Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I saw a lad on a bike hit a pedestrian who stepped off the footpath just after the KCR yesterday around half five. She stepped out as traffic was stopped and didn't see the cyclist coming.

She said she was alright, but was holding her hip. The gobsh1te could at least have stopped to see how she was was. Fcuking tosspot was overtaking people a bit erratically too.

He was togged out like a regular commuter who should have known better.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

New home, new bike, new route. Same idiots. L driver too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I hear you. I cycled the Strawberry beds for a while from Carpenterstown to City West a few years back. Some right wingnuts on that road. Needs speed ramps every 200 meters right to Lucan.

You may have your own "you made me break my car " conversation.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88490012

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cyclists down in Lucan last night, collison witha a cement truck.

I have a good idea how it happened but probably shouldn't say.

But the cement trucks are flying around lucan and on the link road in careless manner. This was waiting to happen

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But the cement trucks are flying around lucan and on the link road in careless manner. This was waiting to happen
    I've been beeped several times by cement and dump trucks along the Newcastle rd simply for being there.
    Hopefully the cyclist is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think i saw a tweet yesterday about an RTC involving a cyclist on leeson street too, DFB were present but were waiting for an ambulance before moving the cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

Could you PM me with what you think happened? I cycle that route daily and want to make sure I'm aware of and avoid the same if I'm not doing it already!

I've been beeped several times by cement and dump trucks along the Newcastle rd simply for being there.

From what I heard, no life threatening injuries which is great

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

From what I heard, no life threatening injuries which is great

Just saw this: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/cyclist-rushed-to-hospital-following-collision-with-truck-in-dublin-38512302.html

Thankfully...
    “The driver of the truck was uninjured,” the spokesperson said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭gmacww

Have to report about both involved in the accident. I mean driver could of had a heart attack.

Its correct practise even if you don't agree with it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, standard practice to report on the parties involved in the accident, even if completely unhurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

https://streamable.com/yrzh5

She hit the kerb on the left trying to make the gap.I was petty so I filtered past and just waited in traffic ahead of her....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Kander wrote: »
    https://streamable.com/yrzh5

She hit the kerb on the left trying to make the gap.I was petty so I filtered past and just waited in traffic ahead of her....:rolleyes:

Unbelivable. Achieved nothing, absolutely nothing. Utterly, utterly pointless manoeuvre

i'd go to the gardai with that. that was utterly reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭buffalo

Not seen since before summer, there was a long tailback at the roundabout leaving Leixlip to travel towards the N4 J5. Still, it felt absolutely great passing them all until I reached the roundabout where for some reason cars frequently choose to move out of the lane onto the hatched markings making it more difficult for cyclists to enter the roundabout.

heh, had someone do this on my way in this morning - when I got to the roundabout he was sitting out of the traffic lane in the crosshatching. So I assumed that he had pulled in off the road, and from his driver-side window I proceeded straight through the roundabout.

Driver gave me a long stare as he passed on the far side, oblivious to anything he had done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kfagan10

Silver people carrier nearly made mince meat of me on the approach to the Woodies slip on the N4 inbound. Absolutely booting it up the bus lane, passed me by centimetres.

Nearly sure it's the same vehicle that had some little scanger kid shouting out the passenger window about cycle lanes the other morning at the same spot. ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

I was run off the road by a cement truck in Newcastle 3 years ago. I emailed the company. I got a response, full of apology, etc. I wonder was it the same company (hint: they will knock over and 'kill Sharon').

On that same road this am and a guy tried to pass me through a junction into an on coming lorry, lorry blew him out of it, I didn't hear him coming behind me so got the fright when the lorry blew him and then he jammed on an swerved in behind me inches from my back wheel!! All this to join the queue at the next lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭buffalo

buffalo wrote: »
    heh, had someone do this on my way in this morning - when I got to the roundabout he was sitting out of the traffic lane in the crosshatching. So I assumed that he had pulled in off the road, and from his driver-side window I proceeded straight through the roundabout.

Driver gave me a long stare as he passed on the far side, oblivious to anything he had done.

Completely missed the lane:

491111.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I was heading southbound on the Sean Moore road at 6.45am, this morning, in the car. As I was going around the roundabout after the eastlink there was a cyclist entering it on the wrong side of the road, and proceeded around the roundabout in the wrong direction.
    Luckily he had a fairly dim front light and two red lights on the rear. Bit of a mad way to commute, but maybe he's a foreigner, it was early for him and he got confused about which side of the road he should be cycling on!

buffalo wrote: »

You will see cars do this at super valu in lucan, its a one lane roundabout but they driver up the inside to go left

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

You will see cars do this at super valu in lucan, its a one lane roundabout but they driver up the inside to go left

Same in Ashtown at the Watermint apartments, and any other sufficiently small roundabout. Lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Coming up that awful bendy hill on lower bridge st towards Christchurch Dublin, Taxi number 19875 passes a little too close for comfort.
    He stops in traffic at the lights on high st, I pull along side and tell him he passed a little close, he says f off , I say fine, he starts giving me the middle finger and gesticulating in a most peculiar manner, I take a picture of this and toddle on.
    I'm turning right onto clanbrassil st upper and signal to do so from the middle lane, the numpty in the taxi pulls up along side me and tries to push off the bike with his 131 Prius.. I slap his wing mirror and push it in towards the car, its hinged, nothing broken ( the handle bars were inches from them anyway).
    He pulls in infront of me and hops out of the car, the car behind, a white range rover pulls over as well and starts telling taxi man what he just did was really dangerous. I cycle on and turn down werburgh st, white range rover follows comes alongside and asks if I'm ok. They saw the whole thing... well, as did the fare in the taxi mans car...

You should take that to the guards at the very least they'll have a word with him and a record of his behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

tnegun wrote: »
    You should take that to the guards at the very least they'll have a word with him and a record of his behaviour

Nothing is/can be recorded unless the member assigneds supervisor thinks its chargeable. Often the RPU take a "no contact no foul" approach to cyclist reports. They can offer adult cautions but have to be able to charge them if they reject that offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

tnegun wrote: »

If I had the details of the range rover driver maybe. Or if I had a camera on my bike, but I was on a dublin bike..

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

ED E wrote: »
    Nothing is/can be recorded unless the member assigneds supervisor thinks its chargeable. Often the RPU take a "no contact no foul" approach to cyclist reports. They can offer adult cautions but have to be able to charge them if they reject that offer.

It absolutely can be recorded if reported to the Gardaí. A member does not require a supervisors permission to create a pulse entry. Personally I would report it if I had some details of the offending car. If I didn’t have a reg I wouldn’t.

Also to the best of my knowledge there are no road traffic offences included in the Adult cautioning scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ofthelord

I was going down the hill passed the Beehive pub this afternoon when a car sped passed me with only a couple of inches to spare. I must have been going 40km+ at the time and it scared the crap out of me. How hard is it to overtake safely? This car didn't break their line of travel, there was no pulling back in following overtake. Put me in a foul mood for a few minutes but happily no other drama after that and the rain held off until I got home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement