Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

What exactly do you mean be a 'nitemare'? I've ridden than road countless times and can't ever recall any incidents on it. It's very popular with cyclists and I'd say most motorists expect them. (It's also one of the few roads in Co Dublin with very little truck activity).

Have a look at that GreenParty video link I mentioned earlier, if you think(the coast road) it's great then you and I and i'm sure most standards of what a safe road is differs vastly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Have a look at that GreenParty video link I mentioned earlier, if you think(the coast road) it's great then you and I and i'm sure most standards of what a safe road is differs vastly.
    I have watched the Green Party video but I wouldn't be a fan of their cycling policies as such.

I never said the coast road was 'great', just that I can't ever recall having any incidents on it (compared to the R128 for example).

I also noticed that you've deflected the question so I'm still in the dark regarding your 'nitemare' experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

@Wishbone Ash
    In their opinion it's a 'nitemare' (sic) and cites that Green Party video as the basis for that belief??

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    @Wishbone Ash
    In their opinion it's a 'nitemare' (sic) and cites that Green Party video as the basis for that belief??

As an example you ass

I have watched the Green Party video but I wouldn't be a fan of their cycling policies as such.
    I never said the coast road was 'great', just that I can't ever recall having any incidents on it (compared to the R128 for example).
    I also noticed that you've deflected the question so I'm still in the dark regarding your 'nitemare' experiences.

Whether you're a fan of their policies or not is irrelevant to the video I referenced!

I said the road was a nitemare from a cyclist point of view, read my posts!

No verge, narrow, usually higher speeds from cars, poor line of sight for faster moving cars on the roads..

Sorry I didn't satisfy some people with my reference to the GreenParty video, here's another to keep them happy:

Though I can't find one where a guy was recording on his dashcam and driving quite fast, almost takes a cyclist out of it who was attempting a right turn onto Moyne road, v dangerous turn for a bicyclist...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

No verge, narrow, usually higher speeds from cars, poor line of sight for faster moving cars on the roads..

Thats hardly unique to this road? There are lots of roads with similar if not worse layouts. I cycle the Baldoyle to Malahide section quite a lot and I dont find it too bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that said, there does seem to be space to widen the road by a metre or two along a decent length of it, which would do no harm.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

On the case itself, hopefully the result is that the taxi driver will have learned from it and be more careful in future and so don't feel it was a wasted effort.
    Speaking as a motorist no doubt!

Agree with the other posters that this road is not as bad as you make out

Think you are being outnumbered on this one!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Thats hardly unique to this road? There are lots of roads with similar if not worse layouts. I cycle the Baldoyle to Malahide section quite a lot and I dont find it too bad.

Never said it was! Reason I referenced it is because poster: Alanstrainor showed a video of their experiences on that particular road... Do people not read the last number of posts here??

And that's Your opinion of course! Doesn't mean it's the majority or according to any standards of road cyclist safety!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The problem there isn't the road, the problem there is the drivers you seem to be meeting

• Advertisement

Agree with the other posters that this road is not as bad as you make out
    Think you are being outnumbered on this one!

Lucky this is a place to express an opinion and not a popularity contest so!

Interesting to see that some people think this road is "Grand" for cyclists, shows how bad things are in general I guess!

w7iote.jpg

Lucky this is a place to express an opinion and not a popularity contest so!

Interesting to see that some people think this road is "Grand" for cyclists, shows how bad things are in general I guess!

w7iote.jpg

The road is fine...it's the Bike lane thats sh**e!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

actually, why don't they paint the road numbers on the road in the way they appear on the screenshot?

The road is fine...it's the Bike lane thats sh**e!

Bike lane needs to extend from Baldoyle to Malahide/Swords. And also from there to Clongriffin.. I can't believe the number of new apartment buildings going up in that area.. how will these people get around, private car?

I would wonder if those who think "ah sure it's grand" would be happy to let their kid(s) or wife/partner cycle to school etc along that road each day, esp. on dark evenings?

I would wonder if those who think "ah sure it's grand" would be happy to let their kid(s) or wife/partner cycle to school etc along that road each day, esp. on dark evenings?

That is a good point...but all we're saying is this road is just as good/bad as any other road. I cycle along it in daylight and at night and I don't find driver behaviour on it any better/worse than any other road.

That is a good point...but all we're saying is this road is just as good/bad as any other road. I cycle along it in daylight and at night and I don't find driver behaviour on it any better/worse than any other road.

That's my point, that the posters who've said the road is "grand" may be Male, good standard of fitness, lycra/helmets/road-racer bikes..

But that represents only a specific group of cyclists, leaves out school/kids, casual non-lycra'd cyclists etc...

That's my point, that the posters who've said the road is "grand" may be Male, good standard of fitness, lycra/helmets/road-racer bikes..

But that represents only a specific group of cyclists, leaves out school/kids, casual non-lycra'd cyclists etc...

I still maintain that its not the road that's the problem..its the "attitude" of Motorists that makes the road dangerous for inexperienced cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

Cycling on Adelaide road this morning towards Harcourt and stop for a red light at the pedestrian crossing where a blind elderly lady is starting to cross.
    Young girl on a Dublin bike approaching from the other side, eyes glued to her phone (not mentioning the over-sized headphone) and going straight for the blind lady on the crossing.
    All I could do was shout..... somehow this (XXXX censured) looked up from her phone her and barely managed to avoid the lady.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3324456,-6.2560681,3a,75y,292.29h,84.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9IRrk5r0c4IdKDkvFXqIAg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

No words for the stupidity....... phones and walking/Cycling/Driving are not a good combination :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Outside the Shelbourne one evening I was sure I was about to watch a guide dog be killed. An asshole in front of me drove through the red light, amber gambling was well shut up shop by this stage. The dog lept and swung its head back to avoid being hit right in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I still maintain that its not the road that's the problem..its the "attitude" of Motorists that makes the road dangerous for inexperienced cyclists.

I'm not sure you're right. I think it is the ability/awareness of the motorists a lot of the time that causes these issues. There are just a huge amount of sh1te drivers out there.

Put it this way, I have have two "near misses" while driving my car in the last 2 weeks.

One was on Bird Avenue, car coming towards me comes onto my side of the road to avoid obstruction on their side rather than break, I had to stop to avoid head on collision.

Same sort of thing Terenure Road North, bus coming towards me pulls in to take on passengers, I am indicating right to turn just after the bus so am in rightmost position on my side of the road, taxi coming against sees bus in his way, presumably decides I will "move out of his way" and overtakes, I have to pull over to the left having quickly checked there's nobody undertaking me (there is plenty of space to do so). He remonstrates with me as if I have nearly caused the head on collision on my side of the road.

I think a lot of the time the theme/tone of posts here is that there is a willful endangering of cyclists by drivers, with cyclists feeling persecuted/endangered intentionally, i.e. the "attitude" of drivers, as you say. I accept that is the case some of the time, and acknowledge there is evidence to support this, but I am fairly sure a lot of the time it is just really bad driving as is witnessed & suffered by other road users all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Not a near miss on the bike, but had one yesterday afternoon when driving.

Was going around the M50 roundabout up from the Beacon at Sandyford, when I met a car coming around the wrong way at full speed :eek::eek::eek:. I laid on the horn and stopped and he just drove around me and kept going on his merry way looking at me like I'd two heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'm not sure you're right. I think it is the ability/awareness of the motorists a lot of the time that causes these issues. There are just a huge amount of sh1te drivers out there.

I think a lot of the time the theme/tone of posts here is that there is a willful endangering of cyclists by drivers, with cyclists feeling persecuted/endangered intentionally, i.e. the "attitude" of drivers, as you say. I accept that is the case some of the time, and acknowledge there is evidence to support this, but I am fairly sure a lot of the time it is just really bad driving as is witnessed & suffered by other road users all the time.

The 'attitude' is not a matter of willful endangerment. It's more an attitude of not being arsed to learn how their (****e) driving affects other road users.

That, along with the radio jocks' anti-cyclist agenda gives rise to dangerous behaviour ("they deserve it") without a real understanding of exactly how dangerous it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Put it this way, I have have two "near misses" while driving my car in the last 2 weeks.

One was on Bird Avenue, car coming towards me comes onto my side of the road to avoid obstruction on their side rather than break, I had to stop to avoid head on collision.

Same sort of thing Terenure Road North, bus coming towards me pulls in to take on passengers, I am indicating right to turn just after the bus so am in rightmost position on my side of the road, taxi coming against sees bus in his way, presumably decides I will "move out of his way" and overtakes, I have to pull over to the left having quickly checked there's nobody undertaking me (there is plenty of space to do so). He remonstrates with me as if I have nearly caused the head on collision on my side of the road.

While I agree that most is bad driving, not all is. I don't think that this thread aims to teach all bad drivers how to drive.

However, all drivers that do a dangerous close pass can be educated and that's why it's important to report them. It may save a life in the future.

You make some good points...

Though in Ireland we just have a system of roads designed for the motor vehicle, not the bicyclist and also pedestrian..

In places like The Netherlands they have designed their roads so as to remove all points of conflict between motor vehicle and bicyclist, and it also helps that each and every Dutch person whether is or has been a cyclist so has a consideration for the bicyclist and a greater awareness that the average Irish motorist may not..

Fair enough, Maybe attitude was the wrong word to use. There are a lot of factors at play. A narrow road, combined with wide cars, inexperienced drivers, inexperienced cyclists etc. While widening the road might help, it wont make drivers/cyclists more experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

V-man wrote: »
    Cycling on Adelaide road this morning towards Harcourt and stop for a red light at the pedestrian crossing where a blind elderly lady is starting to cross.
    Young girl on a Dublin bike approaching from the other side, eyes glued to her phone (not mentioning the over-sized headphone) and going straight for the blind lady on the crossing.
    All I could do was shout..... somehow this (XXXX censured) looked up from her phone her and barely managed to avoid the lady.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3324456,-6.2560681,3a,75y,292.29h,84.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9IRrk5r0c4IdKDkvFXqIAg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

No words for the stupidity....... phones and walking/Cycling/Driving are not a good combination :mad:

an actual near miss being posted about in this thread :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It's really bad and discourteous driving mainly. It's just more dangerous and frightening when you are cycling. And in my opinion and experience, the bad ones are getting worse because it's not being detected / policed and some of the good ones are jumping ship as they are seeing the lack of respect going undetected. The net result is approaching danger levels and more accidents and deaths are likely until the authorities step up and give the Garda the tools, resources and laws they need to fight back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Was going around the M50 roundabout up from the Beacon at Sandyford, when I met a car coming around the wrong way at full speed :eek::eek::eek:. I laid on the horn and stopped and he just drove around me and kept going on his merry way looking at me like I'd two heads.

WTF? That's mad.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Did you not see the news? On the back of Brexit the EU are changing traffic laws in countries that will remain but drive on the left moving towards a standard "drive on the right" law. They are introducing the change gradually, with that roundabout being the first place in Ireland to move over...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Happens all the time around where I live. At this roundabout, when the level crossing is closed, you'll have a few tools try it on:

https://goo.gl/maps/bw86CxeovMA2

Was coming back from a spin a few weekends ago, guy coming against me decided to drive inside the mini roundabout coming from Clonee. On the wrong side of the road, driving way too fast, with a cyclist coming against him. Some tools out there.

https://goo.gl/maps/AheAjqdzPZv

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement