Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

ED E wrote: »
    You didnt need to finish that sentence.

Can you clarify this comment please? I'm not sure if you mean that the lack of a dick makes the lady unable to control her vehicle properly or that the existence of an SUV renders the driver incapable of properly interacting with society?

Also, if the former, can you point out where the dick-operated controls are? I've never come across such controls in any vehicle that I've operated...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

check_six wrote: »
    Thank goodness that vehicle has bull bars on the front for negotiating the urban jungle. Will come in handy when they have their inevitable series of crashes.

I used to see one far worse, where they had mounted metal huge bull horns to the front of the car. You'd get impaled on it if there was an accident involving something(someone) squishy!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Can you clarify this comment please? I'm not sure if you mean that the lack of a dick makes the lady unable to control her vehicle properly or that the existence of an SUV renders the driver incapable of properly interacting with society?

Also, if the former, can you point out where the dick-operated controls are? I've never come across such controls in any vehicle that I've operated...

Well good morning to you too snowflake.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    FYP - if you watch any of the 'near misses' video clips shared on this thread you'll find plenty of overtakes that were done too quickly and involved swerving. If that wasn't happening then this thread wouldn't exist.

But whatevs.....its nonsense stuff, the cyclists are all imagining it - the viewcams are obviously imagining it too.

I was replying directly to what you said I didn't mention anything about cyclists imagining anything. So please don't completely change your point when you are shown to be talking nonsense. This is what you said:

"If you are swerving and accelerating at the same time, its difficult to control a vehicle.

Try it some time. Go to a roundabout - try to drive around it at 50k an hour, go around it two or three times."

Again I never said anything about bad overtakes happening , I cycle and drive, I see them.
    I was literally pointing out that what you said simply should not be true for a driver who has passed their test. It's called basic progressive driving.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

cdaly_ wrote: »

Seriously? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I used to see one far worse, where they had mounted metal huge bull horns to the front of the car. You'd get impaled on it if there was an accident involving something(someone) squishy!

Bull bars should be illegal, no need for these in an urban situation. Lethal for pedestrians and cyclists, especially in the manner inn which people drive these vehicles. But hey, if you're navigating the vast safari that is Ranelagh or Castleknock, maybe they're required.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/modified-cars-and-trucks-could-now-be-seized-under-rsa-plans-29053591.html

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Well thats just ridiculous. not sure how a spoiler or lowering a car ever hurt anyone. Sounds like a money making racket to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Seriously? :confused:
    well, i read it and thought 'that quote is a little unfortunate', but didn't put it down to any malice or deliberate intent to sound like a 'bloody women drivers' comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Chiparus wrote: »
    This morning I had a driver that tried to overtake me coming to a roundabout. then swerved in front of me, then got upset when I still managed to be in front of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0KcXKKVQrU
    That's a suicidal move for a cyclist to do - it doesn't matter if the car driver's move was stupid - you are setting yourself to be side-swiped or squeezed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Roadhawk wrote: »
    Well thats just ridiculous. not sure how a spoiler or lowering a car ever hurt anyone. Sounds like a money making racket to me.

Once again, I completely disagree with you. If you want to go to a track day, by all means, but not on a public road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Roadhawk wrote: »

Well I've seen some motorists in modified vehicles behaving recklessly and dangerously so it's probably safer to just ban all modifications, or else pass legislation to make it onerous to use such a vehicle on public roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

axer wrote: »
    That's a suicidal move for a cyclist to do - it doesn't matter if the car driver's move was stupid - you are setting yourself to be side-swiped or squeezed.

I thought that too when I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

They mention bull bars in the modifications. They really should have been done away with years ago. They serve no purpose other than cosmetic in Ireland, and they undo all the harm-reduction shaping of the front of the car.

On the other hand, I like people being able to make harmless cosmetic changes themselves and do basic maintenance. I suppose the question is who gets to judge a change is harmless. I guess if you're into customising vehicles, stick to bicycles, maybe.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    RSA kiteflying from 2013. If nothing has been implemented by now, there's no chance of anything happening with Stepaside Shane in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

RSA kiteflying from 2013. If nothing has been implemented by now, there's no chance of anything happening with Stepaside Shane in charge.

lol Stepaside Shane! One steps out and one steps in again…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Another close pass, 2nd bus gave me plenty of room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBasOR36p7o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Ah sure that line painted on the road magically protects you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Coming home today at about 7pm south through Coolmine level crossing.
    At about maybe 10 metres out the level crossing lights started to flash amber, figured I'd make it easily so kept going.

There's a narrow bridge here too and as I came into its aperture some utter gob****e in a mustard coloured Yaris shot along side me pinning me between the bridge wall and the side of his car with millimetres to spare and then slammed on the brakes when I roared at them. Scared the ****e out me and I almost lost control of the bike so decided to keep going.

Normally I take the lane going through here because it's so narrow and people are idiots around level crossings but this time I wasn't too far out. This idiot came out of nowhere and probably would have ploughed into the back of my super bright flashing SeeSense lights.

https://m.imgur.com/a/kYZhH

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Solid white line, oncoming traffic, and roadworks on the left. Nothing was getting in this guys way!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r47h5w0jw8h9rk9/GP021569%5B2%5D.mp4?dl=0

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Solid white line, oncoming traffic, and roadworks on the left. Nothing was getting in this guys way!

That was nuts, I wouldn't have liked to be one of the drivers on the other side of the road with him coming towards me!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

5uspect wrote: »
    Coming home today at about 7pm south through Coolmine level crossing.
    i remember the days before they built the pedestrian bridge there. god knows what it'd be like now without it.

Not me because I don't have a bicycle, but 07Lapierre's example above reminded me of it. Coming from the airport towards Kilshane Cross this afternoon, around 12:20. Where the bends start, I pass a chap on a MTB coming the other direction. Turn the next bend and there's an artic coming the other direction at full steam and accelerating hard. I remember thinking about the chap on the bike and hoping that he'd be okay.

So not a near miss, as I didn't see it, but an assumed near miss.

That was nuts, I wouldn't have liked to be one of the drivers on the other side of the road with him coming towards me!

At that section of road, it's a regular occurrence with cars, but this was the first HGV!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That's just crazy carry on. That driver should be getting a call from the boys in blue!
    Good picture. What camera are you using?

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    That's just crazy carry on. That driver should be getting a call from the boys in blue!
    Good picture. What camera are you using?

Gopro session.
    Settings: 1080x25 (Wide)

I suspect the motorists were thinking...."bloody cyclist! Forcing that poor truck driver onto the wrong side of the road!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Not me because I don't have a bicycle, but 07Lapierre's example above reminded me of it. Coming from the airport towards Kilshane Cross this afternoon, around 12:20. Where the bends start, I pass a chap on a MTB coming the other direction. Turn the next bend and there's an artic coming the other direction at full steam and accelerating hard. I remember thinking about the chap on the bike and hoping that he'd be okay.

So not a near miss, as I didn't see it, but an assumed near miss.
    I usually flash (with my lights) oncoming traffic in similar situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Anyone know the best contact for bus eireann express way buses? Driver this morning on the horn as I wasn't in a cycle lane on N11 (200m stretch just before left turn to Stillorgan shopping centre going city bound, bad conditions didn't fancy mounting multiple curbs). Proceeded to lean on the horn the next 2 times he wanted to close overtake me also (no cycle lane present - just bus lane).

Remembered reg of bus to forward them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

At that section of road, it's a regular occurrence with cars, but this was the first HGV!
    Know it well. It's not wide enough for an HGV there at the best of times, but that was incredibly reckless.

• Advertisement

I usually flash (with my lights) oncoming traffic in similar situations.
    Didn't think of that. It's a good idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement