Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

scaryfairy wrote: »
    Hi I'm curious what other tips would you have? I haven't had that bad near misses and i have been commuting into town for last 3 years but I'm thinking it might be just my route (not as bad as others')

I'm lucky with my choice of routes too to be honest, some routes just throw trouble your way. I'd say the biggest thing for me is being predictable to other traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

You always have to allow for numpties. I had some spanner trying to just get his nose ahead of me without indicating left so that he could turn across me at the last instance. I knew he was thinking that, I also knew he wasn't indicating.

With about 5 or 10 meters to go, he just gets his nose in front and flicks on the indicator. I roar at him, just to let him know I would be very displeased with the maneuver. Problem solved, you really have to preempt this type of behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You always have to allow for numpties. I had some spanner trying to just get his nose ahead of me without indicating left so that he could turn across me at the last instance. I knew he was thinking that, I also knew he wasn't indicating.

With about 5 or 10 meters to go, he just gets his nose in front and flicks on the indicator. I roar at him, just to let him know I would be very displeased with the maneuver. Problem solved, you really have to preempt this type of behavior.

People indicating AS they turn is my biggest annoyance. Boils the blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

I had a near miss myself over the weekend...I was on the Porterstown road behind 2 cyclists, one male and one female. As I approached a small incline the male who was already ahead peddled on up the road without bother but the female slowed considerably. I waited patiently behind her until it was safe to overtake at the top of the hill...I over took the first cyclist without bother (giving her the 1.5) and approached the male cyclist...There was no oncoming traffic so i indicated, gave him the 1.5 and when i was roughly 10 meters from him, he suddenly decided to turn across the road to enter the gateway of Luttrellstown Golf Club without indication or a look over his shoulder (aboviously waiting for the female)...he wasn't phased in the slightest that I was about a foot away from him after giving the ABS a full practical test.

To be absolutely honest it was my closest close call and I nearly crapped myself...heart was racing for at least 20mins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

ED E wrote: »
    People indicating AS they turn is my biggest annoyance. Boils the blood.

It's the absolute definition of bone selfishness.
    Roadhawk wrote: »
    I had a near miss myself over the weekend...I was on the Porterstown road behind 2 cyclists, one male and one female. As I approached a small incline the male who was already ahead peddled on up the road without bother but the female slowed considerably. I waited patiently behind her until it was safe to overtake at the top of the hill...I over took the first cyclist without bother (giving her the 1.5) and approached the male cyclist...There was no oncoming traffic so i indicated, gave him the 1.5 and when i was roughly 10 meters from him, he suddenly decided to turn across the road to enter the gateway of Luttrellstown Golf Club without indication or a look over his shoulder (aboviously waiting for the female)...he wasn't phased in the slightest that I was about a foot away from him after giving the ABS a full practical test.

To be absolutely honest it was my closest close call and I nearly crapped myself...heart was racing for at least 20mins!

Fair play to you on the 1.5!

• Advertisement

I was about a foot away from him after giving the ABS a full practical test.

How fast were you going? Sounds like you were accelerating pretty hard there?..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I see similar all the time from cyclists, motorists and even pedestrians who sprint out without warning. It is a terrifying thing to witness as I found time almost slows as you mind prepares you for something you should not see. They have been lucky so far.

I have found people who do this, never seem to be that phased by it either.

Chuchote wrote: »

Fair play to you on the 1.5!

Thanks but in this case it would have been pointless...

Over 10m, he was probably doing sub 30kmph to stop so quickly. The only other way to stop so quick with no warning where had he reverie some indication or inclination that it would happen and was ready.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Over 10m, he was probably doing sub 30kmph to stop so quickly. The only other way to stop so quick with no warning where had he reverie some indication or inclination that it would happen and was ready.

Correction, under 45kmph, would be an acceptable guess if giving no time for thinking it through.

• Advertisement

Correction, under 45kmph, would be an acceptable guess if giving no time for thinking it through.

I had actually just come to 50-55 kmph so i was in the danger zone had i have hit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

According to the interweb - http://www.driveandstayalive.com/stopping-distances/ - .....

At 20mph it takes 20 ft to react and 20ft to stop. In the new money that's 13m to stop from 32kph. So I'd guess around 30kph

Metric version here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/general-rules-techniques-and-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158#rule126

I had actually just come to 50-55 kmph so i was in the danger zone had i have hit him.
    According to the interweb - http://www.driveandstayalive.com/stopping-distances/ - .....

At 20mph it takes 20 ft to react and 20ft to stop. In the new money that's 13m to stop from 32kph. So I'd guess around 30kph

Metric version here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/general-rules-techniques-and-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158#rule126

So who's telling the truth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Thanks but in this case it would have been pointless...

Sorry, I thought you said you did pass leaving a 1.5m gap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

I was struck by a car in Dublin this evening. I was travelling straight and as I went through a junction a driver coming from the opposite direction turned right and drove into my back wheel. The driver braked just before the car struck me so it wasn't a violent collision. The bike was knocked over sideways and I jumped clear, landing on my feet.

Driver pulled in and we exchanged details. There was a squad car passing just afterwards and the Guards pulled in and took information from both of us. A passing cyclist who witnessed the collision gave a statement to the Guards too. Driver was totally without remorse and repeatedly said "It wasn't my fault". The worrying thing was that the driver genuinely seemed to believe this, even though they had just driven their car into oncoming traffic and struck someone.

Anyway, thankfully I was unhurt but it was a stark reminder of how vulnerable we are when we cycle, and how we just cannot expect that drivers are looking out for us. I was wearing a full high vis jacket and it was still broad daylight! The driver either wasn't paying attention or simply wasn't in control of the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Moflojo wrote: »
    I was struck by a car in Dublin this evening. I was travelling straight and as I went through a junction a driver coming from the opposite direction turned right and drove into my back wheel. The driver braked just before the car struck me so it wasn't a violent collision. The bike was knocked over sideways and I jumped clear, landing on my feet.

Driver pulled in and we exchanged details. There was a squad car passing just afterwards and the Guards pulled in and took information from both of us. A passing cyclist who witnessed the collision gave a statement to the Guards too. Driver was totally without remorse and repeatedly said "It wasn't my fault". The worrying thing was that the driver genuinely seemed to believe this, even though they had just driven their car into oncoming traffic and struck someone.

Anyway, thankfully I was unhurt but it was a stark reminder of how vulnerable we are when we cycle, and how we just cannot expect that drivers are looking out for us. I was wearing a full high vis jacket and it was still broad daylight! The driver either wasn't paying attention or simply wasn't in control of the vehicle.

Scary stuff to think that they believed they weren't in the wrong. Hope you're okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Did the driver give any reason as to why he/she felt it "wasn't my fault"?

07Lapierre wrote: »

Because they don't even pay road tax Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Because they don't even pay road tax Joe!

This is why we need 6' wide registration plates back and front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

There was another car, in front of the car that struck me, that also pulled right across my path moments before the second car struck me. I was only about 10 metres from the junction when the first car pulled across and I had to brake to avoid t-boning it. It's a dangerous junction where drivers frequently pull right across me so I'm always cautious as I approach it. I had been eyeballing the first driver in expectation that they might pull across me so I was prepared for it. I didn't think for a second that the second driver was going to go for it too!

The driver who struck me was attempting to blame the first driver for causing the collision. I think the logic was that because the first car had pulled across me too, it wasn't his fault that he was just following the first car. He was essentially admitting that he wasn't watching out for other traffic, he was just blindly following the driver in front (who had already carried out a dangerous manoeuvre by pulling across me).

I'm going to get on to the council tomorrow and ask that a red filter light is installed at the junction because these near misses are quite frequent. There is a green filter light but right-turning traffic also gets a full green light which results in these risky right turns. Pedestrians are in danger at the junction because the right-turning traffic comes out at the junction from an unexpected angle. The junction is at the Big Tree for anyone familiar with the area.

• Advertisement

There was another car, in front of the car that struck me, that also pulled right across my path moments before the second car struck me. I was only about 10 metres from the junction when the first car pulled across and I had to brake to avoid t-boning it. It's a dangerous junction where drivers frequently pull right across me so I'm always cautious as I approach it. I had been eyeballing the first driver in expectation that they might pull across me so I was prepared for it. I didn't think for a second that the second driver was going to go for it too!

The driver who struck me was attempting to blame the first driver for causing the collision. I think the logic was that because the first car had pulled across me too, it wasn't his fault that he was just following the first car. He was essentially admitting that he wasn't watching out for other traffic, he was just blindly following the driver in front (who had already carried out a dangerous manoeuvre by pulling across me).

I'm going to get on to the council tomorrow and ask that a red filter light is installed at the junction because these near misses are quite frequent. There is a green filter light but right-turning traffic also gets a full green light which results in these risky right turns. Pedestrians are in danger at the junction because the right-turning traffic comes out at the junction from an unexpected angle. The junction is at the Big Tree for anyone familiar with the area.

I'd lodge a complaint. Really you have some idiot driving without a sense of responsibility or due care for other road users. I would do whatever I could to remove him from the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

There is a green filter light but right-turning traffic also gets a full green light which results in these risky right turns. Pedestrians are in danger at the junction because the right-turning traffic comes out at the junction from an unexpected angle. The junction is at the Big Tree for anyone familiar with the area.

Same problem happens to me going through donnybrook after the bridge past the rugby ground. I have a green light to go straight through and cars from the opposite direction turning right also have a green light.

They really should have a flashing amber light.

Am always wary when there are no motorists travelling in the same direction as me.

Had similar incident happen to me there, first car turned car followed immediately by another right which almost hit me.

Hope you're OK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

This type of incident is all too common. I have at least 4 junctions on my commute where I have right turning traffic cutting across me regularly. I'm of the mind that drivers are focussed on the line of cars coming towards them and watching that first gap appear so they can go for it. If they could even contemplate that there might be a bike in that gap you might have a chance but it never enters the head of some of them.

I try to keep myself as tall as possible so they might see my head above the car line but most of them are completely oblivious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I was wearing a full high vis jacket and it was still broad daylight! The driver either wasn't paying attention or simply wasn't in control of the vehicle.

Yes, but were you wearing a helmet?

Hope you are ok, and you should absolutely press charges based on your follow up post.

The driver who struck me was attempting to blame the first driver for causing the collision.

That's a new level of stupid really. This person should absolutely not be in command of a vehicle of any type.

Please follow this up with the Gardaí before he puts somebody in an early grave.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's another example of drivers just thinking "ah sure, the car in front has done it so must be okay" that we see with amber lights every day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That sounds just like how I was hit last year at a cross roads. Like you, the driver hit my back wheel and the bike was flattened. I landed on my feet. Apparently no injury...then about 2hrs later I had severe and rapid shooting pains in both arm, stiff neck and a sore knee. 10mths later I am still not 100% and the prognosis is for a further 12mths of symptoms. Driver was very apologetic etc until the Garda got involved and despite accepting responsibility at the time, told the Garda I broke the red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was struck by a car in Dublin this evening.

Hey now, this thread is about near misses, not actual strikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Holy sh1t......that was so close.....so lucky not to get injured.

Surely some can identify the company the lorry belongs to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I had my first close pass in ages this morning, been reading this thread thinking how lucky I've been.

On the R136 between Jobstown and Lucan coming up to the Leisure Centre, coming from Tallaght, I was in the 24 hour bus lane doing about 35 kph when a black golf passed me within inches at serious speed.

I'd forgotten how much of a fright it can give you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement