Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Wearing Lycra and a cycling helmet while driving is a always a giveaway

When I'm driving, increasingly I feel I'm "giving myself away" as a cyclist simply by passing other cyclists in a safe and responsible manner.

Seems to instantly enrage a certain type of motorist when they're driving behind me and see me not putting those cyclists in their place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think what shocked me as much, if not more than the overtakes was the car they were overtaking was clearly swerving all over the place. The third vehicle to overtake had to slam on the breaks mid overtake as the car went across the central line again. Cars 4, 5 and six could not see ahead, they were overtaking on each others bumpers. I mean, it was incredible to watch (as I let them drift further away from me).

I always take that road when heading south as my family dislike the motorway but I think that will be the last time for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've had several instances recently where i've seen some awe-inspiring 'the guy in front of me is overtaking so it's probably safe for me to overtake too' stunts. one was on the road up along the runway to st margarets, people actually pulling out with visible oncoming traffic. didn't stop them one iota.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Not exactly a near miss yesterday, I was heading outbound through Harold's Cross just past the Maxol service station.

I was going straight towards Terenure when a silver BMW tried to overtake me to turn left, but at the last moment decided he didn't have the time to left hook me. Instead he sat on the horn when I "blocked" his way and the poor darling and to come to a near stop, an absolute cnut.

Not a cycling near miss, but was driving on the R139 earlier heading across from Clarehall to the M50/M1. I was travelling in the outside of the 2 lanes (was a car on the inside lane slightly ahead of me)

The lights went amber as I was approaching it - was 50/50 for me whether I should stop or not. The car on my left kept going - reasonably enough.
    Probably I could have kept going too but instead I came to a safe if brisk stop for the light.

Guy a good 2-3 seconds behind me decided he wasnt one to be held up by something like a silly red light, swept into the left lane passing the back left of my car by inches and straight through the red that was at that point red for a couple of seconds at 60kph+.

People are just gone crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Duckjob wrote: »
    Guy a good 2-3 seconds behind me decided he wasnt one to be held up by something like a silly red light, swept into the left lane passing the back left of my car by inches and straight through the red that was at that point red for a couple of seconds at 60kph+.

People are just gone crazy.
    They have a very high likleihood of not being caught.
    Same reason why you have this almost 9,000 post discussion about the dangerous overtaking of cyclists!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

hNot a near miss but in keeping with a lot of the posts above. N11 soutbound this morning, I had just entered at Kilmac and was on the 'on ramp' which is a dreadfully designed stretch as there is no run off and cars are speeding up to join the traffic on the dual carriageway. Contrary to howit looks on the clip there is a slight ascent here. In the distance I spot a truck (as far off the road as he could get in fairness to him) pulled in to the left with what looked like a mechanical. The driver was climbing down off the side of the cab and then opened the door and got into the cab. He did look and should have seen me but, as we all know, I couldn't assume that.

So I've taken the lane anyway (you have to) and pulled out further to overtake and avoid being doored. No problem for the car behind me, having seen what's up they hang back and take their time. Similarly the second car, who had had a very limited view, but off he went at his leisure. Then came the third car. Horn blown and window down for the inevitable abuse. He was behind the other two for 12 seconds but as he was moving the delay was considerably less. I've no doubt he went off blaming me.

If the clip shows nothing else it shows the hi-viz arguemnt is a load of crap. It's all to do with the feral mentality on the roads of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Audi Syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Do Audi make bikes? I was going uncharacteristically fast through Rathmines this morning about 7.40 when someone decided to turn left across me as I passed - not sure, I think it was Military Road. The… dearkindperson swooped around in front of me and whipped past about a centimetre in front of my wheel. I'm afraid bad language was used.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

ED E wrote: »
    Audi Syndrome.

I didn't want to say that, particularly as the car in front was a BMW. Also, I'm looking at buying a(nother) Audi myself atm ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭secman

CramCycle wrote: »
    Dear lord,

Not cycling related again. Coming up the road towards Ballycanew, where I always seem to meet the worst drivers in Wexford, I am 2nd behind a car that is swerving over the central line, randomly slowing and speeding up, and if I didn't know better, I would say drunk or having a medical emergency. Anyway, I am holding back a bit, and we get to a straight stretch, and they start to stay to their own side. The car in front of me goes for the overtake but before I can even indicate (car in front has only just pulled out), not one, not two but six cars moved out behind me, remember, the first car had not even passed the car it was overtaking at this stage. I just took my foot off the accelerator and drifted back. I seen the opposing car coming when the third car finished the overtake. It slammed on, the car being overtaken had slowed (but nearly hit an overtaking van as it swerved out at one point).

I just don't get it, I really hate that road now. Same road I met a car on the wrong side of the road after coming round a 90degree bend. Thankfully I was going at a speed I could stop in time, and the car it was overtaking also stopped, but how there are not more accidents there is beyond me.

I was heading to Ballycanew from Gorey on a winter's night in very very dense fog, taking it very handy, a girl driving a pink car, a customised Hugh Heffner type bunny girl yoke came up behind me and kept trying to overtake me only to have to duck back in behind me when an oncoming car would appear out of the fog , it happened on about 4 occasions and she eventually overtook me, pure stupidity of the highest order, bet she was a blonde .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Had a really weird one on Sunday morning.

Behind a Sunday cyclist giving him loads of space on the Baldoyle Road. I wasnt in a big rush and I hate that road as a cyclist.
    Approaching the turn off for the Moyne road and I see it's clear (as in no other cars), so I attempt to overtake (I'll concede that it was a single white line which later it turned out to be his issue) I pull out into the other lane and low-and-behold the clown swerves out into the road in front of me!

I assumed he was turning down the Moyne road and so I slammed on the breaks. But he wasnt! He cycles on, and I overtake shortly after the junction.

He catches up with me in Baldoyle village at a red light spitting bullets. I was simply aghast. Right or wrong, to throw your yourself in front of a car!?! :confused: F-me that man has issues. Sadly, it does nothing to make cycling that patch any easier for everyone else - the sooner the cycle track is open the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Near miss on Griffeen Avenue in Lucan yesterday evening. In my car and I come up to the pedestrian crossing. I see a woman and her kid waiting to cross so I stop. Suddenly a cyclists in a high viz jacket goes through the crossing as the people are about to cross the road.

Near miss on Griffeen Avenue in Lucan yesterday evening. In my car and I come up to the pedestrian crossing. I see a woman and her kid waiting to cross so I stop. Suddenly a cyclists in a high viz jacket goes through the crossing as the people are about to cross the road.

Zebra crossings seem to confuse us over here, between road users not giving way and pedestrians afraid to scross, so stopping to wait on them. I cross one every morning, and even though I stop, people will still not cross ver for a minute until you wave them through, as if to assure them. This said, I understand why, having seen cars coming through it at 70kmph (in a 30kmph zone)

Zebra crossings seem to confuse us over here, between road users not giving way and pedestrians afraid to scross, so stopping to wait on them. I cross one every morning, and even though I stop, people will still not cross ver for a minute until you wave them through, as if to assure them. This said, I understand why, having seen cars coming through it at 70kmph (in a 30kmph zone)

I always tell my kids and my dad that you shouldn't cross until the traffic stops. You will often see road users go through them :(

I always tell my kids and my dad that you shouldn't cross until the traffic stops. You will often see road users go through them :(

And that is the problem with Ireland, because we facilitate the behaviour, it continues and gets worse. I do agree with you though but it shouldn't need to be done. Traffic lights between my sons school and home, some mornings, you can't cross as cars drive through so much on red that you miss the green man to cross, it is mental. Same with the delay on traffic lights between crossing lights, to facilitate red light jumpers.

And that is the problem with Ireland, because we facilitate the behaviour, it continues and gets worse. I do agree with you though but it shouldn't need to be done. Traffic lights between my sons school and home, some mornings, you can't cross as cars drive through so much on red that you miss the green man to cross, it is mental. Same with the delay on traffic lights between crossing lights, to facilitate red light jumpers.

Totally understand and the green man never stays green long enough!!

While out running I would be a bit more assertive on the crossings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

secman wrote: »
    bet she was a blonde .
    you sound like my father in law.
    please don't sound like my father in law.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

High St in Kilkenny has a number of zebra crossings, regularly I've given a car a hit for refusing to stop and driving through as I was crossing.

Not once has any motorist reacted to me in an aggressive manner as they know they are 100% in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

Cabaal wrote: »
    High St in Kilkenny has a number of zebra crossings, regularly I've given a car a hit for refusing to stop and driving through as I was crossing.

Not once has any motorist reacted to me in an aggressive manner as they know they are 100% in the wrong.

Just to play devil's advocate slightly (probably not relevant to any of your incidents above) but I see a problem sometimes with the zebra crossings in High St, particularly the one at the Market Cross.

Due to the narrowness of the street and footpath, I've seen people emerge from the Market Cross and straight out onto the crossing in 2-3 paces. So even the most careful motorist can have someone suddenly stepping out who wasn't visible at all a second or two earlier.

• Advertisement

surely anyone sane driving up high street would be doing so at a slow pace though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

We had this problem, pedestrian lights outside school with busy morning rush hour. I emailed the local Garda station pointing it out, and to be fair, the next morning, and for several mornings after that, they had someone stationed there, pulling in cyclists, stopping motorists who were going through on red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

surely anyone sane driving up high street would be doing so at a slow pace though?

Yes, they would. I've never seen any significant incidents, comment was more of an aside!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I was in Amsterdam last month. I don't think I ever really adjusted to cars actually stopping at pedestrian crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

Traffic was very busy on my commute home today. From Crumlin, Long Mile, Nangor Road to Clondalkin. Long line of slow traffic and as a result it just felt like a lot of aggression and impatience out there from people in cars.

Most drivers were at least acknowledging my existence in the bus lane and overtaking with some care. I heard one driver approaching at speed - which is bloody terrifying. Just not sure how to control the lane in those few seconds. Lots of stuff runs through your mind.. will it slow down.. what if it's stolen.. if I don't move will they just wipe me out.

My heart rate was high after that pass. And I was angry. A little further down the lane and a taxi driver approaches. I'm in no mood to let go of my lane. He tries to push me over to the left. I get a beep. He gets a wave. Eventually when I'm moving into the next lane he drops gear and revs the car passing me as close as he can without actually touching.

Why? Why would you treat someone like a piece of s**t. Giving no thought to the safety and wellbeing of another road user. If that was your wife, your son or daughter - would you be happy giving them the same respect? 10 to 15 seconds and we both could have happily continued on our journeys in peace.

This is the gap you gave me when passing.. why? to punish me in some way? I never put you in any danger with my position and cycling but you felt it necessary to bully and intimidate.

Rant over! sorry.. feel better now :D

<removing video>

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That is a disgrace for a so-called professional driver.
    At 0:37 it is evident to see that he is driving as close to you as is possible.
    I would be up at the garda station right now if I were you!

what Seth said.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but it was a mistake to move over to the right so early. He had already shown himself to be an impatient pr**k so it was naive to think he would give you the courtesy of waiting a second or two for you to get to the lights safely. Safer to just hold the lane and then nip over to the lights at last moment.

And the worst part there is you "held him up" for what? 50m maybe? Didn't look like he gave 2 foops to slow and look right at that left filter either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

I removed the video. I'm probably getting a bit desensitized to this stuff and was saving up my traffic watch and garda station visits for actual hits and damage. But you people are probably right. I'll visit the station tomorrow evening. If I can at least get him to think twice about doing that again to another road user in the future, it would be good. Well not me make him think twice.. but maybe a garda phone call.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement