Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

xckjoo wrote: »
    Are all bus lanes considered bus+bike+taxi? Excluding contra-flow of course
    Taxis should not be allowed in bus lanes! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

tnegun wrote: »
    Not for this one the bus lane starts with a sign showing a shared bus/bike lane. Then the bike lane suddenly starts from a footpath/bus stop just past it on the Leixlip on ramp with no dropped kerb to access it from the road. Then 100m later there's access(Well an entrance to a house) and a sign for a shared footpath/cycle track plus a sign for a shared bus/bike lane but you then have the dodgy crossing or the Lucan slip. It would be worth trying to use after the Lucan slip but there is no easy way to access it then 100m before the bus stop you can access it but as mentioned the queues of people waiting gather across it so it's pointless esp since the bus lane is signed as shared.

Its very silly, its basically a footpath shared for everyone. They could of easily of done a better job but went for the cheapest solution but enough to get their grant for it. Its a great running surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Taxis should not be allowed in bus lanes! :(

Am i right in saying that a taxi can only use the lane if they have a fare onboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Am i right in saying that a taxi can only use the lane if they have a fare onboard?

Also when going to collect a fare, or "plying for trade"

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi-and-bus-licensing/taxi/operating-an-spsv/bus-lanes/
    The Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2012 permit taxis in the course of business to use normal (with-flow) bus lanes.

When Can a Taxi Use a Bus Lane?
    A taxi can use a normal (with-flow) bus lane only while it is operating as an SPSV – carrying a passenger, on the way to pick up a pre-booked customer, or plying for hire. Taxis must not use bus lanes if they are not operating as an SPSV – for example, driving home at the end of a shift, travelling on personal business, or transporting only goods and not passengers.

Taxis are not allowed to use contra-flow bus lanes (in which traffic travels in the opposite direction to the traffic beside it) under any circumstances.

Hackneys and limousines are not permitted to use bus lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Plying for trade me bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Interesting the bit about contra-flow. See taxis using contra-flow bus lanes all the time in Dublin.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just after seeing a cyclist on the M4 hard shoulder heading towards Dublin between Jcns 5 & 6.
    Idiot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I've seen a cyclist here before and when I called the gardai about it, it sounded like it's a frequent occurrence unfortunately

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You should see the number of tractors on the new stretch of the N11. Zero f*cks given by them or the Gardai. I meet one every.time I drive it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

CramCycle wrote: »
    You should see the number of tractors on the new stretch of the N11. Zero f*cks given by them or the Gardai. I meet one every.time I drive it.

Nothing wrong with that so long as they can meet the minimum legal speed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nothing wrong with that so long as they can meet the minimum legal speed

True but the ones I have met have been pulling big ass loads and were nowhere near 50kmph. Maybe they could hit it not pulling loads, and I suppose that's a confusing legal grey area. Either way, they were not travelling that speed. Two in he past month have had their rear lights insured by overhanging bails, others were just dragging g heavy loads. None showed signs of reaching the advertised (by the RSA) minimum speed limit although even their wording leaves much to interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

CramCycle wrote: »
    True but the ones I have met have been pulling big ass loads and were nowhere near 50kmph. Maybe they could hit it not pulling loads, and I suppose that's a confusing legal grey area. Either way, they were not travelling that speed. Two in he past month have had their rear lights insured by overhanging bails, others were just dragging g heavy loads. None showed signs of reaching the advertised (by the RSA) minimum speed limit although even their wording leaves much to interpretation.

They have to be capable of reaching such a speed but are not required to travel at that speed. Otherwise you have tailbacks where everyone is crawling along breaking the law...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Close pass at speed by a motorcyclist in a defence forces jacket on Conyngham road this morning. Then on the quays, had a compo chaser on crutches walk up to the edge of the footpath, stare at me, wait till I was too close to brake, then step out in front of me. Luckily I was able to swerve around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭secman

cdaly_ wrote: »
    They have to be capable of reaching such a speed but are not required to travel at that speed. Otherwise you have tailbacks where everyone is crawling along breaking the law...

They are great for drafting behind when doing 40 to 45 kph, have used them occasionally in Wexford and on n81 near blessington, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

^^^

You need great faith in the road surface drafting one of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

Hit a cyclist on a fixie while cycling this morning, coming up Kevin street through the junction with Wexford street. He passed the slip to go left onto Wexford street, and suddenly veered left across me causing me to jam on while hitting into the side of him. We both stayed upright, though my right arm took a good smack while trying to make sure he didn't come down on top of me.

How he stayed up I've no idea. He mumbled an apology about should've looked, but why he was making that turn having already passed the slip to go left is still baffling me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I had moved out a bit as it wasn't clear what was happening with the parked Mondeo. It must have annoyed the driver of the black vehicle who revved his engine, and overtook fairly close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

Bike lane what bike lane!! After I passed her and she saw me I had my arm out to turn right but she was having none of that and stayed on my back wheel then after skipping to the top of the queue slows to cut in but isn't let and changes her mind as I try to pass on the left again.

https://streamable.com/vmh06

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

Where the blazes were they going? They were all over the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭plodder

I had moved out a bit as it wasn't clear what was happening with the parked Mondeo. It must have annoyed the driver of the black vehicle who revved his engine, and overtook fairly close.
    That situation really annoys me. What did he think you were going to do? You did exactly the right thing imo, which was gradually move out in plenty of time. He wouldn't have attempted to overtake a car that was passing the obstruction. So, why did he think he was entitled to pass a cyclist unsafely?

tnegun wrote: »
    Bike lane what bike lane!! After I passed her and she saw me I had my arm out to turn right but she was having none of that and stayed on my back wheel then after skipping to the top of the queue slows to cut in but isn't let and changes her mind as I try to pass on the left again.

https://streamable.com/vmh06

No patience at all from the driver, I really hate seeing drivers do that when everyone else waits their turn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Four close passes on the way from Portmarnock to Baldoyle this morning.
    To be fair, one chap didn't see me at all cause he was glued to his phone which was in a cradle in the centre console.
    F'in clown.

Cant wait until that path is ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

As Conor Faughnan very clearly articulated on Radio 1 the other day, new laws are useless without enforcement. 30kph limit in housing estates hasn't had any visible impact on how people drive imo.

As Conor Faughnan very clearly articulated on Radio 1 the other day, new laws are useless without enforcement. 30kph limit in housing estates hasn't had any visible impact on how people drive imo.

No one drives more than 20k in our estate and if anyone does go fast, they will have the neighbours onto them.

Especially when he said its grand to park on footpaths!!!

No one drives more than 20k in our estate and if anyone does go fast, they will have the neighbours onto them.

Do you think that's as a result of particularly narrow roads, speed bumps / other physical factors or just behavioural?

Our road isn't wide, ie if a car is parked legally on both sides of the road there wouldn't be enough space to pass through the gap. No speed bumps though and there's a long enough straight stretch of road that consistently sees people going well over 30kph.

Especially when he said its grand to park on footpaths!!!

I heard that separately and wish there was a facepalm emoji to respond more appropriately :pac:

I've criticised him on here in the past, thought he was very good on the segment with Neil Fox and then...

Do you think that's as a result of particularly narrow roads, speed bumps / other physical factors or just behavioural?

Our road isn't wide, ie if a car is parked legally on both sides of the road there wouldn't be enough space to pass through the gap. No speed bumps though and there's a long enough straight stretch of road that consistently sees people going well over 30kph.

Roads initially in are not narrow but have 2 speed ramps, after that i think it comes down to behavioural change as young kids play alot in the estate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

Steoller wrote: »
    Where the blazes were they going? They were all over the road!

Usually back out onto the motorway the queues backup to Lucan or further and these drivers slip surf to skip the queue on the mainline using the bus lane/exit ramp to get ahead.

No patience at all from the driver, I really hate seeing drivers do that when everyone else waits their turn

Nope and zero fcuks given, I know myself from driving that the lights last long enough to join that queue from where she started and you'll get through no problem

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement