Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This is why you are safer not using most of the bike lanes in Ireland. Just expect drivers to shout and beep at you for not using the lane.
    No bike lane is far safer than a poorly designed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

tnegun wrote: »
    I know its awful less than 6 months old too :(
    That particular bike lane came up in one of those "perfectly good new cycle lanes and I was stuck behind one of 'them' for_ages_" threads. I think I pointed out the flaw of it dropping you at the junction, but with the kink now it's worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

Have been beeped and shouted at for not using it, normally only use the the first section from McDonalds to the lights but got distracted and stayed on this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Why is this even still happening? Either widen the road or just leave it and save the money for something else. Cyclists have been so vocal about these sort of lanes for years. Surely it's a misuse of tax payers money at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

It worse than that despite having a load of room on the other side of the fence planning was granted as is. The lane was bad enough and then made worse when a bus stop was installed on it complete with yield signs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tnegun wrote: »
    I know its awful less than 6 months old too :(
    Bear in mind that KCC are planning on a Maynooth Eastern Bypass starting at that junction with some more of the usual wonderful cycling facilities...
    http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PublicConsultations-Part8Schemes/RoadsandTransportation/MaynoothEasternRingRoadPlRefP82019-08/135602Scanned%20Document.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Well, just witnessed a fine example of the type of cyclist that makes us all look like twats.

Crossing Samuel beckett bridge few mins ago headimg in the direction of convention centre, green man to cross, cyclists got their green to go across the bridge and 1 decides to turn left to convention centre (which he shouldnt have) and he crashed into a pedestrian, gently i may add.

Starts readimg the riot act to pedestrian about how he had the cyclists light, which any of us who cycle in that spot know the pedestrians have right of way, and as far as i am aware that cyclist light is to go straight over the bridge.

Holy **** though, the guy he hit lol!
    Decent looking office type who suddenly morphed into 'I'll box the head off ye you ****ing wanker' haha!

I dont know whats worse, the fact the cyclist dismounting to follow him and nearly get decapitated or me not stopping it.

This time im on the pedestrians side though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

italodisco wrote: »
    Well, just witnessed a fine example of the type of cyclist that makes us all look like twats.
    Are you sure he didn't just make himself look like a twat?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Are you sure he didn't just make himself look like a twat?

True, but it just reinforces the 'them vs us' attitude .

I'm cycling nearly 30 years now, commuting via bicycle 20 odd years and I've not hit someone.

Even if that guy this morning had all the right of way in the world he should have avoided hitting that guy but I seen it myself and he made no effort at all, looked intentional but at least he slowed down lol !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I saw that a motorist hit a pole which then fell on top of a man who died as a result the other day. I don't remember any motorists reacting by saying "she's making us all look like twats".

"Them vs us" only exists and only gets reinforced if that's what people want to happen. I've no hostility towards any other road user, unless they endanger people and in which case it's only that specific road user that's the focus of my ire, no matter what their mode of transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭buffalo

I think the only thing reinforcing the 'them vs us' attitude is you saying how one cyclist makes us all look like twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

buffalo wrote: »
    I think the only thing reinforcing the 'them vs us' attitude is you saying how one cyclist makes us all look like twats.

This attitude needs to be maintained otherwise policy makers may actually have to do something which benefits all road users. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Well, just witnessed a fine example of the type of cyclist that makes us all look like twats.!

a) He makes himself look like a twat; cyclists are not linked like Siamese twins;
    b) Please don't use a full stop and an exclamation mark to punctuate the same sentence. It makes punctuators look like twats. Besides, it hurts me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Starts readimg the riot act to pedestrian about how he had the cyclists light, which any of us who cycle in that spot know the pedestrians have right of way, and as far as i am aware that cyclist light is to go straight over the bridge.

I don't think you're correct here. There is no direction indicated on the cyclist green light, so it applies to cyclists going any direction. Also, if the cyclist had green, then the pedestrian had red.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I saw that a motorist hit a pole which then fell on top of a man who died as a result the other day. I don't remember any motorists reacting by saying "she's making us all look like twats

To make matters worse , I heard he was wearing a blue t-shirt as well- making all us blue t shirt wearers look like twats. Grrrrrr....

I don't think you're correct here. There is no direction indicated on the cyclist green light, so it applies to cyclists going any direction. Also, if the cyclist had green, then the pedestrian had red.

I was standing with roughly 20 people, the red man went green, we crossed the road, some guy on a bike cycled into the side of a pedestrian on the outside of the group.

I have full use of my faculties, as did the rest of those who waited for the green man.

Green man, cross road. Basic green cross code:pac:

Looking at the comments, its no wonder as a cyclist i find myself pissed off by other cyclists.

But hey, if you think its fine to hit a pedestrian crossing on a green man because 'cyclists are entitled' or because i made a factual statement regarding a few bad eggs making cyclists look bad then you really need to get off the bike.

I was standing with roughly 20 people, the red man went green, we crossed the road, some guy on a bike cycled into the side of a pedestrian on the outside of the group.

I have full use of my faculties, as did the rest of those who waited for the green man.

Green man, cross road. Basic green cross code:pac:

You said "cyclists got their green to go across the bridge". Did the cyclist have the green light or not?

They changed the sequence at that junction recently. Cyclists get the green first, while pedestrians have the red. Most pedestrians ignore the red and cross anyway.

Is that what happens?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Does it really matter, a pedestrian was on the road, by the sounds of it the cyclist could stop, Lifting the pedestrian out of it achieves nothing. Say careful there if they were in the wrong was as far as it should have went.

regrettably there are a small number of people who will not notice everyone else doing the right thing, and paint every cyclist in their mind with the same brush. You'll never change their minds, don't try.

Looking at the comments, its no wonder as a cyclist i find myself pissed off by other cyclists.

But hey, if you think its fine to hit a pedestrian crossing on a green man because 'cyclists are entitled' or because i made a factual statement regarding a few bad eggs making cyclists look bad then you really need to get off the bike.

I don't think what you described is fine, the guy on the bike sounds like a twat to me.

Notice I said guy on a bike rather than cyclist because "cyclist" makes it sound like me and said twat are in some sort of club together when in reality I don't know him from Adam and I would likely have nothing in common with him other than that I sometimes use a bike as well.

• Advertisement

I think it matters a lot as to whether the cyclist had green and pedestrian had red or vice versa.

Here's how it looked this evening - you can see a bunch of pedestrians crossing against their red light;

https://streamable.com/pxdeq

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think it matters a lot as to whether the cyclist had green and pedestrian had red or vice versa.

Here's how it looked this evening - you can see a bunch of pedestrians crossing against their red light;

https://streamable.com/pxdeq

Doesn't change the opinion that if a pedestrian was on the road, rightly or wrongly, you stop, cyclist, motorist, whatever.

TBF he sounds like a twat whether the light was green or not.

More calm and restraint across the board in general benefits all users of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭buffalo

Those pedestrians are making all of us with feet look bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

As most others have said I think it's piss poor behaviour by the guy on the bike regardless of who had the green light and worse again if the peds had green.

It's the association of his actions with the view of people on bikes in general that I can't agree with. His behaviour has absolutely nothing to do with me, or you or anyone else that uses a bike and we shouldn't be tarred by his actions. Equally as I said on the last page, motorists aren't grouped in such a negative light despite the lethal actions of some other motorists. Most people make the same point - if you want to take that as us saying that it was fine to hit a pedestrian then so be it.

tldr: that guy was a twat and a few bad eggs don't make people on bikes in general look bad any more than a few bad eggs make all people who drive look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Steoller wrote: »
    Update on the above:

Incident took place on 15th of February. I had attended a local policing meeting on 29th of March, raised my concern that I hadn't gotten any call after 6 weeks. The Superintendent asked the Community Garda present to take my details.

I got a call yesterday from the local Community Garda. The member who was assigned my report had tried to call me twice, apparently - I have not received calls, missed or otherwise. Benefit of the doubt - maybe the Trafficwatch agent took my details down wrong.

I've been asked to give a statement next week, and submit any footage.

Update: I finally had direct contact with the Garda handling my issue, almost 6 months after the incident. Arranged to meet, and gave a statement last night. Delay was caused by wrong details being passed on from trafficwatch, so the lesson here is double check your submissions.

Now we play the waiting game. again.

We had the green man to cross (I was on foot) , the cyclist was roaring about how he had the green light for cyclists so I took it in good faith that maybe he did as well .

Whilst getting the green pedestrian light to cross the sound was also audible.

So if what your saying is right then the cyclist was lying , which makes him another level of arse altogether.

I don't know why people bother arguing, life is so much easier simply saying 'ah god sorry chap' and leaving it at that.

Steoller wrote: »
    Update: I finally had direct contact with the Garda handling my issue, almost 6 months after the incident. Arranged to meet, and gave a statement last night. Delay was caused by wrong details being passed on from trafficwatch, so the lesson here is double check your submissions.

Now we play the waiting game. again.
    Good to see it finally progressing, but isn't there a time limit for such offences - shorter than six months afaik.

We had the green man to cross (I was on foot) , the cyclist was roaring about how he had the green light for cyclists so I took it in good faith that maybe he did as well .

Whilst getting the green pedestrian light to cross the sound was also audible.

So if what your saying is right then the cyclist was lying , which makes him another level of arse altogether.

I don't know why people bother arguing, life is so much easier simply saying 'ah god sorry chap' and leaving it at that.
    That's a bit different to your original statement: "cyclists got their green to go across the bridge"

• Advertisement

Maybe cyclists aren't our biggest problem at that bridge;

https://streamable.com/zmzvt

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement