Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I know your bike is a good length and you'd be encroaching on the crossing here if you moved further up but I think I'd at least keep further to the right after moving to the front to block dickheads like this. Shouldn't have to of course.

It would be almost impossible to not notice the site_owner here, being slightly further forward would have just meant he was definitely under the wheel, I don't think any position would have made a difference bar him climbing up on the windscreen and wiping his bare arse on the drivers side of the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

I was near ****ing myself watching that, what did he say? Sorry pal I didn't see ya???? after you sitting in front of him for the guts of 2 minutes and what if you didn't have the horn?????

I know your bike is a good length and you'd be encroaching on the crossing here if you moved further up but I think I'd at least keep further to the right after moving to the front to block dickheads like this. Shouldn't have to of course.

The bikes 2.5m long, you can see me from a mile off :) thousands of times I've been at this junction and this was just nonsense, primary isn't needed here, it's nice and wide and, in all honesty, this guy would probably have run through me.

Yeah, no horn and I'd be under a van I reckon.

He accused me of cutting up the inside and cycling into him. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

CramCycle wrote: »
    It would be almost impossible to not notice the site_owner here, being slightly further forward would have just meant he was definitely under the wheel, I don't think any position would have made a difference bar him climbing up on the windscreen and wiping his bare arse on the drivers side of the window.

That's an interesting visual !

Agree and said pretty much said so, so reread what I posted. I think going to the front and keeping right would have prevented this and maybe he might have engaged the hand break and not sat on the clutch though maybe not given his ****ty driving. No problem with the OP's cycling and everything to do with the vans ****ty driving but sometimes you need to prevent stupid from being stupid.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That's a poor analogy as it's generally not physically possible for motorists to move to the front at lights even if they wish to do so.

I beg to differ, :pac: Mr. White Van driver here enters the compulsory cycle lane, mounts the footpath just to get ahead at the lights.

I managed to get ahead of him and made him wait at the lights much to his annoyance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That's two cyclists in two days CramCycle. I think I'd stay indoors tomorrow...
    I am very uncomfortable at the minute. Pain in jaw, sore to sit, shoulders have restricted movement. I just want to sleep for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I am very uncomfortable at the minute. Pain in jaw, sore to sit, shoulders have restricted movement. I just want to sleep for a bit.
    Sounds like you need to get yourself checked out tbh.

Yeah sounds like you took a fair old wallop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭blackwhite

That's a poor analogy as it's generally not physically possible for motorists to move to the front at lights even if they wish to do so.

I’ve seen many instances where some asshat drives up a turning lane, then throws on an indicator and noses across to the top of the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Two nack bags in a 2008 BMW 3-Series thought it’d be good craic to buzz me in the bus lane (other lane free) at Blanchardstown earlier. They were going so fast that they screeched to a halt at the red light, well in advance of the bike box and last white line. People crossing (looked like a group of Spanish students) got a bit of a shock. I was sure he was going to hit them.

I drew along side at the ref light. Making sure to ignore them. The radio on the car with their knackery music gets turned up, presumably for a reaction. Lights go green, they screech off to the next red lights. Hey, if your knackery parents didn’t give you attention growing up, I’m certainly not going to give it when you’re driving around like a complete clown. I was thinking cycling off that statistically they’ll be unlikely to live to my age (nearly 50) if they continue like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Two nack bags in a 2008 BMW 3-Series thought it’d be good craic to buzz me in the bus lane (other lane free) at Blanchardstown earlier. They were going so fast that they screeched to a halt at the red light, well in advance of the bike box and last white line. People crossing (looked like a group of Spanish students) got a bit of a shock. I was sure he was going to hit them.

I drew along side at the ref light. Making sure to ignore them. The radio on the car with their knackery music gets turned up, presumably for a reaction. Lights go green, they screech off to the next red lights. Hey, if your knackery parents didn’t give you attention growing up, I’m certainly not going to give it when you’re driving around like a complete clown. I was thinking cycling off that statistically they’ll be unlikely to live to my age (nearly 50) if they continue like that.

Fu(k that sh1t.

Ring traffic watch and report the driver of dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Taxi driver, just speeding up the cycle lane to avoid the traffic queue on Stephen's Green.
    Can you report stuff like this?

LzEBVrp.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was driving yesterday, coming from a minor road and turning left onto a major road, so obviously primarily focussed on traffic coming from the right. about 100m or 200m up to my right, a double decker bus was stopped, so i was concerned that there might be overtaking traffic obscured by the bus, so i was making sure there wasn't before i pulled out and swung left - and realised i hadn't seen a cyclist to my left; he was stopped in the lane, seemed to be having trouble clipping in, and must have been there for at least 5 seconds without me copping him. as it was, i wouldn't have hit him regardless, but it did startle me that i managed to not see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Effects wrote: »
    Taxi driver, just speeding up the cycle lane to avoid the traffic queue on Stephen's Green.

NTA wont take non pax complaints. Traffic watch is your avenue to report it but expect the least enthusiastic response possible. AGS operate "no contact no foul" when it comes to TW.

Effects wrote: »

That was common when I commuted this way a while back. Often overtaken by taxis in this lane. Some carry on from “professional” drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Assuming some fecker let him in too, always the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

i was driving yesterday, coming from a minor road and turning left onto a major road, so obviously primarily focussed on traffic coming from the right. about 100m or 200m up to my right, a double decker bus was stopped, so i was concerned that there might be overtaking traffic obscured by the bus, so i was making sure there wasn't before i pulled out and swung left - and realised i hadn't seen a cyclist to my left; he was stopped in the lane, seemed to be having trouble clipping in, and must have been there for at least 5 seconds without me copping him. as it was, i wouldn't have hit him regardless, but it did startle me that i managed to not see him.

Extremely common for all of us to only look in one direction. Most frequent reason for crashes at roundabouts I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Main reason the driving test fail rate is so high according to my instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This morning, coming down Finglas road towards town. Was overtaken by a women in the bus lane (shouldn't have been there but that's an aside), just as two pedestrians walked out onto the road without looking causing her to slam on the brakes. I just about managed to stay on the bike and avoid going into the back of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

I haven't guffawed in a long time, but by jaysus did I guffaw at that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

still an ever so slight tingle in my right hand from an open handed slap i gave a car earlier. idiot was nearly stationary in traffic, but decided to swing into a petrol station without indicating, or clearly checking her rear view mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

and what if you didn't have the horn?????

An unusual way to attract a driver's attention, but I'd say it'd work all right.

Castleknock this evening, indicating to avoid some leaves in the road ahead of me. Not sure if anyone noticed, but it’s rained buckets over the past 72 hours and there’s debris everywhere. :rolleyes:.

Queue of cars coming the other way, and on a narrow road, but numb nuts behind me still tries to overtake me. This close passing law can’t come soon enough.

waiting at this junction to turn right (in the car) earlier, wet and dark out, and a car coming from my left and turning right, i.e. to come down past me, didn't spot the cyclist - with light and hi-vis - coming from my right. i blew the horn at the motorist to warn him but i got a 'what was that for?' look from him as he passed, i don't think he copped the cyclist at any point.
    to add insult to injury, (and not seen by me, but my wife) the motorist who had been behind the cyclist basically ran him off the road onto the footpath seconds later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

A few from the last 2 days

Why paint doesn't make a safe cycle lane - it might look like the cars pulled away but I slowed prempting the left hook

https://streamable.com/qny0n - bonus close pass

https://streamable.com/fq79i
    https://streamable.com/q90d6 - too busy reading the Journal on his phone

2 impatient drivers
    https://streamable.com/c3x16

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

With rain like this evening, it's always a huge relief to get home in one piece. It's not the getting wet that bothers me (I was totally comfortable in my rain gear), it's the increased level of impatience/poor observation, coupled with the fact that it takes longer to brake when you do get cut off/pedestrian walks out in front etc.

Decided against getting on the bike tomorrow for that reason, will work from home or get the bus.

i don't mind cycling in the dark, and i don't mind cycling in the wet, but cycling in the wet and dark is unpleasant. partly because i know that most drivers won't see bike lights in rear view mirrors if they're covered in raindrops.

i don't mind cycling in the dark, and i don't mind cycling in the wet, but cycling in the wet and dark is unpleasant. partly because i know that most drivers won't see bike lights in rear view mirrors if they're covered in raindrops.

Or if they’re looking at a video on their phone while driving, like the clown I saw earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Had a punishment close pass by a tosspot in a Donegal reg VW golf in the bus lane on the way into Dublin CC opposite St Nicholas' Cathedral this morning. He came very close to me.

He was tailgating me before this as he illegally used the bus lane around Fumbally Cafe.

I have bad footage of this on camera as it was very wet. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

FYI, there's a discussion about the NTA being able to issue fines or points to motorists who are filmed driving in a bus lane in the BusConnects thread.
    Yesterday our pathetic Minister for Transport, Tourism & Sport confirmed that the gardai are the only ones who will enforce this law (and we know how well that has gone :rolleyes:)...
    https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1192132496076476417

On a slightly separate matter, how does one provide video footage to AGS?
    Email? Web URL? Memory stick (do you get it back)?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement