Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Start as you mean to finish.

I note in the papers that the price of petrol and diesel is going to rocket during the winter? I wonder will it put off people from driving and put them on the bike?

I sincerely doubt it.
    Fuel had been around €1.70-€1.80 a few years back and traffic volumes were still heavy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I note in the papers that the price of petrol and diesel is going to rocket during the winter. I wonder will it put off people from driving and put them on the bike?

I sincerely doubt it.

It would take a lot more than that. I think the only way to get it actually done is to enforce BIK on (work) car parking spots in city centres & use the money raised to pay companies to provide publicly accessible bike racks. Have the council manage them & pay a per square foot lease to the property owners.

Imagine how handy it would be to cycle in town if there was something like Drury street car park on each street.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

It would take a lot more than that. I think the only way to get it actually done is to enforce BIK on (work) car parking spots in city centres & use the money raised to pay companies to provide publicly accessible bike racks. Have the council manage them & pay a per square foot lease to the property owners.

Imagine how handy it would be to cycle in town if there was something like Drury street car park on each street.

Or if there was bloody relatively ok infrastructure that doesn't put us into the direct path of HGV's and angry 'professional' drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Have people just given up looking behind/beside them altogether now when they're crossing side roads? Pretty much every morning I have somebody step out in front of me when I'm turning into a side street. Half of them are on their phone, the other half just staring into space. Also a special shout out to those who look straight at me and step out anyway because I'm not driving a car...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Fuel had been around €1.70-€1.80 a few years back and traffic volumes were still heavy!

If fuel was €5 per liter traffic volumes would still be crazy. The majority of people cannot look beyond the private car as a means of transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Have people just given up looking behind/beside them altogether now when they're crossing side roads? Pretty much every morning I have somebody step out in front of me when I'm turning into a side street. Half of them are on their phone, the other half just staring into space. Also a special shout out to those who look straight at me and step out anyway because I'm not driving a car...

You have right of way as a pedestrian if you're crossing a side road and someone is turning into the side road.

Stark wrote: »
    You have right of way as a pedestrian if you're crossing a side road and someone is turning into the side road.

Does that also count as a cyclist i wonder? specifically for places where the bike track is part of the footpath. I always thought the cyclist had to give way to cars turning in or pulling up to a stop to exit onto the main road.

Case in point being here on the left:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3020114,-6.3094091,3a,75y,215.45h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s08DNXsimRsLtCodEJ2uP8g!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D08DNXsimRsLtCodEJ2uP8g%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D180.21318%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I note in the papers that the price of petrol and diesel is going to rocket during the winter. I wonder will it put off people from driving and put them on the bike?

I sincerely doubt it.

Its just a slow day and paper all jumping on the issue that happened over the weekend.

Petrol has jump how much over the last ten years and more drive now than ever!!

Or did you signal that you were turning?

Does that also count as a cyclist i wonder? specifically for places where the bike track is part of the footpath. I always thought the cyclist had to give way to cars turning in or pulling up to a stop to exit onto the main road.

Case in point being here on the left:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3020114,-6.3094091,3a,75y,215.45h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s08DNXsimRsLtCodEJ2uP8g!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D08DNXsimRsLtCodEJ2uP8g%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D180.21318%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Don't think so. Its a silly rule letting people walk out on the side street if they want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

Technically, it looks like cyclists are drivers of vehicles and also pedestrians. So they have to yield and be yielded to if already crossing - so sounds like it's a race to the junction!
    4. (5) A reference to a vehicle in these Regulations shall, unless otherwise specified, mean a mechanically propelled vehicle (other than a mechanically propelled wheelchair) and a pedal cycle.

(6) For the purpose of these Regulations, a pedestrian shall include a person in charge of a vehicle which is not mechanically propelled.
    8. (3) A driver of a vehicle approaching a road junction shall yield the right of way to another vehicle which has commenced to turn or cross at the junction in accordance with these Regulations and to a pedestrian who has commenced to cross at the junction in accordance with these Regulations.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print

There's also 1964 legislation, but I think this supersedes that.

buffalo wrote: »
    Technically, it looks like cyclists are drivers of vehicles and also pedestrians. So they have to yield and be yielded to if already crossing - so sounds like it's a race to the junction!

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print

There's also 1964 legislation, but I think this supersedes that.

I usually err on the side of caution and yield anyways. Cars yielding to me often end up nearly getting rear ended because the driver behind them may not be paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Imagine if we just actually enforced existing laws, so we'd have a reasonable chance of cycling through Ranelagh or Rathmines or George's St without getting blocked by a truck, a van or a 'just a few minutes' car. Imagine the revolutionary difference that would make to the cyclist experience.

Stark wrote: »

Yeah I understand that but if I'm turning into a narrow side street, across an oncoming lane of traffic having signalled to turn right, if someone steps out onto the road without looking first it makes it very difficult to avoid them as I can't break in the middle of the main road. It usually happens when I'm turning right off the Harold's Cross Road into one of the side streets where the cottages are. Maybe I'm in the wrong but I'm not sure how else the situation could be avoided other than them looking before crossing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yeah I understand that but if I'm turning into a narrow side street, across an oncoming lane of traffic having signalled to turn right, if someone steps out onto the road without looking first it makes it very difficult to avoid them as I can't break in the middle of the main road. It usually happens when I'm turning right off the Harold's Cross Road into one of the side streets where the cottages are. Maybe I'm in the wrong but I'm not sure how else the situation could be avoided other than them looking before crossing

Sorry to be a pedant but this is the answer, someone steps out in front of you, rightly or wrongly, you should brake, whether you want to see that as a moral or legal judgement is upto you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So you know it's likely that someone will step out but fear braking on the main road?
    How exactly does that work out for you?

So you know it's likely that someone will step out but fear braking on the main road?
    How exactly does that work out for you?

I'm talking about somebody stepping out without looking when I've already started to take the turn and could be halfway across the oncoming lane at this point. The volume of people/traffic/cyclists there means that there's very rarely a break in either oncoming traffic or pedestrians, as is the case with much of Dublin. The only pragmatic solution is for the pedestrian to look before they step out into traffic. I accept that legally I'm probably in the wrong but I don't see any other way to make the turn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Isn't that kind of the same as when drivers brush you off for not seeing you, or saying well you suddenly moved. I'm nearly always expecting a pedestrian to cross in those situations and would be cycling fairly slowly as a result

Weepsie wrote: »
    Isn't that kind of the same as when drivers brush you off for not seeing you, or saying well you suddenly moved. I'm nearly always expecting a pedestrian to cross in those situations and would be cycling fairly slowly as a result

Yeah maybe I should just take the turn slower in future but it's not the kind of place you'd want to be going too slowly with approaching traffic in the oncoming lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'm talking about somebody stepping out without looking when I've already started to take the turn and could be halfway across the oncoming lane at this point. The volume of people/traffic/cyclists there means that there's very rarely a break in either oncoming traffic or pedestrians, as is the case with much of Dublin. The only pragmatic solution is for the pedestrian to look before they step out into traffic. I accept that legally I'm probably in the wrong but I don't see any other way to make the turn

You take the turn, stopping if necessary (for pedestrians). At that point, traffic on the main road does not have a clear route in front of them (you're in the way) so they should slow down or stop until their way is clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Had 2 pieces of careless lazy driving.

One yesterday and the other today.

https://youtu.be/P8J71PO1zc0

In fairness the guy in the second was apologetic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't recall ever really having this issue - less of an issue for cyclists, given the vehicle is narrow and it's not excessively difficult to avoid hitting a pedestrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

micar wrote: »
    Had 2 pieces of careless lazy driving.

One yesterday and the other today.

https://youtu.be/P8J71PO1zc0

In fairness the guy in the second was apologetic.
    Both of those spots on my route home, and both cause trouble at least once a week, definitely need to be well aware of what's ahead and around you when on the bike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i live near the first spot, and don't really have that much trouble there. there's less hassle now at the next junction further on since they changed the lights to be more explicit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Whats the position with motorists swinging over into cycling lane?
    I nearly got creamed near Belfield, driver turning out from a box junction, out of a housing estate.
    I let a roar, and he pulled alongside giving me verbal abuse.

Whats the position with motorists swinging over into cycling lane?
    I nearly got creamed near Belfield, driver turning out from a box junction, out of a housing estate.
    I let a roar, and he pulled alongside giving me verbal abuse.

That’s the norm for a lot of motorists - no sense of personal responsibility and even when they’re in the wrong, they can’t just admit it like a mature adult and move on. Personally, I always assume a motorist is going to put me in danger, so try and cycle defensively as best I can. I have learned to ignore the beeps from irate motorists and instead in my head pretend they’re complementing my legendary cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Was driving out from Celbridge about 5.45 this evening. A car coming towards me overtook a cyclist really closely. His passenger actually put her hands over her eyes with fear. He had plenty of more room between us that he could have used, but really should have held back.

Nearly got t-boned by a motorist breaking a late red, turning right onto Custom House quay coming from Tara Street. In fairness, there was no way she was going to see me - her head was craned checking for oncoming traffic through the green light from Aston Quay, who obliged her. A pesky bike in her way didn't seem to matter though.

Cycling along past Wainsfort Road out of town yesterday evening. There was a lad in a van parked half in the cycle lane, half on the footpath facing me.

I was cycling past and the back door of the van swung out and nearly smashed me. The guy opening it caught it. That was too close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Two baked eejits WALKING along the very narrow bike lane just after Leeson Street Bridge this evening. Second time encountering this...hate that junction in general.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement