Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I had a very close call this morning.

I was driving along Terenure Road West towards the junction at the end with Templeogue Road, at Mitsubishi Motors, heading towards Rathgar. The traffic light was green in my favour to go.

A cyclist came speeding across the junction, breaking the red light on the Templeogue Road side, and cut straight out across in front of me. He didn't look left, or right, idiot.

I have it on dash cam, I wish I knew how to upload it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

And another very close call this morning here too. Coming from Portmarnock to Baldoyle on the coast road, taking a position about 1/3 into the lane thinking I had enough of the lane to deter others. How wrong I was. Traffic was heavy in the opposite direction, but a young fella in a merc decided I was holding him up and passed with I'd say 1cm from my bars. I bashed my fist on his window as he went passed.

This was closely followed by another bad one by another very new merc, no traffic this time and I reckon it was a punishment pass to be honest. I'll see what footage I got later.

Love it when schools are back...
    :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

CramCycle wrote: »
    Indeed, here was me driving around with the attitude that everyone else was an idiot, pedestrian, cyclist and motorist and prepared to act accordingly.

On a more serious note, the very last point (Rathgar Road point), it is the exact thing that every motorists should expect and I would be worried if the didn't. Be they Ped, Cylist or motorist, if there is an obstruction, I expect them to move out and adjust my driving/cycling/walking accordingly. Only a complete muppet wouldn't, congrats Dave, your not a complete muppet.

Actually, that is the same for the first point. Hmmm.

And the middle one, stupid yes, a possibility you should be prepared for, definitely.

Congrats Dave, your better than the average motorist by barely meeting the minimum standard that a motorist should meet :rolleyes:

It's easy to take a sarcastic cut at someone but isn't that just glossing over the point that Dave was making?

You are correct above about the duty of care that a motorist has in these situations. Surely the cyclists in these instances also have a duty of care, to themselves if nobody else? They shouldn't change lanes without either looking or signalling their intentions. Is it not ok for that to be pointed out too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I'm back on the bike commuting again after a hiatus.

Pretty sure I had my first punishment pass yesterday evening on the R113 towards Sandyford. I don't use the cycle lane on parts due to the awful surface. Some middle aged guy in a Prius close passed me waving his arms around, presumably outraged that I had the nerve to be on the road. Passed him again 20 seconds later when he raced up to a line of traffic :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Not that I need to excuse my actions but I was in the centre of the bus lane (as recommended by the RSA & Rules of the Road). Knowing how traffic can be on wet days along this stretch and because I'm effectively on slicks, I decided to follow a somewhat dry line which also allowed me to safely take control of the lane. Had a bus or taxi come up behind me I'd have happily moved out of their way.
    He was breaking the law by driving in the 24/7 bus lane. He got pissed off because I was blocking his empty lane and I had the nerve to point towards the full regular lane. When the I didn't get out of his way he beeped to command me to move left to the wet and somewhat poor surface of the cycle lane (why else beep when he knew I saw him?).
    He then agressively tried to pass me using the space between me in the centre of the lane and the queueing cars. There was not enough room. Had I not taken evasive action, I would be in a hospital or morgue now.

TLDR: he was an inconsiderate prick who felt that it is ok to illegally undertake queueing traffic and close pass a vulnerable road user cycling legally

You did nothing wrong. Often seen cars flying down that lane when I am out running there.

The cycle lane there can be very slippy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Pretty sure I had my first punishment pass yesterday evening on the R113 towards Sandyford.
    which end of the R113?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭McGrath5

which end of the R113?

Turned left of the N11 towards Sandyford Industrial estate.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I've had a number of close calls while driving recently. 3 in the last week, cyclists not looking before moving out right in front of me.

Going up Patrick St on Saturday night at the traffic lights where it goes into 3 lanes, I'm heading for the first lane but a cyclist moves out from the bike lane to pass someone. No lights, no shoulder check and no hand signal. Had to swerve around him or he would have just went straight into the car (Middle lane was empty, wouldn't normally swerve but didn't fancy dropping the anchor)

Driving home from work on Monday evening, coming up from Lucan village on the road towards Woodies a cyclist went from the path out onto the road as I was approaching. Lane is narrow enough so cars are close to the curb until the bus lane starts. Again no check, just straight onto the road.

Going down Rathgar Road on Sunday, a woman moved out to pass a parked car in the bike lane (not in operation). I slowed down because it was obvious but average motorist wouldn't have the foresight.

Shocking really, I couldn't imagine changing lanes without looking knowing there's traffic. Last thing I went is to swerve in front of a 1,500kg object at 50kph.

Dave you got to remember, the average dublin cyclists is dumb and selfish.
    They will never look behind to see it is safe before they make their move.

Today one was going up O'Connell Street the wrong way, thank god the gardai there pulled him in. But nothing will be done
    So you got to count for every move they make, treat them like a 3 year old child.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Since the schools are back, the amount of close passes have increased.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Turned left of the N11 towards Sandyford Industrial estate.
    that's the bit i cycle too. have had a few motorists blowing at me over the years; one woman on at least three different occasions. she gets my usual cheery wave.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Today one was going up O'Connell Street the wrong way, thank god the gardai there pulled him in. But nothing will be done
    So you got to count for every move they make, treat them like a 3 year old child.
    I'm not sure if this would reflect the actual statistics.
    How many thousands were out cycling today? How many did stupid things?

I saw plenty of motorists doing stupid things - does that make them all dumb and selfish and like a 3 year old?

I'm not sure if this would reflect the actual statistics.
    How many thousands were out cycling today? How many did stupid things?

I saw plenty of motorists doing stupid things - does that make them all dumb and selfish and like a 3 year old?

Yep i would actually say most road users in Dublin are dumb and selfish.
    Actually I think I am harsh on the 3 year old!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Presume you're whinging in the motors forum that the average Dublin driver is dumb & selfish too? 🙄

Presume you're whinging in the motors forum that the average Dublin driver is dumb & selfish too? ��

They don't have a near misses one there. Not much fun over there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yep i would actually say most road users in Dublin are dumb and selfish.

The main difference would be that the dumb and selfish cyclists aren't the ones that kill 2 or 3 people each week on the roads.

The main difference would be that the dumb and selfish cyclists aren't the ones that kill 2 or 3 people each week on the roads.

True but bad behaviour encourages more bad behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

For sure there's a certain subgroup of cyclists around Dublin (and no doubt other cities) that are queuing up for a Darwin Award, but I don't feel they're representative of the "average" cyclist.

The average cyclist is just a regular person who wants to get from A to B in one piece. because of being painfully aware of how any interaction with a motorised vehicle is going to turn out, they don't take many chances.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Martin567 wrote: »
    It's easy to take a sarcastic cut at someone but isn't that just glossing over the point that Dave was making?

You are correct above about the duty of care that a motorist has in these situations. Surely the cyclists in these instances also have a duty of care, to themselves if nobody else? They shouldn't change lanes without either looking or signalling their intentions. Is it not ok for that to be pointed out too?
    Of course not, i never said they should but Dave was making it sound as if he was somehow a superior driver for responding to what I would perceive as events all road users should be prepared for. The first and last one would fail you your driving test as it would have been clear from the description that this was a possibility. It does not excuse the cyclist behaviour but to paint it as some sort of next level driving skill is insane, it is the bare minimum the state expects in a driving test if you want to pass.
    First rule of road usage in Ireland, imagine everyone else is stupid and is about to do the stupidest thing possible and be ready for it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

True but bad behaviour encourages more bad behaviour

So you report every motorist you see do something dumb then or post in the motor forum like you have here?
    After all their dumb behavior is far more dangerous then a cyclist or pedestrian behaviour

Now I very much doubt you do report them or post in the motor forum, because I don't even live in Dublin but if I spent time reporting or posting about every dumb motorist who broke the law I'd likely waste about 40minutes of my life each day

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Pointless MGIF yesterday evening.

Main street Celbridge, I was coming from the Castletown gates, towards the bridge.

I slowed to let a 67 Dublin Bus into the lane, and it accelerated away from me toward the queue of traffic at the bridge. I was out in the lane to avoid dooring, and managed to get past the traffic calming islands, before Maroon-van man made his move, to shave 2 seconds off sitting behind a bus.

It was slow, steady, close and utterly pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I dont know if it's just me getting older and crankier, but I'm noticing more and more and blatent impatience and disregard of even the most basic rules of the road.

An examples from when I was out driving yesterday:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4354123,-6.2319423,3a,75y,26.95h,85.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYZ119aADTMt3_N9Gzv6Nmg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I was at this junction, turning right to head down to the roundabout. Traffic on the Naul Road is nearly bumper to bumper in both directions.

There were 2 cars ahead of me, turning left and merging slowly with the traffic going that way. I was turning right.

The positioning of the car of front of me was not tight enough to left that I could go right up to the line, so I'm waiting just behind him, indicating right, with good positioning just to left of the center line.

Behind me, 2 genii also wanting to go right decide they're being held up too much and pass me by pulling out out onto the wrong side of the road and on into the middle of the junction from the wrong side of the road (where there was nowhere to go anyway), so the 2nd genius also ended up blocking the road up for traffic going left.

I blame (general, not just driving) mobile phone use. It's given people the patience and attention span of a gnat.

And here's this mornings double whammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

And here's this mornings double whammy.

All three of those looked too close. The second one was complete madness.

Martin567 wrote: »
    All three of those looked too close. The second one was complete madness.

Only problem with the first overtake was that oncoming traffic was too close. They should have waited rather than risking a head on. But distance wise, it was fine. They made use of the full opposite lane, and it was 1.5M or more.

Others were of course ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

https://vimeo.com/user102485940/review/357564462/e0beb69b7c

Absolute tool, desperate to get past then brake checks me

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"Sorry, we couldn’t find that page
    Make sure you’ve typed the URL correctly, or try searching Vimeo. You could also watch one of the videos below instead."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

https://vimeo.com/user102485940/review/357564462/e0beb69b7c

Absolute tool, desperate to get past then brake checks me

This works https://vimeo.com/user102485940

"Sorry, we couldn’t find that page
    Make sure you’ve typed the URL correctly, or try searching Vimeo. You could also watch one of the videos below instead."

https://vimeo.com/357564462

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

That little stretch is horrible for a cyclist, and equally terrifying for motorists coming in the other direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Cabaal wrote: »
    So you report every motorist you see do something dumb then or post in the motor forum like you have here?
    After all their dumb behavior is far more dangerous then a cyclist or pedestrian behaviour

Now I very much doubt you do report them or post in the motor forum, because I don't even live in Dublin but if I spent time reporting or posting about every dumb motorist who broke the law I'd likely waste about 40minutes of my life each day

take a look at the dash cam threads, plenty of giving out about other drivers in them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement