Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Breezer wrote: »
    Ugh. Agreed. This is what I was getting at above. I'd much prefer no cycle lane to one that's too narrow (or has a bus/general traffic lane beside it that's half the width of a bus/car). At least if there's none there most people realise you have a right to share the road and pass you properly. If there's a cycle lane that you're not using because it's utter b*llocks, people think you're doing something wrong and start acting the clown. And if you use it, they stick to their lane which can barely/can't fit their vehicle and they put you at risk, while believing they've done nothing wrong.

I've been knocked off my bike trying to be a good boy and use these lanes (years ago). They can lean on the horn and blow a gasket all they like, I'm not doing it again.

At the same time though, quite possibly unstable people like that are in a big metal box, I'm on a bicycle. Being in the right doesn't guarantee safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Was almost doored while cycling through Bray yesterday evening. Then 150m up the road it almost happened again!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Effects wrote: »
    Was almost doored while cycling through Bray yesterday evening. Then 150m up the road it almost happened again!
    I always aim to keep a safe distance from any parked car for this reason

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

So do I, most of the time. I had enough clearance that a quick, small swerve meant I was safe.
    The second one was someone exiting a car in traffic while I was filtering.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on a reasonably narrow country road earlier, a chap in a black audi decided to gun it when i stuck my hand out in an abrupt 'don't ****ing well pass me' gesture, because i could see the oncoming tractor and he couldn't. he actually squirreled a bit under braking, he had to brake so hard. i'd say he'd have barely dented the tractor, and in a way i wish he had hit it. what a dope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

At the same time though, quite possibly unstable people like that are in a big metal box, I'm on a bicycle. Being in the right doesn't guarantee safety.
    What would have happened if I’d moved over? He’d have flown past me with little to no room to spare. Like I said, this is how I got knocked off my bike before. What I did prevented me from coming into contact with an unstable person in a big metal box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Breezer wrote: »
    What would have happened if I’d moved over? He’d have flown past me with little to no room to spare. Like I said, this is how I got knocked off my bike before. What I did prevented me from coming into contact with an unstable person in a big metal box.

I'd do the same.

That said It's a pretty sad reflection on the general mentality and sophistication of Irish drivers when, as someone on a bike you have to weigh up the relative danger of leaving space and being buzzed by careless/hostile drivers or taking the lane and getting possibly getting milled out of it by one of the more psychopathic ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Riding in the gutter certainly doesn't guarantee safety - it encourages dangerous overtakes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on a reasonably narrow country road earlier, a chap in a black audi decided to gun it when i stuck my hand out in an abrupt 'don't ****ing well pass me' gesture, because i could see the oncoming tractor and he couldn't. he actually squirreled a bit under braking, he had to brake so hard. i'd say he'd have barely dented the tractor, and in a way i wish he had hit it. what a dope.
    looking at strava, i think this happened a minute or two after i passed koutoubia (or who i think is koutoubia) going in the opposite direction - was on the road that runs behind sam dennigan's, up to the old graveyard near the oldtown/naul road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

I don't whether it's because I left the house five minutes later, so traffic levels were a bit heavier, or it's the morning getting darker, or the fine mist limiting visibility, but I had one near miss this morning with someone pulling out in front of me from a side road before they suddenly noticed me in the middle of the lane with my front light and they jammed on and waved an apology.

What was interesting was that I had four distinct terrible passes where the drivers weren't close to me, but were playing chicken with oncoming traffic. I usually only see about one a week of these sort, but this morning they were out in force, including this one by the Angler's Rest coming off the Strawberry Beds in Dublin:

Both drivers were thankfully going slowly enough. It of course made zero difference to the journey length of the overtaking driver. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

Bit of a mixed bag myself this morning a lot of perfect passes that I was thinking the weather and low light must be making people take more care then one try to pass me on a blind bend almost straight into a bus has to jam on and pull back in then shouts at me to keep in I almost killed him!! A few inexplicable passes to join a queue too if you can see the back queue in front why bother passing?? Also if the car in front has to cross the line to pass safely why would you pass me and keep all 4 wheels well inside the line some people beggar belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Sounds like a lot of people had similar experiences this morning.

Lots of rushing for queues, dodgy overtakes, red light skipping, tailgating and general impatience.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

site_owner wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot of people had similar experiences this morning.

Lots of rushing for queues, dodgy overtakes, red light skipping, tailgating and general impatience.

I saw a Paddy Wagon Bus go through two red lights and then park illegally on Gardiner Street in a bike lane.

The roads have been pure sh1te since the kids went back to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

A whopping four cars broke the green pedestrian light on Drumcondra road this morning. Couldn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Arragh 4 is standard at this point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Arsehole at a zebra crossing cycled straight through as people were crossing, crossing had 12 people on it at the time and he barely made it through without hitting someone. I addressed him unpleasantly as I passed later to which he laughed and I choked down my rage and went on, didn't fancy adding aggravated assault to an already sh1tty commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

There's a youtube video of a parent with their school going kid counting cars and other vehicles breaking reds at Drumcondra. From the video I've seen lots more have managed to squeeze through. The sooner red light camera are rolled out the better, it's pretty much the norm for reds to be broken at this stage.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/cameras-to-be-installed-at-three-blackspots-to-catch-red-light-runners-1.3852548

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

CramCycle wrote: »
    Arsehole at a zebra crossing cycled straight through as people were crossing, crossing had 12 people on it at the time and he barely made it through without hitting someone. I addressed him unpleasantly as I passed later to which he laughed and I choked down my rage and went on, didn't fancy adding aggravated assault to an already sh1tty commute.

Be a waste of your energy, he will just do it again anyhow

Be a waste of your energy, he will just do it again anyhow

I know, I always get images from Falling Down, When did I become the bad guy, I just can't help but agree with the guy most of the way through the film. Thankfully i remember that despite being in full agreement with him, he ends up dead at the end of the movie.

I know, I always get images from Falling Down, When did I become the bad guy, I just can't help but agree with the guy most of the way through the film. Thankfully i remember that despite being in full agreement with him, he ends up dead at the end of the movie.
    Well that's my TV plan for tonight just ruined :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Great movie!

"I'm the bad guy? How did that happen?"

Well that's my TV plan for tonight just ruined :(

Release date: February 26, 1993

Although to be fair, your post makes me more like the people he and I despise.

Release date: February 26, 1993

Although to be fair, your post makes me more like the people he and I despise.
    Aah I'm messing with you - seen it before and got the haircut!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Kwik Fit Tyres artic decided that I was in his way going up Kingston towards Treadneedle crossroads on Friday at 5.30. (Galway)
    After 18 secs behind me coming up the hill he decided I was cycling too slow (26kph) so he overtook me.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2662895,-9.0948377,3a,75y,73.03h,54.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sT7AiC5hVtPe5RF030aQYMg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

There is no way he could see traffic coming towards him on the bend, but it took him nearly 14 secs to get past me and back into lane, only to get stuck at the lights 100 metres later. The mind boggles. Where was he going to go if a car had come around that corner.

Aah I'm messing with you - seen it before and got the haircut!

I got that, I just feel like being that douche bag this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

First time commuting last week. First time nearly being wiped out today, a week later. V unpleasant. Cycling up past Drumcondra, asshole taxi driver pulls out into bike lane I was in. Very nearly took me out only I braked. Felt like slapping the car with the fright I got. ‘Did you not see my indicator?’ No you dick cos you didn’t put it on and it doesn’t give you right of way either. Said something else to me I’ve now forgotten but basically I was in the wrong according to this dangerous lunatic.

KathleenF wrote: »
    First time commuting last week. First time nearly being wiped out today, a week later. V unpleasant. Cycling up past Drumcondra, asshole taxi driver pulls out into bike lane I was in. Very nearly took me out only I braked. Felt like slapping the car with the fright I got. ‘Did you not see my indicator?’ No you dick cos you didn’t put it on and it doesn’t give you right of way either. Said something else to me I’ve now forgotten but basically I was in the wrong according to this dangerous lunatic.
    Don't let the muppet deter you Kathleen. Sounds like you were in the right.
    Taxi drivers are some of the worst offenders in my opinion. Nonetheless you need to keep your wits about you in Dublin.
    Next time get their reg and report them to the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Hello! If you were the cyclist on the receiving end of the absolute unfettered meltdown/road rage of the lad in a huge black van on South Great George's Street this morning around 8.30am, hit me up as I noted his reg.

Apparently 'not staying in your lane' as we all slowly moved to the set of red lights ahead means you get to be subjected to screaming and continuous horn beeping and just after the lights at the turn up to Exchequer Street he accelerated behind you right up to your back wheel and I honestly thought he was going to hit you. I guess I should report to Traffic Watch but its going to be a his word against mine at the end of the day. If anyone else witnessed it and plans to report then I guess a number of reports might be worthwhile.

Given his size and how red he was going while blowing his load(!) I'd say there is a heart attack/stroke in this guy's not too distant future. I've honestly never seen anything like the rage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Sounds like van driving is not for him. Should take up a relaxing hobby - perhaps cycling?

I was cycling down the north quays this morning and marveling at the number of cyclists - must have been in a group of 30 - 40 or so.

Anyway, had my own near miss this morning - some dopey L driver nearly pinned me against a bus while she was trying to skip the traffic and drive up the bus / bike lane on the approach to Capel Street bridge. My god I haven't thumped a car so hard in ages. Her passenger (surely a qualified driver?) seemed more upset. Anyway looking at the rear camera footage, looks like she continued up the bus lane unperturbed. Ah well, starting as she's going to continue with ****ty driving I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Sounds like van driving is not for him. Should take up a relaxing hobby - perhaps cycling?

I was cycling down the north quays this morning and marveling at the number of cyclists - must have been in a group of 30 - 40 or so.

Anyway, had my own near miss this morning - some dopey L driver nearly pinned me against a bus while she was trying to skip the traffic and drive up the bus / bike lane on the approach to Capel Street bridge. My god I haven't thumped a car so hard in ages. Her passenger (surely a qualified driver?) seemed more upset. Anyway looking at the rear camera footage, looks like she continued up the bus lane unperturbed. Ah well, starting as she's going to continue with ****ty driving I suppose.

Start as you mean to finish.

I note in the papers that the price of petrol and diesel is going to rocket during the winter. I wonder will it put off people from driving and put them on the bike?

I sincerely doubt it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement