Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

ganmo wrote: »
    take a look at the dash cam threads, plenty of giving out about other drivers in them

Usually the poster who gets given out to.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

Perfect, thanks lads. yeah awful but made worse by idiots!

And here's this mornings double whammy.

Chap on the other side of the road appears to have 3 cars patiently waiting behind him and all the crazies are following you it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

CramCycle wrote: »
    Of course not, i never said they should but Dave was making it sound as if he was somehow a superior driver for responding to what I would perceive as events all road users should be prepared for. The first and last one would fail you your driving test as it would have been clear from the description that this was a possibility. It does not excuse the cyclist behaviour but to paint it as some sort of next level driving skill is insane, it is the bare minimum the state expects in a driving test if you want to pass.

First rule of road usage in Ireland, imagine everyone else is stupid and is about to do the stupidest thing possible and be ready for it.

Eh, I'm not trying to make it sound like I'm an amazing driver. The point is that the majority of motorist's wouldn't consider the cyclist and would carry on without a second thought. It's safe to assume the cyclist won't shoulder check either.

Apart from the woman, the other two weren't obvious. That's why I mentioned them. The guy who overtook the cyclist wasn't gaining on the one in front. He was happily sitting behind them and only when I was about to pass did he dart out. The other guy was cycling along the path, no reason to expect him to dart out onto the road.

Don't see the need for the sarcasm and witty comments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I'm back on the bike commuting again after a hiatus.

Pretty sure I had my first punishment pass yesterday evening on the R113 towards Sandyford. I don't use the cycle lane on parts due to the awful surface.
    and a very similar experience all round for me this morning. first time in two months, had a guy blowing his horn several times, from probably 100m behind me to the point where he was passing me. he got a nice cheery wave.
    he then proceeded to tailgate the car in front of him for at least 100m. poor lad was having a bad day and it was only 7:30am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It's ground zero out there for traffic since the schools got back. A lot of people working with me, some of whom commute by car 3 - 5km away from south Dublin to central Dublin, have been dreading this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Pinch Flat wrote:
    A lot of people working with me, some of whom commute by car 3 - 5km away from south Dublin to central Dublin, have been dreading this week.

Good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Bumped off this morning. Car drifted into cycle lane and clipped me - f*cker didn't even stop. And by the time I regathered my wits they were gone to far to read the number plate.

Wasn't going overly fast (had seen them start to drift and had hit the brakes) so only a few scratches from the fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Hope you're ok, was there anyone else around to see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    It's ground zero out there for traffic since the schools got back. A lot of people working with me, some of whom commute by car 3 - 5km away from south Dublin to central Dublin, have been dreading this week.

Commuting 3km by car into the city should be a penalty point offence :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

And again I nearly got milled out of it this morning. Portmarnock village after 9am, traffic was light enough. Car attempting to join main road from my left, a stupid motorist on the opposite side of the road stopped to 'let them out' and of course they fly out just as I'm level with their front bumper. Queue, shouting and swerving at the same time. Really thought I was done for.

Caused by 2 things. 1. The idiot thinking they were being nice. You weren't, you are a danger to yourself and others. If you have right of way then proceed. 2. Person pulling out, you must make sure the way is clear before joining. Regardless of the fool waving at you.

September is always rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Steoller wrote: »
    Hope you're ok, was there anyone else around to see it?

Car behind them stopped to check I was ok. Few people at nearby bus stop came across as well.

Was back on the bike within a minute or so - just lucky I'd slowed beforehand

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

blackwhite wrote: »
    Bumped off this morning. Car drifted into cycle lane and clipped me - f*cker didn't even stop. And by the time I regathered my wits they were gone to far to read the number plate.

Wasn't going overly fast (had seen them start to drift and had hit the brakes) so only a few scratches from the fall.

Almost the same happened me but I got lucky and had stopped just in time as they drifted in. Driver was reading their phone, two kids in the back oblivious to it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

It is getting tiresome listening to posters giving out about cyclists...on the previous page and Irish Times today.
    I cycle 95% of the time but drove from Stillorgan into town yesterday on the N11. I ensured I never went over the speed limit and it was like I was parked, the vast vast majority of cars sped past me usually at 20-30 km faster than me and the speed limit. People talk about dangerous cyclists but this is much more serious!!! It saddens people do not focus on the speeding killing machines and vent at "idiot" cyclists

Sometimes my self and my son will play “let’s drive within the speed limit and see what happens” in and around our neighborhood. The amount of cars that tail gate, undertake in bus lanes or just overtake no matter what is gas. People have zero patience when behind the wheel of a car.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sometimes my self and my son will play “let’s drive within the speed limit and see what happens” in and around our neighborhood. The amount of cars that tail gate, undertake in bus lanes or just overtake no matter what is gas. People have zero patience when behind the wheel of a car.
    People are like that because when there's little enforcement of the rules and people know there's a very unlikely chance of getting caught doing something wrong.
    If people were better behaved (brought about by satisfactory levels of enforcement), I reckon traffic would move a lot better and it would be safer for all.
    What we, as a society, have allowed to form is a culture of selfishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I was reading today about Sweden. They have a novel way of encouraging people to be nice on the roads: a speed lottery. How it works is this:

Your speed is recorded everywhere. Certain places where, if you're within the speed limit, you're automatically entered into a mini lotto.

The best part is that the prizes(s) paid out in this lotto are funded directed by the goons that have been caught speeding.

Ireland's political class seem to lack any motivation and/or political courage to introduce these sort of innovative technological solutions to bring about safer roads. They seem genuinely scared of pissing off Joe and Josephine motorist too much by actually forcing them to obey the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Duckjob wrote: »
    I was reading today about Sweden. They have a novel way of encouraging people to be nice on the roads: a speed lottery. How it works is this:

Your speed is recorded everywhere. Certain places where, if you're within the speed limit, you're automatically entered into a mini lotto.

The best part is that the prizes(s) paid out in this lotto are funded directed by the goons that have been caught speeding.

Ireland's political class seem to lack any motivation and/or political courage to introduce these sort of innovative technological solutions to bring about safer roads. They seem genuinely scared of pissing off Joe and Josephine motorist too much by actually forcing them to obey the law.

I hope the prizes come in very different looking envelopes than any speeding tickets to avoid panic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Ha! I try that on the motorway interchanges where the posted speed limits drop to 50kph and 30kph on the bendy bits. It gets a bit shrieky when the family are on board as *everything* else is still rocketing along and the fear rises. You have to really keep an eye on people flying up behind you to judge if they have misjudged and are going to ram you. Bit like cycling on some roads!
    What would be the justification for flying around these bends, I wonder, bearing in mind that they are usually pretty short and pretty bendy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭fat bloke

So.... Most of the time you exceed the speed limit??? ;)

On the substantive point, I know what you mean I'm a serial obeyer. Fcuk the tailgators, I'm not risking points for others, and as long as you're smartly away from lights and up to speed, and making progress effectively, I find people are ok. Obeying the limit doesn't have to mean dawdling.

• Advertisement

I think I've worked out the new technology in cars, some sort of "invincacam" - it seems to see around corners. Did a solo cycle around kildare / Meath yesterday - deliberately used some of the country roads to avoid busy traffic and it's great to see motorists using this new fangled tech. It seems to really come into it;'s own on winding / narrow country roads

Anyway, it seems to go like this. Motorist overtakes in a silly spot - a blind corner or hump back bridge. The gadget looks around the corner, senses oncoming cars and the overtaking car sends a signal to the oncoming car "hey' I'm in the middle of the road". The oncoming cars breaks automatically and the lights flash, acknowledging that it's accommodating the overtaking car on the wrong side of the road. Overtaking car pulls in. Works a dream.

Oh yeah, bird in an E class Merc sails through the red at the Phoenix Park Castleknock gates this morning. Nearly T-Boned me and another cyclist tuning into the park on a Green Light. Just another day cycling in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

Had a bit of a run in with the driver of a 67x in the inbound bus lane at Dodsboro first he was right up behind me then needlessly overtook and pulled into the stop 100m further up at the foot bridge I wasn't too bothered and passed him but then he over took me again on the off ramp for Newcastle sounding the horn. When I caught up he was ranting about it being a dedicated bus lane and to get into the bike lane. I told him to check the next sign as it shows the bus and bike in the same lane but he was adamant I shouldn't be there. Lights went green so I left him to his rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

tnegun wrote: »
    Had a bit of a run in with the driver of a 67x in the inbound bus lane at Dodsboro first he was right up behind me then needlessly overtook and pulled into the stop 100m further up at the foot bridge I wasn't too bothered and passed him but then he over took me again on the off ramp for Newcastle sounding the horn. When I caught up he was ranting about it being a dedicated bus lane and to get into the bike lane. I told him to check the next sign as it shows the bus and bike in the same lane but he was adamant I shouldn't be there. Lights went green so I left him to his rant.

It really is quite something how aggressive bus drivers can be, and especially Dublin Bus.

They work for the state. It shouldnt be allowed.

In fairness I've had more positive than negative experiences with DB cycling this route over the past 3 years even had a driver apologize for pulling out in front of me from a stop - I didn't even think that one was that close! - saying that had an aggressive driver on this route last year too but didn't catch up that time could be the same guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

tnegun wrote: »

The dedicated cycle lane is on the footpath there. There signs showing that but also there is signs showing a bus and bike together !!!

Not sure the council know what they are doing there.

I know that, but the sign quite obviously depicts it as a shared lane and if you were to use the dedicated lane at that hour its usually blocked by the number passengers waiting at that stop, not to mention the lack of markings and its placement crossing the Lucan slip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Are all bus lanes considered bus+bike+taxi? Excluding contra-flow of course

I've always gone by the signage if unsure but there are obviously issues with that approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

So that's a mandatory use cycle track is it?

• Advertisement

Not for this one the bus lane starts with a sign showing a shared bus/bike lane. Then the bike lane suddenly starts from a footpath/bus stop just past it on the Leixlip on ramp with no dropped kerb to access it from the road. Then 100m later there's access(Well an entrance to a house) and a sign for a shared footpath/cycle track plus a sign for a shared bus/bike lane but you then have the dodgy crossing or the Lucan slip. It would be worth trying to use after the Lucan slip but there is no easy way to access it then 100m before the bus stop you can access it but as mentioned the queues of people waiting gather across it so it's pointless esp since the bus lane is signed as shared.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement