Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Is there a difference between FixMyStreet and FixYourStreet? I just checked and DLR, Fingal, and SDCC all link to FixYourStreet.

FixYourStreet was set up by SDCC and they now run it on behalf of Coucils around the country.
    FixMyStreet is privately run by MyGov who also do the KildareStreet.com site.

I have reported potholes to both of them and DCC before but can never remember which is more effective. One of them used to send reminders asking if the problem had been solved but none post notices that the Council have actually done anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

FixYourStreet was set up by SDCC and they now run it on behalf of Coucils around the country.
    FixMyStreet is privately run by MyGov who also do the KildareStreet.com site.

I have reported potholes to both of them and DCC before but can never remember which is more effective. One of them used to send reminders asking if the problem had been solved but none post notices that the Council have actually done anything.

It's up to the Council to provide updates on each individual issue. Most don't bother, but sometimes I get very detailed updates from DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Had a close one this morning on Harold's Cross Bridge Northbound:

Approaching the bridge and lights go amber but car behind has a different idea - I looked around at them 2-3 times to deter them from blasting through but they went around me and did anyway, only to look like a complete prat and then sit in the junction and start reversing back towards the pedestrian crossing. Total Muppet....

Then on way home a close pass by someone drifting towards the cycle lane - not the worst but way too close for comfort:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

LpPepper wrote: »
    Had a close one this morning on Harold's Cross Bridge Northbound

One of the closest encounters I've ever had was here about 2 years ago in a similar situation. It was quiet enough traffic-wise and the light went red as I approached. I was in the kerbside cycle track, and as I reached the (very) red light, I went to move right into the advanced stop box. I stupidly didnt do a shoulder check because the light was red, but a white van decided to blow through the lights, missing me by inches. He had sped up and would have hit me at a ridiculous speed, he wouldn't have anticipated me moving out. He was so late that cars in both directions on the canal had entered the junction and luckily stopped in time. My heartrate stayed up for about 3hrs afterwards.
    Then on way home a close pass by someone drifting towards the cycle lane - not the worst but way too close for comfort:

Is that a gopro? I've found with wider angle lenses if I re-watch a close pass back later it always seems not as bad as when it happened, due to the angle.

Danbo! wrote: »
    One of the closest encounters I've ever had was here about 2 years ago in a similar situation. It was quiet enough traffic-wise and the light went red as I approached. I was in the kerbside cycle track, and as I reached the (very) red light, I went to move right into the advanced stop box. I stupidly didnt do a shoulder check because the light was red, but a white van decided to blow through the lights, missing me by inches. He had sped up and would have hit me at a ridiculous speed, he wouldn't have anticipated me moving out. He was so late that cars in both directions on the canal had entered the junction and luckily stopped in time. My heartrate stayed up for about 3hrs afterwards.

Is that a gopro? I've found with wider angle lenses if I re-watch a close pass back later it always seems not as bad as when it happened, due to the angle.

Yep had similar happen last year when I was in the left-side cycle lane, car nearly took me out...

Yes it's a GoPro Hero 2014 (base model). Wide angle definitely makes it appear further away then what it was...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

At the Sally Bridge around three today. Someone on a bike had come up ahead of the traffic and was sitting in the middle of the road, looking as if positioned to turn right. A car came swerving around, and the driver actually drove at the cyclist before swerving out of the way and around the corner with a drama-queeny howl of the horn. Lights changed and the cyclist went straight ahead; wasn't clear if this was the original intention or if it was the scare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Yes it's a GoPro Hero 2014 (base model). Wide angle definitely makes it appear further away then what it was...

It is always a good idea to look at the road markings when watching a video like this since it can make it easier to judge the distances involved. You can see that the car only clears the cycle lane by a few inches (less than a tyre width) and gives FAR more space to the stationary cars on the other side of the road.

This is a fairly common sort of driving in my experience. This driver wants to stay in the middle of 'their' lane and they consider this to be from the kerb to the centre line ignoring the cycle lane completely. If they encounter a cyclist they will move out the bare minimum to skim past. I've been passed by drivers that maintain their position in the centre of our side of the road even though this means passing me with literally centimetres of space when there was well over a metre between them and the cars on the far side.

HivemindXX wrote: »
    It is always a good idea to look at the road markings when watching a video like this since it can make it easier to judge the distances involved. You can see that the car only clears the cycle lane by a few inches (less than a tyre width) and gives FAR more space to the stationary cars on the other side of the road.

This is a fairly common sort of driving in my experience. This driver wants to stay in the middle of 'their' lane and they consider this to be from the kerb to the centre line ignoring the cycle lane completely. If they encounter a cyclist they will move out the bare minimum to skim past. I've been passed by drivers that maintain their position in the centre of our side of the road even though this means passing me with literally centimetres of space when there was well over a metre between them and the cars on the far side.

One reason that bollard-protected or planter-protected cycle lanes are such a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Whoosh.. close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

clod71 wrote: »
    the cyclists reputation
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

On the school run the other day we going through a junction. I was just behind my youngest fella when a lady pedestrian launched herself off the footpath into our trajectory. We weren't there by surprise. We'd followed a stream of cars through the junction, but the lady just decided to leap out as we were passing.

My young lad grabbed both brakes and shuddered to an emergency stop as I was still trying to call "Look out!". The lady blithely continued on her way without even a turn of her head in acknowledgement of our (very close) presence. I suspect she was fiddling with her phone by that stage.

I complemented my son on his fast reactions and said that he should scan the footpaths for potential 'leapers' because they can jump out at any moment, especially when you are least expecting it.
    In a sort of resigned fashion he just said: "I know, Dad. I know."
    He's seven.

check_six wrote: »
    On the school run the other day we going through a junction. I was just behind my youngest fella when a lady pedestrian launched herself off the footpath into our trajectory. We weren't there by surprise. We'd followed a stream of cars through the junction, but the lady just decided to leap out as we were passing.

My young lad grabbed both brakes and shuddered to an emergency stop as I was still trying to call "Look out!". The lady blithely continued on her way without even a turn of her head in acknowledgement of our (very close) presence. I suspect she was fiddling with her phone by that stage.

I complemented my son on his fast reactions and said that he should scan the footpaths for potential 'leapers' because they can jump out at any moment, especially when you are least expecting it.
    In a sort of resigned fashion he just said: "I know, Dad. I know."
    He's seven.

He has more road awareness than most, fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

HivemindXX wrote: »

If the Garda took on a campaign like West Midlands Police, Edinburgh Police and now PSNI too this is exactly the sort of issue they could pull motorists aside and drum into them. These police campaigns start with education and then if that doesn't work penalties follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

this is exactly the sort of issue they could pull motorists aside and drum into them.
    Yeah, with sticks.

Yeah, with sticks.

Or with road redesign. If a few planters could solve it - keep the parkers out, make the drivers see them as the edge of the road, even, who knows, make the leapers aware - wouldn't that be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

https://www.facebook.com/bikecomesfirst/videos/1882114922032410/

This is really horrific and hopefully the lunatic driver will end up, not just in court, but in jail.

Two thoughts:
    1. Why is it that every time I drive on the M50, commercial van drivers seem to think they have to be in the outside lane doing at least 20kph over the limit.
    2. Taking the lane is a concept known to a minority of cyclists and to a far smaller minority of motorists. Even before seeing that video, I wouldn't have had the nerve to take the lane as the guy in the video did knowing that it would almost certainly be wrongly interpreted by drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

CramCycle wrote: »
    Interestingly, I have found that after a few years, you can almost see it coming. I know when the majority of cars are going to turn without indication, or swerve or do some other stupid sh1t. Not always, but alot of the time. Doesn't shift the onus in anyway, just a comment on the subtle sensory cues people develop towards certain behaviours over time.

Me too...can and have spotted cars that I just felt would turn left without indicating or pull into the kerb (happened yesterday) or a truck that was in the straight ahead lane but I felt was going to go left (yesterday too) and it did, coming into the cycle lane and almost squeezing me into kerb (I was already commited to the turn so backing off wound have been more dangerous) As luck had it the traffic cop vehicle was around the corner and I stopped. Said what just happened and pointed out the vehicle. The said they would have a word. I added I had video of it and they asked for me to drop it into Blackrock. I reviewed it last night and it was all caught on the new fly6. Quite scary to see the truck looming behind, no indicator, coming alongside in straight ahead lane and then dropping into the left lane, no indication and into the cycle lane... Then trying to edit it for just that section of video, I xxxxxx deleted it😖. The main thing is it was just a near miss ...Does anyone know how or if I can retrieve the deleted file fom the memory card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

This is really horrific and hopefully the lunatic driver will end up, not just in court, but in jail.

Two thoughts:
    1. Why is it that every time I drive on the M50, commercial van drivers seem to think they have to be in the outside lane doing at least 20kph over the limit.
    2. Taking the lane is a concept known to a minority of cyclists and to a far smaller minority of motorists. Even before seeing that video, I wouldn't have had the nerve to take the lane as the guy in the video did knowing that it would almost certainly be wrongly interpreted by drivers.

Was just about to post this. I wouldn't let this phase you from taking the lane at all. For every lunatic like this, you'll meet thousands of normal everyday drivers, well hopefully none of us meet someone that demented. Thing is, if you don't take the lane when you need to, you'll get many more "ignorant" close passes

That can guy clearly signalled his intent to be a raging psycho, in which case you need to find any way to let them pass where possible, which may mean "giving back the lane". I mean I don't think if I was in that situation would I ever have expected such an intentional swipe at all, but from the comfort of my couch with hindsight, I'd rather take the lesser of the two risks. Definitely a lesson to be learned from watching*

Not always possible I know, but I'd rather take the lane, and give it up in a rare situation like this, than leave myself vulnerable for every pass.

*im doing my best to make it sound like I'm not blaming the cyclist or appear like I would have done any better to even manage to stay upright, but I can't get my point across without sounding like I am. Hmm. Long week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Then trying to edit it for just that section of video, I xxxxxx deleted it😖. The main thing is it was just a near miss ...Does anyone know how or if I can retrieve the deleted file fom the memory card?

Yes.

There are plenty of tools out there. Just google something like "recover photos from memory card"

Me too...can and have spotted cars that I just felt would turn left without indicating or pull into the kerb (happened yesterday) or a truck that was in the straight ahead lane but I felt was going to go left (yesterday too) and it did, coming into the cycle lane and almost squeezing me into kerb (I was already commited to the turn so backing off wound have been more dangerous) As luck had it the traffic cop vehicle was around the corner and I stopped. Said what just happened and pointed out the vehicle. The said they would have a word. I added I had video of it and they asked for me to drop it into Blackrock. I reviewed it last night and it was all caught on the new fly6. Quite scary to see the truck looming behind, no indicator, coming alongside in straight ahead lane and then dropping into the left lane, no indication and into the cycle lane... Then trying to edit it for just that section of video, I xxxxxx deleted it😖. The main thing is it was just a near miss ...Does anyone know how or if I can retrieve the deleted file fom the memory card?

No, but - ciall ceannaithe - in future copy the file onto your computer and edit that copy, and burn it to a CD for the Gardaí, and say you have the full file too if it's needed (also keep a copy of the full file).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Chuchote wrote: »
    in future copy the file onto your computer and edit that copy,

I just returned to mention that. If only because it is much faster to edit a file on a PC directly, than working on one in a memory card or usb stick. Even watching a file from a memory card can be painful..

Chuchote wrote: »
    No, but - ciall ceannaithe - in future copy the file onto your computer and edit that copy, and burn it to a CD for the Gardaí, and say you have the full file too if it's needed (also keep a copy of the full file).

That's what I was doing but I accidentally deleted it. What's with the strange language ?? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'ciall ceannaithe' is 'Kaisr Sose' in irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

That's what I was doing but I accidentally deleted it. What's with the strange language ?? :D

I have occasionally accidentally deleted a long email, I was in the process of writing without it having saved in drafts and I used to be really frustrated that it wouldn't turn up in the recycle bin!

Sometimes Irish is very long-winded but "ciall ceannaithe" is an example of where it's probably pithier than the English Literally it's "sense bought" or "lesson learned" or I suppose "finding out the hard way"

At least you can type it on Boards. I tried using an Irish expression with a "fada" the other day and it emerged as a question mark.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Two thoughts:

Reply from the company here:
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1026938860774804&id=469187343216628

Tl;dr driver fired, everyone is very sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

5uspect wrote: »

I wouldn't be happy until this psycho sees the inside of a cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

That's horrendous, at the very least it's dangerous driving/wreckless endangerment. He deserved to lose his job and hopfeully a long suspension, if not off the road completely. If there was a fence or a wall on that cyclists left he'd be lucky to be alive.

Thanks all,

This Boards Channel 410 is so informative

Ciall Ceannaithe 😀

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I certainly hope that the police are doing something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

5uspect wrote: »

If the letter is genuine, then fair play. To me at least it reads a little more than an ass saving PR stunt so they won't lose clients as advised by a PR firm of some description.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement