Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

DaveyDave wrote: »
    If he had a green arrow your light would be red. He had the same green as you so should have yielded to you. I used to commute that way a few years ago, always had to be on my toes if I had green all the way.

About to say the same, driver was just a !"£$^&*

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It was a BMW, we don't need to elaborate further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Yeah, thats happened to me a few times there. It's especially bad if the right turning lane has a van or truck in it obstructing the sightlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Re Constitution Hill - I think in this case, the BMW driver just didn't see you.

There is an issue with those lights - not related to the above though - that the lights coming from Dorset Street are so far back from the cross roads - that frequently the amber gambler will go through the Amber slash red light - but still has a few seconds to get to the actual cross roads; by which time the other lights are already green and people are ready to go.

Its a very tricky junction and not just for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭crisco10

Definitely a junction that "promotes" conflict. Have had it a few times myself, in the evening it's pretty bad because sight lines are obstructed all over the place.

I've had what happened to you happen me a fair few times. Exacerbated by the fact you have just come down a fairly steep hill so tend to be going faster than the motorist will think you are (if they DO see you).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

micar wrote: »
    Cycling to work yesterday. Coming down constitution hill towards the qusys to a junction where I have a green light.

No traffic behind me. BMW turns right into my path.

I think he has a green arrow and thinks that there's is red light for me.

This isn't the first time I had this happen at this junction .

https://youtu.be/tugNvBClqHg

As a car driver that is absolutely bonkers. How can he not see you there?

Just as an aside, if there are two cycle lanes, one either side of the road, are cyclists legally obliged to cycle with the flow of the traffic? Or can they use either lane?

wardides wrote: »
    As a car driver that is absolutely bonkers. How can he not see you there?

Just as an aside, if there are two cycle lanes, one either side of the road, are cyclists legally obliged to cycle with the flow of the traffic? Or can they use either lane?

I think its that thing of following the car in front of them; simply that. The two cars in front pass through first, the pedestrian is crossing and the third car then isn't concentrating and goes with the flow.

Actually looking at the video, the pedestrian didn't leave too much room either.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

That junction is just a race to beat the lights from all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I think its that thing of following the car in front of them; simply that. The two cars in front pass through first, the pedestrian is crossing and the third car then isn't concentrating and goes with the flow.

Actually looking at the video, the pedestrian didn't leave too much room either.
    It's always the feckin third car! Seriously. There must be something to it. I usually notice it when being overtaken. First car waits for space and overtakes with plenty of room, second is a bit closer but still fine. Then car number 3 will decide to squeeze through no matter what space is left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

There's also the added madness of having 2 x 2 lane roads widening to 3 lanes before the junction which results in 3 x 3 lane roads intersecting and 2 of them then becoming 2 lane roads immediately after the junction.

• Advertisement

I had an unusual one yesterday.

Couple of cars passed me - might have been the Third Car that went past was not super close, but close enough for me to think - "I didn't like that".

Do the inevitable catch up with the traffic ten seconds later at the lights.

Now folks many times in this situation I see said driver has phone in their hand.

But this man had something more unusual in his hand - a can of beer.

Quite surprised that were still people around who had not received that memo.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hope you called that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Had some lunatic overtaking me this morning as I was joining the N11 from the road where Oatlands college is, literally merging in on top of me and i ended up with my hand against the rear window of the car still moving. Of course there's 3 legends in there, start shouting out the window and revving the engine followed by close pass in the bus lane. As I'm coming up to the junction near the Radisson one of em has the back door open, in the middle lane of the N11, thankfully I'm tipping along downhill at 40 odd and they're in traffic. Didn't see them again but also didn't get a reg to report.

I knew I was having too good a run of it lately, very few close passes or any issues on the commute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Just had a white van overtake on the way home about 20m from a blind bend, oncoming car came around the bend, he squeezed onto me and I slammed on, he slammed on and the oncoming car had to slam on. Everyone’s a loser!

Surely that’s it now for the year I’ve had my 2 proper bad experiences on the 1 day...!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I had an unusual one yesterday.

Couple of cars passed me - might have been the Third Car that went past was not super close, but close enough for me to think - "I didn't like that".

Do the inevitable catch up with the traffic ten seconds later at the lights.

Now folks many times in this situation I see said driver has phone in their hand.

But this man had something more unusual in his hand - a can of beer.

Quite surprised that were still people around who had not received that memo.

Was it a Heineken Zero though?! 😉

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Probably blinded by my flashing light , or my high vis?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Chiparus wrote:
    Probably blinded by my flashing light , or my high vis?

Straight through a red light? Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

Cyclist down on Warrenhouse road this evening, just at the junction with Moyclare. Fire brigade and Gardai on scene, looked pretty serious as they hadn't moved him off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

ChrisJ84 wrote: »
    Cyclist down on Warrenhouse road this evening, just at the junction with Moyclare. Fire brigade and Gardai on scene, looked pretty serious as they hadn't moved him off the road.

Possible hit and run. Hopefully the woman will recover quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

do you know any more, or have you seen the story reported anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

three times in the last two days i've had to do an abrupt right hand out, palm facing backwards, fingers splayed 'stop overtaking me' gesture when a motorist decides to overtake around a blind bend into oncoming traffic (two of the three) or simply decides to overtake into clearly visible oncoming traffic.
    one of them actually gunned it harder when i did this today, on the climb up past ardgillan from the skerries-balbriggan road. the chap in the oncoming car had to stand on the brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

three times in the last two days i've had to do an abrupt right hand out, palm facing backwards, fingers splayed 'stop overtaking me' gesture when a motorist decides to overtake around a blind bend into oncoming traffic (two of the three) or simply decides to overtake into clearly visible oncoming traffic.
    one of them actually gunned it harder when i did this today, on the climb up past ardgillan from the skerries-balbriggan road. the chap in the oncoming car had to stand on the brakes.

Is that the lovely steep hill as part of the Rás last stage? Well not this year but previous years. Narrow and twisty road for overtaking on with very little vision ahead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not sure about the Ras, but this is she, and yes, not a road which lends itself to overtaking:

https://www.strava.com/segments/711687

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

not sure about the Ras, but this is she, and yes, not a road which lends itself to overtaking:

https://www.strava.com/segments/711687

If you check some of the rides you can see the Rás had the final stage 8 on that section several years in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

tuxy wrote: »
    If you check some of the rides you can see the Rás had the final stage 8 on that section several years in a row.

And three laps of the final circuit up that hill and around skerries. Some men

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not a cycling story but a near miss. Driving on a rural road, coming upto a bend to my right. Pedestrian out jogging. I was probably doing about 40kmph, around the corner comes a car topping 80kmph. I stood on the brakes as they swerved out. The worse thing is, because no one got hurt, he probably thinks his driving was fine. I even caught the look in his eye, I swear he blamed the pedestrian. If he hit her, he'd probably use her lack of hi Vis as an excuse for not seeing her around a corner, and he'd probably walk as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

CramCycle wrote: »
    If he hit her, he'd probably use her lack of hi Vis as an excuse for not seeing her around a corner, and he'd probably walk as well.

Given that 'the sun was in my eyes' is deemed a valid excuse having killed someone, I have no doubt whatsoever

oh; and the bolded one - on the R122 between balbriggan and the naul. overtaking on a road into oncoming traffic, and he really only abandoned the attempt when i turned back and eyeballed him and mouthed my best 'WTF are you doing', combined with all the body language i could muster. less than 200m later, he was no longer there. he'd turned off the road. the mind, she boggles.

the mind, she boggles.
    not quite sure why i described my mind as feminine there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Had a similar one as a pedestrian the other day. Myself and the other half walking dogs on leads on country road, solid white line. We hadn't even a ditch we could jump into. Car coming towards us on our side , car coming from behind. It was clear to us that if both kept their current speed they would pass each other as they overtook us. So the car approaching on our side needed to slow. But they didnt. They narrowly missed us, the look on their face was clear, they were doing nothing wrong, we were in the way. It was a very very close call.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement