Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

fat bloke wrote: »
    I'd say there's a very high probability of coming across the same lad in the same car in the same place at the same time, and in all likelihood driving in the same manner . - Always amuses/intrigues me how habitual commuting can be and how aligned one's own commute is to others. Walking to school with the kids, it tickled me how often the same guy on a Ducati would drone under the M50 pedestrian bridge as we traversed it. A bike coming from God knows where, travelling at 100kph routinely coinciding with our 20 second bridge crossing. The slightest delay to tie a shoe-lace and we'd miss each other entirely.

on the same topic (the high probability of finding the same drivers, at the same time, at the same place - often doing the same offense):
    I posted a month or two ago about me witnessing a truck in a wrong way (Lincoln Lane), entering the Quay and causing an incoming cyclist to have troubles and smash on a light pole. I helped the cyclist, but I could not properly see the regulation (in fact, as I verified later, I switched a 9 with an 8, being it bit far for my sight) of the truck. So when the cyclist reported the incident, garda wasn't able to proceed further.
    A few days ago, I am walking to work, I am in Lincoln Lane, and guess what happens? Same truck, same violation (wrong way), same place, similar time. Had the time to record and now the video will be further investigated, hopefully.
    And if company has record of who's driving the truck at specific days, then one could also be able to identify who was driving, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Garda van probably 4 cars ahead too.

I was heading down the quays close to that point last year.
    Lots of people driving down the bus lane, Garda car in the far right lane.
    I caught up with them and asked if they was anything they could do about it.
    Response was "They are probably turning left ahead, nothing we can do about it".
    You could clearly see them cutting back into reg traffic lane further ahead.
    Made the rest of my commute more frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Effects wrote: »
    Response was "They are probably turning left ahead, nothing we can do about it".

"Go away, silly little cyclist, and don't be bothering the grown-ups on the road going about their business"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Duckjob wrote: »
    "Go away, silly little cyclist, and don't be bothering the grown-ups on the road going about their business"

Sorry, should have said, I was in my car at the time!
    I don't get that stressed on my bike, which is one of the many benefits of cycling.
    That was also the tipping point for me, and I never drive the north quays anymore unless it's after midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Effects wrote: »

North quays bus lane from beyond capel street bridge to O’connell street are heavily abused by private motorists. They sense they can get away with it - the same yesterday Range Rover and Audi (no surprise there!) hind each other in the bus lane with a Garda car in the regular lane right beside them. No issues. The odd time you’ll see a Garda on a motorbike ticketing some cars for using the bus lane - must be when there’s a blip in the numbers of summons issued on the station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Met a lady having a bad day on the quays yesterday AM, she entered the bus lane sharply between Four Courts and Capel Street. She was nowhere near me, but came very close to a scooter ahead of me. Instantly met a line of traffic in the bus lane, mostly private cars. I passed on the outside just where the road goes to driving lane/bus lane/driving lane, her window was open so I just said "Bus Lane" and continued along. She didnt like that. Straight out of her lane, into the bus lane in the middle and skims past on my right, roaring at me. Like it looked like she was about to do herself some damage if she didnt take a breath. No idea what she said as her window was up.

Anyway, she wasnt going to Jervis Street, just skipping queues. Could see her properly enraged as I sailed by her a couple of hundred feet up the quays.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Met a lady having a bad day on the quays yesterday AM, she entered the bus lane sharply between Four Courts and Capel Street. She was nowhere near me, but came very close to a scooter ahead of me. Instantly met a line of traffic in the bus lane, mostly private cars. I passed on the outside just where the road goes to driving lane/bus lane/driving lane, her window was open so I just said "Bus Lane" and continued along. She didnt like that. Straight out of her lane, into the bus lane in the middle and skims past on my right, roaring at me. Like it looked like she was about to do herself some damage if she didnt take a breath. No idea what she said as her window was up.

Anyway, she wasnt going to Jervis Street, just skipping queues. Could see her properly enraged as I sailed by her a couple of hundred feet up the quays.

To be fair, you shouldn't have said anything to her in the first place as she had done nothing to you....that's just how I'm reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I do a similar thing, but to cyclists that go through green pedestrian lights when I am walking/running across. None ever answer me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I usually wave cheerily at drivers who have gone to special effort to overtake me to get to the back of a queue 50m up the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    To be fair, you shouldn't have said anything to her in the first place as she had done nothing to you....that's just how I'm reading it.

If someone wants to act like an arsehole and break the law they should be called out on it. I don't see an issue with that to be honest. If he was to get off the bike in front of her and make a big stink about it that's a different story. It's no different to me calling someone a wanker or giving them the WTF hand gesture when they close pass me.

And it does effect him, although minor, there's now another car adding to the traffic of a relatively empty lane that private motorists are legally prohibited from using during posted hours.

It's not the end of the world, although people like her make it out to be...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

DaveyDave wrote: »
    If someone wants to act like an arsehole and break the law they should be called out on it. I don't see an issue with that to be honest. If he was to get off the bike in front of her and make a big stink about it that's a different story. It's no different to me calling someone a wanker or giving them the WTF hand gesture when they close pass me.

And it does effect him, although minor, there's now another car adding to the traffic of a relatively empty lane that private motorists are legally prohibited from using during posted hours.

It's not the end of the world, although people like her make it out to be...

I know where you are coming from, I really do, but there are too many people self policing on the roads and it's certainly not helping anything. It's only antagonising road users (who are already careless about the ROR) and leading to more rage on the roads.

Sometimes you just need to let a dick be a dick and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I know where you are coming from, I really do, but there are too many people self policing on the roads and it's certainly not helping anything. It's only antagonising road users (who are already careless about the ROR) and leading to more rage on the roads.

The Self Policing would appear to be the only policing taking place on Irish roads nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

donvito99 wrote: »
    The Self Policing would appear to be the only policing taking place on Irish roads nowadays.

https://www.garda.ie/en/roads-policing/statistics/roads-policing-statistics-for-2019/

This would suggest otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How do you work out that 'it's definitely not helping'? Doing nothing is DEFINITELY NOT helping, as the offensive behaviour continues and becomes more prevalent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

RobbieMD wrote: »
    That's a bit meaningless without context though? 700 drink driving detections in April is less than one person caught per county per day, for example. Is that expected or reasonable?

That's a bit meaningless without context though? 700 drink driving detections in April is less than one person caught per county per day, for example. Is that expected or reasonable?

I was responding to another poster who said self policing is the only policing happening now. My point is that’s clearly false. There are thousands prosecuted per month for Road Traffic offences.

With regards to your question, about 700 per month does seem to be the average over the last few years, so I imagine that’s what’s expected and seems reasonable, if that’s what the trends suggest. But those 700 detections for intoxicated driving per month aren’t as a result of a cyclist glowering at a motorist on their phone or whatever. I think that just feeds into the whole road rage thing and you end up with a pissed off cyclist and a pissed off motorist. By all means people can continue at it. Personally when I cycle into work or wherever else, I mind my business and don’t let others annoy me to the extent I pick an argument with them. Life has enough stressors without actively seeking them out. I used to get annoyed, now I’m more in agreement with those who smile at the raving lunatic behind the wheel, as I continue on my way.

I was responding to another poster who said self policing is the only policing happening now. My point is that’s clearly false. There are thousands prosecuted per month for Road Traffic offences.
    That's true, though in the context of the millions of traffic offences committed each month (counting the frequency of speeding and mobile phone use), thousands prosecuted isn't a great deterrent.

With regards to your question, about 700 per month does seem to be the average over the last few years, so I imagine that’s what’s expected and seems reasonable, if that’s what the trends suggest. But those 700 detections for intoxicated driving per month aren’t as a result of a cyclist glowering at a motorist on their phone or whatever. I think that just feeds into the whole road rage thing and you end up with a pissed off cyclist and a pissed off motorist. By all means people can continue at it. Personally when I cycle into work or wherever else, I mind my business and don’t let others annoy me to the extent I pick an argument with them. Life has enough stressors without actively seeking them out. I used to get annoyed, now I’m more in agreement with those who smile at the raving lunatic behind the wheel, as I continue on my way.
    I find calling out other people on their BS to be LESS stressful than ignoring it. It's quite cathartic really.

That's true, though in the context of the millions of traffic offences committed each month (counting the frequency of speeding and mobile phone use), thousands prosecuted isn't a great deterrent.

I find calling out other people on their BS to be LESS stressful than ignoring it. It's quite cathartic really.

I’m all for rolling out speed cameras, average speed cameras, lower limits etc as much as possible. Speeding is a massive problem in this country, and the penalty is too lenient. Same for mobile phone use.

Maybe you find it cathartic but I never did. I used to get myself wound up over some ass, now I try to just leave it on the road behind me. YouTube is full of videos of people having road rage encounters, and because they feel they’re the person in the right, they start speeding up to catch the other person, blasting horns, roaring and shouting abuse. It’s all just unnecessary stress imo.

. YouTube is full of videos of people having road rage encounters, and because they feel they’re the person in the right, they start speeding up to catch the other person, blasting horns, roaring and shouting abuse. It’s all just unnecessary stress imo.
    YouTube is also full of videos of people having non-road-rage encounters - just one adult talking to another adult, asking/telling them to change their driving style before they kill someone. No blasting horns, no shouting abuse - just one adult calling out another adult on their BS - what's the problem?

YouTube is also full of videos of people having non-road-rage encounters - just one adult talking to another adult, asking/telling them to change their driving style before they kill someone. No blasting horns, no shouting abuse - just one adult calling out another adult on their BS - what's the problem?

I’ve no problem with that, I never said I had a problem with it, what I am saying is it’s not for me. I imagine not all drivers will be civil whilst being lectured to or gestured at or whatever. Hopefully you never meet a lunatic like that guy in Sandymount a few years back who killed another man in a road rage situation. That’s not meant in a derisive way either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

jon1981 wrote: »
    Does this count as a near miss from this pr*ck

https://youtu.be/AOR7KIwYoZw

Just an update, I never got around to making a complaint here. Family bereavement at the time and it slipped down my priority list. Probably too late now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Was heading up over the bridge at Hazelhatch yesterday (driving) when an absolute asshat overtook two cyclists at the brow of the hill over a solid white line towards me. Almost came to a stop from 50km/h to make room for him. Probably got home and complained about being beeped at and that he had to get past the cyclists :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Just an update, I never got around to making a complaint here. Family bereavement at the time and it slipped down my priority list. Probably too late now.

Sorry for your loss :(

I wouldn't think it's too late - would suggest calling trafficwatch and asking them? I think it's worth reporting fwiw.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sorry for your loss.
    It was June 28th when you posted that - that's not that long ago!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Dear lord,

Not cycling related again. Coming up the road towards Ballycanew, where I always seem to meet the worst drivers in Wexford, I am 2nd behind a car that is swerving over the central line, randomly slowing and speeding up, and if I didn't know better, I would say drunk or having a medical emergency. Anyway, I am holding back a bit, and we get to a straight stretch, and they start to stay to their own side. The car in front of me goes for the overtake but before I can even indicate (car in front has only just pulled out), not one, not two but six cars moved out behind me, remember, the first car had not even passed the car it was overtaking at this stage. I just took my foot off the accelerator and drifted back. I seen the opposing car coming when the third car finished the overtake. It slammed on, the car being overtaken had slowed (but nearly hit an overtaking van as it swerved out at one point).

I just don't get it, I really hate that road now. Same road I met a car on the wrong side of the road after coming round a 90degree bend. Thankfully I was going at a speed I could stop in time, and the car it was overtaking also stopped, but how there are not more accidents there is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

CramCycle wrote: »
    Dear lord,

Not cycling related again. Coming up the road towards Ballycanew, where I always seem to meet the worst drivers in Wexford, I am 2nd behind a car that is swerving over the central line, randomly slowing and speeding up, and if I didn't know better, I would say drunk or having a medical emergency. Anyway, I am holding back a bit, and we get to a straight stretch, and they start to stay to their own side. The car in front of me goes for the overtake but before I can even indicate (car in front has only just pulled out), not one, not two but six cars moved out behind me, remember, the first car had not even passed the car it was overtaking at this stage. I just took my foot off the accelerator and drifted back. I seen the opposing car coming when the third car finished the overtake. It slammed on, the car being overtaken had slowed (but nearly hit an overtaking van as it swerved out at one point).

I just don't get it, I really hate that road now. Same road I met a car on the wrong side of the road after coming round a 90degree bend. Thankfully I was going at a speed I could stop in time, and the car it was overtaking also stopped, but how there are not more accidents there is beyond me.

People see that straight and just go for it. No patience at all there. Probably because they were stuck behind traffic for awhile before coming into Ballycanew, but in 5 mins they can get on the motorway!!

That road all the way down to Wexford is crazy, thank god for the motorway now

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

..not one, not two but six cars moved out behind me..

Maybe they seen your "cyclist onboard" sticker? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

coward wrote: »
    Maybe they seen your "cyclist onboard" sticker? :pac:

Wearing Lycra and a cycling helmet while driving is a always a giveaway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Dear lord,

That road is/was a nightmare with only one or two "passing" straights, as a result when people were caught behind a slower vehicle, they would risk an overtake as otherwise thsy would be stuck for another 20 km.
    The new motorway should stop all that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement