Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Must.get.past.

Just like the twit who overtook me heading towards the castleknock hotel coming out of the Phoenix park this evening - narrow rural road, over a white line, into oncoming traffic, which he swerved left (and almost hit me, causing me to brake sharply) to avoid. Wider road a few hundred meters ahead, but hey he's in a rush.

Some day my luck will run out :(.

I'm thinking of inventing some sort of device that will fire little sharp rocks at cars that pass at less than one metre...who's my first investor??

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

LpPepper wrote: »
    Another near miss today on the N81 just before Jobstown. Driver overtook me on a bend with an ambulance (flashing lights and all) coming the other way. Bloody nearly took me out:

What type of camera set up do you have there?

barrier86 wrote: »
    What type of camera set up do you have there?

Go Pro Hero HD 2014 with a cheapy aluminium K-Edge copy from Amazon.

Edit: It's actually for sale if anyone's interested! Pm me if interested

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'm thinking of inventing some sort of device that will fire little sharp rocks at cars that pass at less than one metre...who's my first investor??

Better yet, a water pistol loaded with brake fluid.
    Should wreck their paint work.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

5uspect wrote: »
    Better yet, a water pistol loaded with brake fluid.
    Should wreck their paint work.

I tend to just fantasise about cycling along with a hammer in my right hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

In my case this was a (very) near miss so there is no question of compensation

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

CramCycle wrote: »
    Perceptions are funny, there was a poster on here yesterday claiming that you would be fine. It really shocks me that anyone thinks that this was an OK situation to be in or put in. Hope your not too shock.

Nah I'm all good. Just worry about others really, someone moving slower or less experienced would have gone down for sure in a situation like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    I tend to just fantasise about cycling along with a hammer in my right hand

this made me snort -laugh.

I used to drive a motorbike and wore steel toed (steel on the outside) motocross boots. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

and it was my first outing with my Stayin Alive at 1.5 Jersey!

Don't give up. Whenever I wear my Stayin Alive gilet the difference it makes is absolutely extraordinary-which is ironically irritating as it means when people know they're being recorded they drive properly. I've never, ever had a close call while wearing it.

The difference between the jersey and the gilet is that the back of the gilet tells others I'm recording my journey while the jersey doesn't (IIRC)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Stopped at the red light on the canal bridge near The Barge this morning heading south for Ranelagh. Traffic was backed up heading along the canal towards Leeson Street and one genius was stopped in the junction. Despite the lights still being red, a cyclist decided to cross in front of the stopped car. Unfortunately for her, the traffic started moving including the car she was crossing. Luckily the "genius" spotted her at the very last second and slammed on his brakes, narrowly avoiding her.
    I caught up with her up the road a bit and went to tell her what an idiot she was but I don't think my words made it through her headphones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Approaching Lambs Cross from Stepaside last night, was coming towards the Slate Cabin Lane turn at the primary school where the road narrows...traffic had built up a bit so I was slowing. Knowing the road I prepare to slow well before it narrows. The traffic started to move and I was getting ready to get going again when just as I get to a car, they decide to turn left and indicate at the same time to head up slate cabin lane. Had to take the turn with them to avoid going over the bonnet.
    Having only got back on the bike recently, I'd totally forgotten how many near misses you can get on a one hour cycle. Some of the driving is totally awful.
    Thing is, if they'd been indicating before they'd attempted to make the turn, I'd have held back and let them take the turn as I wouldn't have been able to go far past them anyway with the red light and traffic. Do people thing we can just stop instantly or that we should/would stop instantly the second they turn their indicator on/start to turn? One of the girls in our tri club was knocked off a few weeks ago, two cars overtook her, the second one decided to turn left straight after as she was going straight and obviously off she comes as she couldn't stop.
    He gets out and says ''I had my indicator on" WTF???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my Stayin Alive at 1.5 Jersey!
    Where did you get this? What does it look like?

Where did you get this? What does it look like?

From here http://www.safecyclingireland.org/store/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Some of the driving is totally awful.
    Thing is, if they'd been indicating before they'd attempted to make the turn, I'd have held back and let them take the turn

(snip)

He gets out and says ''I had my indicator on" WTF???

A TV campaign on how to indicate, and a load of billboards saying

Indicate in time!
    (We're not telepathic!)

would do a world of good.

Followed by a repeat of the famous French one that cut road deaths, with billboards that said

WHAT WILL YOU DO WHEN YOU GET THERE?

(with road death numbers listed below, I think)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers, i was hoping it'd have a much easier to read design on the back, that motorists could get the gist of from further away. to be fair, it's a nice enough jersey otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

cheers, i was hoping it'd have a much easier to read design on the back, that motorists could get the gist of from further away. to be fair, it's a nice enough jersey otherwise.

Probably the best safety message on a T-shirt is a giant pair of eyes - humans are coded to notice staring eyes.

If this was on the back, not the front, and if the eyes were staring towards drivers, it would be ideal.

despicable_me_minions_with_big_eyes_logo_t_shirt_tee-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I had a near miss early last year with aggressive afters which I reported at the time. Today I got a call to say the driver is up in court for dangerous driving. I will update when it's been through court in a few weeks...

For those that say it's not worth reporting , nothing will happen if you don't and next time it may not be a near miss....let every motorist have to account for their behaviour. The bad ones will at some time have the law to answer to

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I had a near miss early last year with aggressive afters which I reported at the time. Today I got a call to say the driver is up in court for dangerous driving. I will update when it's been through court in a few weeks...

For those that say it's not worth reporting , nothing will happen if you don't and next time it may not be a near miss....let every motorist have to account for their behaviour. The bad ones will at some time have the law to answer to

I just wonder - if i ring Traffic Watch everytime something happens, they will get used to hearing complaints from me and they will lose their "weight" if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Parchment wrote: »
    I just wonder - if i ring Traffic Watch everytime something happens, they will get used to hearing complaints from me and they will lose their "weight" if that makes sense.

Its a Civ that answers, either they log it or they dont. It would be a serious breach if they didnt log it.

The local Super could get tired of seeing your contact info on the reports they send.

ED E wrote: »
    Its a Civ that answers, either they log it or they dont. It would be a serious breach if they didnt log it.

The local Super could get tired of seeing your contact info on the reports they send.

I know its a civilian who logs it but im saying if you make a complaint/call every time something happens they will take you less seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Parchment wrote: »

I don't know. Perhaps if enough are reported it will flag as a big issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Got taken out on the way home this evening :( Just scratches on me but the front wheel went under the back wheels of a left turning van, buckled, crushed, and about half the spokes snapped. Very "lucky" all things considered.

The spidey-sense I mentioned earlier in the thread completely failed me. Driver indicated just as I drew level with the back of the van and just as he turned. He was slowing, but there was slow moving traffic ahead so I assumed it was for that, and he was turning into a lane way across a path rather than at a larger junction.

Most annoying part was his attitude. Got out, asked was I ok and when I said I'd need his details, he said "Why? Sure you cycled into me." So called the gardai, waited about 20 mins and he started getting twitchy and offering cash. Even when I showed him the footage he couldn't see the problem. Gardai said they couldn't do much, it's a civil matter, didn't seem too bothered by the driving or his attitude that he'd done nothing wrong.

I stupidly just wanted to get home so took cash for the damage, again when I told him how much it would be, he started the sob story that he has 5 kids, etc, etc. Gardai gave me a lift to LBS with the bike, thankfully my estimate was about right.

Even after just 2 hours, I'm already kicking myself for not getting an estimate first and insurance details, should have done it properly. But in the situation I got some fright and just wanted to sort it and get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Danbo! wrote: »
    Got taken out on the way home this evening :( Just scratches on me but the front wheel went under the back wheels of a left turning van, buckled, crushed, and about half the spokes snapped. Very "lucky" all things considered.

The spidey-sense I mentioned earlier in the thread completely failed me. Driver indicated just as I drew level with the back of the van and just as he turned. He was slowing, but there was slow moving traffic ahead so I assumed it was for that, and he was turning into a lane way across a path rather than at a larger junction.

Most annoying part was his attitude. Got out, asked was I ok and when I said I'd need his details, he said "Why? Sure you cycled into me." So called the gardai, waited about 20 mins and he started getting twitchy and offering cash. Even when I showed him the footage he couldn't see the problem. Gardai said they couldn't do much, it's a civil matter, didn't seem too bothered by the driving or his attitude that he'd done nothing wrong.

I stupidly just wanted to get home so took cash for the damage, again when I told him how much it would be, he started the sob story that he has 5 kids, etc, etc. Gardai gave me a lift to LBS with the bike, thankfully my estimate was about right.

Even after just 2 hours, I'm already kicking myself for not getting an estimate first and insurance details, should have done it properly. But in the situation I got some fright and just wanted to sort it and get home.

That's ****.

It's hard to do it right with the adrenaline pumping after something like that.

Did the guards not ask him to present his details within 10 days? Thought that was standard practice for RTCs.

Similar, though not as bad, happened to me once. Car turned left into an entrance way, I managed to go with him but ended up in a flowerpot. Thankfully no damage done.

Hope you and bike are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

You would imagine that with the recent fatalities involving cyclists that the Gardai would take these type of incidents more seriously.

amcalester wrote: »
    Did the guards not ask him to present his details within 10 days? Thought that was standard practice for RTCs.

Yeah he has to, but the money he gave me covers a new mavic askium wheel and bar tape. Thankfully there was nothing else wrong according to LBS that I didn't notice at the time. It was more his attitude afterwards.

Rewatching the video, I can just see his indicator come on as it goes out of frame. It's a wide angle lens, I certainly didn't see it in my peripheral vision and it was so late coming on there was little I could do. He does veer towards the cycle lane too tho, should have spotted that :( If it had of been dry I probably would have been going at a faster pace. Worryingly too I can see he keeps going in the lane way, so glad it wasn't my leg under his wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

That was an indicate as you turn job. I'm glad you're not seriously hurt, as that could have ended quite differently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

That was nasty.

He had already started his turn before he indicated and obviously didn't check his mirror.

Would you consider sending it to traffic watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

ouch danbo, you did well to come out of that with only scratches. it's ridiculous driving, can't believe the guard didn't see a problem with it.

fair play to the car that pulled up straight away to assist.

amcalester wrote: »
    That was nasty.

He had already started his turn before he indicated and obviously didn't check his mirror.

Would you consider sending it to traffic watch?

Said that to the Garda afterwards, he just said "sure they'll just send it on to us". Maybe their hands are tied, but it seemed that I wasn't injured to the point an ambulance was required, so no big deal. Ugh.

• Advertisement

fair play to the car that pulled up straight away to assist.

She was a legend! She was the one beeping to warn him. She hopped out and got really excited when she saw he camera - "oh wow do you have it all on camera, brilliant!!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement