Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If the Garda took on a campaign like West Midlands Police, Edinburgh Police and now PSNI too this is exactly the sort of issue they could pull motorists aside and drum into them. These police campaigns start with education and then if that doesn't work penalties follow.

The Houston Police Department in Texas are on Facebook using an electronic device to measure the passing space given to an undercover cyclist and ticketing drivers when too close. If it can be done in beer-swilling gun-swinging redneck country, it can be done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

The Houston Police Department in Texas are on Facebook using an electronic device to measure the passing space given to an undercover cyclist and ticketing drivers when too close. If it can be done in beer-swilling gun-swinging redneck country, it can be done here.

Too be fair all you need to get into the irish police force is a strong set of lungs, because all you'll be doing is blowing into breathalyzers while sitting on your hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

TonyStark wrote: »
    If the letter is genuine, then fair play. To me at least it reads a little more than an ass saving PR stunt so they won't lose clients as advised by a PR firm of some description.

Doesn't read like that to me - it reads as a genuinely shocked response by a fellow-cyclist.

Screen shot attached.

416623.png

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

Almost got hit today. Outside blackrock college on rock road. Heading towards city. I was in the cycle lane and some guy comes within a few inches of me. It looks like he swerved round a car that was travelling at the speed limit, round that car, into the bus lane and then into the cycle lane narrowly missing me. Drives off at speed in and out of traffic and then a driving within a few feet of cars in front while driving up the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

The sensor is something Phil Skelton has mentioned alright as part of his 1.5 campaign but pending its arrival, there's nothing to stop the Garda from taking a leaf out of the neighbouring police services' book and getting with the education and enforcement plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Another near miss today on the N81 just before Jobstown. Driver overtook me on a bend with an ambulance (flashing lights and all) coming the other way. Bloody nearly took me out:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Crazy stuff. I doubt that car got past both lights at Jobstown Inn/Kilinarden(Knockmore) without having to stop. I had two of these last week too-one as always near Lamb Doyle's (offending motorist stopped at Marlay lights had two young children on board - yet was driving like he had no responsibility to anyone) and one near my home in Stepaside, when I was over taken before a bend, going down a hill, with oncoming traffic.
    While not a near cycling miss - also at Lambs Cross, when driving last week, I stopped for a red light. A VW jeep behind me, with only one working headlamp, also slowed, and then saw nothing was coming through the cross and gunned it, overtaking me at the junction (on the right turning lane) and going through the cross on red at speed towards L Doyle's as traffic heading through on green was just starting to move off..all for a few seconds of precious time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

LpPepper wrote: »
    Another near miss today on the N81 just before Jobstown. Driver overtook me on a bend with an ambulance (flashing lights and all) coming the other way. Bloody nearly took me out:

Such a wonderful gesture too from the local council to take all that safe hard-shoulder space on the left, make a high kerbed path out of it, and then deliberately cobble it so neither man nor beast nor bike nor buggy can use it.
    :rolleyes:

Couldn't have been any stupider if they'd put a UFC octagon around that stretch of road and marketed a bikes v cars fight to the death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Thud

LpPepper wrote: »

Do report these? Debating with myself on doing likewise with a similar incident.

Thud wrote: »
    Do report these? Debating with myself on doing likewise with a similar incident.

No generally not. I did report a case about 2 years ago whereby a driver turning right at a junction suddenly stopped and reversed mid turn over my back wheel and then drove off, refusing to give me contact details or insurance details (thankfully bike wasn't damaged). Garda who got in touch with me seemed genuine but never heard back after the initial call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Out on a spin from Rathoath with the club yesterday, we headed out towards Laytown. Roads very busy with groups of cyclists. 99% of drivers were grand - we singled up on the narrower roads around Garristown / Bellewstown

Didn't stop the odd few idiots though:

Taxi man decided red lights don't apply at 8.15am, so I was faced by a taxi cutting across me just as I left my house at the first set of lights I came across, about 30 seconds into my spin.

Jeep decided to overtake us coming out of Laytown, group of 7 cyclists, into on coming traffic, around a blind corner and up a hill. Car coming against him had to brake hard to stop and allow him pass. Road actually widens a bit up from this point, but those 30 seconds I guess were well worth putting our and other drivers lives at risk for.

https://goo.gl/maps/v3K72qh7Yjr

The most worrying one was a HGV somewhere near here:

https://goo.gl/maps/AwUp4x2oYEr

Narrow road, single carriageway and this numb huts doesn't even lay off coming towards us - straight enough road, so saw us in plenty of time. We'd singled up to allow him to pass, expecting him to slow. Forced a group 7 of us into the ditch.

It's quite worrying that someone that has a licence for such a big vehicle can be so obviously brain dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Didn't get out on the bike over the weekend, as had other commitments (although may have gone on the wimp list on saturday anyway). However, was out in the campervan yesterday (busy day for bikes and traffic up around us) and witnessed 3 or 4 close or stupid passes from the other way - overtaking on bends when they couldn't see being the main one. Had to brake hard once as it would've been head on collision, or more likely the cyclist getting it as I expect these idiots will avoid the collision that impacts on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sunny weather seems to bring out the dumbest in some people on the roads, not that they need an excuse. Not on the bike, in car this time, but on the road between Kilbride and Ratoath, lots of groups of cyclists yesterday morning, and I was travelling behind a car, both of us doing around 80/90 on a straight stretch coming up to a curve. Guy in a BMW estate decided to overtake both of us (there was a decent gap between my and the car infront) and some ridiculous speed, coming to the curve.

Of course a car came the opposite direction which he couldn't see, and the BMW asshole didn't have the sense to drop back in front of me but kept going, car coming towards us had to brake hard, as too did the car he was overtaking. And guess what, we get to the junction of the Ashbourne road to Ratoath and he was stopped in front of us waiting to get out. He literally made no time over us. I was genuinely going to get out and I dunno, have words, only I knew the lady in front of me that he nearly forced into the ditch and she had her kids with her.

Before this point we had passed about 3 large groups of cyclists coming from the Ratoath side, yet this asshole didn't amend his driving to cater for the fact that he may meet more on the road.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Such a wonderful gesture too from the local council to take all that safe hard-shoulder space on the left, make a high kerbed path out of it, and then deliberately cobble it so neither man nor beast nor bike nor buggy can use it.
    :rolleyes:

Couldn't have been any stupider if they'd put a UFC octagon around that stretch of road and marketed a bikes v cars fight to the death.

Not even that but imagine the injuries a cyclist could suffer if hit by a car or pushed onto the kerb - those stones and sharp rocks don't look very soft.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    .....Had to brake hard once as it would've been head on collision, or more likely the cyclist getting it as I expect these idiots will avoid the collision that impacts on them.

The cyclist would get it if a choice had to be made alright and the instinct would be to evade the oncoming vehicle. They would then argue they did not see the cyclist or the cyclist was too far out or swerved l (anything to deflect that they just made a dangerous manoeuvre)

When someone overtakes me on or near a blind bend I am always fearing they meet another vehicle, possibly doing the same thing or cutting the corner a bit. It's getting like a dynamic game of Russian roulette out there and way too frequent!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Please report near misses. IF they're not reported, then they don't exist. Don't expect a result. But in time the data will be there.
    The Garda or the RSA will have to explain the number of reported vs. investigated events. the frequency of events and so on. Find a sympathetic TD to ask a parliamentary question: they are obliged to answer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Out on a quiet mountain road yesterday morning, it was one of those roads that barely two cars can pass side by side with no white line and you wont come across a car for minutes at a time. 3 of us out, heard a car come up behind so moved to single file straight away.

Of course the idiot decides to take a chance on a blind corner going uphill. As he passed the first of us a jeep comes around the corner and has to swerve his front left wheel into the ditch as idiot keeps going with the overtake maneuver. I had almost come to a stop as he swerved in on top of us in the nick of time before hitting the jeep. I was at the front and he missed my front wheel by inches and would have wiped us out if we hadn't almost come to a stop or were moving a bit quicker.

The guy was obviously a local who should know the road better. Worst thing we did was move to single file cause its like an incentive to the idiots to gun it, even if its on a blind corner.

*We only got part of the reg, we were hoping to catch up with him at the next church cause the fool was rushing to Mass or something at the time on a Sunday morning. Unfortunately there was no sign of him. The jeep driver didn't say much but was visibly shaken too.*

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mp31

Thud wrote: »

Absolutely report this via TrafficWatch and then be sure to make an official statement to the Gardai when they call you back.

Ignore anyone telling you that it's not worth the bother or that the Gardai don't do anything.

The more incidents that are reported, the more the Gardai have to act which should lead to safer roads for everyone.

mp31 wrote: »
    Absolutely report this via TrafficWatch and then be sure to make an official statement to the Gardai when they call you back.

Ignore anyone telling you that it's not worth the bother or that the Gardai don't do anything.

The more incidents that are reported, the more the Gardai have to act which should lead to safer roads for everyone.

I share the sentiment, but from a practical point of view, I'm not so sure. I haven't bothered to report these because I'm not sure what specific offence I am reporting.

I have reported other clear offences, 1-way streets, red light jumping, using the phone - with mixed results from those. Maybe folks should prioritise these specific offences, especially with helmetcam footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Unfortunately I agree that there is little point in reporting most near misses. I do think it is worthwhile reporting deliberately dangerous driving like people swerving in suddenly then braking or screaming out the passenger window laying on the horn, etc.

It sickens me that if any of the dangerous drivers featured in videos here had hit a cyclists there would be people explaining that it was a simple mistake, an accident that could't have been avoided, that people aren't robots and that the motorist has a spotless record as if he drove like an angel every time he has been on the road and didn't actually hit anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I share the sentiment, but from a practical point of view, I'm not so sure. I haven't bothered to report these because I'm not sure what specific offence I am reporting.

I have reported other clear offences, 1-way streets, red light jumping, using the phone - with mixed results from those. Maybe folks should prioritise these specific offences, especially with helmetcam footage.

Reporting dangerous driving likely to endanger life, surely? And the more (factual) reports go in, the more likely proper cycling infrastructure will be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mp31

Please don't let that prevent you from reporting this sort of behaviour from other road users. Use the TrafficWatch phone number, make an official statement to the Gardai and include the video footage and they will decide on the type of offence whether it is dangerous driving, driving with due care and attention etc.
    HivemindXX wrote: »
    Unfortunately I agree that there is little point in reporting most near misses. I do think it is worthwhile reporting deliberately dangerous driving like people swerving in suddenly then braking or screaming out the passenger window laying on the horn, etc.

It sickens me that if any of the dangerous drivers featured in videos here had hit a cyclists there would be people explaining that it was a simple mistake, an accident that could't have been avoided, that people aren't robots and that the motorist has a spotless record as if he drove like an angel every time he has been on the road and didn't actually hit anyone.

It's important to report all near misses especially if you have camera footage. That footage is invaluable to the Gardai as they have the evidence to pursue the driver.

As more drivers realise that video footage of their bad driving may be used against them in such situations, the more likely they are to not drive like that in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Not sure if this belongs in here - felt it was less spammy than making a new thread.

On my commute this morning, going through kilmainham just by the chinese takeaway, I encountered a cyclist cycling towards me in the bike lane.. its not a 2 way bike lane!
    Along the canal was entertaining also, there was a fair bit of bike traffic, and near the front a cyclist decided to haul anchor, in the bike lane, to adjust their backpack..
    Further on, several people crossing the road and choosing to jump out from behind lorries stopped in traffic. I think I need to leave about an hour earlier and avoid some of this madness..

Gerry, call them out on their madness. I think we need to call-out BS as it happens.... but don't get the crap kicked out of you.
    I agree that early morning is waaayyyy better than after 8am for nut bar moves and shoaling.

Gerry wrote: »
    Not sure if this belongs in here - felt it was less spammy than making a new thread.

On my commute this morning, going through kilmainham just by the chinese takeaway, I encountered a cyclist cycling towards me in the bike lane.. its not a 2 way bike lane!
    Along the canal was entertaining also, there was a fair bit of bike traffic, and near the front a cyclist decided to haul anchor, in the bike lane, to adjust their backpack..
    Further on, several people crossing the road and choosing to jump out from behind lorries stopped in traffic. I think I need to leave about an hour earlier and avoid some of this madness..

There will always be people out practicing for the Darwin awards...

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

mp31 wrote: »
    Please don't let that prevent you from reporting this sort of behaviour from other road users. Use the TrafficWatch phone number, make an official statement to the Gardai and include the video footage and they will decide on the type of offence whether it is dangerous driving, driving with due care and attention etc.

It's important to report all near misses especially if you have camera footage. That footage is invaluable to the Gardai as they have the evidence to pursue the driver.

As more drivers realise that video footage of their bad driving may be used against them in such situations, the more likely they are to not drive like that in the first place.

What with the Gardaí somehow failing to get high-profile stats accurate in the last while I really have no confidence in them acting on anything they're given concerning "minor crimes".
    Of the 4 times I needed to go to a Garda station 3 of them involved stolen bikes. Each time there was zero follow-up and I was met with total confusion and fobbing off if I called to the station to check on progress. I'm pretty sure I was lied to about CCTV on two of those occasions just to get me off their backs. My impression was nobody had recorded/registered the incidents. To be fair they're all a few years back now.
    Incidentally the other time I needed them I was told to register the incident on their rubbish website. I did and never heard a single thing again about it.
    Things might be different with road traffic but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

The Gardai can take someone to court for speeding without even using a radar gun, just the word of the guard in question. I don't see why a device to measure the distance during the overtake would be necessary.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Reporting dangerous driving likely to endanger life, surely? And the more (factual) reports go in, the more likely proper cycling infrastructure will be built.

Honestly, try it out, make a few reports and let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I've had a few near misses recently, more than normal. Scariest one was last week when a taxi overtaking me on a left hand turn when I was going straight on. We were both stopped at a roundabout junction, I was in front of him to the left at the top of the junction. When it was clear to proceed he overtook me turning left forcing me to take some of the turn with him or cycle into his car. No yellow flashy things and a car full of punters. I had to stop mid left hand turn and cause an obstruction to other traffic to correct my road position to proceed straight on. Fortunately the approaching taxi stopped and let me do so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement