Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Pedestrian, cyclist, animal etc, cross the white line when you're sure it's safe.

Edit, Cannon was unashamedly truthful in describing how he has no trouble taking and holding his road space, and telling idiot listeners what motor tax actually is when they started texting in about road tax. Nice to hear a member of government not trying to sit on both sides of the fence for once on this topic.
    It was also interesting to note that Matt didn't feel obliged to drag in Conor 'can I sell you a car-related insurance product' Faughnan or gob****e John McGurk or some other dinosaur for 'balance'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Chuchote wrote: »
    Tax and insurance should be added to the price of fuel; it would stop this crap.

Not sure that would work.
    I have full no claims bonus on my car insurance and would have to pay the same for my insurance as a learner driver. I don't think that would be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

He was trying to remind and embarrass FF I'd say, reminding them that they had the same idea in their manifesto in case they had any idea now of opposing it because it was proposed by a FG TD, though not by the government.

Re your idea of ridiculing the helmet and high-viz proponents, it's one approach but not the only one, it's frustrating when progress is at snail's pace if even that but perhaps alienating the people whose support you need isn't always clever and there's more than one way to skin a cat..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Lumen wrote: »
    RTE toilets?
    That trailed off in 2010.

Gerry.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I have full no claims bonus on my car insurance and would have to pay the same for my insurance as a learner driver. I don't think that would be fair.

Surely it can be worked in as a tax credit or something.

It would insure the tens of thousands uninsured instantly and should bring costs down

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

AFAIK most 'insurance on petrol' models only provide third party insurance - most people would be paying for comprehensive separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

AFAIK most 'insurance on petrol' models only provide third party insurance - most people would be paying for comprehensive separately.

I still wouldn't want to pay the same for 3rd party insurance as a learner driver, or a driver with 9 penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I still wouldn't want to pay the same for 3rd party insurance as a learner driver, or a driver with 9 penalty points.

I am not familiar with the workings of the pay as you go insurance but there has to be some way that drivers with loadings are charged / penalised. It sounds like a good idea to have all this centralised in one way but I don't see it being workable/ legal under EU Law. Is it not state intervention in the insurance market/ unfair / restrictive ? ANPR that has timely and accurate information will work when it is introduced in 2019. It's a joke they we in Ireland have to wait so long for technology that is now tried, tested and widely deployed in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Insurance is high partly because so many people are skiving off and not paying. If it was on the fuel it would be cheaper; you'd pay more if you drove more, but everyone would pay.

I think it actually is charged on fuel in some country/countries, but maybe it's tax only.

You could likely to have a less likely to have an accident wife fill up the the car but I get the idea in linking insurance to fuel. Everyone would have to pay. Proper IT system in place and linking cars to a card and drivers or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

You could do what they do in Australia where 3rd party insurance is included in your car tax ( rego), insurance companies tender to provide this 3rd party insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Tangentially on-topic, I've started commuting on my road-bike after a 10-month hiatus due to a bad crash killing my old frame.

At the point of the crash, every day this week, I've been super-sketchy on the brakes and hyper-vigilant before even consciously aware of where I am :) I'm still living that crash in some corner of my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Guy in an audi this morning, cut in front of me when I was going through a green light at this junction. He turned right, into a queue of traffic..

https://goo.gl/maps/vn87Lj3ecHw

He gave me a friendly wave as if you say "sorry, didn't see see your flashing 200 lumen strobe". I reciprocated "yeah it's only a matter of time before you kill someone with that driving".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had a funny crash on that road years ago - cycling home from school, on the footpath (because it was snowing) and crossed the end of a driveway - but the path was sloped up to the driveway, so my front wheel slid out from under me, straight into my friend aidan's front wheel, and we both took a right old pratfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Coming up Grace Park road yesterday morning towards Collins Avenue. Not really room to pass but cars do attempt it when there is a gap in oncoming traffic. I has passed a large BMW 640 something or other at the lights further back and saw him in my mirror behind me.

Expecting the worst I took the lane but he sat patiently behind me and when there was a gap overtook me with plenty of room.

Passed him again at lights at Collins avenue but again after a few cars had squeezed passed me he was behind me. Again he waited and passed safely.

When I caught him again at Swords Road I passed him on his drivers side. He had his window open so I remarked that he was a very polite and courteous driver.

"Thank you" he said and we both went on our way feeling happy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

i had a funny crash on that road years ago - cycling home from school, on the footpath (because it was snowing) and crossed the end of a driveway - but the path was sloped up to the driveway, so my front wheel slid out from under me, straight into my friend aidan's front wheel, and we both took a right old pratfall.

Ha, classic Aidan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I has passed a large BMW 640 he sat patiently behind me and when there was a gap overtook me with plenty of room.
    Again he waited and passed safely.

"Thank you" he said and we both went on our way feeling happy:)

BMW driver in courteous/good driving headline shocker :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I think Audi is the new BMW these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I think Audi is the new BMW these days.

I think the Audi generalisation is misplaced

(Hides Audi keys)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Not as rare as you think! (I have one :D )

Some people in mid-priced or economy brands of vehicles have a lot to learn on the courtesy and respect aspects of driving...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

So, having waited since last Wednesday week for a Garda to ring me regarding the near miss on June 20th, I rang Traffic Watch back who said to get in contact with Blackrock. No record there but apparently that may be because no-one assigned to it yet. So a potentially dangerous driver driving around for an additional 10 days without the Garda talking to him. What his memory of the incident is likely to be now is anyone's guess - not that it would make much odds anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

So, having waited since last Wednesday week for a Garda to ring me regarding the near miss on June 20th, I rang Traffic Watch back who said to get in contact with Blackrock. No record there but apparently that may be because no-one assigned to it yet. So a potentially dangerous driver driving around for an additional 10 days without the Garda talking to him. What his memory of the incident is likely to be now is anyone's guess - not that it would make much odds anyway.

Yeah it's shame alright. My Neighbour called 999 during the week when he saw someone breaking into another neighbours house. Alarm going off, actually saw the guy enter. Gardai arrived 1 hr later. They're really stretched so unfortunately won't prioritise road incidents like yours :(

my opinion of the handling of incidents by the gardai is not exactly sky high - we arrived on the scene of an accident on a motorway a few years back - we did not witness the actual accident itself - and when the attending garda (later found out he was a super) asked me, i explicitly told him i had no reason to believe the motorist was speeding.
    when we were called to make a statement several months later (in front of a different garda), the super had written down that we had told him we had witnessed the motorist driving at excessive and dangerous speed. which we'd been at pains to point out was not the case.

the garda we gave the statement to said the super had probably been hoping to build a dangerous driving case based on our statements, but we'd blown that out of the water. and didn't seem to think there was anything unusual in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

my opinion of the handling of incidents by the gardai is not exactly sky high - we arrived on the scene of an accident on a motorway a few years back - we did not witness the actual accident itself - and when the attending garda (later found out he was a super) asked me, i explicitly told him i had no reason to believe the motorist was speeding.
    when we were called to make a statement several months later (in front of a different garda), the super had written down that we had told him we had witnessed the motorist driving at excessive and dangerous speed. which we'd been at pains to point out was not the case.

the garda we gave the statement to said the super had probably been hoping to build a dangerous driving case based on our statements, but we'd blown that out of the water. and didn't seem to think there was anything unusual in it.

Made a statement years back about an armed robbery where I worked and they were trying to ham it up quite a bit. To be honest, the lads that robbed the place were quite nice about it which sounds odd, but I think the gardai needed proper "fearing for my life" quotes for it. :D

Anyway, sorry for pulling the thread off topic about Gardai, here's a video I spotted on reddit of a cyclist being undertaken. Cyclist has a great attitude and doesn't go mental, something I can struggle with a little

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

can't believe he pulled off that move at the end and included it in the video. Overtake into oncoming traffic to save himself a few seconds.

Fairly standard filtering for the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fairly standard filtering for the UK.
    It's not called the "coroner's corridor" for nothing.

Hah, I'd never heard that before! :p

Almost hit by a white van in the Phoenix Park outside Farmleigh on Saturday. He was overtaking too closely and "completed" the manoeuvre before he had fully cleared me. There was oncoming traffic as well.

Not a near miss, but we had a car driving up the new two-way segregated track on Military Road as well. He kept saying "I know, I know". If you know you're in the wrong, why do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Not a near miss, but we had a car driving up the new two-way segregated track on Military Road as well. He kept saying "I know, I know". If you know you're in the wrong, why do it?

Did he at least have his hazards on? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Because you're bone selfish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement