Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Jesus Christ, it's bad enough that they were caught with a collision, but then for the fookin' fire brigade to cut the roof off your bloody car...
    she was drifting in and out of consciousness, rather than the complaints of back pain i had remembered.

anyway in this case, the car was worth about 3 grand. even just a broken finger is not worth 3 grand (well, not to me anyway); if there was the slightest hint that if they tried to lift her sideways out of the car, they could have a higher chance of exacerbating a spinal injury, taking the roof off and lifting her out that way is a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

she was drifting in and out of consciousness, rather than the complaints of back pain i had remembered.

anyway in this case, the car was worth about 3 grand. even just a broken finger is not worth 3 grand (well, not to me anyway); if there was the slightest hint that if they tried to lift her sideways out of the car, they could have a higher chance of exacerbating a spinal injury, taking the roof off and lifting her out that way is a no-brainer.

I agree with your main point. However I'd happily take a broken finger for 3k!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm surprised that the issue was that the other driver was uninsured; surely the MIBI steps in, in incidents involving uninsured drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

i'm surprised that the issue was that the other driver was uninsured; surely the MIBI steps in, in incidents involving uninsured drivers?

Moreso that the other driver was uninjured rather than uninsured I thought.

My car is worth more than that, I can't live without it, and some randommer getting a bit cold and wet absolutely isn't worth the price of my car to me.

I'm afraid that this story has reminded me that I can't afford to help out others given the ridiculous situations that can arise.

As a general point, people's risk aversion seems to skyrocket when it's someone else paying the bill.

You don't tend to see many motorbike based
    paramedics (or doctors) in Ireland compared to other European countries. Would be a very cost effective way of best utilising ambulances and hospitals.

I've been lucky enough to only ever see minor falls and crashes by cyclists whilst on the road, including myself. A once-over by a doctor, a bandage and some sympathy would have had all of them back in the saddle again.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

If an uninsured driver struck a cyclist, does the cyclist claim from MIBI?

• Advertisement

Moreso that the other driver was uninjured rather than uninsured I thought.

My car is worth more than that, I can't live without it, and some randommer getting a bit cold and wet absolutely isn't worth the price of my car to me.
    in the article, it mentions it was due to him being uninsured, which is what i was referring to.

anyway, according to the chap in question, she was obviously injured and began lapsing in and out of consciousness. in a choice between keeping someone warm and dry - as they may have gone into shock - and protecting your car, i think i know what my choice would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

As far as I know, yes.

Not sure, both part were quoted. Equally though, my sister arrived to A&E in an ambulance after hitting/cutting her head. Her friends thought it was much worse than it was and called an ambulance.

She sat in A&E for hours before she had to leave without being seen due to the number of junkies and drunks fighting in the waiting room (guess the Dublin hospital). Got a bill anyway...

In general though, it's true that the ambulance case will be seen quicker - but serious cases will always come first regardless of how you got there.

Compo culture was mentioned earlier - I'm absolutely certain that a subset of injured people would much rather claim they had to go in an ambulance rather than make it to hospital themselves.

That Dublin Fire Brigade show a few years ago featured a collision in a housing estate where the roof was cut off the car. There's being cautious, and then there's being ridiculous.

I can only narrow it down to one of five?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

I work for a company which has a car insurance arm. Heard this today.

A cyclist took a picture of a motorist on their mobile and then a copy of their insurance disk.

The cyclist contacted the company to log a complaint with a copy of the pictures. The cyclist also mentioned that the tax was out of date.

Unfortunately it was not mentioned if the company contacted the motorist about the use of their mobile.

It was dealt with as a full complaint eventhough the cyclist had no policy with us

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That's what I like to hear, a pro active company

• Advertisement

micar wrote: »
    It was dealt with as a full complaint eventhough the cyclist had no policy with us
    just out of curiosity, by 'full complaint', you're not actually talking about a claim?
    and also, if you're not also a customer of the company, would it not usually be treated as a full complaint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

just out of curiosity, by 'full complaint', you're not actually talking about a claim?
    and also, if you're not also a customer of the company, would it not usually be treated as a full complaint?

Any expression of dissatisfaction should be treated as a complaint whether from a customer or not. The logging of the complaint is irrelevant really as we don’t know what action was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

in the article, it mentions it was due to him being uninsured, which is what i was referring to.

anyway, according to the chap in question, she was obviously injured and began lapsing in and out of consciousness. in a choice between keeping someone warm and dry - as they may have gone into shock - and protecting your car, i think i know what my choice would be.

Ah apologies, I misread the article.

It's nice to be in a position where you can afford to lose your car to help someone out, I'm certainly not.

No....a complaint.

At work we deal with "full" and "one and done" complaints.

Ah apologies, I misread the article.

It's nice to be in a position where you can afford to lose your car to help someone out, I'm certainly not.
    we're talking about a single instance of this, from within the entire country, an example i cannot remember hearing about before this. it'd be an astonishing pity if people decided not to render the assistance to accident victims they might otherwise have done, as a result of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A cyclist took a picture of a motorist on their mobile and then a copy of their insurance disk.

The cyclist contacted the company to log a complaint with a copy of the pictures. The cyclist also mentioned that the tax was out of date.

Unfortunately it was not mentioned if the company contacted the motorist about the use of their mobile.

Good to know - any idea what the outcome was?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What were the possible outcomes?
    I presume that withdrawal of cover would be the most extreme of their options.

ganmo wrote: »
    What were the possible outcomes?
    I presume that withdrawal of cover would be the most extreme of their options.

I'll find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Chiparus wrote: »
    As far as I know, yes.
    Just curious but how can it be proven to the MIBI that an uninsured vehicle was involved? What's to stop a cyclist who has crashed 'independently' from claiming a hit and run driver caused it?

(At least in a collision between two motor vehicles, there may be evidence of the other vehicle at the scene).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

Idot this morning 2 attempts to pass me on solid white lines/bends and has to jam on at the last second when she eventually does get past she does so against a bus with no indicator and seemed much closer to the cyclist in front than it appears on the video!

https://streamable.com/8i2xc
    https://streamable.com/2b6d4

• Advertisement

Just curious but how can it be proven to the MIBI that an uninsured vehicle was involved? What's to stop a cyclist who has crashed 'independently' from claiming a hit and run driver caused it?

(At least in a collision between two motor vehicles, there may be evidence of the other vehicle at the scene).

I have been involved in a case where a vehicle was forced off the road , the other vehicle continued on, so the person sued MIBI even though there was no collision with the other vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Chiparus wrote: »
    ... so the person sued MIBI even though there was no collision with the other vehicle.
    ......and did they win?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Way to go. I wish AGS responded like that. In the main, they are not interested unless it's major crime and they can get their policing work on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Also worth noting the excess for MIBI claims is €500.

......and did they win?

I actually dont know , I was providing reports, but there are other cases reported in the media

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/man-hit-by-car-which-failed-to-remain-at-scene-settles-case-1.2237809

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Good point. I suppose video evidence (if available) could be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

MIBI will only cover an otherwise uninsured loss (and even then only if the uninsured vehicle is identified). This means that if you have comprehensive cover, MIBI will tell you to claim from that meaning it ends up being your claim and loss of discounts.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    MIBI will only cover an otherwise uninsured loss (and even then only if the uninsured vehicle is identified). This means that if you have comprehensive cover, MIBI will tell you to claim from that meaning it ends up being your claim and loss of discounts.

Thay dont have to be identified.
    https://www.mibi.ie/making-a-claim/uninsured-unidentified-vehicles.421.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

cdaly_ wrote: »
    If you have comprehensive cover, MIBI will tell you to claim from that meaning it ends up being your claim and loss of discounts.

Is that right? I know things might have changed, but I was involved in an accident with an uninsured driver in 2003 or thereabouts, and I was able to claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Crazy close pass by an ass in an Audi this morning just at the forecourts - zipped up the bus lane at crazy speed, skimming every cyclist he passed, then darted across to the central lane, taking the bus lane all the way to O'Connell bridge. It's bizarre that there's no camera in place to catch and fine these arsehools.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement