Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Danbo! wrote: »
    Said that to the Garda afterwards, he just said "sure they'll just send it on to us". Maybe their hands are tied, but it seemed that I wasn't injured to the point an ambulance was required, so no big deal. Ugh.

Or because you didn't make a fuss and the guard was a bit lazy he just ignored it.

I'd make a complaint and see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Got taken out on the way home this evening :( Just scratches on me but the front wheel went under the back wheels of a left turning van, buckled, crushed, and about half the spokes snapped. Very "lucky" all things considered.

The spidey-sense I mentioned earlier in the thread completely failed me. Driver indicated just as I drew level with the back of the van and just as he turned. He was slowing, but there was slow moving traffic ahead so I assumed it was for that, and he was turning into a lane way across a path rather than at a larger junction.

Sorry to read this. The main thing is you were not seriously injured. Being mindful and a mind reader is nigh on impossible all the time. Sometimes your luck or skill deserts you. Wrong time -wrong place. One of the worlds greatest mountaineers was killed two weeks ago in Nepal...survival is not a perfect science.

He sounds like a dcik. Do you not have the reg on film? You can request his insurance details from Dublin County Council (if you say it relates to an accident) or ask the Garda if they can help, saying you have medical bills? If you say you are hurt, they have to follow it up.

I see you have video up. You were very lucky. Had you been a second or two earlier you were potentially under the reare wheels. Totally careless and driving without due care and attention. Definitely report that to Terenure Garda. An ambulance does not have to be called to the scene for you to claim injury. You could wake tomorrow with a sore back, neck , leg. Get yourself checked out and get yourself to the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Don't give up. Whenever I wear my Stayin Alive gilet the difference it makes is absolutely extraordinary-which is ironically irritating as it means when people know they're being recorded they drive properly. I've never, ever had a close call while wearing it.

The difference between the jersey and the gilet is that the back of the gilet tells others I'm recording my journey while the jersey doesn't (IIRC)
    Got a picture please?
    Chuchote wrote: »
    Probably the best safety message on a T-shirt is a giant pair of eyes - humans are coded to notice staring eyes.

If this was on the back, not the front, and if the eyes were staring towards drivers, it would be ideal.

despicable_me_minions_with_big_eyes_logo_t_shirt_tee-2.jpg

I'd love to get a jacket or hi-vis vest with an A3 plastic wallet on the back, so I could swap in / out A3 size sheets with appropriate messages, like 'Put The Fu****g Phone Down' or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Yeah he has to, but the money he gave me covers a new mavic askium wheel and bar tape. Thankfully there was nothing else wrong according to LBS that I didn't notice at the time. It was more his attitude afterwards.

Rewatching the video, I can just see his indicator come on as it goes out of frame. It's a wide angle lens, I certainly didn't see it in my peripheral vision and it was so late coming on there was little I could do. He does veer towards the cycle lane too tho, should have spotted that :( If it had of been dry I probably would have been going at a faster pace. Worryingly too I can see he keeps going in the lane way, so glad it wasn't my leg under his wheel.

**** hope you're okay, that was a rough one. I cycle that road regularly in and out of town.

Van driver was completely in the wrong - seriously how could anyone think any different?? Indicates as he swings left, has he ever heard of using his mirrors? You know: Mirror - Signal - Mirror - Manoeuvre...

You should send it onto Sticky Bottle and Stayin Alive at 1.5 on Facebook, try raise some awareness of how worse that could have been for you - drivers need to be more aware and considerate..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

No way, you were in the same bike shop as me dropping your bike off this afternoon. I overheard someone saying their wheel went under a van, yikes. Glad to hear you're okay. I am always very cautious and was knocked down by a driver who started moving off after stopping in traffic and plowed into me in the cycle lane so no matter how careful you are sometimes there's no avoiding it. And she screamed at me too, that she was turning and had her indicators on :rolleyes:

It sounds like you escaped that without injury and got enough cash off him for the repairs on the most part? Then its probably for the best you didn't have to deal with insurance companies treating you like you were in the wrong, thats the experience I had (of course they don't want to pay up) and endless back and forth of letters. Its a frustrating experience, the driver is the one in the wrong but there's no justice. They'd get in more trouble for picking up their phone in their car than for knocking someone over.

I don't think I know anyone who cycles a lot who hasn't had these kinds of experiences, scary isn't it!

I've been cycling that route for 12 years and that's the second accident I've ever been in. Not sure if it's a good thing that my initial reaction is that that's not bad? Plenty of near misses and stupidity out there but, you're right, you can't avoid it forever.

Yeah the cash covers all the damage perfectly and I've been putting getting off a needed headset anyway so that's being done at the same time. Just need to pick it up tomorrow and get out for a spin asap before the fear sets in :)

To be honest, I've had a really ****ty 18 months, with lots of insurance/hospital crap, and things are finally looking up recently, so the last thing I wanted was more claims/letters etc, and just to get reimbursed for the damage and go home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, go the insurance company/PIAB route. You've a clear case to make that just having been knocked off your bike you were not in a position to think about things in a perfectly clear manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

He hit his indicator as he turned the steering wheel.

Indicators should be taken OFF the wheel stem and onto the dash to stop this sh?te. Retrospective legislation that is required to pass an NCT after 2020. Never gonna happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah he has to, but the money he gave me covers a new mavic askium wheel and bar tape. Thankfully there was nothing else wrong according to LBS that I didn't notice at the time. It was more his attitude afterwards.

Rewatching the video, I can just see his indicator come on as it goes out of frame. It's a wide angle lens, I certainly didn't see it in my peripheral vision and it was so late coming on there was little I could do. He does veer towards the cycle lane too tho, should have spotted that :( If it had of been dry I probably would have been going at a faster pace. Worryingly too I can see he keeps going in the lane way, so glad it wasn't my leg under his wheel.

Exactly what happened to me yesterday only we just managed not to collide. He came into the cycle lane, began to turn and then indicated. Not how indicators are meant to be used. Driver was completely in the wrong - there is no way you could have known he was going to turn left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I suppose because cash was taken, that's an end to it. I wasn't impressed with the guard's response. They are the definition of lazy. It looks like the guards have a points system in place and traffic accidents (incidents) are pretty low on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I suppose because cash was taken, that's an end to it. I wasn't impressed with the guard's response. They are the definition of lazy. It looks like the guards have a points system in place and traffic accidents (incidents) are pretty low on that list.

Not sure about the cash point? I'm sure a Solicitor could advise you but unless you agreed full and final payment terms?

I don't think you can generalise about the Guards either. I found in my incident they couldn't have been more helpful after the event. None turned up at the time though, or perhaps I didn't hang around long enough. I did have an ambulance call at the scene which was useful as it has to go through the books so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Not sure about the cash point? I'm sure a Solicitor could advise you but unless you agreed full and final payment terms?

I don't think you can generalise about the Guards either. I found in my incident they couldn't have been more helpful after the event. None turned up at the time though, or perhaps I didn't hang around long enough. I did have an ambulance call at the scene which was useful as it has to go through the books so to speak.

I think I can generalize about the force, considering how bad they've been in general. Consider the non stop list of incidents finding their way into the public eye,
    the leader who won't fall on her sword, the breathalyzer scandal, their treatment of whistle blowers...and actually I'll throw Irish politics in with that too.

But back on topic, yeah those guards were very disinterested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I think I can generalize about the force, considering how bad they've been in general. Consider the non stop list of incidents finding their way into the public eye,
    the leader who won't fall on her sword, the breathalyzer scandal, their treatment of whistle blowers...and actually I'll throw Irish politics in with that too.

But back on topic, yeah those guards were very disinterested.

Sadly, Guards calling into old people, doing shopping for them and stuff, doesn't really sell papers or make great headline news/click bait.

But yeah, back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've been cycling that route for 12 years and that's the second accident I've ever been in. Not sure if it's a good thing that my initial reaction is that that's not bad? Plenty of near misses and stupidity out there but, you're right, you can't avoid it forever.

Yeah the cash covers all the damage perfectly and I've been putting getting off a needed headset anyway so that's being done at the same time. Just need to pick it up tomorrow and get out for a spin asap before the fear sets in :)

To be honest, I've had a really ****ty 18 months, with lots of insurance/hospital crap, and things are finally looking up recently, so the last thing I wanted was more claims/letters etc, and just to get reimbursed for the damage and go home.

Glad it wasn't too serious for you, but let's stop calling them 'accidents'

http://www.crashnotaccident.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Got a picture please?

I'd love to get a jacket or hi-vis vest with an A3 plastic wallet on the back, so I could swap in / out A3 size sheets with appropriate messages, like 'Put The Fu****g Phone Down' or similar

Come on, Renko, update your thinking! What you need is an LED display on your back, with a handlebar-mounted device that you could use to change the message or image!

Chuchote wrote: »
    Come on, Renko, update your thinking! What you need is an LED display on your back, with a handlebar-mounted device that you could use to change the message or image!

My thinking exactly. I think about such a device regularly. Must check Aliexpress. It's great for all kinds of cycling related kit that you thought you didn't need until you see it there for a few $ and then realise, it's essential kit ..:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It may be a civil matter but the Gardai didn't fulfill their duty. Should have 5 penalty points and possibly a fine for "driving a vehicle in a public place without due care and attention".

That's how I got hit. Few years ago and the Garda was incredibly unhelpful and told me to go to another station to report it. Driver ditched van, changed number and moved before I could get anywhere yet I saw him a few times since

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Crazy that an incident like that gets no kind of attention from the guards, would the same be said if he knocked down a pedestrian? I don't get the attitude towards cyclists, that really was clean cut case of not driving with due care , he couldn't have checked his mirrors, or did and wanted to put you against the side of his van..:confused:

Glad to hear you're ok, What is the correct procedure if you're taken out like this? For future reference

Call Guards, Get insurance details ,Get repair estimate, Go doctor , make claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Not a near miss by any stretch unfortunately, but for me this one (saw it shared on Facebook by Stayin' alive at 1.5) warrants a custodial sentence: https://www.facebook.com/leroy.kulczynski/posts/10154541519951546

Unfortunately it's almost certain not to play out that way.

• Advertisement

That Facebook report is shocking. In this case it's not merely a RT incident. It's assault / GBH and criminal damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Parchment wrote: »
    I know its a civilian who logs it but im saying if you make a complaint/call every time something happens they will take you less seriously.

The solution to that is as some people here recommend that EVERYBODY who experiences a dangerous motorist/cyclist interaction reports it so even if there are a lot on record from A, the ones from B, C, D, etc will show that it'snot just a crank or nervous Nellie reporting them. There will quite likely be more incidents from certain routes as while there can be poor driving decisions anywhere the layout of certain roads/junctions seems to lend itself to problems. Many posters have commented on how dangerous the Smithfield junction where the collision happened the other day is for eg

The solution to that is as some people here recommend that EVERYBODY who experiences a dangerous motorist/cyclist interaction reports it so even if there are a lot on record from A, the ones from B, C, D, etc will show that it'snot just a crank or nervous Nellie reporting them. There will quite likely be more incidents from certain routes as while there can be poor driving decisions anywhere the layout of certain roads/junctions seems to lend itself to problems. Many posters have commented on how dangerous the Smithfield junction where the collision happened the other day is for eg

This is why we need an app.

1. See bad driving
    2. Enter reg and make/model + location. Optional pic
    3. When Johnny Road W@nker has 5 hits a week AGS could go have a chat about his road skills.

But we've more chance of a toddler setting that up than our keepers of the peace corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Said that to the Garda afterwards, he just said "sure they'll just send it on to us". Maybe their hands are tied, but it seemed that I wasn't injured to the point an ambulance was required, so no big deal. Ugh.

I dont know you from Adam, Danbo, but I had knots in my stomach reading about your experience, I think because of the one fatality and one serious injury already this week. Glad you are ok but the attitude of the Garda in your case and some others recounted on this thread and the "Is it worth it anymore ?" thread fills me with despair.

It's somewhat reassuring that Kaisr's case is proceeding but it appears as if these cases should be in court on a weekly if not a daily basis. I dont know anything about the Law but if appears as if the sometimes much vaunted Garda power of discretion is the problem here. Any of us might be glad of a friendly word rather than a fine/court appearance if we are caught committing a minor traffic offence but this refusal to take it seriously when a cyclist's safety has been threatened is beyond a joke.

I would like to see the Garda force being directed to prosecute all offences where there is indication (injury/ camera footage, witnesses) that a pedestrian's or cyclist's safety has been compromised but I don't know if this would require new legislation or not.

Of course as Phil Skelton has often pointed out, many countries have the law of presumed liability, where unless there is overwhelming evidence that the cyclist was in the wrong the presumption is that the larger more powerful vehicle is at fault.

Something needs to be done to safeguard those of us who already cycle and make it more attractive to those who currently consider it too dangerous. If the Minimum Passing Distance Bill is enacted that will help. So will better cycling infrastructure of course but even if there was the will that would take years to accomplish. In the meantime there needs to be consequences for motorists who endanger cyclists and pedestrians.

How about if those of you who have camera footage or experiences of actual collisions and dangerous near misses were to send your stories/copies of the footage to the All Party Oireachtas Cycling Group which was relaunched recently? They might at least ask the Min for Justice a PQ or a series of them on the lines of "Is the Minister aware...." etc etc, "What plans does the Minister have to ensure ...? etc etc

Or does anybody have any other ideas?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ED E wrote: »
    This is why we need an app.

1. See bad driving
    2. Enter reg and make/model + location. Optional pic
    3. When Johnny Road W@nker has 5 hits a week AGS could go have a chat about his road skills.

But we've more chance of a toddler setting that up than our keepers of the peace corruption.

Hard to enforce - whats stopping your ex and their mates sabotaging you with fake reports or some such. And one person's definition of bad driving - the person who uses roundabouts wrong thinks the person who uses roundabout correctly is a bad driver so reports them etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

The civil side of the matter may well be considered to be sorted, unless there are further expenses such as medical. However it is certainly not too late to report the driver to trafficwatch (which means it's on a list somewhere and has to be dealt with). Driver certainly deserves penalty points to reinforce the lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Another one this morning....

Heading towards Ardclough in Kildare on a nice descent and this idiot in a X5 decides to overtake two cyclists on a blind bend... Had to brake fairly hard - not a nice feeling seeing a big 4x4 coming in your direction. Scary...

I dont want to stereotype but....X5 drivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

How about if those of you who have camera footage or experiences of actual collisions and dangerous near misses were to send your stories/copies of the footage to the All Party Oireachtas Cycling Group which was relaunched recently? They might at least ask the Min for Justice a PQ or a series of them on the lines of "Is the Minister aware...." etc etc, "What plans does the Minister have to ensure ...? etc etc

The worst part about that video is the story that the guards didn't give a damn. That is very clearly, on video, dangerous driving. How on earth is that not the business of the guards? That would be the gist of my question to the minister.

It disgusts me that incidents like that are ignored. Apparently as policy. Then when someone is killed or crippled we get told "sure it's just a random accident, the driver is usually very good, we're not robots".

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    I dont want to stereotype but....X5 drivers...

I drive one...

Generalisations et al...:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement