Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

I've given them a URL to download it from but it was never downloaded, given them a USB key that was never returned and had them film it on their phone from my laptop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

FYI, there's a discussion about the NTA being able to issue fines or points to motorists who are filmed driving in a bus lane in the BusConnects thread.
    Yesterday our pathetic Minister for Transport, Tourism & Sport confirmed that the gardai are the only ones who will enforce this law (and we know how well that has gone :rolleyes:)...
    https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1192132496076476417

On a slightly separate matter, how does one provide video footage to AGS?
    Email? Web URL? Memory stick (do you get it back)?

Loads of abuse of the bus / Cycle lanes on pretty much every part of my commute this morning from castleknock to central Dublin. It's getting worse as well. The chances of being caught are so slim it's worth the risk obviously. Speaking to one of my Northern Irish work colleagues yesterday, he's in disbelief that you can drive in a bus lane pretty much at will here.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Aircoach broke the lights and continued through at North Wall Quay at the Samuel Beckett Bridge crossing this morning.

- Lights go red for car traffic
    - Light goes green for bicycle traffic
    - Wreckless Aircoach driver continues on and slams on in the middle of the junction
    - Much cursing and blinding from everyone

It seems like this is a hotspot due to the distance between ped/bicycle crossings. When I got to work I was wondering what can be done here, do I call the Guards? do I need footage? or do I just bitch on boards..

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Aircoach broke the lights and continued through at North Wall Quay at the Samuel Beckett Bridge crossing this morning.

- Wreckless Aircoach driver continues on and slams on in the middle of the junction

It seems like this is a hotspot due to the distance between ped/bicycle crossings. When I got to work I was wondering what can be done here, do I call the Guards? do I need footage? or do I just bitch on boards..

Even if you had footage there would be nothing done about it.

I've taken to screen capping things like that on my camera and leave scathing reviews on google for the relevant company.

I am also forming the opinion that boards is actually winding me up as opposed to being some form of cathartic release when bitching about it.

I'm cycling around in a very negative mood having a lot of imaginary arguments with bad drivers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

This junction has really gone to the dogs for stuff like this. Every day you see something like this because they know they can get away with it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i mentioned this a week or two ago - road safety is not a priority for gardai as the relevant authorities are happy with the current situation. road deaths are at a reasonable low, and that's the only metric they really care about. why fix it if it ain't broke?

until they start using other metrics in determining resource allocation, it's not going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,962 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Speaking to one of my Northern Irish work colleagues yesterday, he's in disbelief that you can drive in a bus lane pretty much at will here.
    A colleague who used to work as an on-call service engineer told me it was worth his while to use the bus lanes at will, and absorb a couple of €120 fines each year, as the chances of being caught were so slim.

I was coming south to north on that junction, and a black Audi heading east on the north quays ran the red light, and then beeped me when I had the temerity to move out in front of him. This was just after a taxi and a Foodco company truck did the illegal left turn over the bridge.

i mentioned this a week or two ago - road safety is not a priority for gardai as the relevant authorities are happy with the current situation. road deaths are at a reasonable low, and that's the only metric they really care about. why fix it if it ain't broke?

until they start using other metrics in determining resource allocation, it's not going to change.

It's very irish. I was just thinking on the way home that the reason there isn't more done about red light jumping is because there is not a huge volume of serious accidents arising from it.*

It's the 'ah shure it's grand, there's no one getting killed.'

*I have absolutely no stats to back this up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

If there was ever a case for the cycling community and Cycling Ireland to get behind and put pressure on the State and an GS it has to be the case of the late Shane O'Farrell. A truly awful littany of fcuk ups, cover ups. I heard his mother on the radio yesterday, a truly remarkable woman, the case goes back to August 2011, shame on the authorities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bus lane and traffic light cameras would pay for themselves within a year I'd wager. IT's the risk of eejits tieing up courts and such that's the biggest issue I'd bet

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    If there was ever a case for the cycling community and Cycling Ireland to get behind and put pressure on the State and an GS it has to be the case of the late Shane O'Farrell. A truly awful littany of fcuk ups, cover ups. I heard his mother on the radio yesterday, a truly remarkable woman, the case goes back to August 2011, shame on the authorities.

God I remember that one, truly horrific. Last I heard about it was some months ago when several members of the force were to face disciplinary proceedings, did anything come of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

7 or so last night. Heading west on NCR just before Phibsboro. Heavy traffic, worked my way into right hand lane to take a right down the lane that goes down the side of mountjoy at the library. Pedestrian light in front of me is going red, so thats ideal as I won't need to hold up traffic as I wait to turn.

Im just about to turn right, do one more check over my shoulder and as I swing my head back around before I start turning, and just then a lady in a people carrier barrels straight through the red light. Missed me by about 5 inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Loads of abuse of the bus / Cycle lanes on pretty much every part of my commute this morning from castleknock to central Dublin. It's getting worse as well. The chances of being caught are so slim it's worth the risk obviously. Speaking to one of my Northern Irish work colleagues yesterday, he's in disbelief that you can drive in a bus lane pretty much at will here.

Same story here this morning - the bus & cycle lanes were almost entirely occupied with private traffic trying to skip the backlogs in Rathgar all the way up to the canal in Rathmines. Absolutely infuriating and caused my cycle, which is typically only 25mins from Knocklyon to Stephen's Green to take something closer to an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What's the reason for not having it camera enforced? You'd think it'd be a big cash generator.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Even if you had footage there would be nothing done about it.

I've taken to screen capping things like that on my camera and leave scathing reviews on google for the relevant company.

I am also forming the opinion that boards is actually winding me up as opposed to being some form of cathartic release when bitching about it.

I'm cycling around in a very negative mood having a lot of imaginary arguments with bad drivers. :D

I travel up and down the M7 a lot, the green bus is one of the most lethal things to contend with on the roads too. Flying up the overtaking lane, lane switching, speeding.. Mental! I actually thought one was hijacked one evening. Is it tough landing schedules that keeps them with the pedal to the metal?

Reminds me of the bus from chinese bus from NYC to Boston, before some of them got shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Potentially nasty incident on the club ride this morning . Four of us were battling through the rain, wind and floods when we heard a skid like noise and revving engine behind us. Looked around to see a car coming sideways towards us at speed. The rear of the car then struck the bank on the opposite side of the road helping to straighten it up. It then passed us by inches weaving uncontrollably from side to side. We thought we were gone.

It looks like the driver might have aqua-planed while speeding up for the overtake. I'd say she got as big a fright as we did but she didn't stop when she regained control. 'WH' registered navy MPV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bloody hell. new pants time all round.

still an ever so slight tingle in my right hand from an open handed slap i gave a car earlier. idiot was nearly stationary in traffic, but decided to swing into a petrol station without indicating, or clearly checking her rear view mirror.

So you gave the the big metal box a slap, like an old fashioned teacher to an unruly teenager.

Can't understand this theory going around that some Cyclists suffer from a delusion they are indestructible. :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

So you gave the the big metal box a slap, like an old fashioned teacher to an unruly teenager.

Can't understand this theory going around that some Cyclists suffer from a delusion they are indestructible. :confused:

Is this really a theory going around or did you just make that up?

It's pretty plain the reaction came from the poster because he's aware that cyclists are a damn sight more destructible than people driving the big metal boxes around them.

Can't understand this theory going around that some Cyclists suffer from a delusion they are indestructible.

In the heat of the moment it can seem like the right thing to do.
    I guess you think it'll make drivers more considerate, rather than them just running you off the road without even realising. I find it often makes them angry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Effects wrote: »
    I guess you think it'll make drivers more considerate, rather than them just running you off the road without even realising. I find it often makes them angry.

+1 If someone's that inconsiderate or unobservant to come close to hitting you, hitting their vehicle after the fact isn't likely to make them change their ways. Just make them angrier the next time they see someone on a bike.

Of course it it makes them notice you that's different.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What should one do when a car pulls across you potentially leading to a life changing injury or even a fatality?

It can make them angry, but you're assuming that they are paying attention to the road and actually see you doing it. I'd surmise they are left wondering if they hit someone a lot of the time.

What should one do when a car pulls across you potentially leading to a life changing injury or even a fatality?

Why, slap the little blighter across the fender with an open palm of course. That'll learn the bugger!

it's also one of the best ways to let the motorist know you're actually there. which is why i did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,962 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I find it often makes them look up from their phone to see what's going on around them. Sometimes it makes them pull away from me as they attempt to overtake me dangerously, without leaving enough space.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Last time a slapped a car was a few weeks ago - driver also most pinned me against a bus, I was overtaking it. She was trying to barge up the outer bus lane at Arran quay. She had no idea I was there, but a slap made her stop in her tracks. Maybe next time she’ll check her mirror?

it's also one of the best ways to let the motorist know you're actually there. which is why i did it.

I know. And when I read your original post, I knew that tingling feeling you mentioned, as I've had it a few times myself!

Last time I slapped a car was on the Howth Rd. The car started to pass me, heading into town, approaching Copeland Ave.
    As they had their front quarter panel level with me, they noticed a car turning right so started moving in on me in the cycle lane.
    I hit the passenger window with the bottom of my closed fist.
    When she finally did get past me further down the road she had her window open and called me an asshole, when she should have been apologising. Some drivers just double down, rather than admitting to themselves that they were wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Why, slap the little blighter across the fender with an open palm of course. That'll learn the bugger!
    Christine and Herbie were films not documentaries, not all cars are sentient.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement