Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

LpPepper wrote: »
    Another one this morning....

Heading towards Ardclough in Kildare on a nice descent and this idiot in a X5 decides to overtake two cyclists on a blind bend...

Way too frequent an occurrence...not only X5's mind!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Another one this morning....

Heading towards Ardclough in Kildare on a nice descent and this idiot in a X5 decides to overtake two cyclists on a blind bend... Had to brake fairly hard - not a nice feeling seeing a big 4x4 coming in your direction. Scary...

You need to anticipate this type of stuff more.

Your head down, ass up approach won't end well, like that time you rear ended a car.

Just because you can go downhill really fast, doesn't mean you have to, for obvious reasons.

Danger might be around any corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

You need to anticipate this type of stuff more.

Your head down, ass up approach won't end well, like that time you rear ended a car.

Just because you can go downhill really fast, doesn't mean you have to, for obvious reasons.

Danger might be around any corner.

Head wasn't down actually. Just got a new GoPro and only the first spin with it - pointed it down too much so looks like I am constantly looking down. I can assure you I was looking straight ahead...Why would I not look ahead on a descent?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The Beamer only comes into view of Pepper as it emerges behind the sign (YT can play at 1/4 speed btw) when its already mid overtake, cant fault him one bit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Head wasn't down actually. Just got a new GoPro and only the first spin with it - pointed it down too much so looks like I am constantly looking down. I can assure you I was looking straight ahead...Why would I not look ahead on a descent?

It's a turn of speech. it refers to your cycling style.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Was the great big "slow" sign heeded at all, as t doesn't look like it. Think there's a bit of give and take there to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

I'm actually out of his thread....
    I love cycling, leading a group of newbies ATM and have had many dodgy experiences over the last few weeks.....with three marshalls guiding 10/20 on group spins , the joys of the newbies outways the scares this thread has shown me.
    Don't get me wrong .... they happen ...it's not nice ....but it's get on with it or watch this and get scared to go out.....that was happening me.
    Anyways today we had 22 newbies complete a 120k spin all got home safe ...
    I pressed the button on the go pro several times but the memory card was in the pc.
    I remember nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cakewheels

moonshadow wrote: »
    I'm actually out of his thread....
    I love cycling, leading a group of newbies ATM and have had many dodgy experiences over the last few weeks.....with three marshalls guiding 10/20 on group spins , the joys of the newbies outways the scares this thread has shown me.
    Don't get me wrong .... they happen ...it's not nice ....but it's get on with it or watch this and get scared to go out.....that was happening me.
    Anyways today we had 22 newbies complete a 120k spin all got home safe ...
    I pressed the button on the go pro several times but the memory card was in the pc.
    I remember nothing.

Great you're leading newbies, I'm sure it is much appreciated! I also know what you mean about the thread, even though I don't think people should stop posting on it, as it could end up being valuable for various people in authority to get a better sense of what cyclists are facing. Re guiding 10/20 , - the maximum number of people in a single group is supposed to be 16. I was told this at a Cycling Ireland course and it was also mentioned that insurance may not even be valid when the group is over this number, but obviously I don't know if that part is true. Apologies if I've misunderstood and the groups you mentioned were already split up into less than this.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cakewheels wrote: »
    Great you're leading newbies, I'm sure it is much appreciated! I also know what you mean about the thread, even though I don't think people should stop posting on it, as it could end up being valuable for various people in authority to get a better sense of what cyclists are facing. Re guiding 10/20 , - the maximum number of people in a single group is supposed to be 16. I was told this at a Cycling Ireland course and it was also mentioned that insurance may not even be valid when the group is over this number, but obviously I don't know if that part is true. Apologies if I've misunderstood and the groups you mentioned were already split up into less than this.
    I have scrutinised various CI insurance documents and guidance. I've also contacted CI to clarify one or two issues. Never have I seen a limit of 16 in a group suggested. Indeed CI's very own event, the Great Dublin Bike Ride, had groups that vastly outnumbered 16 (and given the numbers taking part trying to impose groups of this size would be completely impractical as it would for most sportives). CI are not in a position to impose any such restriction without advising all clubs accordingly. Hence unless you can point to some specific official document laying this out, I do not believe any such restriction is in place

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Cakewheels wrote: »
    Re guiding 10/20 , - the maximum number of people in a single group is supposed to be 16. I was told this at a Cycling Ireland course and it was also mentioned that insurance may not even be valid when the group is over this number....

Be interested to see some links to the above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

HivemindXX wrote: »
    The worst part about that video is the story that the guards didn't give a damn. That is very clearly, on video, dangerous driving. How on earth is that not the business of the guards? That would be the gist of my question to the minister.

It's pure bollox isn't it, trying to fob it off as a civil matter. Careless driving at the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭plodder

Cycling down the hill through Garristown yesterday morning, a farmer in a jeep is pulling out from my left, I can see him check his left, but not his right where I'm coming from, starts to pull out, then sees me, decides to keep going, and we end up close enough so he can lip read the expletive I uttered at him. Didn't faze him in the slightest though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Had a car pull right out in front of me at outfarm lane, coming on to the Castleknock Road this morning. Driver saw a gap and gunned it - my flashing light of no use. It's located here. https://goo.gl/maps/B4aPhPV1Z6v

Driver was a school kid (wearing the local school uniform) - in a small Corsa, so presumably mammy's car.

The lane is located about 500 meters from the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Had a car pull right out in front of me at outfarm lane, coming on to the Castleknock Road this morning. Driver saw a gap and gunned it - my flashing light of no use. It's located here. https://goo.gl/maps/B4aPhPV1Z6v

Driver was a school kid (wearing the local school uniform) - in a small Corsa, so presumably mammy's car.

The lane is located about 500 meters from the school.

:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Report it to the school. We had a code of conduct expected in school uniform. They banned cars and tractors being used by students to get in and out eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

CramCycle wrote:
    They banned cars and tractors

Surely not commuting in the tractor!?

Had an incident last night where a passenger opened a door in traffic in phibsborough and I cycled into the door, luckily it was fully open and not me cycling into the sharp end of it.

The driver shouted at the passenger to close the door and took off. I caught up to him at glasnevin cemetery and gave him a pier of my mind, didn't catch the reg in my rage.

If he had said sorry are you ok at the time of the incident I would have said fine no problem, just check the mirror in future. I was livid he thought it ok to take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

VW 1 wrote: »
    Surely not commuting in the tractor!?

Video doing the rounds on FB last week of a lad with a 40 minute commute by tractor every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

ED E wrote: »
    Video doing the rounds on FB last week of a lad with a 40 minute commute by tractor every day.

I knew a lad in college who used to take the tractor into town on a Saturday night, he lived out in the sticks and didnt drink. So tractor in and tractor home.

You can drive a tractor at 16 so the lads with big farms thought it was a good way to go. They banned them from the school car park, then the NS car park down the road. Then they had to ask a neighbouring house would they ban them from the front of their house. Once they got past 200m walking, they all returned to using the bus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

had an elder gentlemen today think the bike lane at frascati was a normal road lane, so he drove his mini up until he got stuck :pac:

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    You can drive a tractor at 16 so the lads with big farms thought it was a good way to go. They banned them from the school car park, then the NS car park down the road. Then they had to ask a neighbouring house would they ban them from the front of their house. Once they got past 200m walking, they all returned to using the bus.

As cycling fashion spreads out into the countryside they may discover that they have legs…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used to have farmer johns tyres on my raleigh memphis, which were like tractor tyres. maybe they could start making them again, it might be popular among those kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Less of a near miss and more a close pass.

On the way home last night a motorist beeped and gestured gestured something to me while passing in the bus lane at about 17:45. It must take a special kind of arrogance to do that.

I caught up with him about 1km later and tried to talk to him but he wouldn't open his window. Coward.

Two close passes within a mere two minutes today on an actually mostly hassle free spin to Killiney & Dún Laoghaire...

Again the wide angle lens on my GoPro Session makes it look not as close as it actually was.

No effort to safely overtake at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭randomname2005

And the 1st one only had to wait a few car lengths before the traffic on the other side of the road was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

no they look plenty close enough tbf!

The issue with the first one is not the driver IMO but the cycle lane. People talk about the space they denote to you but all I see is the lack of space they give, while informing passing traffic, that it is OK once they are outside that line. I can understand why drivers do this so much when a cycle path is present.

CramCycle wrote: »
    The issue with the first one is not the driver IMO but the cycle lane. People talk about the space they denote to you but all I see is the lack of space they give, while informing passing traffic, that it is OK once they are outside that line. I can understand why drivers do this so much when a cycle path is present.

Yep people just assume that it's safe once you're inside that line and they're outside it, regardless of how close they actually might be to you...surely common sense or consideration would prevail but I guess not...

Yep people just assume that it's safe once you're inside that line and they're outside it, regardless of how close they actually might be to you...surely common sense or consideration would prevail but I guess not...

Funny thing about common sense, only a few of us seem to have it :pac:

• Advertisement

Did you not know that cycle lanes confer magical protection? Cars can't get into them (unless they're parking).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement