Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Those van drivers are at it again :rolleyes:

Only joking, most vans I meet are quite reasonable and observant, this is just a story of a moron who happens to be a van driver.
    This morning I was coming round a bus that had pulled in, in front of me, indicated, looked, never actually left the lane but the van behind me went mental, then slowed while passing to wave his fist at me like some comical crank from a sh1tty 1960s British black and white comedy. He then proceeded to enter a round about in the left lane to exit at the 3rd exit. I overtook him a minute later, he still looked angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Breezer wrote: »
    When driving, you don't skim past other cars with inches to spare, at speed. You shouldn't do that to cyclists either, even prior to this law. All this law is doing is highlighting that doing so to a cyclist is more likely to result in injury because they're a more vulnerable road user, and increasing the penalty accordingly.

Again fully support the sentiments expressed here and elsewhere concerning protecting cyclists from dangerous and stupid motorists. I'm just making a point that some cyclists operate as if they have a death wish and IMO there should be more discussion around the risk to the health of cyclists from their own poor behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

creedp wrote: »
    Again fully support the sentiments expressed here and elsewhere concerning protecting cyclists from dangerous and stupid motorists. I'm just making a point that some cyclists operate as if they have a death wish and IMO there should be more discussion around the risk to the health of cyclists from their own poor behaviour.

Grand, I'll pass it on next time we're at a big gathering :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do people go to the motors forum position about death wish of some motorists?
    Do people post on boards fanatically about the death wish of motorcyclists, of pedestrians, of horse riders, of artic drivers, of bus drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

We'll make sure we raise this as the top item on the agenda at the next AGM, which every cyclist in the country is obliged to attend. I'll chip in myself in the meantime by lecturing every cyclists I see stray from the rule book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Here's the thing (or things):

1) Like most people with a certain mindset, you seem intent on making something of a strawman argument because I don't think you'll find anyone on here (or in the wider cycling sphere) argue that there aren't some complete muppets riding around on bikes, just like there's some complete muppets driving around in cars.

2) What those who cycle WILL argue is the assertion constantly implied by those that don't cycle, that there's a higher percentage of muppetry by people on bikes than there is by people driving cars. They will argue this because study after study after study has shown that not to be the case.

3) The bit of your post I've highlighted is a totally separate discussion to the one about bringing in a law to protect the many ordinary people who don't operate as if they have a death wish and do their best to travel from A to B safely and healthily.

4) If you want to have a discussion about rule breaking by people on bikes, by all means go ahead, but try to be a bit more analytical and keep it as a separate and fact based discussion.

It's very tiresome and tedious that the default response of so many now is to try to derail every single discussion laws on cyclist safety laws as well as every single discussion around cycle infrastructure etc with the same tired old anecdote based crap about the behavior of a certain subset of people seen on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Todays dangerous overtake is brought to you by a car overtaking on a solid white line, at a junction and into two on coming cars. Yay...

https://streamable.com/ize1m

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

By an unaccompanied learner as well by the looks of it. "Oh but some cyclists break the RotR :rolleyes:".

I really hope you reported that one, one of the worst I've seen posted here.

Kander wrote: »
    Todays dangerous overtake is brought to you by a car overtaking on a solid white line, at a junction and into two on coming cars. Yay...

I find the head cam footage nauseating but not as nauseating as the pig ignorant agression by that prick.
    Straight to the gardai with that video!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Does it only apply to motorist or can dash cam footage of a cyclist passing close by a car be used to gain a prosecution against a cyclist? Just sitting close by a junction in Dublin city centre and watching muppetry unfolding. To date all cyclist related muppetry. A woman cycled straight through a red light then across a junction into the oncoming lane and the took a right with no visibility of traffic potentially coming against her. Luckily no oncoming traffic or else they would be charged with passing too close to her as they drove over her. When you actually observe what going on around you the amount of cyclists putting their life at risk by breaking red lights is alarming
    Did you only see cyclist related muppetry or were you only LOOKING for cyclist related muppetry? There’s a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Do people go to the motors forum position about death wish of some motorists?
    Do people post on boards fanatically about the death wish of motorcyclists, of pedestrians, of horse riders, of artic drivers, of bus drivers?

Oh how silly of me I didnt realise l wasnt supposed to discuss poor cycling behaviour in a cycling forum. As for your first point above you should visit the Motors forum to see for yourself that level of commentary on the low standard of driving to be found on Irish roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Oh how silly of me I didnt realise l wasnt supposed to discuss poor cycling behaviour in a cycling forum. As for your first point above you should visit the Motors forum to see for yourself that level of commentary on the low standard of driving to be found on Irish roads.

"And I'm going to be a **** and drive dangerously around every driver I see until the general driving standard improves and refuse point blank to admit that I might be part of the problem as a result".

I wonder how well that would go down there. Because it's the general **** we have to put up with in cycling "debates".

I used to post quite a bit in the Motors forum myself as it happens. No-one there gets to use the forum as their personal soapbox. If someone posts something ill-informed, they will be called out on it.

Some of the motorists who come into the cycling forum with zero experience of cycling seem to think they can use it as a soapbox and adopt a "how dare you back-answer a motorist when they're talking down to you" attitude when challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Kander wrote: »

Perfect example of someone infringing the new law..be a very good test case to bring to Guards to see what they say...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

I find the head cam footage nauseating but not as nauseating as the pig ignorant agression by that prick.
    Straight to the gardai with that video!

I ran out of space on my handlebars as I have my two set of lamps on there already. Yes the head bob and movement can be off putting but I like that it is always pointing where I'm looking just in case there there is something happening beside or behind me.

Okay off to the gardai with me so. What do I need to bring with me? I'm guessing a copy of the clip on USB but is there anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

Bring your laptop so you can show them the footage and don't expect to get the USB key back either so use one you can afford to loose!

tnegun wrote: »
    Bring your laptop so you can show them the footage and don't expect to get the USB key back either so use one you can afford to loose!
    Tell them that the evidence is available online: https://streamable.com/ize1m

Entirely my own fault :o I knew this hole was there under the leaves and had sent a couple of emails asking for it and the leaves to be dealt with. I underestimated how large it was and almost paid the ultimate price
    https://streamable.com/tt1yk

Tell them that the evidence is available online: https://streamable.com/ize1m

From experience they might be able to play it on their phones but not on any garda pc/laptop in the station.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Some day in the future maybe we can look forward to well thought out, sensible cycle lane designs like this

The video helpfully shows a before/after comparison for the route.
    Just so much safer then before.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Some day in the future maybe we can look forward to well thought out, sensible cycle lane designs like this

The video helpfully shows a before/after comparison for the route.
    Just so much safer then before.

Their before is still pretty epic compared to our own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

The 70 million leaves on the cycle lane beside the grand canal were swept up into nice mounds today. Had a shaky moment where I didn’t spot one quick enough and cycled through it. Didn’t come off but came close. Don’t really see the purpose of sweeping them up into big piles. Either sweep and take them away or leave them. I’d rather one consistent blanket of wet leaves than piles of them dotted at random.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Round our way they use the small street sweeper for hard to reach places and the big one on the road with a man with a leaf blower walking ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Had to travel home that way this evening at 5.30pm. Wet dark and unable to use the cycle lane. Well done the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Again that fact is irrefutable. However I've lost count if the times I am driving in heavy urban traffic and indicating left well in advance of a junction only to have to hit the brakes to allow a cyclist to undertake me at just as I'm turning left. All I get for my consideration is at best a fist shaken at me with verbals but can also get a fist against the car window as the muppet squeezes past. Now could I be considered to be dangerously overtaking a vulnerable cyclist or is the cyclist dangerously undertaking me?

As I both cycle and drive I can see both sides and all I am doing is calling out muppetry on both sides because no matter who is at fault for an accident the cyclist will come off worst
    If you're crossing a cycle lane when turning left, then you need to check that it is clear and give way to traffic already in that lane, just like when crossing any other lane.

Do you call out muppetry like the 98% of drivers who break urban speed limits often?

Not a near miss for me and oddly one the Gardai won't listen too as it didn't involve me directly. Coming to a red light and I stop behind the car there. Pedestrian steps out on amber but it turns red as they do. It's a single lane, only a few seconds to clear it. Car rolls forward and brake tests the pedestrian, who jumps and says sorry. Just as they are at the other side of the bumper, Sir Dickface revs his engine and jumps forward before slamming on again. I mean a cm at best was what the pedestrian was away from irreparable knee damage and other injuries.

For what, the 3 second, if even delay, guy got caught at the next lights, in the bus lane. It was a new level of d1ckishness.

What is wrong with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not a near miss for me and oddly one the Gardai won't listen too as it didn't involve me directly.
    Are you sure? I've reported many incidents of drivers using phones that didn't directly involve me, other than as a witness.

But yeah, what is wrong with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Good few clowns on the toad on the commute home, lots of debris and leaves on the verge so lots of close passing.

Had some tool in a UK registered E200 merc whizz past me at park gate street, music blaring. He was turning right into the Phoenix park. As he was stopped, A few cyclists overtook him, signalling right. He nudged forward. He gunned the car to the extent that given the rain the back end of the car flipped out. Not sure if it was deliberate or not but he momentarily lost control of the car. Could have ended very nastily for the four cyclists in front of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not a near miss for me and oddly one the Gardai won't listen too as it didn't involve me directly. Coming to a red light and I stop behind the car there. Pedestrian steps out on amber but it turns red as they do. It's a single lane, only a few seconds to clear it. Car rolls forward and brake tests the pedestrian, who jumps and says sorry. Just as they are at the other side of the bumper, Sir Dickface revs his engine and jumps forward before slamming on again. I mean a cm at best was what the pedestrian was away from irreparable knee damage and other injuries.

For what, the 3 second, if even delay, guy got caught at the next lights, in the bus lane. It was a new level of d1ckishness.

What is wrong with people.

A real case of this old add required:

I reported a car last year who hit a cyclist 30m in front of me with his wing mirror and drove on. Guards weren't interested as I was only a witness (didn't involve me directly) and the victim hadn't reported it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement