Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jive wrote: »
    Anyone know the best contact for bus eireann express way buses? Driver this morning on the horn as I wasn't in a cycle lane on N11 (200m stretch just before left turn to Stillorgan shopping centre going city bound, bad conditions didn't fancy mounting multiple curbs). Proceeded to lean on the horn the next 2 times he wanted to close overtake me also (no cycle lane present - just bus lane).

Remembered reg of bus to forward them.

Call traffic watch. That'll trickle down to him from his boss quite quickly. That or twitter can have positive results.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    FYP - if you watch any of the 'near misses' video clips shared on this thread you'll find plenty of overtakes that were done too quickly and involved swerving. If that wasn't happening then this thread wouldn't exist.

But whatevs.....its nonsense stuff, the cyclists are all imagining it - the viewcams are obviously imagining it too.

Cement truck this morning coming onto a roundabout I was already on, had to slam on. He never seen me despite me looking him square in the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Chiparus wrote: »
    Another close pass, 2nd bus gave me plenty of room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBasOR36p7o

jesus that's brutal. have you reported it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

ED E wrote: »
    Call traffic watch. That'll trickle down to him from his boss quite quickly. That or twitter can have positive results.

Reported to traffic watch, cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't see any point - the bus driver will be able to point out 'i was clear of the line marking the cycle lane'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

i don't see any point - the bus driver will be able to point out 'i was clear of the line marking the cycle lane'.

I was thinking the same. Frustrating isn't it? :mad:

I'ts a good example of Bad Cycling infrastructure being worse than no cycling infrastructure at all!

Deedsie wrote: »
    There is a continuous (****ty) "cycle track" all the way from Stillorgan to Donnybrook. Just if you are reporting the incident to AGS, might be better to be as accurate as possible?

Aye you're right, I think one was actually just after the lights before the Teresian school and the other one was in Donnybrook itself - hard to remember exactly to be honest.

It's more the fact it was like monsoon season out there at 7.30am and he was trying to startle someone on a bike with the horn travelling at 40 kmph odd with a bus 10m behind; there was actually someone who had a fall across from the Radisson which blocked that cycle lane as others had stopped to help, I was in the cycle lane behind the bus stop and nearly had to jam on afterwards as I knew he wouldn't anticipate me going around them into the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

so why not try and see what the gardai say?
    all motorists are required to drive with due consideration for other road users, which is demonstrably absent in this case. been plenty of examples in this thread over the last few months of garda follow-up on similar incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Now waiting since last Wednesday since my call to Trafficwatch for a call from a Garda. Is this typical?

I know the spot well. Cycle it everyday, never use the cycle lane between the top of Nutley lane until after Teresian school. It's an awful stretch.

Drivers seem to actually drive worse and more aggressively in awful conditions. It's crazy when you think about that for a second

Yeah that stretch is a disaster, you wouldn't drive an off road vehicle on it nevermind a bicycle! I usually use the bit city bound before Stillorgan turn off although it is not great, decided against it in these conditions (leaves, curbs, wet, no thanks) and it's not exactly a long stretch plus you are travelling at speed downhill.

Nutley lane southbound and city bound both do my head in, I reluctantly use the bad stretch southbound now because staying out of it is not worth the stress. Other than those bits it's not so bad!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Now waiting since last Wednesday since my call to Trafficwatch for a call from a Garda. Is this typical?

Typical probably depends heavily on which Garda administrative area you're in.
    I know the spot well. Cycle it everyday, never use the cycle lane between the top of Nutley lane until after Teresian school. It's an awful stretch.

Drivers seem to actually drive worse and more aggressively in awful conditions. It's crazy when you think about that for a second

Says a lot that we put a door zone trap right outside a school. No wonder kids dont cycle much anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well I have reported it to Traffic Watch, waiting to hear from (presumably) Blackrock Garda. Could be waiting.

I gave up going into Blackrock Garda station as nothing ever came of it, I felt like a nuisance to them. Not one bit helpful, no recommendations, nothing, "do you have any witnesses". Like wtf? I started calling traffic watch which was like dealing with a completely different

The last straw was when some scumbag drive up onto the side of my car when my girlfriend parked my car in Superquinn (now Supervalue in Blackrock village) I was away with work and reported it to the Guard the day after. I just gave my name and number just in case anybody witnessed it. He didn't check with anybody and just said nobody came forward. A couple of days later I went back to check again and the Guard lied to my face, he said he checked the carparks CCTV... I didn't give him a time or location of the car. That's when I knew I wouldn't be back there again.

Bypass your local Garda station as they are not interested what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I emailed the bus company and await their response.

I waited for weeks before I received a call back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Nutley lane to Nutley Park Southbound is without a doubt the worst section of cycle track in Dublin City Council area if not in the entire country. It is shamefully bad.

The N11 "cycle-drain" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

What the...*sigh* Such a silly manoeuvre on your part. You put yourself in that dangerous situation.
    This morning I had a driver that tried to overtake me coming to a roundabout. then swerved in front of me, then got upset when I still managed to be in front of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0KcXKKVQrU

What the...*sigh* Such a silly manoeuvre on your part. You put yourself in that dangerous situation.

I was coming to the junction , the driver tried to overtake me, could not complete the overtake, but cut across me all the same then got upset when i continued on my way.
    They would not have tried that manoeuvre if I as driving one of my cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I agree the driver was at fault for not trying to over take you so close to a roundabout. However you must have seen what the driver was doing/going to do and yet you continued to squeeze along the left side of the car. A silly move IMHO.
    I was coming to the junction , the driver tried to overtake me, could not complete the overtake, but cut across me all the same then got upset when i continued on my way.
    They would not have tried that manoeuvre if I as driving one of my cars.

I agree the driver was at fault for not trying to over take you so close to a roundabout. However you must have seen what the driver was doing/going to do and yet you continued to squeeze along the left side of the car. A silly move IMHO.

I suppose you are right , when I am a cyclist, I should not get in the way.

The driver was annoyed as they could not completely cut me off. Hence the beep.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

I was out earlier for a shortish spin given that the weather was staying pretty decent. For the most part drivers of all kinds were being patient and giving me decent space when overtaking...then came along this guy...

He made no attempt to overtake safely and it felt like he swerved back in quite swiftly towards me - the video does seem to show this. Pissed me off. Going to send it to the company and see what they think of their driver's expert skills.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On a more positive note, and therefore off topic. I rolled upto a white van man with his windows down in stalled traffic. I just wanted to check was I heading the right way. He was not from around here but we chatted for a few minutes, which ended in him regaling me with a classic Wexford song as gaeilge. Just really lifted my spirits, how nice we can be in heavy traffic with such little effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

Also on a positive note, kudos to the Dublin bus driver on Griffith Ave this morning who slowed down and waited to let me pass a car parked in the cycle lane. He had just let a couple of cars exit the school, so was obviously feeling well disposed towards fellow man. Either way, it was appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

plodder wrote: »
    Also on a positive note, kudos to the Dublin bus driver on Griffith Ave this morning who slowed down and waited to let me pass a car parked in the cycle lane. He had just let a couple of cars exit the school, so was obviously feeling well disposed towards fellow man. Either way, it was appreciated.

It's gotten to a stage were we thank behavior from motorists which should be the norm. That's really upsetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

It's gotten to a stage were we thank behavior from motorists which should be the norm. That's really upsetting.
    In this case, he would have been within his rights to keep going because I was along side him/undertaking and I would have waited until he passed the car. Probably should have made that more clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

That's one way of looking at it. Another is that the thread is mostly negative reports of bad driver behaviour towards cyclists, so posting an occasional positive report is welcome.

It doesn't mean that these are the only positive acts towards cyclists every day, nor does is mean that the norm is that drivers generally behave badly towards cyclists. Statistically, this could very well be a record of the exception rather than the norm.

Put it this way, if you listened to Joe Duffy all your life you might form the opinion that the world is a dark and miserable place where all people do is moan and have bad experiences. That's not my experience of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Positive reinforcement!
    Reinforcers: Responses from the environment that increase the probability of a behavior being repeated. Reinforcers can be either positive or negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Positive reinforcement!
    Reinforcers: Responses from the environment that increase the probability of a behavior being repeated. Reinforcers can be either positive or negative.

I don't commute by bike, I spend my time in the saddle in the hills of Dublin and Wicklow. I try to make a point of giving a little wave when someone holds back to overtake safely.
    Meant as a 'Sorry I kept you, thanks for waiting' to the driver.

I suppose I'm hoping to create a little bubble of good karma around me as I search in vain for a lower gear..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

cjt156 wrote: »
    I don't commute by bike, I spend my time in the saddle in the hills of Dublin and Wicklow. I try to make a point of giving a little wave when someone holds back to overtake safely.

I suppose I'm hoping to create a little bubble of good karma around me as I search in vain for a lower gear..

I do the same, both in the hills and around the city. It makes everyone feel better, and I feel that it helps break down the stereotype of Us v's Them, and helps drivers see cyclists as decent human beings, rather than the enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

cjt156 wrote: »

I do the same, both in the hills and around the city. It makes everyone feel better, and I feel that it helps break down the stereotype of Us v's Them, and helps drivers see cyclists as decent human beings, rather than the enemy.

Yep likewise, this morning a driver stayed behind me on the r149 until we reached the roundabout - unheard of (even though it's a blind bend with solid white line). I turned around and saluted him as we came onto a two lane roundabout and he was finally able to pass me in safety (I did speed up on the road so as not to delay him too long). And again a woman driver stayed behind me on the ramps coming through Rosedale until we all got to the lights, I waved her past at that point and thanked her. Actually, thinking about it, I had a lovely cycle in this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yes absolutely, I try and thank people for being patient with a thumbs up when they pass if I can. Obviously not always, but I do think it is a good way to reinforce good practise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement