Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I actually cant say im surprised, part of the reason i dont cycle in as much on the n11 anymore is that school, i've had too many close calls with people pulling in and out

Schools are the worst - all consideration and decency seems to go out the window when it comes to dropping little Johnny or Mary from the back of mummies SUV.

I received a round robin text from our local school yesterday pleading with parents not to block the estate beside the school - it's a narrow winding cul-de-sac, but a magnet for mummies on the school run. People's cars regularly get trapped in their driveways, or else by cars trying to do a 3 point turn to exit the estate hold the whole show up. It's murder there in the morning and hilarious to see. The guards have had to be called to mediate in the past.

The ironic thing is that the local Spar facilitates parking for the school - but it's a 200 meter walk from there to the school. Probably as long as they're driving. So a bit much to expect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I actually cant say im surprised, part of the reason i dont cycle in as much on the n11 anymore is that school, i've had too many close calls with people pulling in and out
    Shown to me by one of the parents when we were having a talk about schools and traffic. She even admits and fully accepts it is wrong but isn't going to stop using it.
    Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Schools are the worst - all consideration and decency seems to go out the window when it comes to dropping little Johnny or Mary from the back of mummies SUV.
    Not always mummy, Mount Anville sorted their sh1t out for a short while, so no parents often drop at the end of the road and let the kids walk up on their own and the drive in, drive out looked promising but then Daddy Porsche used to pull up around a few minutes to 8 and stop on the road. Stopping traffic and making access difficult. This meant that if the cars behind where not school run cars, they would follow suit, within 2 minutes (probably less), Fosters Avenue is gridlocked.
    I received a round robin text from our local school yesterday pleading with parents not to block the estate beside the school - it's a narrow winding cul-de-sac, but a magnet for mummies on the school run. People's cars regularly get trapped in their driveways, or else by cars trying to do a 3 point turn to exit the estate hold the whole show up. It's murder there in the morning and hilarious to see. The guards have had to be called to mediate in the past.
    I have heard people (one on here) being blocked in to their driveway while someone dumped the car to walk the final 100m to the school. They just need an undercover Garda to do a walk around randomly every two weeks. Warn the school it is coming. Undoubtedly it will bring bad will to the Gardai but it will serve it's purpose.
    The ironic thing is that the local Spar facilitates parking for the school - but it's a 200 meter walk from there to the school. Probably as long as they're driving. So a bit much to expect.
    That's twice what Usain Bolt is known for running, do you think my child is a double olympian :pac:

I have to say the school I used to live beside seemed more sensible, with a large number of students walking in at primary and secondary level but still alot of drop offs by parents who lived less than 500m away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Surprised no other pedant hasn't pointed this out before but this is one of the (thankfully) few "near misses". Technically, all the others are near collisions.

Sorry!

Engage pedant mode!

A 'near miss' in this context is a miss which is near to you rather than far away from you. In this use of the idiom a 'near collision' makes no sense. 'I nearly collided with the ice cream van' is what you're thinking of.

Disengage pedant mode!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

check_six wrote: »
    Engage pedant mode!

A 'near miss' in this context is a miss which is near to you rather than far away from you. In this use of the idiom a 'near collision' makes no sense. 'I nearly collided with the ice cream van' is what you're thinking of.

Disengage pedant mode!

** Engage pedant mode v1.0 **

Surely it's a 'near hit'

** /close pedant mode v1.0 **
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

out of interest what software do people use to edit footage? mine record in mp4 & avi and a couple of editors i've downloaded weren't up to much...

For simple work you can download "Windows Movie Maker".
    Not a lot of functionality but free and easy to use.
    Good enough for most basic editing.

Just google how to be able to edit "Full HD" footage, Microsoft disabled it by default.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

V-man wrote: »
    For simple work you can download "Windows Movie Maker".
    Not a lot of functionality but free and easy to use.
    Good enough for most basic editing.

Just google how to be able to edit "Full HD" footage, Microsoft disabled it by default.

had tried that recently but seems to be hard to download now that it's gone out of support by microsoft. might have another look at it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CramCycle wrote: »
    They have a what's app group to warn of garda checkpoints there.
    Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    That's nuts! I suppose all are cars emblazoned with the usual "Baby on Board" stickers too ?

What would their WhatsApp group say about a line of cyclists cycling very slowly in the bike lane, just close enough together to stop any car cutting through from the bus lane to the school?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

had tried that recently but seems to be hard to download now that it's gone out of support by microsoft. might have another look at it tonight.

Here you go!
    Windows Essentials 2012 Microsoft Offline Installer (movie maker is part of it)

[URL="Universal English: http://web.archive.org/web/20170112124505/http://wl.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/C/1/B/C1BA42D6-6A50-4A4A-90E5-FA9347E9360C/en/wlsetup-all.exe"]Universal English:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20170112124505/http://wl.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/C/1/B/C1BA42D6-6A50-4A4A-90E5-FA9347E9360C/en/wlsetup-all.exe[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    ** Engage pedant mode v1.0 **

Surely it's a 'near hit'

** /close pedant mode v1.0 **
    :pac:

No, I don't think so.

This works:
    "The giant ape threw an exploding barrel at me. It missed, but it landed near me. It was a near miss."

This doesn't:
    "The juvenile dragon breathed a firey blast in my direction. It hit me square in the big toe. It was a hit. It was near the rest of me. It was a near hit."

This does again:
    "The juvenile dragon breathed a firey blast in my direction. It missed me. It nearly hit me."

So 'a near miss' and 'it nearly hit me' are roughly equivalent, but in this sense a 'near hit' is still a hit, but nearer to... I dunno... something more vital?

What would their WhatsApp group say about a line of cyclists cycling very slowly in the bike lane, just close enough together to stop any car cutting through from the bus lane to the school?

I imagine nothing, they just want to know can they skip up the bus lane for a good stretch without getting hauled in by the Garda that is sometimes slightly further up the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

the issue here though is that the ROTR is not the law.
    that said, i do try to be courteous to buses. what goes around, etc.

"The wheels on the bus go...":p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

at some point we need to reset and remember that we're in a thread discussing near misses. it seems to get derailed very frequently!

I imagine nothing, they just want to know can they skip up the bus lane for a good stretch without getting hauled in by the Garda that is sometimes slightly further up the road.
    If there are enough cyclists to make it difficult or impossible for them to get from the bus lane into the school, they might perhaps have something to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Dave_White

Weepsie wrote: »
    Is that the Junction with Belvedere road? Always someone second guessing lights there, or getting caught or gunning it but never quite know which whey they'll come from.

yup. that's the one

MOD VOICE: Bus discussion moved to another thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Dave_White wrote: »
    This morning about 6.30. Coming down NCR , just past Dorset street. I was going straight on a green light, a driver from oncoming traffic did not yield turning to his right (my left). Did not saw him until it was too late. Just got slightly sprained foot, some bruises and serious case of blues about the bike.

Looking at it now it seems like very close call.

Jake down!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

If there are enough cyclists to make it difficult or impossible for them to get from the bus lane into the school, they might perhaps have something to day.
    If you're looking for material for this thread, that looks like the way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Dave_White

Jake down!! :(

Hopefully to be replaced with another kona if I can. Waiting for estimate from bike shop and Gardai and insurance calls. It being weekend, things don't exactly move fast, eh.

Approaching the right turn at holles st hospital, a bus was approaching to turn right heading towards lesson st. Its a staggered junction of sorts so you have to by pass each other a bit to turn. As I approach at quite a slow speed he decided to go for it. At this stage I had cars undertaking on my left and a few cyclists in near proximity so no excuse. If he didn't see me there were plenty of others around. I let a roar as.I am about to head but a bus and I swerve left. Lucky for me the car beside me slammed on when the bus went for it. I remember the look in the bus drivers eye as I passed. He looked at me like a person looks at dog sh1t they just stepped in. Absolute disgust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Approaching the right turn at holles st hospital, a bus was approaching to turn right heading towards lesson st. Its a staggered junction of sorts so you have to by pass each other a bit to turn. As I approach at quite a slow speed he decided to go for it. At this stage I had cars undertaking on my left and a few cyclists in near proximity so no excuse. If he didn't see me there were plenty of others around. I let a roar as.I am about to head but a bus and I swerve left. Lucky for me the car beside me slammed on when the bus went for it. I remember the look in the bus drivers eye as I passed. He looked at me like a person looks at dog sh1t they just stepped in. Absolute disgust.

I used to have that junction on my commute, always an absolute ****show.

It frustrates me so much when a motorist in the wrong gives cyclists **** for getting in the way of their wrongdoing. Goes to show the lack of respect they have for cyclists. Had a fiesta tailgate me down the north quays yesterday morning. Gave me the finger and pointed to the kerb while shouting something inaudible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Came down church Street onto the quays. Red light so I was stopped.

There was a long lorry coming down indicating to turn left. Due to it length and the turn being very tight., it was in the middle lane.

He had more or less stopped and started to turn the whole cab section.

Cyclist decided to pass him on his left.

I had to point and shout at the cyclist to tell him to stop which he eventually did half way down the length of the lorry.

Fair play to the lorry driver who I think did seen and blew the horn

The cyclist got off his bike and went onto the curb.

The lorry took his right turn. The cyclist got on his bike and continued on his way down the quays.

When he went past me, I told him he needs to be more careful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I see this almost every day. The stupidity of it blows my mind. What do people think is gonna happen? I think a lot more education is needed on that front, for both cyclists and cars around HGV's. Also hate seeing buses and HGV's that can't turn left because some dick has decided to park a full car length over the stop line too. Stop lines are advisory and subjective it seems :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

A close one this morning heading out of Templeogue village towards Spawell. The driver made no proper effort to overtake even though there was no oncoming traffic at all....

LpPepper wrote: »
    A close one this morning heading out of Templeogue village towards Spawell. The driver made no proper effort to overtake even though there was no oncoming traffic at all....
    Understandable though - those speed bumps and chicanes in the village must have cost him at least 0.2 seconds on his journey, so he had to make up that time somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

2eqOA1v.png

Really those lanes are stupid, lots of them in SDCCs domain. Maybe if they werent there motorists would individually judge rather than the "Im not in the lane so its grand" attitude.

ED E wrote: »
    2eqOA1v.png

Really those lanes are stupid, lots of them in SDCCs domain. Maybe if they werent there motorists would individually judge rather than the "Im not in the lane so its grand" attitude.

Yep they're pretty stupid really - and exactly, they give drivers a false sense of security. The worst patch of them is heading towards Kimmage on Wainsfort Road - the road is way too narrow....

LpPepper wrote: »
    Yep they're pretty stupid really - and exactly, they give drivers a false sense of security. The worst patch of them is heading towards Kimmage on Wainsfort Road - the road is way too narrow....

Ill see your Wainsfort Rd and raise you one Willbrook Rd.

3goZ02w.png

ED E wrote: »
    Ill see your Wainsfort Rd and raise you one Willbrook Rd.

3goZ02w.png

Touché.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's going on there anyway? did they lay a new, wider lane (with red paint) on top of the old one, which is now wearing through again?

• Advertisement

Not sure actually, its near me but I go other routes as its a bit of a death trap with loads of blind driveways.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement