so pig ignorant, it's pointless. I find taxi drivers by far most ignorant and aggressive road users the biggest hazard to cyclists in and around Dublin.

You may be correct but most are actually decent. All dog owners don't leave poo on the path...All cyclist don't skip reds and all Taxi drivers are not road wanfers. Most are actually decent it's just the sizeable minority of ignorant ones. Unfortunately cars kill and the others much less likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

work wrote: »
    You may be correct but most are actually decent. All dog owners don't leave poo on the path...All cyclist don't skip reds and all Taxi drivers are not road wanfers. Most are actually decent it's just the sizeable minority of ignorant ones. Unfortunately cars kill and the others much less likely.

No doubt. It's a sizable minority allright, but we'll have to agree to disagree - most of my closest calls have been with taxi drivers and it's a daily occurence in central dublin.

My own daily experience with taxi drivers is that they'll

- frequently pull left for a fare, regardless of who's behind them
    - block a bus lane with little regard for other road users (the Arlington Hotel at Bachelors Walk is a favourite),
    - skim you in a bus lane - they seem to take particular exception to cyclists "taking the lane" or, dare I say it, turning right.
    - They universally ignore the 30kph city centre limit (and any speed limit for that matter) in central Dublin
    - Will bully any cyclist who dares use the bike / bus lane
    - Cut across you at Liberty hall to get to Gardiner Street / Busaras

All in my own experience and completely unscientific of course, based on a daily commute from west to central Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

Worst close pass I've ever had this morning on the North Quays just after the junction with Beckett Bridge. On a DB on the small section after the bridge where there's no bike lane when Swords express went by me with inches to spare. He's still alongside - about half the bus length still behind me when he starts to pull in. I'd to slam on to avoid getting taken out. Anyone who knows me will tell you I wouldn't say boo to a goose - I've had close passes before and approached the drivers about it but always kept my composure and always glad afterwards. But this one had me apoplectic. Caught up with him at the next set of lights. Hammered on the door shouting a few expletives but he wouldn't open it - probably for the best. Stopped again at the IFSC and got a picture of the reg. Have emailed the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

bren_mc wrote: »
    Worst close pass I've ever had this morning on the North Quays just after the junction with Beckett Bridge. On a DB on the small section after the bridge where there's no bike lane when Swords express went by me with inches to spare. He's still alongside - about half the bus length still behind me when he starts to pull in. I'd to slam on to avoid getting taken out. Anyone who knows me will tell you I wouldn't say boo to a goose - I've had close passes before and approached the drivers about it but always kept my composure and always glad afterwards. But this one had me apoplectic. Caught up with him at the next set of lights. Hammered on the door shouting a few expletives but he wouldn't open it - probably for the best. Stopped again at the IFSC and got a picture of the reg. Have emailed the company.

FFS. If I were you I'd try an approach similar to the subject data request process that Dublin Bus operate, to see if they'll provide you with camera footage under GDPR.

The process is discussed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Ok, so probably shouldn't have triggered this guy by calling him a f**khead, but some context of off-camera...

I'm in the lane for straight ahead, left lane only turn gets their arrow off-camera and you can hear a bunch of cars beeping. Guy at top of queue is laughing to his buddy, he doesn't care, he's going straight and everyone can wait. This happens every day here, but usually they are sheepish and allow the cyclists get kerbside as they look for a gap. I know, stupid to presume this guy would do same.

We get our green, I'm setting off, when he actually quite clearly says "outta the way" and swerves towards me as he's overtaking cyclist on inside. I react (won't be winning any awards for creative name calling) and he instantly hits the brakes and the abuse starts. The rest is clear from the video. I think he called me a tramp (?) when he spills himself out of the car.

Just another day cycling in Dublin

https://streamable.com/gjfgz

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Attempted assault, straight to the gardai with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

Ok, so probably shouldn't have triggered this guy by calling him a f**khead, but some context of off-camera...

I'm in the lane for straight ahead, left lane only turn gets their arrow off-camera and you can hear a bunch of cars beeping. Guy at top of queue is laughing to his buddy, he doesn't care, he's going straight and everyone can wait. This happens every day here, but usually they are sheepish and allow the cyclists get kerbside as they look for a gap. I know, stupid to presume this guy would do same.

We get our green, I'm setting off, when he actually quite clearly says "outta the way" and swerves towards me as he's overtaking cyclist on inside. I react (won't be winning any awards for creative name calling) and he instantly hits the brakes and the abuse starts. The rest is clear from the video. I think he called me a tramp (?) when he spills himself out of the car.

I go through that junction myself a few times a week and that sort of behaviour has just become normalised there. Most people are aware of the left filter but still purposely drive up there to avoid being stuck behind a vehicle turning right onto Pearse street.

From your post I presumed it would be some young lads giving you hassle, I didn't expect some of Dublin's 'true blue' aul fellas, Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Your audible assessment of this gent was pretty accurate TBF

Just goes to show, grace and manners don't necessarily come with age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

He really went out of his way to show his face on camera. Moves fast enough for a big lad!

8d2eff3ec0e8a9ad76661a9a8e984281.png

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

Attempted assault, straight to the gardai with that one.

Definitely

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tuxy wrote: »
    He really went out of his way to show his face on camera. Moves fast enough for a big lad!

Not physically but more the pose in the photo, he looks alot like this guy:
    8ac6ea0f863d1b7db1dbc4289219b71a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

That part of the video is crying out to be slowed down and overlaid with a mock David Attenborough voiceover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

I think you could have taken him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not physically but more the pose in the photo, he looks alot like this guy:
    8ac6ea0f863d1b7db1dbc4289219b71a.jpg

True justice is being mocked on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

droidus wrote: »
    that is what I find strange, videos with middle aged fat lads who are presumable unfit and weaker taking on younger lads who are presumably fitter than average. If he was to come across a younger fitter lad with his own level of aggression not only would he get a severe hiding but likely his nice Jag would have got a nice few dents & scratches too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭micar

rubadub wrote: »
    that is what I find strange, videos with middle aged fat lads who are presumable unfit and weaker taking on younger lads who are presumably fitter than average. If he was to come across a younger fitter lad with his own level of aggression not only would he get a severe hiding but likely his nice Jag would have got a nice few dents & scratches too.

Might be unfit but he's a lot of weight behind him.

He's easily squash me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

he actually quite clearly says "outta the way"
    What a familiar attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

droidus wrote: »

Never worth it, IMHO. You're best possible outcome is battering him and getting away with it. Other options are battering him and getting done for assault or getting battered by him. Given his narky wing man odds aren't great either. Video and complaint to the Gardaí are what I'd be doing.

484822.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Resemblance to Joe Duffy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

I think he ate Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Was he trying to start a Mexican wave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hesker

Was he trying to start a Mexican wave?

No, just positioning himself for receiving a good kick in the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Looks like the SkiFree monster on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Cyclists: Menace On Our Streets? on Channel 5 Tonight @9.15.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I had almost a re-run of an incident I had a few weeks ago this evening, only last time the offender was white van woman. This time it was an unaccompanied learner in a Micra.

I passed through the junction at Doyle's corner in Phibsborough, inbound towards Constitution Hill. There's cars in the cycle lane, as usual, and a queue of traffic on the other side of the road so no room to pass safely. I take the lane for all of ten seconds. Rev, rev, unaccompanied L driver in Micra sitting on my wheel, beep. I move in seconds later and gesture him on with all the sarcasm I can muster. He shouts something about "the middle of the road." He actually sounded like he was about to cry to be honest. I told him which direction to fornicate in and to keep moving.

It seemed to work. He left me room to pass despite gingerly pulling into the cycle lane at the queue for the next set of lights (seemed unsure where to position his car when there was a bus ahead turning right) and then stayed behind me like a good boy until I left him far behind. If he hadn't, he was going to get an invite for a free driving lesson in Bridewell Garda Station at the bottom of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I would have found it hard to resist giving ape man a kick in the nuts as I passed him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

micar wrote: »
    Might be unfit but he's a lot of weight behind him.

He's easily squash me.
    Many, many years ago, I had my first ever serious clash with a driver, somewhere round Islandbridge, long before the bypass was built. He tried to push through coming through some roadworks, I scared him off with my frame fitting pump. I didn't notice that he pulled in up ahead, and stepped out and dragged me off the bike. I swore to myself that if it ever happened again, I'd just ride into the fecker. If you're going to come off the bike, you might as well use him for cushioning.

I got 500 quid off him with a solicitor's letter a few months later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement