Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Not the worst passes or behaviour but certainly not that great either. General lack of care for others using the road, keep in mind these occured on just one 50km spin. The GoPro is mounted on the left of the stem and the wide angle lense makes it seem that they're not as close as they really were...

1. Beeping and shouting at me telling me to use the "cycle lane" while undertaking traffic at speed...
    2. Not attempt to pass safely even with no oncoming traffic whatsoever
    3. Overtaking up a hill and around a blind bend, nearly colliding with oncoming car.
    4. Close pass at speed, no intention of waiting behind to overtake safely.
    5. Fast and close pass on a narrow road - I moved a little over to allow them to go around me (hoping they would slow a little) but they didn't feel like being as courteous as me....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

LpPepper wrote: »
    1. Beeping and shouting at me telling me to use the "cycle lane" while undertaking traffic at speed...

That's the R136 near Tallaght?

Actually really like that road, good wide bus lane all along it, I don't get why the clown in the Toyota was beeping you out of it, did you have an earlier altercation of any sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    That's the R136 near Tallaght?

Actually really like that road, good wide bus lane all along it, I don't get why the clown in the Toyota was beeping you out of it, did you have an earlier altercation of any sort?

Yep it's the road that goes from Jobstown to Lucan. Drivers beeping and close passing for cycling in the bus lane there at that exact spot are pretty frequent. Never happens going the opposite direction. No altercation of any sort previously - just shouting and pointing at the cycle lane...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

LpPepper wrote: »
    Yep it's the road that goes from Jobstown to Lucan. Drivers beeping and close passing for cycling in the bus lane there at that exact spot are pretty frequent. Never happens going the opposite direction. No altercation of any sort previously - just shouting and pointing at the cycle lane...

The irony of people telling you to go in a lane you don't have to as they enter a lane they're not allowed to.

I once had a taxi driver beep at me and start to give out as I was in the bus/cycle lane on Mobhi road heading towards Phibsboro. He insisting I had to use the cycle lane on the path. The traffic was stopped about 100 metres ahead of us and was backed up from quite a way ahead so it was pointless. Anyway, he had a problem with me being in the lane, but signalled to allow a private vehicle into the lane. Clown

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Weepsie wrote: »
    The irony of people telling you to go in a lane you don't have to ...

I thought that law changed again and now the lanes have to be used when provided?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the law itself has not changed since 2012. what the department of transport thinks it means has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

the law itself has not changed since 2012. what the department of transport thinks it means has changed.

I suppose its all about interpretation. Make of it what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Roadhawk wrote: »

Its not really, just a ham fisted attempt by the Dept. to force cyclists onto inadequate cycle lanes.

But you already knew that...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That and the bus lane I was in is also marked as a cycle lane. A lot of people don't seem to grasp this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

What I can't understand is why drivers that are in no way being impacted by a bike that's say 500mm wide feel it necessary to point out where to cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    What I can't understand is why drivers that are in no way being impacted by a bike that's say 500mm wide feel it necessary to point out where to cycle.

Because we don't pay road tax..remember? Its THEIR tax money that's used to build all the bike lanes.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Because we don't pay road tax..remember? Its THEIR tax money that's used to build all the bike lanes.

Oh, silly me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

No one pays road tax :pac: Which is something I've pointed out to drivers that shout it at me on a regular basis, while also saying that I do pay motor tax, just like they do.

No one pays road tax :pac: Which is something I've pointed out to drivers that shout it at me on a regular basis, while also saying that I do pay motor tax, just like they do.

shhhhh. It's a cycling forum joke......:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You know that civil servants and government departments don't get to interpret the law, right - that would be a matter for the Courts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You know that civil servants and government departments don't get to interpret the law, right - that would be a matter for the Courts.

I'd be happy to have a day in court over it but I suspect that either you would never be lifted for it or the paperwork would be too annoying. I wonder could I call the minister to testify.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had another of these debates on facebook earlier with someone who claimed cyclists are arrogant because they don't wear helmets for their own safety.
    and then signed off to go to a rugby match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

I am constantly getting clipped by cars on my way to work I am now sick of it to the point where I don't want to cycle anymore. Yesterday I was approaching lights that were red, I was maybe 10 foot away from car stopped at the lights and this idiot overtakes me clips the side of the bike and nearly knocks me flying. Why she thought of the need to overtake me I don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

stevek93 wrote: »
    I am constantly getting clipped by cars on my way to work I am now sick of it to the point where I don't want to cycle anymore. Yesterday I was approaching lights that were red, I was maybe 10 foot away from car stopped at the lights and this idiot overtakes me clips the side of the bike and nearly knocks me flying. Why she thought of the need to overtake me I don't understand.

It's a bit hard to comment without knowing what the road was like, but the usual tactic if there isn't room for a car to pass is to take "primary position": basically, move out so that they physically can't pass you. If you reckon they have room to overtake, go back into secondary position (arm's length from side of road) and give a wave or something to thank them for their courtesy in not passing when it was unsafe to do so (not that it was their courtesy, but it usually stops people getting irate about you being "in the middle of the road").

I have a scan of an old roadcraft leaflet from the Galway Cycling Campaign which covers some of this stuff. PM me if you want a link.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So sorry to hear that, it seems to be the world is split between those with those with common sense and foresight and those without. I agree with Thomas, I have gotten into the habit of taking the lane at several junctions and, it has to be said, it works. My example is Foxrock church. Cars are terrifying here with their lack of observation. I take the lane from the lights before, problems have since disappeared.
    What you experienced was assault, its a sorry state of affairs when we take a step backwards when that makes the victim step backwards rather than have the guilty step dragged forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

How people cycle has a lot to do with their ultimate safety.
    I've cycled to work in Dublin city centre 5 days a week for 10 years and I've only had one proper scary incident, which was my own fault really.
    I'm not saying how great I am with this (in fact I've put myself at risk by breaking the law of "don't say it out loud"!) but if you choose to examine how you interact with the other traffic around you sometimes you can find things that will keep you safer or less stressed - 'cyclecraft', as mentioned above.
    Of course you can be unlucky and there's no avoiding some things but if you start seeing patterns in the bad things that happen to you on a bike you can take steps to avoid them as much as possible. That may be as simple as choosing different routes, wearing certain clothing or it may be choosing to be more cautious or bold in how you cycle.
    Personally I take my journey handier than I could do. I hang back at certain junctions and around certain types of drivers. That suits me, may not suit all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

This post has been deleted.

Sometimes it gets really annoying, yet responding in any way is a waste, and an enormous risk. Never trust the competence and sanity of other road users, or at least not put too much trust in it. The Alcoholic Anonymous Serenity Prayer could get a cyclist variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I am constantly getting clipped by cars on my way to work

Clipped, as in they actually hit you...constantly? That is strange.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Other than someone hanging out of the passenger side window to slap my backside a few years ago, I've never come into contact with a vehicle/its inhabitants while on a bike.

A few close passes, but probably only one where I really thought I was in particular danger

Having said that there are certain times when it's clear some drivers are simply more impatient and as a consequence more inclined to take risks. Now we are moving towards the holiday season it's hopefully going to calm down a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

CramCycle wrote: »
    My example is Foxrock church. Cars are terrifying here with their lack of observation. I take the lane from the lights before, problems have since disappeared..

I've had some scary moments coming off the cycle from the footpath onto the road with cars driving past and cutting across me to turn left.

I seriously hate that junction.

Someone someday is going to get killed there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I thought that law changed again and now the lanes have to be used when provided?
    Yeah, sure you did. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

How people cycle has a lot to do with their ultimate safety.
    I've cycled to work in Dublin city centre 5 days a week for 10 years and I've only had one proper scary incident, which was my own fault really.
    I'm not saying how great I am with this (in fact I've put myself at risk by breaking the law of "don't say it out loud"!) but if you choose to examine how you interact with the other traffic around you sometimes you can find things that will keep you safer or less stressed - 'cyclecraft', as mentioned above.
    Of course you can be unlucky and there's no avoiding some things but if you start seeing patterns in the bad things that happen to you on a bike you can take steps to avoid them as much as possible. That may be as simple as choosing different routes, wearing certain clothing or it may be choosing to be more cautious or bold in how you cycle.
    Personally I take my journey handier than I could do. I hang back at certain junctions and around certain types of drivers. That suits me, may not suit all.

Hi I'm curious what other tips would you have? I haven't had that bad near misses and i have been commuting into town for last 3 years but I'm thinking it might be just my route (not as bad as others')

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Clipped the wheel of the girl in front of me yesterday, I wobbled towards the centre of the road - I somehow managed to unclip and get my right foot down which stopped me falling. Car behind me swung out to other side of the road - despite that if I hadn't managed to unclip, I would have still ended up underneath him.
    Reminded me why I take the opposite side of the road to overtake cyclists and sit behind them until I have that space. You don't know what's going to happen - even experienced cyclists can make those mistakes / hit sticks or stones etc and end up wobbling.
    Just as well they weren't making a close overtake at the time or I wouldn't be sitting here typing this story. :)

Then this morning, some numbnuts decided to overtake me into oncoming traffic...by oncoming traffic I mean there was one car coming in the other direction. On a quiet road at 10am on a bank holiday Monday...he simply couldn't wait...he was cm's from clipping the other car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Yesterday morning, lots of low cloud and was heading up over the Featherbeds, so had lights on and a high vis top. Very little traffic about, but despite being highly visable to other road users, idiot in a 5 series BMW blasted straight through the roundabout at Ballyboden Rd/Taylors Lane like I wasn't even on it. Luckily I reacted in time and breaked to avoid. Just got a slack jawed response...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement