Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mp31

What with the Garda? somehow failing to get high-profile stats accurate in the last while I really have no confidence in them acting on anything they're given concerning "minor crimes".
    Of the 4 times I needed to go to a Garda station 3 of them involved stolen bikes. Each time there was zero follow-up and I was met with total confusion and fobbing off if I called to the station to check on progress. I'm pretty sure I was lied to about CCTV on two of those occasions just to get me off their backs. My impression was nobody had recorded/registered the incidents. To be fair they're all a few years back now.
    Incidentally the other time I needed them I was told to register the incident on their rubbish website. I did and never heard a single thing again about it.
    Things might be different with road traffic but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Regardless of what happened a few years ago, anyone who has experienced a close pass whilst on a bike, please use the TrafficWatch phone number and make an official statement to the Gardai with the video footage from your helmet camera. It can only help improve road safety for all of us in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

It could happen to anyone... take it handy out there

https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/861860980430696448

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It could happen to anyone... take it handy out there

Was just about the post that. He looks like he was very very lucky.

godtabh wrote: »

Indeed, given what happened to michele scarponi a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

godtabh wrote: »

Or very, very unlucky to meet such a driver, depending on your point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Saw a strange one while driving. Stopped at the lights on grand canal, watched another cyclist cycle into the lighting column on the footpath, avoiding both cycle lanes?? The sad part was I watched the whole thing in slow motion and she was looking straight ahead and no earphones etc in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Yesterday a guy passed me with about an inch to spare between my elbow and his wing mirror (i cycle the same route to work each day). He did it on a road where there was abundant space to pass me . It was a really distinctive car, i got the Reg and i could remember the car dealers sticker on the rear window of the car. I was shook after it.

Anyway - today cycling the same route to work and i see the car ahead of me, it turns into a petrol station so i cycled in after it and when the guy got out of the car to put the petrol in - i asked him did he remember nearly knocking me off my bike yesterday, he said no. He said he didnt even see me - i said that was the problem. I told him i had it all recorded (i dont - i just have a fancy headlight that i pointed at). I asked him to remember that everyone on a bike is a person, that we have friends and family who care about us and that we are not just obstacles on the road. He then gave a genuine apology to me and i went on my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Not a near miss as such but something to be aware of if you cycle country roads now that silage cutting season seems to be starting. On Monday evening on one of my usual routes I met a large John Deere with a wide mowing machine, it took up at least 4/5 of the road. Now it was on a straight stretch and he moved in as far as he could and almost stopped but it was still quite a tight pass on my side (maybe 2 'bike widths'), so keep an eye and ear out for large tractors

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Blue Fiesta actually 'nudged' me out of the way at speed this morning on North Strand (just at the top of the hill over the canal). Frightened the sh1te out of me. Was almost in the middle of the bus lane so had room to swerve left. I wouldn't mind but there was a bus in front of us so 5 seconds later he was stuck behind it when it pulled in.

Nice footage from both front and rear facing cameras which includes him driving the length of the bus lane on North Strand at 07.30. This is deffo one for Traffic Watch.

I'll include popcorn with the footage when I pass it to AGS................
    I had posted this elsewhere but probably more relevant to update in this thread.

Gardai dropped in to me last night and, having reviewed the footage, are looking for a prosecution in this case. They are opening a file on it and will be back to me shortly to get a statement. Will update again with progress.

The Garda looking after it is actually on the Garda bikes a bit so was very understanding.

Update.

Ok, so I have to decide by this afternoon what I want to do in this case. I have 2 options and it's up to me how we proceed. I can opt for a stern word from the Gardai with, I'm sure, an apology from the driver or push for a prosecution. This will mean it will go to court.

The Garda mentioned a potential charge of 'careless driving' but that suggests to me that someone just wasn't paying attention to what they are doing - this guy made a very concious decision to endanger me. Is there a charge of 'dangerous driving' or does 'careless' cover all? This is all compounded by the fact that this guy apparently drives a van for a living and thought this reckless behaviour was ok.

Anyway, the zen part of me wants to accept an apology and let it go but I think I should make a stand here. There are so many stories in this thread with similar incidents that go either un-reported or un-punished. I feel I almost have a duty of care to pursue it.

By the way, I deliberately have not posted the footage so as not to jeopardise the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Update.

I can opt for a stern word from the Gardai with, I'm sure, an apology from the driver or push for a prosecution.

I've has this option before and always went for the easy warning, but I'm not so sure if I've any faith in it anymore. It smacks of an easy way out for all, including the Garda - a way of avoiding the paperwork and hassle with a prosecution. If you have the tenacity, I think more of these sorts of things should be taken a stage further and a finger wagging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Anyway, the zen part of me wants to accept an apology and let it go but I think I should make a stand here. There are so many stories in this thread with similar incidents that go either un-reported or un-punished. I feel I almost have a duty of care to pursue it.

By the way, I deliberately have not posted the footage so as not to jeopardise the case.

For the love of god, don't do this. Take this guy to court, it might be his one and only offense, but it may also be a common occurrence. People like this think it's ok to act this way, "sure if I apologise it'll be grand".

Every time I get a piece of footage worth going to the Gardai, I take it in. However, some of the guys in the local station treat me like I am a nuisance and it never goes anywhere. Traffic watch are far more helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I would push for the prosecution as well.

It may never reach that point, I think it's up to the DPP whether to take the case to court anyway so it's not like you are the judge and jury here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Push for prosecution, seriously. This could be one of the first cases where AGS use cyclist Video Footage to prosecute, which could prove very important for more serious cases.
    It really is important that you do this.

fat bloke wrote: »
    I've has this option before and always went for the easy warning, but I'm not so sure if I've any faith in it anymore. It smacks of an easy way out for all, including the Garda - a way of avoiding the paperwork and hassle with a prosecution. If you have the tenacity, I think more of these sorts of things should be taken a stage further and a finger wagging.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

It's odd that driving a car at someone isn't treated as assault. A matter of custom and practice, but odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Push for prosecution, seriously. This could be one of the first cases where AGS use cyclist Video Footage to prosecute, which could prove very important for more serious cases.
    It really is important that you do this.

Fully agree - though for the record, AGS have used video footage from me to issue FPNs in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Some absolute scumbag starts pushing your bike with his car? That's a no brainer. Ask your self, would you leave an ape drive a car? No? Then get this ape off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Bit of a head rattler yesterday.
    Straight stretch of road, heard something large come up behind me so took a more primary position than usual as I could hear the car building revs to attempt an overtake with a car oncoming on a solid white line with an upcoming junction.
    Driver went for it anyway. Turned out to be a large hilux pulling a 14' foot double axled livestock trailer.
    Ended up getting squeezed to the point where I had to ride on the grass margin with the very rear of the trailer then brushing my shoulder as it passed.
    Would have cost him or her 4 or 5 seconds to wait until it was safe.
    Didn't set in how close it was until the tragic news from Killarney came out yesterday evening.
    closepass_zpst9xcphql.jpg

Fully agree - though for the record, AGS have used video footage from me to issue FPNs in the past.

That's interesting. There's definitely enough evidence on the video to hit him with a 'dangerous overtake' which I see comes with a 3-point penalty.
    Some absolute scumbag starts pushing your bike with his car? That's a no brainer. Ask your self, would you leave an ape drive a car? No? Then get this ape off the road.

The reason he 'nudged' me was he was squeezing between me and a stationary line of traffic to my right. As he passed me, one of the cars was slightly more left than the rest so, rather than risk removing that car's mirror, he went for the soft squishy option on his left...........

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Driver went for it anyway. Turned out to be a large hilux pulling a 14' foot double axled livestock trailer.
    Ended up getting squeezed to the point where I had to ride on the grass margin with the very rear of the trailer then brushing my shoulder as it passed.
    Perceptions are funny, there was a poster on here yesterday claiming that you would be fine. It really shocks me that anyone thinks that this was an OK situation to be in or put in. Hope your not too shock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how much info are the gardai allowed give you about the other driver if you file a complaint? i suspect little to none?

regarding the quandary about 'do i press charges or just get the gardai to lecture them?' question, i reckon i'd be much more inclined to go down the charges route if i knew the driver had form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

how much info are the gardai allowed give you about the other driver if you file a complaint? i suspect little to none?

regarding the quandary about 'do i press charges or just get the gardai to lecture them?' question, i reckon i'd be much more inclined to go down the charges route if i knew the driver had form.

I would ask for the drivers insurance details- if you decide to take a PIAB action it will blow their NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Had this absolute genius try to come in on top of me to presumably undertake the car turning right ahead. After I told him to move over he proceeded to beep and angrily point towards the kerb. I wouldn't mind I was doing around 35km/h...

https://youtu.be/-pj-munt4r0

Blue Fiesta actually 'nudged' me out of the way at speed this morning on North Strand (just at the top of the hill over the canal). Frightened the sh1te out of me. Was almost in the middle of the bus lane so had room to swerve left. I wouldn't mind but there was a bus in front of us so 5 seconds later he was stuck behind it when it pulled in.

Nice footage from both front and rear facing cameras which includes him driving the length of the bus lane on North Strand at 07.30. This is deffo one for Traffic Watch.
    Gardai dropped in to me last night and, having reviewed the footage, are looking for a prosecution in this case. They are opening a file on it and will be back to me shortly to get a statement. Will update again with progress.

The Garda looking after it is actually on the Garda bikes a bit so was very understanding.
    Update.

Ok, so I have to decide by this afternoon what I want to do in this case. I have 2 options and it's up to me how we proceed. I can opt for a stern word from the Gardai with, I'm sure, an apology from the driver or push for a prosecution. This will mean it will go to court.

The Garda mentioned a potential charge of 'careless driving' but that suggests to me that someone just wasn't paying attention to what they are doing - this guy made a very concious decision to endanger me. Is there a charge of 'dangerous driving' or does 'careless' cover all? This is all compounded by the fact that this guy apparently drives a van for a living and thought this reckless behaviour was ok.

Decision

The Garda just called me there and I have confirmed that I would like to go all the way with this. Gave it lots of thought and it really is the right thing to do.

Chiparus wrote: »
    I would ask for the drivers insurance details- if you decide to take a PIAB action it will blow their NCB.

In my case this was a (very) near miss so there is no question of compensation

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If the Garda took on a campaign like West Midlands Police, Edinburgh Police and now PSNI too this is exactly the sort of issue they could pull motorists aside and drum into them. These police campaigns start with education and then if that doesn't work penalties follow.
    LpPepper wrote: »
    Had this absolute genius try to come in on top of me to presumably undertake the car turning right ahead. After I told him to move over he proceeded to beep and angrily point towards the kerb. I wouldn't mind I was doing around 35km/h...

https://youtu.be/-pj-munt4r0

Farking hell - Is that Firhouse? I think there is cycle track along some, but not all sections of that road, so that probably enables the kerb-pointing for him. What desperate driving that was.

Farking hell - Is that Firhouse? I think there is cycle track along some, but not all sections of that road, so that probably enables the kerb-pointing for him. What desperate driving that was.

It's Firhouse heading towards Scholarstown/M50. And no, on that particular road there is no "cycle track" whatsoever. You see one at the start of the video on the left which has just come from Firhouse Road but it ends abruptly just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

LpPepper wrote: »
    It's Firhouse heading towards Scholarstown/M50. And no, on that particular road there is no "cycle track" whatsoever. You see one at the start of the video on the left which has just come from Firhouse Road but it ends abruptly just there.

There's nothing. Nothing that can justify that move.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    There's nothing. Nothing that can justify that move.

You're right, he just saw me as some sort of annoyance I guess! I wouldn't mind but was less than 1km from home, and it was my first outing with my Stayin Alive at 1.5 Jersey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Must.get.past.

Just like the twit who overtook me heading towards the castleknock hotel coming out of the Phoenix park this evening - narrow rural road, over a white line, into oncoming traffic, which he swerved left (and almost hit me, causing me to brake sharply) to avoid. Wider road a few hundred meters ahead, but hey he's in a rush.

Some day my luck will run out :(.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement