Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

RayCun wrote: »
    Back in my courier days, I'd love the parents crossing the road when the cars were stopped (but the bikes weren't), and leading with the buggies :rolleyes:

This drives my wife to distraction, really cracks her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I've always found the Ranger vehicles in the Phoenix Park to be amazingly lackadaisical when it comes to cyclists. Had one of them left hook me without warning, across the cycle path in front of the Aras, on Monday morning. He was travelling the same direction as me, city bound, me decked out with a bright flashing red. He just cut across without any indication and into the Aras. Maybe Michael D was having some sort of emergency..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Vel wrote: »
    Coming down the Clonskeagh Road heading around towards Ranelagh yesterday morning when a car pulls right in out front of me from a side road at the very last minute and then stops with the end of her car in the bike lane. I had to slam on brakes and nearly went into the back of her. She was totally oblivious as she had very important matters to attend to on her mobile phone. Reg noted and call logged with Trafficwatch this morning. I’m not holding my breath but would love if someone could pop out and remind this bloody bint in her black bmw (ah I love a bit of alliteration!) about the mobile phone laws!

Small update.

Rang Trafficwatch at 9am yesterday.

By 5pm I had a call from the Sergeant at the local station. He clarified a few details, explained the procedure and also the limitations when it is one word against another, but advised that he has assigned the case to one of the Guards and she will be in touch with me today and we will discuss options.

First time using Trafficwatch and impressed so far.

We shall see!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So as I travelled up the N11, coming to a left turn (I was going straight), a van pulled up beside me. We are about 5m from the turn when he pulls up level. He then turns on his indicator but slows down, giving the indication that he is letting me ahead as I am ahead by a bit and he was never in front. All indications were that I was being let go, but I just had that feeling. At this point it was hard to tell if stopping dead based on intuition was useful. I didn't stop, he turned across me, I swerved out of the way and roared. He looked at me in confusion, a sort of dumbfounded, you don't see one of those every day looks.

I was fine, if just a little shook. A short time later I passed what looked like three ambulances and 2 garda cars. I think it was two cars crashed but I did see a buggy on the road, hopefully just removed from the car. Hope they are all alright. I know I say this every year but after a really pleasant summer on the bike, standards and consideration have plummeted considerably in a very short space of time. Traffic appears to be backed up more than usual on the N11, hopefully that will subside in a few weeks as people adjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

CramCycle wrote: »
    So as I travelled up the N11, coming to a left turn (I was going straight), a van pulled up beside me. We are about 5m from the turn when he pulls up level. He then turns on his indicator but slows down, giving the indication that he is letting me ahead as I am ahead by a bit and he was never in front. All indications were that I was being let go, but I just had that feeling. At this point it was hard to tell if stopping dead based on intuition was useful. I didn't stop, he turned across me, I swerved out of the way and roared. He looked at me in confusion, a sort of dumbfounded, you don't see one of those every day looks.

Exact same happened me yesterday on N11 by UCD flyover going southbound. Yaris indicating left in a bus lane for about 500m, flirted with the first left turn but decided against it; I figured they were not familiar with the area so kept just behind the car in the event they eventually did turn left.

At the next left turn they drove up, stopped in the bus lane for 5-10 seconds and I was just creeping up keeping an eye on them waiting on the turn - kept going anyway as I figured they knew I was there and maybe were just waiting for me to go by. Of course as soon as I am up the left hand side of the car they decide to make the turn, managed to swerve and avoid them but it was certainly the closest call I've had on the bike without actually being hit.

Also had a large white van just pull out on top of myself and another cyclist in Donnybrook just before the stadium, bike was skidding to stop in time. He had seen us he just wanted to get out, blocked 2 lanes until the far side was clear for him to go. More traffic seems to lead to more asshmoves as people look to save precious minutes. Similar to yourself, lovely summer commuting with no incidents :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

CramCycle wrote: »

I was fine, if just a little shook. A short time later I passed what looked like three ambulances and 2 garda cars. I think it was two cars crashed but I did see a buggy on the road, hopefully just removed from the car. Hope they are all alright. I know I say this every year but after a really pleasant summer on the bike, standards and consideration have plummeted considerably in a very short space of time. Traffic appears to be backed up more than usual on the N11, hopefully that will subside in a few weeks as people adjust.

Glad you're okay. These first weeks of September are the worst of the year for cycling imo. It brings out the worst in people with the increased traffic. I've gone from not having many incidents of note in months to almost having them daily in the last week. I haven't been beeped at since May, and it's happened three times this week alone. (Only for me to pass them in traffic later :rolleyes:). Take care out there everyone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Glad you're okay. These first weeks of September are the worst of the year for cycling imo. It brings out the worst in people with the increased traffic. I've gone from not having many incidents of note in months to almost having them daily in the last week. I haven't been beeped at since May, and it's happened three times this week alone. (Only for me to pass them in traffic later :rolleyes:). Take care out there everyone.

Last night a van beeped at me coming through Shankhill. Coming upto the roundabout on the southside of the village, the road narrows. It makes sense to merge in with traffic as otherwise (and I have seen it) you can give the impression to really stupid people that you don't mind being overtaken coming to a junction/pinchpoint. Anyway I merged in, slowed a bit so not on the car in fronts bumper but I was now at the same speed. the van behind me went mental. i ignored the first beep, looked around at the second, to see the wild gesticulating. I just raised my hands and shrugged at the third and subsequent ones. Eventually as the car in front slowed dramatically, I looked around and asked really loudly "Is everything OK?" the pantomine character kept waving all over the place. I went through the roundabout less than 2 seconds after the car in front and went into the bike lane on the far side. The van turned right when I glanced behind. I had, at most (and realistically, not at all) delayed him by 1 or 2 seconds, which he undoubtedly made up on the quiet road he went onto.

I really feel that drivers who are reported for this, should be pulled in, not charged and have a long teacher to young pupil chat. Ask them what the issue was, why they behaved in that way and then in really slow, childlike language, preferably with some toy cars or monopoly pieces and a print out of the route from Google maps, explain to them why it made no difference if the perceived insolence from lowly me had never taken place.

I make mistakes, plenty of cars I have pulled up beside and said sorry, completely my fault. I apologised to a cyclist this morning. I knew he was coming up the inside of traffic so I stopped before merging over (traffic was at a standstill) but I think he thought I was still moving and he got a small shock (and rightly so). I met him at the lights and said I was sorry, I had stopped as I knew he was coming. "No worries" end of discussion, I now for future reference to just continue in my lane until I am overtaken on the left or I have pulled ahead far enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I live in Shankill and I always stay out in the lane from the church r'bout through the village and out to the r'bout at the south end.
    Between the bridge, the bus stop, ped lights, narrow lanes, merging roads, the traffic island and parking cars (breathe) no-one is getting anywhere fast and I certainly am not going to facilitate stupid overtakes.

If that pi$$es people off - so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

cjt156 wrote: »
    I live in Shankill and I always stay out in the lane from the church r'bout through the village and out to the r'bout at the south end.
    Between the bridge, the bus stop, ped lights, narrow lanes, merging roads, the traffic island and parking cars (breathe) no-one is getting anywhere fast and I certainly am not going to facilitate stupid overtakes.

If that pi$$es people off - so be it.

I do the same here:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4189292,-6.2138808,3a,60y,174.29h,75.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sS4NBdcF4IVwkgDmIGpz2fQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It has to be done. If you dont, its yourself that's in danger, not the numpty behind the wheel! ...stuff'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Vel wrote: »
    Small update.

Rang Trafficwatch at 9am yesterday.

By 5pm I had a call from the Sergeant at the local station. He clarified a few details, explained the procedure and also the limitations when it is one word against another, but advised that he has assigned the case to one of the Guards and she will be in touch with me today and we will discuss options.

First time using Trafficwatch and impressed so far.

We shall see!

Sounds good - is that Dundrum station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

As a Shankill resident myself, if I am cycling out to Bray and beyond I go through Corbawn, Quinn's Road, and then onto the main road at that southern roundabout to bypass the village altogether. The village can be a crazy place for a cyclist. Okay, it works for me, but for someone coming from the N11, there's very little choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

Beware of Ford Fiesta Electric Blue 09LH1480
    Was in Phoenix Park doing a few loops (a very few actually, due to the event) ~one hour ago, while cycling I realize a car switching on lights from the parking space, was far enough, I continue on my road.
    Suddenly I realize the jerk honking and skid the wheels as in a racing start, goes out of the parking, takes the turn in my direction at very high speed, I hear the tires scream -- first thing I did was jump in the grass, the jerk passing me honking and I heard screams of happiness inside the car.
    After that, slows down and waits for my reaction.
    I just slowed down, waiting for him to disappear, and getting ready for confrontation. He (or she, don't know) actually keeps going, and start accelerating as hell again at the next turn (the one at the beginning of the Khyber climb) -- I realised then he was doing the same with a runner, trying to scare him.
    I took the first exit waiting for a garda, as the car after all this show parked for a while. I did then take the plate number.
    Did not really know what expect from these kinda people, don't know if they are under drugs or alcohol or whatever.
    Just saying it here, as it can happen again in the Phoenix -- probably it is a meeting point for them.

PS Nice way to start this September, I had a few very close calls for phone-driving in the past two days, and for people not giving a s... as usual about cyclist. Then when you try to avoid traffic and drivers, for example riding in the Phoenix Park, this is what happens... I am starting to think I have a magnet for idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

queldy wrote: »
    I am starting to think I have a magnet for idiots
    You do. Your bicycle. But you're not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Sounds good - is that Dundrum station?

Donnybrook.

I missed a call from the Guard last night. She rang at the very reasonable hour of 9pm and left a message explaining that I could catch her any time up to 1am but alas, after a rather heavy weekend from which I am still recovering I was in bed at 8.30pm! Hope to catch up with her tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MissTiny

Had an awful encounter along the canal this week.

Coming up behind a group of sc umbags doing wheelies on their bikes along the canal. I ring my bell to alert them I was coming from behind…what a mistake that turned out to be.
    The ringleader immediately turned and retorted “don’t you f*cking ring your bell at me” and the torrent of abuse started. They insulted everything they could think of about me, e.g. calling me nappy a*se in reference to my cycling shorts etc. I told them they were pathetic for picking on a girl which they did not like.

They tore off ahead of me at this point and I desperately hoped that was the end of it… until I caught up with them further ahead where they had met more of their friends who were leading a horse up the canal. Between their bikes and the horse, I could not get passed while they hurled more abuse at me. 2 male cyclists came up beside me eventually, the ringleader spotted them and commented “alright let these grumpy f*ckers through” When they moved aside to allow the first male rider through, I saw my chance and darted behind him narrowly missing the ringleaders attempt to stick his foot out at my wheel.

Once I was in the clear I broke down crying and did so for the remainder of the evening. I have never experienced such intimidation and hostility in my 3 years commuting by bike into Dublin city.

Left the bike at home and took the train today, still feeling very shook up by the encounter. Don’t know how I feel about getting back on the bike… I love it so much but the stress it causes myself and my OH is just too much to bear sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

MissTiny wrote: »

Left the bike at home and took the train today, still feeling very shook up by the encounter. Don’t know how I feel about getting back on the bike… I love it so much but the stress it causes myself and my OH is just too much to bear sometimes.

Sympathy, it sounds scary and horrible. Which canal and where?

This was on the Grand canal path between Inchicore and Clondalkin.

I've encountered so many bad characters along this stretch but am careful to keep the head down and not interact with them.
    I've seen them successfully encourage their (huge & vicious) dogs to attack passing cyclists.

At a loss of where to go from here.

I've encountered so many bad characters along this stretch but am careful to keep the head down and not interact with them.
    I've seen them successfully encourage their (huge & vicious) dogs to attack passing cyclists.

Sundrive garda station, for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Had a similar experience at the locks just behind park west, group of young lads were blocking the gates and hurling abuse and stones at cyclist going through. Cyclist ahead of me knew I was behind, hung on for me and we went through together, safety in numbers, but had to argue our way through. Had stones thrown at us as we were cycling off. I didn't know at the time but one of them went around behind me and opened my saddle bag, by the time I'd gotten home everything had fallen out. Thankfully had my phone and keys in my jersey. Never felt comfortable going through there again when it's crowded and ditched the saddle bag.

It's not a nice thing to experience, hope it doesn't put you off in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

Sounds terrible. You should definitely report it to the gardai. You're right to keep the head down and not interact. Unfortunately, I think there's a mindset in this country, that a cyclist ringing their bell is interpreted as an order to get out of the way, and it's magnified a hundred times with low-life like that as they'd be the sort to have a go at you for just looking at them side-ways. So, it doesn't surprise me that ringing the bell set them off. I don't know the area, but can you avoid that particular spot by taking a detour? Hopefully, you find a sympathetic ear at the garda station and they can do something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Jnealon wrote: »
    I was out for a run today and my young lad tagged along on his bike. He was in full bmc kit, red helmet and flashing lights, so fairly visible.
    He went on ahead of me and was proceeding through a round about when a van came on to the roundabout at speed narrowly missing him. I've had my fair share of near misses and usually fob them off but this really annoyed me.
    Anyway I got the reg and made a few calls, turns out it was a van rented out to the council. I got on to the council and filled out a generic complaint form, is this enough or should I report it to the gardai. I would be happy enough to leave it with the council if I knew they would follow it up properly

Update
    Got a letter to acknowledge the complaint form I submitted which had a date where I should hear back from them. Anyway, didn’t hear anything back and had to chase them up for a response.
    I spoke to the person dealing with my complaint and they said that after speaking to their driver that he told a different story. The driver maintained that there were only pedestrians on the islands crossing the road, he must have been referring to me as I was the only pedestrian there. This leads me to believe that he never spotted my son in his bright red cycling gear, either because he wasn’t paying attention, going too fast or both.
    I stressed this point but it was lost on them.
    So overall a disappointing response from DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Had a similar experience at the locks just behind park west, group of young lads were blocking the gates and hurling abuse and stones at cyclist going through.

Those two experiences are horrible. Really nasty potential opening sequence to an '80s revenge movie vibe to them.

I spent a chunk of the summer cycling this route, and I was surprised to see so few dodgy characters on these stretches. Does the time of day or year affect when they appear, I wonder? I'd guess that at rush hour there are enough other people on this stretch that they don't bother. I'm really sorry that you have been so shaken by these events. Could you do a detour to skip that section? (You shouldn't have to, of course, but you should try to recover your confidence somehow).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

plodder wrote: »
    Sounds terrible.Unfortunately, I think there's a mindset in this country, that a cyclist ringing their bell is interpreted as an order to get out of the way

I think when some cyclists just ring their bell while not slowing down and not saying thanks it can be seen as that because it is that to be frank.

However of course it doesn't deserve the treatment the poor cyclist received in this instance, scumbags will be scumbags.

I had a near miss myself the other day on Douglas St. in Cork City. A taxi driver was coming the opposite way, with lots of parked cars on his side he didn't wait for me to pass on what is already a narrow road and I was up against the kerb trying to avoid clipping his wing mirror, prick.

I think when some cyclists just ring their bell while not slowing down and not saying thanks it can be seen as that because it is that to be frank.

However of course it doesn't deserve the treatment the poor cyclist received in this instance, scumbags will be scumbags.

What's annoying is that up until recently I never used my bell, just called out "Excuse me please/sorry!" or "Heads up!" in as kind a voice I could. People's natural reaction is rarely very friendly to begin with but would usually soften once they saw me. I'll usually give a cheerful smile and thumbs up to those who are happy to let me through. I changed it up recently in an effort to reduce the nasty responses I was getting from shouting.
    check_six wrote: »
    Does the time of day or year affect when they appear, I wonder? I'd guess that at rush hour there are enough other people on this stretch that they don't bother. I'm really sorry that you have been so shaken by these events. Could you do a detour to skip that section? (You shouldn't have to, of course, but you should try to recover your confidence somehow).

During the summer there are crowds of them at the gates, swimming in the canal and terrorising the regular folk trying to pass through.
    The morning cycle at 7/8am is beautiful, quiet and so enjoyable. But coming back through at 6pm can be terrifying.
    Unfortunately a detour would involve cycling busy roads which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid by taking the canal.
    Chuchote wrote: »
    Sundrive garda station, for a start.

Thank you for the advise, I will be giving them a call this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

I was knocked off my bicycle at the canal lock near Kylemore and Killeen - right in front of a CCTV camera about two years ago. I rang the camera operator (was my 3rd such incident in a short time) when I got up but stone throwing and bangers came my way so I got out of there as quick as I could. Camera guy said he didn't have the initial incident but was recording the other crap. Gardai called to my house later and were of no use at all. Didn't even want to look at the footage. As soon as I said they were kids under 16 they said there was nothing they could do at all.

As you say, it's a beautiful cycle in the mornings but I avoid the canal in the afternoons. Crumlin road, Long mile, Nangor road and back on to canal again after Clondalkin is my route home. These roads have cycle / bus lanes and are not actually too bad. Naas Road / Long mile junction needs care but you learn what road position gets you through over time.

Hopefully you get back to the cycle commute. You are not alone in how you feel about that particular route.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Coming up behind a group of sc umbags doing wheelies on their bikes along the canal. I ring my bell to alert them I was coming from behind…what a mistake that turned out to be.
    The ringleader immediately turned and retorted “don’t you f*cking ring your bell at me” and the torrent of abuse started. They insulted everything they could think of about me, e.g. calling me nappy a*se in reference to my cycling shorts etc. I told them they were pathetic for picking on a girl which they did not like.

They tore off ahead of me at this point and I desperately hoped that was the end of it… until I caught up with them further ahead where they had met more of their friends who were leading a horse up the canal. Between their bikes and the horse, I could not get passed while they hurled more abuse at me. 2 male cyclists came up beside me eventually, the ringleader spotted them and commented “alright let these grumpy f*ckers through” When they moved aside to allow the first male rider through, I saw my chance and darted behind him narrowly missing the ringleaders attempt to stick his foot out at my wheel.

Once I was in the clear I broke down crying and did so for the remainder of the evening. I have never experienced such intimidation and hostility in my 3 years commuting by bike into Dublin city.

Chin up and avoid that Route in future.....pure scumbags will never change and I bet if you're on that same path again they will do the same again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Mine was a few years back so I'm not too worried about it now, just noticed the parallels between the two experiences. I haven't come in that route in a long time since moving offices but thinking about it again now that we're back in silly season.

As MissTiny said, it's usually around 6pm. especially when the weather is nice, that they're out.

Good place for a bunch of people to ride through with helmetcams.

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    Good place for a bunch of people to ride through with helmetcams.

why? you can't do anything with the footage if they are minors, if anything the little scrotes will probably try to knock you off your bike to steal the camera.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement