Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

TheChizler wrote: »
    And drivers say the exact same thing about cyclists who use the advanced stop line at lights. Just gotta take a deep breath and suck it up. You'll get there eventualy.

Advanced stop line is for safety of the cyclist, slow cyclists skipping the queue isn't

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Advanced stop line is for safety of the cyclist, slow cyclists skipping the queue isn't

It's called filtering, not skipping the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Doesn't make a difference in terms of delays to setting off. It's there to be used by everyone on a bike, just like the top of the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭McGrath5

This morning going down Stocking Lane, a car swung left without indicating into the water reservoir entrance, he nearly wiped me out but the disc brakes on the new bike saved me.
    The driver gave me a nice wave and on he went.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It's called filtering, not skipping the queue.

I presume he means when you are waiting at the junction and the cyclist you overtook a minute ago, comes around you and practically sits on the junction so as to be in front of you, even though you have overtaken him three times, he still does it at every lights of no real reason. It isn't in the ASL, he isn't beside you, he just is acting the maggot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

tnegun wrote: »
    Nothing too serious but must be a record for the most unrelated near misses in 20 secs! The mother and daughter didn't even notice me and if not for the car pulling out in front of me I'd of been a lot closer to the kid :(

https://streamable.com/lm2z2

to me the as* hat walking in the cycle lane is nearly the worst in that clip

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

CramCycle wrote: »
    I presume he means when you are waiting at the junction and the cyclist you overtook a minute ago, comes around you and practically sits on the junction so as to be in front of you, even though you have overtaken him three times, he still does it at every lights of no real reason. It isn't in the ASL, he isn't beside you, he just is acting the maggot.

It's called shoaling. It's rude and at odds with urban bike etiquette, most cyclists don't even realise they're doing it.

https://gothamist.com/news/what-is-shoaling-and-should-cyclists-stop-doing-it

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It's called shoaling. It's rude and at odds with urban bike etiquette, most cyclists don't even realise they're doing it.

It is so annoying, not because of the delay but because it's so damned rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

John_Rambo wrote: »

Interestingly, I moved from a bike with drops to one with flat bars for my commute, and I get 'shoaled' far more often now, mostly by lads in full lycra on their commute, the ones who struggle into their clips and then freewheel carefree down the canal. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Unnecessary overtaking. Dick move regardless of whether you're cycling or driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Shoaling is fine IF you know you are faster than the other cyclists in the queue. My rule is that if someone has previously overtaken me or looks likely to leave me in the dust I'll stay behind, otherwise I'll move up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

But surely if they keep catching up with you there's no point in you overtaking in the first place? It's just an unnecessary overtake to beat the person to the next set of lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Left hooked: https://streamable.com/8apa4

Yes I know I'm not perfect either in this going through the amber light. I just couldn't figure out why the overtake just to pull across.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

But surely if they keep catching up with you there's no point in you overtaking in the first place? It's just an unnecessary overtake to beat the person to the next set of lights.

Yes we should all cycle at the speed of the slowest cyclist on the road. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Or maybe if you were able to get away unimpeded you'd pass through the next lights before they turn red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

blackwhite wrote: »
    Or maybe if you were able to get away unimpeded you'd pass through the next lights before they turn red.

But not if your in a car of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭blackwhite

hesker wrote: »
    But not if your in a car of course.

When on the bike I'll always make sure not to cause unnecessary delays to any other road users - regardless of their mode of transport.

When in the car, I've yet to see a line of cars stopped at lights where a car that was previously overtaken overtakes the line and tries to cut in at the top of the queue (I've seen it from impatient c*nts trying to skip the queue alright - but never from someone who's been driving so slowly that they've been overtaken before the queue)

It's also creating danger by forcing unnecessary overtaking.

The whole wait for a gap to overtake safely, overtake, get caught at the lights because you had to wait, ignorant sap jumps onto the path and back in front of you, no room to overtake because of traffic, wait for a gap to overtake ..... rinse ...... repeat..... thing does my head in at times.

Selfish, self-absorbed, "I'm alright Jack" mentality that you see in all walks of life. Pricks who won't take a door off you as you're stood there holding it for them, people who barge into lifts or onto trains before the others can get off, idiots hogging seats on public transport for their bag so nobody will sit beside them, sh1tebags who put their luggage into the overhead bin at row 3 even though they're seated in row 15 on a plane, the great, lumbering piles of redundant protoplasm who come to a complete stop as soon as they step off the escalators........Some folks are just so far stuck up their own holes that they either don't realise or don't care that they are having such a negative effect on everyone else just going about their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

blackwhite wrote: »
    ....When in the car, I've yet to see a line of cars stopped at lights where a car that was previously overtaken overtakes the line and tries to cut in at the top of the queue ...
    That's a poor analogy as it's generally not physically possible for motorists to move to the front at lights even if they wish to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Selfish, self-absorbed, "I'm alright Jack" mentality that you see in all walks of life. Pricks who won't take a door off you as you're stood there holding it for them, people who barge into lifts or onto trains before the others can get off, idiots hogging seats on public transport for their bag so nobody will sit beside them, sh1tebags who put their luggage into the overhead bin at row 3 even though they're seated in row 15 on a plane, the great, lumbering piles of redundant protoplasm who come to a complete stop as soon as they step off the escalators........Some folks are just so far stuck up their own holes that they either don't realise or don't care that they are having such a negative effect on everyone else just going about their business.
    You forgot about those utter morons who push both direction buttons when they wish to use a lift and then have the audacity to ask "are you going up or down?" when the door opens. Press the direction you wish to travel you dimwit and stop slowing everything down for the rest of use! Drives me nuts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭tommythecat

droidus wrote: »
    Shoaling is fine IF you know you are faster than the other cyclists in the queue. My rule is that if someone has previously overtaken me or looks likely to leave me in the dust I'll stay behind, otherwise I'll move up.

I always check the gears of the people in front of me and make a decision whether to shoal or not. If they are not in a high gear I will move in front as they will be very slow out of the traps. A large proportion of people have no idea how to use gears.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

I always check the gears of the people in front of me and make a decision whether to shoal or not. If they are not in a high gear I will move in front as they will be very slow out of the traps. A large proportion of people have no idea how to use gears.

Good call. That's one of the great things about hub gears - youre always in the right gear, though often I speed away from the lights and a proper cyclist catches up and has to overtake once they build up some speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Kander wrote: »
    Left hooked: https://streamable.com/8apa4

Yes I know I'm not perfect either in this going through the amber light. I just couldn't figure out why the overtake just to pull across.

I'd have done exactly the same. Clueless driver thinking that by the time I come to the junction, slow down and turn left that cyclist will still be "way" behind me.

I'd almost be close to going over and speaking to the motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

micar wrote: »
    I'd have done exactly the same. Clueless driver thinking that by the time I come to the junction, slow down and turn left that cyclist will still be "way" behind me.

I'd almost be close to going over and speaking to the motorist

I think it's the biggest mistake motorists make regarding cyclists. Misjudging speeds (or just bad depth perception) and assuming all cyclists travel at 10kph which may have been the case when a certain vintage learned to drive.

Got hit by a cyclist in a shared space this afternoon. Doing about 20kmph, I came out of a building and started to jog as it was raining and we collided as we both came round a corner. Bruised hip as I hit the ground and shoulder is sore as the cyclist went straight over and speared my shoulder. All seemed OK and after we checked each over, off they went. I was more worried about them as their head hit my shoulder square on.

My jaw is now in pain though which is weird, and sitting is not pleasant, can't eat properly, hopefully just an annoyance.

Bussed it home though, wasn't going to cycle with my hip so sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

That's two cyclists in two days CramCycle. I think I'd stay indoors tomorrow...

They say these things come in threes so watch out if he's about least you be victim number three :D

Seriously though hopefully nothing to be concerned about it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,962 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You forgot about those utter morons who push both direction buttons when they wish to use a lift and then have the audacity to ask "are you going up or down?" when the door opens. Press the direction you wish to travel you dimwit and stop slowing everything down for the rest of use! Drives me nuts!
    We should bring back capital punishment for lift abusers.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

I mostly post on Twitter but cross posting this as it was so bad

https://twitter.com/AlanDub13/status/1187822390203551744?s=19

• Advertisement

I was near ****ing myself watching that, what did he say? Sorry pal I didn't see ya???? after you sitting in front of him for the guts of 2 minutes and what if you didn't have the horn?????

I know your bike is a good length and you'd be encroaching on the crossing here if you moved further up but I think I'd at least keep further to the right after moving to the front to block dickheads like this. Shouldn't have to of course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement