Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

All the nutso drivers were on the M50 and N3. Saw one do a last minute bail over the hatched markings on an exit lane to get back into the M50. Possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Weepsie wrote: »
    All the nutso drivers were on the M50 and N3. Saw one do a last minute bail over the hatched markings on an exit lane to get back into the M50. Possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen

Happens quite regularly. They had to put down wands in the hatched area around the N4 junction to stop people doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

something in the air today. 60km spin, and every overtake was considered and courteous.

Have to agree, a cyclists waited opposite a pull in spot to allow me to pass safely( I was coming against him on a narrow road)
    First time it's happened

Pleasant commute this morning as well. I think traffic's a bit lighter as it's last week before the schools come back so everyone's less stressed. Roll on the fun next week though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Stark wrote: »
    Pleasant commute this morning as well. I think traffic's a bit lighter as it's last week before the schools come back so everyone's less stressed. Roll on the fun next week though :/

I was back on the bike this morning after a week off. Noticed traffic a bit heavier around castleknock / quays - some schools I think have started back already.

Hats off to the bint trough who squeezed by me here.

https://goo.gl/maps/fLbvwxT6xDDZSzwp8

Despite taking the lane and gesturing for her to back off (she was tailgating me ridiculously close, I was behind a car in front, ticking along at 35kph ish) she kept at it, eventually overtakin me and squeezing past me into oncoming traffic. Much worse for the cyclist in front - she almost took him out overtaking him further on and left hooking him. Complete disregard and selfish driving. Ah well, at least she made it a few seconds earlier to that red light at castleknock gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Noticed same yesterday, lots of other-side-of-the-road overtakes :eek:

But it was a lovely morning and I had my 3yo in a hamax seat on the back which seems to make people more considerate. I may consider leaving the seat on for my commutes with a doll in it ;)

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I was back on the bike this morning after a week off. Noticed traffic a bit heavier around castleknock / quays - some schools I think have started back already.

Today is a "Croke Park" day afaik so teachers would be back in school. First years will be back tomorrow and classes start back in full on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

hesker wrote: »
    Could you explain what he did wrong here. I’m not seeing it. Was it before the start of the video or the bit where he was on the roundabout.

I mean I can see the vid but I can’t see the issue.

I also cannot see what was wrong here.

Today is a "Croke Park" day afaik so teachers would be back in school. First years will be back tomorrow and classes start back in full on Monday.

Each school chooses its own closed days pretty much. A lot of schools won't have teachers back til Wednesday and pupils til Thursday.

Some are all in from today, and secondary schools likely have 1st year inductions today. I noticed slightly more traffic in Blanchardstown, but nothing like the chaos I expect from Thursday on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Neighbour of mine (teacher) was in for a staff day last Friday, with first pupils back in today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Nearly hit this sign planted in the cycle lane, sun had a part to play ,thankfully the car had given me room for my swerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

Not a near miss this evening but a hit...for a rat! Coming down off Howth head and the little critter scuttled across the road in front of me. Tried to run back the way he came, and ended up under my back wheel :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... as it's last week before the schools come back... :/
    .... A lot of schools won't have teachers back til Wednesday and pupils til Thursday....
    :confused:

My daughter returned to school last Thursday (22nd).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

:confused:

My daughter returned to school last Thursday (22nd).

Laughing at the thought of your kid down at the school messing about all day and having great craic as part of an elaborate ruse to get out of the house and away from the parental units

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

These two are from Saturday but, due to work, I'm only getting to post them now. After a glorious spin around Wicklow I've just gone past Djouce and started down the Old Long Hill towards Enniskerry. As it's known for it's hazards I would always hold back a bit. Just as I approach the side road at the top of 'The Wall' this beaut appears. Hit the brakes as a matter of course but then the spidey senses kicked in and I pulled a bit harder. Even before he moved, and even though he looked directly at me, I knew he was going to go. Thankfully the bike I was on has discs. When I checked later I had been doing 64kph at this point. No point reporting it due to the yellow number plates. The worst thing was he let a roar out at me like I was somehow wrong:

A short while ago I posted 3 close passes from the same day and the replies I got suggested I was too far to the left so I reviewed the footage and had to agree - lesson learned. Since then I've taken lanes in a major way and this is the 20 bends from Enniskerry to the N11, at Bray. I stayed out the whole length of the road (easy to clip along at 40-45kph) and only moved in to the edge to hop up on the path to take the flyover across the N11. This professional driver not only didn't slow down, he didn't even cross the centre line in what is a large car. He was so close I could have touched the car:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

That last one was a shocker. Definitely on to traffic watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Cycling home yesterday evening as i passed a multitude of stopped cars and the smell of fumes in the warm weather. Oh how i missed this 😷

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cycling home yesterday evening as i passed a multitude of stopped cars and the smell of fumes in the warm weather. Oh how i missed this ��

Seen tons of vans all of a sudden churning out black smoke, happens occasionally but yesterday there were a few on my commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Cycling home yesterday evening as i passed a multitude of stopped cars and the smell of fumes in the warm weather. Oh how i missed this ��

Cycling in this morning, I'd to go via Kilmainham so cycled along the canal from there into town. I couldn't get over the noise pollution, even from just idling vehicles. Then there was the motorbike which seemed like it was tuned to be as loud as possible...so much noise, so much air pollution :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I know this thread is for vehicle/cyclist near misses but I've seen some appalling behaviour from cyclists in recent weeks/months. Observing red lights has totally gone out the window, which in some cases I'm guilty of myself but there's more and more people who just plow through a junction.

What prompted me to make this post though, was yesterday morning on the NCR, a cyclist having to take pretty drastic evasive action to prevent themselves running over I'm guessing a 4 year old who was crossing the road at a green man. Just cycled straight through the red light at speed, didn't give a **** about the pedestrians. If it was my child I'd be livid. It's really getting on my nerves seeing stuff like this.

• Advertisement

Hats off to the bint trough who squeezed by me here.

https://goo.gl/maps/fLbvwxT6xDDZSzwp8

Despite taking the lane and gesturing for her to back off (she was tailgating me ridiculously close, I was behind a car in front, ticking along at 35kph ish) she kept at it, eventually overtakin me and squeezing past me into oncoming traffic. Much worse for the cyclist in front - she almost took him out overtaking him further on and left hooking him. Complete disregard and selfish driving. Ah well, at least she made it a few seconds earlier to that red light at castleknock gates.

Same spot, next day, same close pass. Going to have to evaluate my route to work. Already have one report with video with the Gardai since earlier in the year when a guy in the van tried to push me off the road there. Only going to get worse now that the mayhem of schools being back is upon us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

There was a program on Channel 5 last night "War on Britain's roads" - It was the most balanced program I've seen on Car Vs Bike. Car drivers who had clashed with cyclists were critiquing other drivers for their clashes with cyclists and vice versa.

There was one scene where a cycle cop caught up with a guy on a motorbike who had been speeding - the guy had no insurance and went to jail

The scariest bit was the cycle couriers racing each other across London..

This is one of the situations referenced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fqACT1jNV0

Same spot, next day, same close pass. Going to have to evaluate my route to work. Already have one report with video with the Gardai since earlier in the year when a guy in the van tried to push me off the road there. Only going to get worse now that the mayhem of schools being back is upon us.

I very, very occassionally go that way. Always feel like someone is in a rush behind me there more than anywhere alse in D15. Are college road and whites road options?

With that said, I don't think anyone walks or cycles to Castleknock college or Mount Sackville, so imagine traffic is bad on college road at least

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I saw a strange one on the way to work this morning a guy on a bike deliberately crashed into the back of a motorbike on dorset street.

The motorbike was in the bus lane but way right so the cyclist had loads of room, the cyclist swerved at the side of the motorbike 2 or 3 times and the motorbike didn't react at all, the cyclist then slowed down moved over and cycled straight into the back of the motorbike when it stopped and nearly came off the bike

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    I saw a strange one on the way to work this morning a guy on a bike deliberately crashed into the back of a motorbike on dorset street.

The motorbike was in the bus lane but way right so the cyclist had loads of room, the cyclist swerved at the side of the motorbike 2 or 3 times and the motorbike didn't react at all, the cyclist then slowed down moved over and cycled straight into the back of the motorbike when it stopped and nearly came off the bike

I very, very occassionally go that way. Always feel like someone is in a rush behind me there more than anywhere alse in D15. Are college road and whites road options?

With that said, I don't think anyone walks or cycles to Castleknock college or Mount Sackville, so imagine traffic is bad on college road at least

Castleknock college is usually grid locked from just after the m50 bridge at Carpenterstown road to the lights at whites lane, so can be tricky. At least you don’t need to worry about a close pass :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Ugh. Traffic was intense this morning. So much impatience emanating from drivers out of cars. It really must be grim to have to sit in those self created traffic jams every morning. What a depressing way to start the day.

In my own near miss, I had a guy pull right out in front of me from that left slip lane at Milltown out onto Sandford Road as I was coming straight through from Clonskeagh

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3185179,-6.2423295,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s_pOIPKFNA3n98tLbBhEfJA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D_pOIPKFNA3n98tLbBhEfJA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D246.21805%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

I jammed on the brakes and was able to just stop myself from hitting the car and let out a roar. He then proceeded to drive down the bike lane with me behind him. Caught up with him, as you usually do on those kind of busy mornings and gestured for him to roll down the window for a chat. He gestured that he couldn't hear me because he had earphones in and that he also would not be willing to engage in a chat with me. So, I did a 'Joanna Donnelly' and I placed my bike in front of his car and went to the driver's side for chat, which we then conducted while a fat pr*ck in an even fatter Range Rover sat on his horn behind. The lights were still red at this point. It was a very spur of the moment decision and I probably won't be repeating it as I'm aware I could end up meeting the wrong person but I was just so annoyed at his awful driving putting me in the danger.

Then I witnessed a guy on a bike being left hooked by a taxi driver on Aungier Street. Contact was made but the guy managed to keep himself on the bike. The taxi slowed, the passenger said 'are you alright?' and then the taxi driver continued on slowly, no one got out of the car to see if the guy was ok. I stopped and spoke to the guy and told him if he wanted to stop the taxi and call the guards I would act as a witness but he said he was alright. The car behind the taxi, who had close passed me further back came around the corner then with his window down and shouted something about a 'helmet'. Funnily enough my helmet hadn't stopped him close passing me earlier.

I despair for humanity this morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Vel wrote: »
    Ugh. Traffic was intense this morning. So much impatience emanating from drivers out of cars. It really must be grim to have to sit in those self created traffic jams every morning. What a depressing way to start the day.

In my own near miss, I had a guy pull right out in front of me from that left slip lane at Milltown out onto Sandford Road as I was coming straight through from Clonskeagh

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3185179,-6.2423295,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s_pOIPKFNA3n98tLbBhEfJA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D_pOIPKFNA3n98tLbBhEfJA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D246.21805%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

I jammed on the brakes and was able to just stop myself from hitting the car and let out a roar. He then proceeded to drive down the bike lane with me behind him. Caught up with him, as you usually do on those kind of busy mornings and gestured for him to roll down the window for a chat. He gestured that he couldn't hear me because he had earphones in and that he also would not be willing to engage in a chat with me. So, I did a 'Joanna Donnelly' and I placed my bike in front of his car and went to the driver's side for chat, which we then conducted while a fat pr*ck in an even fatter Range Rover sat on his horn behind. The lights were still red at this point. It was a very spur of the moment decision and I probably won't be repeating it as I'm aware I could end up meeting the wrong person but I was just so annoyed at his awful driving putting me in the danger.

Then I witnessed a guy on a bike being left hooked by a taxi driver on Aungier Street. Contact was made but the guy managed to keep himself on the bike. The taxi slowed, the passenger said 'are you alright?' and then the taxi driver continued on slowly, no one got out of the car to see if the guy was ok. I stopped and spoke to the guy and told him if he wanted to stop the taxi and call the guards I would act as a witness but he said he was alright. The car behind the taxi, who had close passed me further back came around the corner then with his window down and shouted something about a 'helmet'. Funnily enough my helmet hadn't stopped him close passing me earlier.

I despair for humanity this morning!!

As I said in my recent post about experiences on a bike in France: Here there are SPOILT CHILDREN driving on the roads. Massive sense of entitlement to do whatever they want and everything is always someone else's fault.

Not all of course, there's still plenty of good conscientious drivers in Ireland. But there's enough childish pr*cks to spoil the experience of being on a bike here (for me at least).

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I had my first cycle in a few weeks this morning.
    It was incident free! The only issues where some vehicles stopped in traffic too close to the curb. But there some drivers when moving that seen me and opened up space for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not a near miss but just an observation. Between yesterday and today I've noticed a sharp drop in the patience of drivers on my commute.
    Drivers more willing to overtake me along a stretch where they can pass with maybe two feet from me and them still inside the white line (even with no oncoming traffic).
    Not seen since before summer, there was a long tailback at the roundabout leaving Leixlip to travel towards the N4 J5. Still, it felt absolutely great passing them all until I reached the roundabout where for some reason cars frequently choose to move out of the lane onto the hatched markings making it more difficult for cyclists to enter the roundabout.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement