Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

On the R125 at Rolestown yesterday morning. I'm cycling towards a crossroads type junction (which is also a slight right hand bend). As I arrive at the junction (solid white line) a "N" driver proceeds to overtake me just as an oncoming car comes around the bend. Brakes, horns and flashing lights! Luckily no impact.

Just another day commuting by bike in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    If it goes up on PULSE, there is a record which could go against them at a later point (another incident) In my opinion all blatantly dangerous incidents should be reported as it helps the Garda build a profile of that drivers overall driving.
    I'm not sure if Traffic Watch incidents are tracked on Pulse. When I've dealt with individual Gardai, they seem to be dealing with a faxed printout from an MS Access database!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Had a close one this morning on Wainsfort Road. For those not familiar, there's a decent on-road cycle track but the road isn't terribly wide, so cars generally need to overtake over the centreline a little. Truck coming in opposite direction and a corsa behind me goes for it. I have no idea how he didn't hit me, maybe 2-3 inches from handlebar to wing mirror. I got some fright and let a roar. The corsa ends up stopping at lights about 50 ft up the road :rolleyes: When I reach the car, his window is down, I'm unsure if he's going to apologise or tell me to f**k off.

Turns out it's my cousin, who says "Sh*t sorry, I didn't know it was you" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Danbo! wrote: »
    Had a close one this morning on Wainsfort Road. For those not familiar, there's a decent on-road cycle track but the road isn't terribly wide, so cars generally need to overtake over the centreline a little. Truck coming in opposite direction and a corsa behind me goes for it. I have no idea how he didn't hit me, maybe 2-3 inches from handlebar to wing mirror. I got some fright and let a roar. The corsa ends up stopping at lights about 50 ft up the road :rolleyes: When I reach the car, his window is down, I'm unsure if he's going to apologise or tell me to f**k off.

I know the road well, the cycle lane isn't bad but your right about the width of the road, I generally stick to the edge of the line in the lane for 2 reasons - (i) to discourage close passes & (ii) to make it easier to overtake other cyclists, I find it helps to be in a decent position when your indicating to cars behind that you plan to move out otherwise they tend to cut you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    I know the road well, the cycle lane isn't bad but your right about the width of the road, I generally stick to the edge of the line in the lane for 2 reasons - (i) to discourage close passes & (ii) to make it easier to overtake other cyclists, I find it helps to be in a decent position when your indicating to cars behind that you plan to move out otherwise they tend to cut you off.

Bingo. The road isn't wide but it's a much better setup than before the roundabout (discussed plenty earlier in the thread). I was 3/4s of the way across the cycle lane, closer to road than kerb I mean. I'll generally keep this line for the same reason you mentioned, and it leaves me some room in case of a close pass, though you've little time to react once the offender is passing. To be honest I've never had much trouble on the road at all, cars are generally quite patient. On the way out of town as the road curves left I'll plant myself right on the edge of the cycle track as the overtakers cannot see incoming traffic for about 50ft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Danbo! wrote: »

That's like the time I was crossing the road on a green man, an artic breaks the lights, nearly kills me, garda the other side of the lights sees it, I ask him what he's going to do about it, and he tells me its ok he knows him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Chuchote wrote: »
    You can believe Google Maps - use Satellite View and Street View to check any city in Japan and you normally won't see parking on the streets. It really is a silly way to use road space, for storage.
    I remember reading somewhere that the authorities impound any private vehicles that they find on public streets at 03:00 or something.

Proper order.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I think I'll have to get a camera for my bike with the amount of **** that happens on my short commute.

Yesterday some absolute twat in an Audi undertook a string of traffic on Snugborough road in the bus lane at speed while I was in said bus lane. Missed me by millimetres.

I had caught up to him by the traffic lights by the time they turned green.

Instead we have teachers and publicans trying to keep their constituents happy, with no forward thinking or mater plan.
    Is the national transport policy being set by teachers and politicians now? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I'm not sure if Traffic Watch incidents are tracked on Pulse. When I've dealt with individual Gardai, they seem to be dealing with a faxed printout from an MS Access database!

Oddly un-joined-up. Perhaps it would crash Pulse. Same thing with potholes - you can't report them, oddly, using the See it! Say it! app, which can only be used for things like graffiti and illegal dumping; this seems silly, since it feeds into Fixmystreet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Figerty

I remember reading somewhere that the authorities impound any private vehicles that they find on public streets at 03:00 or something.

Proper order.

The streets in Japan are very narrow and confined. Cars are parked off street and usually are square boxes in the City. There are millions of cars there.It's common to see carousel type parking to get six cars into a garage or a turntable to get the cars into a space.
    Greatest waste of space is putting a watertight vehicle into a covered space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Figerty wrote: »

You are right, they should be put into water and call it a car pool...

Figerty wrote: »
    The streets in Japan are very narrow and confined. Cars are parked off street and usually are square boxes in the City. There are millions of cars there.It's common to see carousel type parking to get six cars into a garage or a turntable to get the cars into a space.
    Different issue. Whether or not a private enterprise decided to cover the parked cars is their decision. We're talking about the use of public space to store private property and, by extension, the owners of said private property objective to any change that might impact said storage of their property.

Different issue. Whether or not a private enterprise decided to cover the parked cars is their decision. We're talking about the use of public space to store private property and, by extension, the owners of said private property objective to any change that might impact said storage of their property.

I think Sean-nós was talking about the shades that private individuals have in their driveways to cover their cars in Japan. (Some, who have two or three cars, have a system where one car or two can be lowered into parking spaces in the driveway below the car parked there, or 'multi-storey' car parks in the driveway.)

architecture-kenji-yanagawa-case-study-house-.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This mornign coming along the N11 at the turn for Fosters Avenue. I take the lane from the junction before as the left turn, even when quiet there is another statistic waiting to happen. The cycle lane pulls you out of the rear view mirror sight line of turning vehicles and then swings you in with 5 metres to go.

As I overtook the turning traffic, I yet again seen a N and L plate (one car) turn straight across a guy (ha barely overtook) going onto the junction. He is obviously used to this and slammed on, didn't even seem to care, the car went on without even noticing.

Just to be clear, unlike many other junctions on the N11, there is no yield sign for the cycle lane. It is a serious accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

CramCycle wrote: »
    This mornign coming along the N11 at the turn for Fosters Avenue. I take the lane from the junction before as the left turn, even when quiet there is another statistic waiting to happen. The cycle lane pulls you out of the rear view mirror sight line of turning vehicles and then swings you in with 5 metres to go.

As I overtook the turning traffic, I yet again seen a N and L plate (one car) turn straight across a guy (ha barely overtook) going onto the junction. He is obviously used to this and slammed on, didn't even seem to care, the car went on without even noticing.

Just to be clear, unlike many other junctions on the N11, there is no yield sign for the cycle lane. It is a serious accident waiting to happen.

That junctions gotten a good few mentions in other threads over the years, it's incredibly dangerous. You either need to adjust for cars turning across you or take the lane from just before the crossover at colaiste eoin. So many useless sections both north & southbound on the N11, it's a real wonder that nothings been done to improve some of the more damaged or badly designed sections given the cycle traffic using the route.

That junctions gotten a good few mentions in other threads over the years, it's incredibly dangerous. You either need to adjust for cars turning across you or take the lane from just before the crossover at colaiste eoin. So many useless sections both north & southbound on the N11, it's a real wonder that nothings been done to improve some of the more damaged or badly designed sections given the cycle traffic using the route.

Dangerous for cars too. The turn seems to appear out of nowhere when you're driving, and the average speed of the general traffic coming up to it makes it hard to slow for the turn.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The one benefit I have noticed is that bus drivers seem to realise what I am doing now, and not give out, realising that if more people done what I do, there would be less waiting behind cars to turn right.
    Chuchote wrote: »
    Dangerous for cars too. The turn seems to appear out of nowhere when you're driving, and the average speed of the general traffic coming up to it makes it hard to slow for the turn.
    Most cars jump in the bus lane early, even the junction before. I don't think it is dangerous for cars if they are driving appropriately. I suppose that is the issue though. IF and APPROPRIATELY

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Had a very close one this morning - BMW X5, no surprise there.:rolleyes:

I'm after dropping junior to school, cycling along the carpenterstown road. Residential road, 50 kph limit. Slower cyclist in front, so look around, indicated clearly - strobe and hi vis on back pack. Car coming against me. Woman in X5 decides to gun it, pretty much as soon as she saw me indicating, squeezing between me overtaking a cyclist and the car coming the opposite way.

I hear the nail bar in Castleknock is busy on Thursday mornings, so probably a perfectly good reason for such a crazy maneuver.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That junctions gotten a good few mentions in other threads over the years, it's incredibly dangerous.
    just had a look at it on google street view. that's bananas. wilfully dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

This Mornings "Incident" was a bit more pleasant.

Cycling on the R108 from Knocksedan to Dublin Airport, a HGV was behind me. He was very patient and seemed happy to stay behind me. But i decided to help out. there was a wide driveway ahead, so i signalled to the driver to overtake me as i moved over to my left and slowed as he passed me. He gave a quick "hoot" with his Truck air horns as he passed! i was able to move back onto the road immediately behind his trailer bumper without missing a beat!

It was no skin off my nose to allow him to pass and sometimes its nice to be nice to other roadusers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

07Lapierre wrote: »
    This Mornings "Incident" was a bit more pleasant.

Cycling on the R108 from Knocksedan to Dublin Airport, a HGV was behind me. He was very patient and seemed happy to stay behind me. But i decided to help out. there was a wide driveway ahead, so i signalled to the driver to overtake me as i moved over to my left and slowed as he passed me. He gave a quick "hoot" with his Truck air horns as he passed! i was able to move back onto the road immediately behind his trailer bumper without missing a beat!

It was no skin off my nose to allow him to pass and sometimes its nice to be nice to other roadusers!

Had a HGV driver reach out his window and pull in his mirror to let me pass on the quays yesterday morning . I said thanks, he said no probs bud. We both went on our way happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

5uspect wrote: »
    I think I'll have to get a camera for my bike with the amount of **** that happens on my short commute.

Yesterday some absolute twat in an Audi undertook a string of traffic on Snugborough road in the bus lane at speed while I was in said bus lane. Missed me by millimetres.

I had caught up to him by the traffic lights by the time they turned green.

That road is lethal for that. Be a dick by skipping down the bus lane, but don't be an absolute dangerous asshole and do it at the speed that many of the dicks do it at.

That's the road where I had my attempted education from a Dublin Bus driver one morning, came right up behind me and started beeping. I knew what he was at so took my time to look around. He pointed to the cycle lane, the one littered in all sorts of crap, I gave him a wave feigning ignorance as to his intentions. It's so dumb, because it's downhill and with the bus stops along it you'll beat a bus every time to the N3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Cycling on the R108 from Knocksedan to Dublin Airport, a HGV was behind me.

Too right you got him to go to the front. These wheelsuckers need to realise that they have to do a turn every now and again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I'm noticing a trend of close passes by other cyclists at speed. I make a point of stopping at every light, so of those lights are on hills, so these gob****es are hitting some serious speeds.

Also yesterday on the grounds of the garage opposite The Goat pub, I was walking with my bike through the forecourt near the parking spots, well out of the way and some guy comes in behind me tries to swing his car in front of me at speed into a parking spot. Clipped the front wheel of my bike.

Lets just say, I informed him of error in no uncertain words and I don't think he'll be doing it again, ah the good old fear of violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

I make a point of stopping at every light.

You should not stop for a green light :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife was on the bus on o'connell street yesterday and a cyclist decided to squeeze up between the bus and the fencing separating the lane from the luas works. the gap was clearly narrower than his handlebars as he got his bars snarled up in the fence and was having difficulty extracting them, and ended up having to pound the side of the bus to warn the driver of his predicament. anyway, he extricated himself, the bus driver pulled out a bit to give him room to pass, and he cycled off up the road to do the exact same thing with the bus in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

my wife was on the bus on o'connell street yesterday and a cyclist decided to squeeze up between the bus and the fencing separating the lane from the luas works. the gap was clearly narrower than his handlebars as he got his bars snarled up in the fence and was having difficulty extracting them, and ended up having to pound the side of the bus to warn the driver of his predicament. anyway, he extricated himself, the bus driver pulled out a bit to give him room to pass, and he cycled off up the road to do the exact same thing with the bus in front.

Saw a similar one recently. A coach indicating right to swing back up Dame St at the taxi rank. I was sat behind on my motorbike and 2 cyclists had positioned on the left of the coach unable to get in front. When the coach started his swing to turn, one of the cyclists had to abandon the bike or get crushed against the fencing. The 2nd managed to push himself back in time.

GBX wrote: »
    Saw a similar one recently. A coach indicating right to swing back up Dame St at the taxi rank. I was sat behind on my motorbike and 2 cyclists had positioned on the left of the coach unable to get in front. When the coach started his swing to turn, one of the cyclists had to abandon the bike or get crushed against the fencing. The 2nd managed to push himself back in time.

It's incredible that the builders didn't make a separate lane for cyclists when they were placing the wire netting.

It's bad enough when foolish people cycle up beside buses; I've also had buses pull up beside me and force me in between them and the wire. At this stage, when I'm in a place like that, if I hear a bus coming behind me I make a "Keep Back" sign with arm extended, palm back towards bus. I wish there were a generally understood sign language sign for "DANGER!"

• Advertisement

best practice there would be to take the middle of the lane and not afford the bus the opportunity to pull alongside you. if he does anyway, it gives you much more escape room.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement