Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

edited out

https://www.psv.ie/taxi-driver-check/

mod note - as coward him or herself has taken the video down pending reporting it, i'm removing any info gleaned from it. and i'll let people do their own sleuthing, plus there's not a guarantee that the check performed is going to be 100% accurate nor that the licence holder was driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

rubadub wrote: »
    edited out

https://www.psv.ie/taxi-driver-check/

mod note - as coward him or herself has taken the video down pending reporting it, i'm removing any info gleaned from it. and i'll let people do their own sleuthing, plus there's not a guarantee that the check performed is going to be 100% accurate nor that the licence holder was driving.
    Just to explain how it works, if you do the check at the time in question the driver detail that is returned WILL be the actual driver. They are obliged to update the NTA on a live basis with who is driving the taxi. If they don't, they get fined. So it doesn't just display the license holder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not a near miss, but what an absolute moron. Taxi had earlier overtaken me, gave me lots of room but oncoming car had to slow

https://streamable.com/z3xcl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Twice the arsehoolishness for the price of one - an audi taxi driver!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just to explain how it works, if you do the check at the time in question the driver detail that is returned WILL be the actual driver. They are obliged to update the NTA on a live basis with who is driving the taxi. If they don't, they get fined. So it doesn't just display the license holder.

Experience has taught me that this is not the case if going by plate number and that reporting it bears no fruit unless you were a passenger at the time.

• Advertisement

Martin567 wrote: »
    Just to play devil's advocate slightly (probably not relevant to any of your incidents above) but I see a problem sometimes with the zebra crossings in High St, particularly the one at the Market Cross.

Due to the narrowness of the street and footpath, I've seen people emerge from the Market Cross and straight out onto the crossing in 2-3 paces. So even the most careful motorist can have someone suddenly stepping out who wasn't visible at all a second or two earlier.

To argue against the devils advocate, you should be driving slowly and carefully enough to prepare for this scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

CramCycle wrote: »
    Experience has taught me that this is not the case if going by plate number and that reporting it bears no fruit unless you were a passenger at the time.

I've reported a number and the NTA have fined them. I think it's only 50 quid but still.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Weepsie wrote: »
    Not a near miss, but what an absolute moron. Taxi had earlier overtaken me, gave me lots of room but oncoming car had to slow

https://streamable.com/z3xcl

Driver was well aware that was a 1 way system as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Of course he was, pedal to the metal as soon as there was a gap!

I've reported a number and the NTA have fined them. I think it's only 50 quid but still.

I tried and they told me i wasn't a passenger and therefore couldn't, I wasn't that pushed about looking further into it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Completely. 2 cars in front of him were going to go that way, but both turned back around. I think they might have been from out of town though and someone told them there was no through road, despite the fact you can just get back to chesterfield avenue by taking a left.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Weepsie wrote: »
    Completely. 2 cars in front of him were going to go that way, but both turned back around. I think they might have been from out of town though and someone told them there was no through road, despite the fact you can just get back to chesterfield avenue by taking a left.

I have to admit, when I'm on the bicycle, that's where I exit the park. But not on the road, I get up onto the path and very slowly cycle to the gate giving any pedestrian priority on the footpath.
    Then cross the road at the pedestrian lights.

It's the only place I mount the footpath and I always feel guilty about it. Maybe I should walk with the bike instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

https://goo.gl/maps/KvNNqNFNf3CyDTEK9

In the car rather than on the bike, and in fairness there wasn't anybody on the stretch at the time, but I saw a taxi driver pull along this footpath rather than following the road an extra 50m around here. His window was down when I caught him at the lights so mentioned it was a footpath.

"Yeah, I know, I can't see without my glasses though" followed by a laugh.

Didn't know how to reply to that one. Blind as a bat - your local professional drivers ladies and gentlemen.

Thats the zebra crossing I go over quite a bit, it has gotten to the point where people are surprised when I stop for them to cross.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There's a roundabout near my house that I cycle through everyday. It's too wide to be a single lane. The same thing has happened to me the last two days.

I go into the middle of the lane as I get to the roundabout, signal right and enter the roundabout. Car behind me also enters the roundabout, overtakes me on the left in the roundabout and also turns right in front of me. Pulled hard on the brakes to avoid crashing into them.

Same thing, two consecutive days. Well, the second one was a very large van whose driver was on the phone.

I didn't want to but I'm tempted to get cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Left hooked this morning in Killester by a car who overtook me to then pull into Super Valu. I'm sure whatever he bought was very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Nearly got t-boned by some muppet in the Phoenix Park this morning - heading down Chesterfield Avenue, last roundabout before the Park Gate Street gates. Just came out on to the roundabout from my left, almost clipped me. Weird thing was, we held eye contact before hand. It was like he just decided "ah feck it, just some fella on a bike. What can happen to me."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Heading downhill along Botanic road yesterday, not going too fast, probably 25 or so. Taxi pulls up alongside and then gradually starts slowing and pulling to the left. No indicator but id anticipated so I slowed and fell behind. he then stops and gets beeped out of it by the cars behind. As I pull out and past him I ask him what the hell he thinks he's doing... His response? "I'm a taxi, I'm a taxi".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I find that living down in Cork for the last couple of years I now cycle way less than I ever did. Not least for the lack of provision to make cycling enjoyable i.e. cycle lanes etc., but moreso because of the serious contempt drivers have for cyclists down here I find.

Two near misses in the space of 10-15 minutes this morning. It's truly appalling. I never really experienced this in Dublin to the same extent (not even close), but I suppose the idea that people cycle in the city is generally something accepted in Dublin and largely because there is a half-decent infrastructure put in place to actually enjoy it. It's lunatic after lunatic in Cork.

Edit: Just to add, 6 deaths in a month (not all cycling related) in Cork is a pretty damning statistic to say something is clearly wrong here and needs to be properly addressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭hesker

I find that living down in Cork for the last couple of years I now cycle way less than I ever did. Not least for the lack of provision to make cycling enjoyable i.e. cycle lanes etc., but moreso because of the serious contempt drivers have for cyclists down here I find.

Two near misses in the space of 10-15 minutes this morning. It's truly appalling. I never really experienced this in Dublin to the same extent (not even close), but I suppose the idea that people cycle in the city is generally something accepted in Dublin and largely because there is a half-decent infrastructure put in place to actually enjoy it. It's lunatic after lunatic in Cork.

Think you’re overstating it a bit. I’ve been cycling to work in Cork for the last 5 years. Part city part country. Meet a few lunatics and impatient assholes but plenty of considerate drivers too. From reading this thread over the same period I firmly believe Dublin is much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

hesker wrote: »
    Think you’re overstating it a bit. I’ve been cycling to work in Cork for the last 5 years. Part city part country. Meet a few lunatics and impatient assholes but plenty of considerate drivers too. From reading this thread over the same period I firmly believe Dublin is much worse.

That fair enough. There's no reason for me to argue the point. That's just my perspective on cycling in Cork. Have you cycled regularly in Dublin? I've cycled regularly in both cities and I feel I cycle a lot more defensively down here.

It could be a country thing, as in people commute from areas (places like Bandon, Macroom, Carrigaline) with stretches of road with a 100kph limit - maybe the frequency in travelling up and exceeding these speeds is just normalised/habituated and tempering it can give rise to frustration in more built-up areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

Maynooths newest cycle lane, KCC are so proud of their creation they also retrofitted a bus stop into it, I won't be using it again.

https://streamable.com/edpjn

That fair enough. There's no reason for me to argue the point. That's just my perspective on cycling in Cork. Have you cycled regularly in Dublin? I've cycled regularly in both cities and I feel I cycle a lot more defensively down here.

It could be a country thing, as in people commute from areas (places like Bandon, Macroom, Carrigaline) with stretches of road with a 100kph limit - maybe the frequency in travelling up and exceeding these speeds is just normalised/habituated and tempering it can give rise to frustration in more built-up areas.

Haven’t cycled in Dublin since the 80s but as I said my opinion on Dublin is formed from reading this thread over the years.

But it probably only takes one or two bad experiences to form a really strong opinion on a place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hesker wrote: »
    Haven’t cycled in Dublin since the 80s but as I said my opinion on Dublin is formed from reading this thread over the years.
    what's the balance of cork to dublin posters here though? greater dublin has a population about 10 times that of cork, would be curious if we see a similar ratio of posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I cycled loads when I lived in cork (2013 - 2014)
    Really enjoyed it and no bad experience comes to mind after thousands of KM. Mostly in rural areas within 50km of the City, mixture of R and N roads.

what's the balance of cork to dublin posters here though? greater dublin has a population about 10 times that of cork, would be curious if we see a similar ratio of posters.

I would think there would be a lot more posters from Dublin given the higher population but it’s not just a numbers game.

Take taxis for example. By and large in Cork I have found taxi drivers to be quite patient and considerate. I have had no bad encounters with any yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

tnegun wrote: »
    Maynooths newest cycle lane, KCC are so proud of their creation they also retrofitted a bus stop into it, I won't be using it again.

https://streamable.com/edpjn

Great design (not!) - the bike lane chucks you back onto the road just before a junction, so guys like that van driver emerging from the side road can (almost) legitimately say "the cyclist came out of nowhere" (because they're only looking for "real" traffic on the road).

If we had a ranking system for poor bike lane design that would be a contender for being among the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

I know its awful less than 6 months old too :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement