Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Jesus, white cargo bike on the N11, turning right towards the Lep Inn. Red Light for everyone, she hooked it from the bus lane but paying no attention the approaching traffic got a green just as she crossed. Thankfully the bus driver copped what was happening and lay on the horn to warn the lads about to jump the gun. She very classily gave the driver the finger and started roaring

There were three kids in the front, really classy cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Colleague in work got knocked off his bike this morning commuting to work. Motorist pulled across him from a side road. All good - bit bruised and sore, got checked out at the hospital.

Came up as a topic of conservation at lunch time. “They break red lights all the time”, “saw one the other day without a helmet”, “what do you think of electric scooters”. Makes you wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Fian wrote: »
    They have changed the sequence on this junction (milltown / clonskeagh near ranelagh):

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3183326,-6.2417935,3a,75y,334.15h,85.2t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sjVlwR9_Jt0IcU0CRQqmhLQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DjVlwR9_Jt0IcU0CRQqmhLQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D60.556324%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Stopped giving a straight ahead filter arrow because too many motorists were turning left on it accross a pedestrian crossing that is showing green. Its a pity really because the straight on arrow let cyclists stopped at lights get ahead of traffic planning to turn left to head towards Milltown and avoid left hooks.
    God forbid they’d actually police it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I just got left hooked by a car pulling into a parking space at Merrion Square. Tapped on his window after he parked and told him he cut across me in the cycle lane. His response was that his indicator was on. So I just explained that he wouldn't do that manoeuvre if it was a car inside him and went off on my way.

Got hit this morning, cyclist went into the back of me at a roundabout. No harm done but his excuse was he didn't think I was going to stop. Why would I not stop, there was two buses going around the roundabout. He needs coffee before getting on his bike.
    Sound effects are very dramatic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Video comes up as private.

Effects wrote: »
    Video comes up as private.

Try it now, it is very unremarkable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

CramCycle wrote: »
    Got hit this morning, cyclist went into the back of me at a roundabout. No harm done but his excuse was he didn't think I was going to stop. Why would I not stop, there was two buses going around the roundabout. He needs coffee before getting on his bike.

I love that kind of excuse - not just holding his hands up and saying he was in the wrong for cycling too close behind you, not paying enough attention, not even allowing for very normal and predictable actions.

You can see that he briefly takes his eyes off you just as you're beginning to brake too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

CramCycle wrote: »

What a complete muppet, paying no attention is more like it

What is the situation with box junctions? With cars turning across the box, should a cyclist stop to let them across them pass?
    Its risky if car cant see a cyclist passing on inside. I stopped, and was shouted by another cyclist behind..."hey, you are breaking the code".
    Roads joining Ranelagh road, are really dangerous with this sort of driver behaviour.
    Theres also the crazy lady filming cyclists each morning, with commentary.
    https://twitter.com/Barrywfinnegan/status/1186973101185294341
    :pac:

• Advertisement

I love that kind of excuse - not just holding his hands up and saying he was in the wrong for cycling too close behind you, not paying enough attention, not even allowing for very normal and predictable actions.

You can see that he briefly takes his eyes off you just as you're beginning to brake too.

Track bike vs Disc brakes as well, pffft :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You were hit by a complete Fred :pac:

That helmet angle makes my teeth hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Colleague in work got knocked off his bike this morning commuting to work. Motorist pulled across him from a side road. All good - bit bruised and sore, got checked out at the hospital.

Came up as a topic of conservation at lunch time. “They break red lights all the time”, “saw one the other day without a helmet”, “what do you think of electric scooters”. Makes you wonder.
    No road tax mentions? Lightweights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

No road tax mentions? Lightweights.

Yeah, no mention of insurance. I'm sure it'll come up again when people are talking about the "dangers of cycling" over lunch another time. Perhaps "road tax" and insurance are the answer after all.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

Nothing too serious but must be a record for the most unrelated near misses in 20 secs! The mother and daughter didn't even notice me and if not for the car pulling out in front of me I'd of been a lot closer to the kid :(

https://streamable.com/lm2z2

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

tnegun wrote: »
    Nothing too serious but must be a record for the most unrelated near misses in 20 secs! The mother and daughter didn't even notice me and if not for the car pulling out in front of me I'd of been a lot closer to the kid :(

https://streamable.com/lm2z2

Some days it feels like one of those video games where the obstructions just keep popping up, one after another.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It's a really ****ty driver that needs to swing left before making a right hand turn - and that's before considering their inability to use their mirrors

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Witnessed two in the space of a few minutes on the way to work yesterday. There must have been something in the water.

First of all a cyclist swings into an exit gate in the Phoenix Park and only some emergency swerving avoided a face full of Land Rover as a result. Hilariously, the same chap had been remonstrating with a driver who was driving inside a dashed line cycle lane a few minutes earlier.

Then, at the Chapelizod Gate, a chap in a builders van exited and entrance gate in the park and was very nearly hit by a car going west down the Chapelizod Road. His kid was in the passenger seat, meaning he would have gotten the brunt of the impact.

5uspect wrote: »

Solid white line of paint. Why can this not be replaced with a raised permanent fixture to stop cars from ever entering. That driver clearly doesn't understand that solid white line means do not cross, but they would understand a line of bricks or lump of cement creating an actual barrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Solid white line of paint. Why can this not be replaced with a raised permanent fixture to stop cars from ever entering. That driver clearly doesn't understand that solid white line means do not cross, but they would understand a line of bricks or lump of cement creating an actual barrier.

I know, even those flappy plastic poles (technical term) on solid white lines would make a huge difference to cycling in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Because you'd be stuck behind the slowist cyclist the whole length of the canal then! That lane is so narrow.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

Because you'd be stuck behind the slowist cyclist the whole length of the canal then! That lane is so narrow.

Surely better than being wiped out by a car like nearly happened in the video above?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Both the cycle lane and driving lane are too narrow. It's a solid line to make it look like they care, but in reality there's no room to put in a kerb, which proves the infrastructure isn't fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

And if you did manage to overtake said cyclist they'd push their way to the top of the queue at the next set of lights for the process to begin all over again.
    Besides road surfaces and bad driving such cyclists are seriously annoying. I'm no speed demon but I got annoyed enough one morning along the north quays to say to one such cyclist that it was the 4th time I had to overtake him. Why not wait behind in order of arrival, delusional a lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah they used to drive me mad when I cycled the canal to work. Not so bad on the quays as there's room to get around them again. A few times I'll creep forward in lockstep with them as they're trying to push their way out in front of me and they'll end up out in the junction with traffic having to manoeuvre around them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

And if you did manage to overtake said cyclist they'd push their way to the top of the queue at the next set of lights for the process to begin all over again.
    Besides road surfaces and bad driving such cyclists are seriously annoying. I'm no speed demon but I got annoyed enough one morning along the north quays to say to one such cyclist that it was the 4th time I had to overtake him. Why not wait behind in order of arrival, delusional a lot of them.

Why the ****ing **** do the slowest ****ing cyclists on the road always ****ing do that?! It absolutely boils my ****ing piss.

Even worse is when they break the lights shortly before they turn green, so you can't even get past them by setting off quickly when the lights change.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

We share the road, just because a car can go faster, doesn't mean it gets to go first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    We share the road, just because a car can go faster, doesn't mean it gets to go first :)

It would if it got to the traffic lights first..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

And drivers say the exact same thing about cyclists who use the advanced stop line at lights. Just gotta take a deep breath and suck it up. You'll get there eventualy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement