Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Not as dramatic as some of the near misses here but still incredibly irritating. I was waiting at the lights in a queue of bikes on the cycle path at the Barge pub this morning heading east towards Leeson street. The usual impatient cyclists arrived and skipped the queue by waiting on the wrong side of the path alongside those of us who were queuing. When the lights went green we set off across the road and down the path at the hilton. At some point near the luas bridge one of the cyclists who skipped the queue starts trying to pull in on top of me and starts roaring at me about undertaking him. When I raised the fact that he'd skipped the queue by going on the wrong side of the path at the lights he started arguing that he was entitled to do this and that if I wanted to wait that was my business

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Not as dramatic as some of the near misses here but still incredibly irritating. I was waiting at the lights in a queue of bikes on the cycle path at the Barge pub this morning heading east towards Leeson street. The usual impatient cyclists arrived and skipped the queue by waiting on the wrong side of the path alongside those of us who were queuing. When the lights went green we set off across the road and down the path at the hilton. At some point near the luas bridge one of the cyclists who skipped the queue starts trying to pull in on top of me and starts roaring at me about undertaking him. When I raised the fact that he'd skipped the queue by going on the wrong side of the path at the lights he started arguing that he was entitled to do this and that if I wanted to wait that was my business

So in other words you were just holding your line....?

The thing is - once people start shouting and roaring as that guy did, then right and wrong become an irrelevance....when he becomes the verbal aggressor like that, chances as are he has no interest in finding out he's in the wrong, and will ignore that fact whens its put to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Tombo2001 wrote: »

The thing is - once people start shouting and roaring as that guy did, then right and wrong become an irrelevance....when he becomes the verbal aggressor like that, chances as are he has no interest in finding out he's in the wrong, and will ignore that fact whens its put to him.

One of the reasons I enjoy cycling is that it gets rid of the stress of the day. I can't imagine picking fights with other road users, it'd just stress me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Pretty much. He flew off on the wrong side again then and went around that blind corner into the part where the cycle path merges with the footpath at speed. From now on I'm not talking to anyone between home and work 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

F***ing queue skippers are the worst, every morning the same people I've overtaken breeze through the red light or go just past the stop line to position themselves at the front of the queue only to be overtaken immediately. It's so irritating! I've yet to say it to anyone, so far I've just settled for letting my blood boil as I overtake again. Let a roar at someone this morning breezing through a left turn onto the main road without even looking, I could see it happening but felt it was worth letting a shout anyway. So many people completely oblivious on the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The way this thread has evolved I think this belongs here:

WHY FACTS DON’T CHANGE OUR MINDS
    http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/27/why-facts-dont-change-our-minds

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Had a Paddy Wagon coach come within about 6 inches of my right handlebar this morning. Going along the north quays on the IFSC block just before that metal arch thing over the road just before the CHQ building. I hadn't undertaken him or anything he was a good distance (at least 6 cars) behind me leaving the traffic lights at the Custom House but he came right in on top of me. Very scary, any wobble from me and I'd have hit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

What a dick!! All about him. I reckon he wouldn't give a crap about cyclists if he was driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Had a Paddy Wagon coach come within about 6 inches of my right handlebar this morning. Going along the north quays on the IFSC block just before that metal arch thing over the road just before the CHQ building. I hadn't undertaken him or anything he was a good distance (at least 6 cars) behind me leaving the traffic lights at the Custom House but he came right in on top of me. Very scary, any wobble from me and I'd have hit him.

Report it, from time/location they should be able to identify the bus/driver. Not on for professional drivers to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

amcalester wrote: »
    I had my first close pass in ages this morning, been reading this thread thinking how lucky I've been.

On the R136 between Jobstown and Lucan coming up to the Leisure Centre, coming from Tallaght, I was in the 24 hour bus lane doing about 35 kph when a black golf passed me within inches at serious speed.

I'd forgotten how much of a fright it can give you.

That particular stretch of bus lane is terrible for that. I haven't have it happen at the leisure centre but always just past the luas lines towards Roadstone. Some drivers take a serious issue to anyone not using the off road "cycle path" which is always littered in glass and debris and using it means total loss of priority at some junctions.

Hate that stretch of road for that very reason.

• Advertisement

LpPepper wrote: »
    That particular stretch of bus lane is terrible for that. I haven't have it happen at the leisure centre but always just past the luas lines towards Roadstone. Some drivers take a serious issue to anyone not using the off road "cycle path" which is always littered in glass and debris and using it means total loss of priority at some junctions.

I turn off into Citywest at the Luas tracks so not familiar with the road beyond that but you're right about the cycle lane being covered in glass.

My last near miss was actually at the turn for leisure centre, I was using the cycle lane and nearly got left hooked by a motorist, so now I always use the bus lane.

its such a shame that the lane has so much glass on it, it's pretty much unusable, I got 3 punctures in 4 days coming up to the Luas tracks while using the cycle lane, don't use it anymore at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

LpPepper wrote: »

I was literally about to say that...Why wasn't the extensive infrastructure being used...If its just a case of glass/litter on the track either go around it or log it on fixmystreet.ie...much safer than having a near miss.

Roadhawk wrote: »
    I was literally about to say that...Why wasn't the extensive infrastructure being used...If its just a case of glass/litter on the track either go around it or log it on fixmystreet.ie...much safer than having a near miss.

Well it's not just a case of glass/litter which by the way usually covers an extensive amount of the path in both directions - I'd rather use the bus lane/road as I'm fully entitled to do than leave myself open to constant punctures and to have to consistently scan the path ahead and swerve around glass - often the glass covers the full width and it's impossible to go around, meaning I would have to come to a complete stop, dismount and lift the bike...

The other issue is loss of priority at junctions - once past Roadstone heading towards Lucan, anyone using the "cycle path" is met with crossing lights at every single roundabout - there are many on the road, meaning you have to nearly come to a complete stop to check if clear or stop and press the button if there is traffic.

If I just stay on the road in the bus lane I a)have much less chance of a puncture, b)have same priority as other road users at junctions and c) am more visible to others at junctions so chances of being left hooked are less likely.

I'd happily use it once past the Leisure Centre but there's always glass at random places, every day new broken glass. The council are pretty quick at cleaning it in fairness but there's always fresh glass further up or back.

The bus lane is also a sign-posted Bus/Cycle lane so I'll continue to use it as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Fair enough...just a shame to see the infrastructure go used and abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

That's what happens when something isn't fit for purpose unfortunately.

Well that'll be the case when it's poorly designed, poorly maintained and more of a hassle for it's users than other means like the bus lane

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Regardless of opinions on the matter, disobeying one law or perceived law, gives no one carte blanche to threaten another person with death. As has been discussed (and pointed out), said infrastructure is not up to standard, leave the point there. Any questions, please PM me, do not discuss in thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Responses to fixmystreet.ie issues is very spotty - sometimes Councils respond very quickly and promptly, and other times, possibly for the same Council, issues are just ignored.

It's also really bizarre that fixmystreet has an excellent app - "See it! Say it!" - for reporting graffiti and rubbish dumping, but you can't use it for potholes, though I think you can report bad road surfaces on the fixmystreet website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I found fixmystreet to be generally good - don't use the app - we had a raised manhole in the cycle lane near where I live, it was dangerous. I and a neighbor reported it and it was addressed. Have also noticed the council have marked the cycle lane for fixing - there's various parts that are bad. Whether it was reported or not I don't know. Other things like hedges overgrowing and blocking paths, forcing people on to the cycle lane where they run beside each other, have generally been addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

micar wrote: »
    Holy sh1t......that was so close.....so lucky not to get injured.

Surely some can identify the company the lorry belongs to.

Injured? no way, I'm sure the driver was wearing a seat belt! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Coming in this morning down the malahide road at junction of Donnycarney church. Taxi in lane beside me decided that he'd try fit through the smallest gap to go around a car waiting to get into lane after coming through lights.

He proceeds to push me into the kerb and only I stopped, he would have squashed me. Caught up with him and politiely knock on his window and say "You squashed me into the kerb, you should keep an eye on your mirrors"

His response, "you must have gone through the lights you pr*ck" :rolleyes:

No talking to stupid people...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

zefer wrote: »
    you must have gone through the lights
    well, technically he was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

amcalester wrote: »
    The council are pretty quick at cleaning it in fairness

That made me laugh, it's the exact opposite in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Have to say that I'm not a fan of that lane at rush hour. Far too many cyclists of mixed ability and very limited opportunities to overtake if someone's a bit slower than your normal pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

P_1 wrote: »
    Have to say that I'm not a fan of that lane at rush hour. Far too many cyclists of mixed ability and very limited opportunities to overtake if someone's a bit slower than your normal pace.

But cyclists do come with mixed ability and shouldn't all God's Children have a Place in the Choir! When I'm driving, I sometimes have to slow from my normal pace when I meet a bin lorry, tractor or sometimes a cyclist. Why should cycling be any different at busy times? C'est la vie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

On my commute home yesterday cycling up kimmage road lower heading out of the city and the cars are backed up as always - 3 cyclists in front of me travelling around 25kmh. I seen a van indicating to go into one of the petrol stations, I could see it blinking for about 5 seconds or so before he made a move into the station and into a cyclist who looked like he got a bit of a scare but didn't want help.

Both were to blame to be honest, the cyclist for not avoiding the accident by letting the van in (humans are squishy, there is no point in trying to fight a metal object - even if you're in the right) and the van for not looking what he was doing (and having two dogs bark like fook in his cabin probably distracting him)

Anyway, if it was you and you're reading this - you're a lucky man, but next time it might be wise to slow down and let the car through, it might slow you down but it'll hurt less

jameshayes wrote: »
    Both were to blame to be honest, the cyclist for not avoiding the accident by letting the van in (humans are squishy, there is no point in trying to fight a metal object - even if you're in the right) and the van for not looking what he was doing (and having two dogs bark like fook in his cabin probably distracting him)
    did the cyclist attempt to undertake the van, or did the van overtake and swing left?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Are you sure the cyclist knew that the van was actually going to attempt to drive through him into the petrol station?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement