Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Bloomfield Avenue is scary. Traffic flies up and down to the Hospital. There's a good chance that van was doing business in the hospital and they should be made aware of this accident.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had a near miss in the slip lane that goes past the Spa Hotel on the N4. Idiot driver coming from Dodsboro decided to stare to their left as they pulled out not looking at me coming towards him at about 45km/h.
    I screamed at him as I'm passing the side and front of the car but he didn't turn his head.
    No idea how I wasn't hit to be honest.
    He obviously saw me after I passed and kept his distance until he got the courage to pass me outside the car dealership.
    Strong flashing front light and usual high viz-crap obviously can't make a cretin driver face traffic as they pull out!
    I'll check the rear camera when in the office tomorrow but reckon it won't show much. Need to get a forward facing camera.

Can't really see his reg :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Meanwhile having gotten out initially and called emergency services the van driver "moved the van up the road a bit out of the way, be back in a minute", never returned.

Motherfcuker!!!! :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

fat bloke wrote: »

Hopefully he is done for leaving scene of accident (which now should be called incident as its now no longer an accident) - gardai should definitely pursue this, I would advise lady to ensure this happens - an apology is no longer enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

As a precaution I took a pic of his van before he left, including reg plate which has been passed on to the Gardai...

Well done. What a scrote!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

fat bloke wrote: »
    hesker wrote: »

Indeed he is both of those things! I now have a screenshot of him from the rear camera too so he won't be able to deny involvement once the Gardai catch up with him.
    Hopefully he is done for leaving scene of accident (which now should be called incident as its now no longer an accident) - gardai should definitely pursue this, I would advise lady to ensure this happens - an apology is no longer enough.

Both she and they are on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

hesker wrote: »

Only a total low life would do this. Fair play to the boardsie for taking the photo. It is indeed leaving the scene, a serious charge. Incident being the word as it was probably no accident that this low life ended up left hooking the cyclist. I hope she is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

tnegun wrote: »
    I've reported to Traffic Watch before then got a call asking would I be willing to go to court did you get the same or what was the process?

When making the initial report I note that I am willing to go to court. I understand why I'm asked in fairness, I wouldn't fancy compiling a file only for the reporting person to decide in the cold light of day that they don't want to go to court after all. Waste of everybody's time. That said, I've never had to go to court so I wouldn't be put off by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Indeed he is both of those things! I now have a screenshot of him from the rear camera too so he won't be able to deny involvement once the Gardai catch up with him.

Both she and they are on it.

Hope you have a good recollection of the driver's face - and get asked to verify - , in case, say, he wasn't insured or had no licence and the company concerned 'replace' him with a fall guy. Or when you say "screenshot of him", do you mean of the guy personally, rather than the van?

p15574 wrote: »
    Hope you have a good recollection of the driver's face - and get asked to verify - , in case, say, he wasn't insured or had no licence and the company concerned 'replace' him with a fall guy. Or when you say "screenshot of him", do you mean of the guy personally, rather than the van?
    I presume nobody would volunteer to take the hit on a "leaving the scene of an incident" allegation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Near miss for me this morning having me seriously consider disk brakes. I was cycling inbound through Donnybrook passing the Tescos when a twit on a bike coming from the road to the left, Belmont Road I think, decides to half enter the cycle lane when turning right (outbound) looked at me so I felt she saw me & then continues the maneuver & I had to slap on the brakes & skidded around her.

Learning from that is definitely: even if someone is on a bike, they may look in your direction but completely ignore your existence.
    Weirdly, the cars were very accommodating this morning, I even got waved ahead by a driver of a private coach in the bus lane, they usually have the least cyclist empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

p15574 wrote: »

He's got the culprits mugshot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

When making the initial report I note that I am willing to go to court. I understand why I'm asked in fairness, I wouldn't fancy compiling a file only for the reporting person to decide in the cold light of day that they don't want to go to court after all. Waste of everybody's time. That said, I've never had to go to court so I wouldn't be put off by that.

What happened after that did you have to to to the station and make a statement and show the footage? I'm only asking as any previous dealings have just wasted hours of my time between not being able to get in touch the original guard who took the statement, then starting all over again with a second, queuing for an hour for an update etc. I've just given up reporting and am not inclined to do more that just share them as its been a collosal waste of my time. The time I caught two guys braking into a car on my camera 2 came to the house for it but reporting but near misses agressive driving etc. just didn't get attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

oh how I hate the south quays at the Guinness brewery. This evening I was behind a rigid lorry. Cycling down the bus lane when he decides to pull into the bus lane and left hook me, turning into the Guinness brewery. Managed to slow down in time, then indicted right to head over the bridge towards the Phoenix park. Had about 3 cars close pass me, then a van. After a verbal exchange with the van driver, I managed to move right and around the bridge. Really is a horrible stretch from the James Joyce bridge to Heuston. And the occasional parking in the right hand side at the water is perfect for a quick and cheap bike lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

****ing horrendous there, not sure how you're supposed to get over to the right safely. Not sure is it part of the 30km/hr zone, not that it would make a difference to the majority of the drivers who are going well in excess of 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Stark wrote: »
    ****ing horrendous there, not sure how you're supposed to get over to the right safely. Not sure is it part of the 30km/hr zone, not that it would make a difference to the majority of the drivers who are going well in excess of 50.

Yeah it’s horrible alright. It is a 50kph zone - changes up from the 30kph a few hundred meters back. Not that it matters though. Speed limits are routinely ignored. I was a passenger in a taxi a while back and asked him to slow down - naturally he looked at me like I had two heads - but his needle was just short of 80kph

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

In Berlin at the moment, bikes everywhere, at all times of the day. All casual looking cyclists but obviously know what they're doing.

Motorists are quite aggressive and like to do a bit of beeping at each other and accelerate quickly quite a lot, that behaviour seems to be towards themselves. Bike going down the road? No hassle. No beeping, no close pass, no intimidation. Cars keep to themselves.

Obviously I'm not cycling so can't fully experience it but in Dublin you hear nothing but cars speeding up past you even to a red light even when you're in a bike lane, it's just built into their mentality. Constant engine revs.

It can be quite chaotic here, not many pedestrian crossings, lots of junctions without traffic lights, every man for himself. Not a problem.

There's obviously a lot of respect for cyclists, it's bizarre to see from an Irish perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

DaveyDave wrote: »
    In Berlin at the moment, bikes everywhere, at all times of the day. All casual looking cyclists but obviously know what they're doing.

Motorists are quite aggressive and like to do a bit of beeping at each other and accelerate quickly quite a lot, that behaviour seems to be towards themselves. Bike going down the road? No hassle. No beeping, no close pass, no intimidation. Cars keep to themselves.

Obviously I'm not cycling so can't fully experience it but in Dublin you hear nothing but cars speeding up past you even to a red light even when you're in a bike lane, it's just built into their mentality. Constant engine revs.

It can be quite chaotic here, not many pedestrian crossings, lots of junctions without traffic lights, every man for himself. Not a problem.

There's obviously a lot of respect for cyclists, it's bizarre to see from an Irish perspective.
    Not a high viz or helmet on any of the cyclists either! And street lights are noticeably darker.

I must have been in a different part of Berlin but found the pedestrian crossings and drivers fine. Don't think I was waiting for more than a few mins to cross the road. They also seemed to stick to the speed limit when driving from junction to junction on a quiet road. Mad stuff all together.

I cycled around there. It was a weekend so didn't get to experience the rush hour traffic there, but it did seem quite relaxed. I'd injured my foot the night I arrived so could only limp a few metres at a go, so was pretty dependent on the bike for the two days to get me around. Such an ableist mode of transport :p

For some weird reason, traffic in Berlin also stops for amber or red lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,182 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

For some weird reason, traffic in Berlin also stops for amber or red lights.
    Typical Germans, no fun.

They also have an over-zealous culture regarding pedestrians crossing the road against a red light. A friend who lives there told me a young girl was killed by a speeding driver before and all the media reports were suggesting it was her/her parents' fault for crossing against the light. So not all wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

They also have an over-zealous culture regarding pedestrians crossing the road against a red light.

I've seen that when leaving Oktobefest in Munich. Everyone's been drinking all day, yet can still patiently wait for the green man even on an empty road!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

You can be fined for crossing on the red. Its treated as a road traffic offense IIRC.

Same situation in Poland. Anyone I know from Poland sees it as an easy way for police to pocket fines as it's so easy to catch someone out on. Especially if you find a bunch of drunk tourists who are willing to hand over cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Same situation in Poland. Anyone I know from Poland sees it as an easy way for police to pocket fines as it's so easy to catch someone out on. Especially if you find a bunch of drunk tourists who are willing to hand over cash.

Municipal police forces focus on minor infractions. Gardai see RLJing as below them, we need a system like PL.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

ED E wrote: »
    Municipal police forces focus on minor infractions. Gardai see RLJing as below them, we need a system like PL.

The Dublin Agreement, agreed between the controlling parties on Dublin City Council included provision for Street Wardens. Unfortunately I think they're completely powerless to actually implement them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Had an absolutely horrendous close pass coming up to the filling station before junction 3 of the N4 heading to Lucan this evening. Looked like they pulled into the filling station but I got such a shock I didn’t recognise the car. It was a dark hatch back or estate.

Fortunately there was a Garda car just about to pull out of the filling station when I got there. We had a look at the footage on my GoPro but it was too dark and wet to see clearly on the tiny screen. He gave me his details to send the video on. Looks like I have a partial reg in the video, I’ll need to look at it closely on a big screen and the Garda noted the reg number of some cars leaving the petrol station.

He was hoping to nab them then and there in fairness to him.

EDIT: Here is the video for what it's worth, I would be grateful if anyone could help identify the model of car. Looks like some sort of Audi estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

^^^Shocking. Camera lens angle does not reflect how close that is. No attempt to move out to pass you or slow down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think that's the closest I've seen without contact. :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement