Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

CramCycle wrote: »
    Reminds me of the time an ambulance asked me to stand further up the road to explain to waiting cars that there was a woman on the road with a potential spinal injury. Well if a member of Irish rail didn't go ballistic, apparently his waiting train was more important than this persons potentially broken spine.

That leaves me speechless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

i may have mentioned it before, but i was talking to a chap from dublin fire brigade who has been spat on multiple times by passing motorists, when attending RTCs on the M50, as he is clearly the reason he has been held up.

That is insane.

A few years back, a cyclist cycled directly into the back of my car while stopped in traffic. He was going pretty quick, obviously distracted, and ended up laid out on the road. I got out, was helping him up as he apologised profusely, checking damage, etc, and the guy behind just lays on the horn for a good five seconds. Even when we both turned and looked, just beeeeeeeep. Fair enough if it was a few cars back and they couldn't see what happened, but no, this guy was in a hurry and just couldn't give a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Reminds me of the time an ambulance asked me to stand further up the road to explain to waiting cars that there was a woman on the road with a potential spinal injury. Well if a member of Irish rail didn't go ballistic, apparently his waiting train was more important than this persons potentially broken spine.

There was a news story recently that lollipop people were being trained in conflict resolution due to the number of incidents with aggressive motorists.

And separately the guards were called to 2 such incidents in the last week.
    On Wednesday, a school traffic warden in Fingal was verbally abused by an irate motorist when asked to move their car, which had been parked illegally in the vicinity of a school crossing.

The car's wing mirror then hit the warden as it was quickly driven off in an aggressive manner.
    Gardai were informed of the incident and had a visible presence at the school on Thursday.

On Thursday morning, a car drove through a school crossing in Swords only seconds after a group of children had crossed the road.

The car then narrowly missed hitting the school traffic warden, who was in the process of returning to the pavement.

This incident has also been reported to gardai.

I wonder if Newstalk are going to start stoking a lollipop lady v motorist debate.

I can just hear Hook talking about the rampaging lollipop ladies wantonly waving their signs.

amcalester wrote: »
    There was a news story recently that lollipop people were being trained in conflict resolution due to the number of incidents with aggressive motorists.

I wonder if Newstalk are going to start stoking a lollipop lady v motorist debate.

I can just hear Hook talking about the rampaging lollipop ladies wantonly waving their signs.

They don't stop at Zebra crossings up my way, had a couple of drivers wave at me while waiting to cross.

On the way down the r147 on Sunday morning I got two close passes by ambulance vehicles while in the hard shoulder heading south

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Danbo! wrote: »
    That is insane.

A few years back, a cyclist cycled directly into the back of my car while stopped in traffic. He was going pretty quick, obviously distracted, and ended up laid out on the road. I got out, was helping him up as he apologised profusely, checking damage, etc, and the guy behind just lays on the horn for a good five seconds. Even when we both turned and looked, just beeeeeeeep. Fair enough if it was a few cars back and they couldn't see what happened, but no, this guy was in a hurry and just couldn't give a ****.

We had it on a club spin December one year in Dunshaughlin. Guy who hit us overtaking was obviously intoxicated - he overtook the group, then veered left, taking the first few riders down. One young girl cycling with us - around
    16 from memory - went over the bars was laid our on the ground,dazed and injured. We were tending to her when some yoke in a Range Rover, coming the other way and having witnessing the whole accident, eager to get to Sunday services, laid on the horn and asked us to move her out of her way. Continues verbals out of the window as she drove up the drive to the church. Then probably went in to proclaim how Christian she was....:rolleyes:

The lolly pop ladies around my way get abuse as well and pedestrian / raised crossings are frequently abused / ignored - not unusual to hear the odd beep from cars, eager to get past and into that long queue up ahead. One more than one occasion, I've seen motorists force their way through, when the lolly pop lady is already in the middle of the road at a red light, again to join a queue of cars the other side of her. Cars really do bring out the worst in some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Really hope this training involves being shown how to really swing the 'lollipop' at the nutters. Some kind of Pop Fu would be good.

That fella would be the first to shout out the window at one. He'd be the first to get popped with a lollipop if I can get my Pop Fu Dojo up and running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

There was a news story recently that lollipop people were being trained in conflict resolution due to the number of incidents with aggressive irate motorists.

FYP. Irate, that's the word they use, not aggressive, lunatic, dangerous, self-entitled or psychopathic.

Chuchote wrote: »
    FYP. Irate, that's the word they use, not aggressive, lunatic, dangerous, self-entitled or psychopathic.

Yeah you're right, I must remember not to deviate from the accepted narrative.

I think using "irate" is an attempt to dumb down the incidents, They were irate because they were late, the inference they shouldn't be interrupted by school kids crossing safely to get to the school, irate because the heavy traffic (that they;re contributing to) was heavy, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Borderfox wrote: »
    Someone trying to kill you is a criminal matter but someone in a car trying to kill you is your fault (according to most media in Ireland)
    Indeed. A car's primary function of transporting people from one place to another apparently takes precedent over a car being used as a lethal weapon towards cyclists during the course of a journey, which is only a secondary, more minor matter, if even that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I had a punishment pass a few weeks ago. Shockingly close. Caught up with the driver and his first words were "it wouldn't have happened if you were in the cycle lane" I told him the cycle path ended 20 metres back, he just kept repeating himself, telling me it was my own fault, you choose to cycle in the the car lane etc... it got nasty and I cycled off. He drove about three inches behind me until I had to hop up on to the footpath and stop, then he drove of laughing at me.

I called traffic watch, told them what happened. A guard called me on the mobile late that day, was pretty doubtful, told me it would be his word against mine, but I went in anyway and made a strong, truthful statement. Included everything, including my bad language.

The guard called me today to tell me the driver got penalty points and a fine for dangerous driving, or careless driving or something like that. I couldn't really hear him on the phone. He said if the motorist doesn't pay the fine he'll end up in court. Not sure if I will have to go.

This motorist was a mature, healthy, intelligent, wealthy, well spoken, well turned out man in his fifties driving a modern expensive saloon car.

I didn't think the Guard was taking me seriously at first. I just hope, giving recent stories he's telling the truth! I'll keep you informed if anything else comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/car-crashes-into-creche-after-driver-loses-control-36120625.html

"A car crashed into a creche in Co Waterford this morning after the driver lost control when entering the car park.
    The incident happened at First Steps Creche in the Ballybeg area at around 9.30am.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I had a punishment pass a few weeks ago. Shockingly close. Caught up with the driver and his first words were "it wouldn't have happened if you were in the cycle lane" I told him the cycle path ended 20 metres back, he just kept repeating himself, telling me it was my own fault, you choose to cycle in the the car lane etc... it got nasty and I cycled off. He drove about three inches behind me until I had to hop up on to the footpath and stop, then he drove of laughing at me.

I called traffic watch, told them what happened. A guard called me on the mobile late that day, was pretty doubtful, told me it would be his word against mine, but I went in anyway and made a strong, truthful statement. Included everything, including my bad language.

The guard called me today to tell me the driver got penalty points and a fine for dangerous driving, or careless driving or something like that. I couldn't really hear him on the phone. He said if the motorist doesn't pay the fine he'll end up in court. Not sure if I will have to go.

This motorist was a mature, healthy, intelligent, wealthy, well spoken, well turned out man in his fifties driving a modern expensive saloon car.

I didn't think the Guard was taking me seriously at first. I just hope, giving recent stories he's telling the truth! I'll keep you informed if anything else comes up.
    You'll have to provide some sort of evidence for that.

ED E wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/car-crashes-into-creche-after-driver-loses-control-36120625.html

"A car crashed into a creche in Co Waterford this morning after the driver lost control when entering the car park.
    The incident happened at First Steps Creche in the Ballybeg area at around 9.30am.
    "

It was only a bit of structural damage :-?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Hook annoys me as much as he does the next sensible person, but to give credit where credit is due, he had a lollipop person in studio recently and was highlighting this very issue and talking about the conflict training.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if he soon started going on about how pedestrians don't pay "road tax" and shouldn't be crossing the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

John_Rambo wrote: »

Fair play for following through with that. It shows the system does work. If it does go to court, you will have to attend and give your side of it again, but I'd say there is a fair chance, after cooling down and reflecting on it, he'll suck up the points and the fine. Dangerous driving is a pretty serious offence. Even careless driving is not great to have on your record. Regardless of how it ends up, he'll think twice before acting in such an obnoxious manner again.

I've taken to setting the helmet camera backwards to an angle so it focuses on cars coming up behind me. Strangely, it seems to make some drivers behave more carefully.

Meanwhile… I was talking to someone who was worried about her student son because he can never remember his bike lights and doesn't bother with hi-viz, so she's bought him a car and paid €1,000+ for a year's insurance… :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I've taken to setting the helmet camera backwards to an angle so it focuses on cars coming up behind me. Strangely, it seems to make some drivers behave more carefully.

Meanwhile… I was talking to someone who was worried about her student son because he can never remember his bike lights and doesn't bother with hi-viz, so she's bought him a car and paid €1,000+ for a year's insurance… :eek:

Clever Boy! ;)

ED E wrote: »

"

I saw that, crazy stuff. The car lost control in the car park, I wonder if the driver's foot slipped and then slammed on the accelerator or something like that. You see those clips of cars in car parks slowly pulling into a space and then all of a sudden lurching forward and the next thing the car is sitting on another car's bonnet.

First time cycling in since the schools went back and was surprised by how much traffic there was but pleasantly surprised that everyone seemed to be behaving themselves until...a car turned left across me without indicating or checking mirrors.

I'm always surprised how loud I can roar when a car does that.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Clever Boy! ;)

Not so clever that this gormless youth is now at the wheel of 1.5 tons of metal sharing the road with me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Car pulled across me on the N11 and I let a half garbled roar. In his defence, he pulled up at the next lights to reassure me he was not going to encroach on the cycle lane and was sorry for scaring me. I said it was grand, just couldn't tell and got a fright.

I should have pointed out that he indicated as he began the turn, but more importantly, I wasn't in the cycle lane. I was in the bus lane, and I had to swerve out of his way. I kind of just let his lack of observation away because he had the good grace to slow down and engage in a polite and civilised fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Borderfox wrote: »
    It was only a bit of structural damage :-?
    Are they sure the crèche didn't collide with the car?

Car pulled across me on the N11 and I let a half garbled roar. In his defence, he pulled up at the next lights to reassure me he was not going to encroach on the cycle lane and was sorry for scaring me. I said it was grand, just couldn't tell and got a fright.

I should have pointed out that he indicated as he began the turn, but more importantly, I wasn't in the cycle lane. I was in the bus lane, and I had to swerve out of his way. I kind of just let his lack of observation away because he had the good grace to slow down and engage in a polite and civilised fashion.

The fella who cut me off today pulled in around the corner, probably to check I was OK but I just kept going straight.

Where did he stop? In a cycle lane, without indicating so at least he learned his lesson :rolleyes:

TheChizler wrote: »

And was it wearing hi-vis?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

TheChizler wrote: »
    'a collision involving a building and a car'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Someone in the comments sections calling it a Car créche. Wrong, but I chuckled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Weepsie wrote: »
    Someone in the comments sections calling it a Car créche. Wrong, but I chuckled.

Reminds me of a joke from a good few years ago -

What's a créche?
    two cars touching in Foxrock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Again with the silly passes. I'm waiting at the Eastpoint lights on the Alfie Byrne road, heading towards the City. Across the junction, cars are stopped about 50m ahead. Lights go green and I head off. Merc behind moves out and passes me only to stop about 15m up the road (we'd both travelled about 35m before he got to me).

It wasn't a dangerous pass in itself but I did have to brake harder than intended as he had foreshortened the remaining space by the length of his car. Nothing particularly scary or exciting and no adverse consequences for me - just stupid unthinking driving. Its the sort of lack of awareness and thinking that people get away with 999 times out of a 1000 - but now and then they don't and the cyclist ends up on the floor. This used to bug the sh-one-t out me but now it just vaguely disappoints me than anything else.

With the darker evenings, the idiot season is upon us again. Was amazed how many cars heading down the quays last night had no rear lights - turns out a lot of drivers running on day time running lights at 8.30pm. Surely there's an idiot override switch on these - not having them on my own car - that ensures the rear lights are on in DLR mode? anyway.

My rant is some tool is what can be described as a monster truck - this one to be precise in Castleknock last night. An 10-LD registered white one. You can't miss it - it's an uber SUV.

2015-ford-f-150-front-end.jpg

I was in the advance bike box in castleknock village, matey revving the supercharged engine at the red, then guns it at the green light, shooting past me, nearly hitting me and the car turning at the lights. He nearly lost control of it. It must be a 3 tonne vehicle. Six people killed in the previous 24 hours and you still have tools driving like this. That barrel rolling would have caused mayhem. I nearly caught up with him at the next lights, which he passed through on red. Obviously driving safe in the knowledge if he hits pretty much anything on the road that he'll be insulated by his tonnes of metal.

Caught a quick glimpse of the driver - looks like this guy. Watch out everyone!

CQ5ujM-XAAECi71.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Surely there's an idiot override switch on these - not having them on my own car - that ensures the rear lights are on in DLR mode? anyway

IIRC, DLR by EU specification require only the front small (not parking) lights to be on.

Also iirc, when you turn on your normal lights (or your automatically if your car has that feature) when you normally should do so, the DLR's should turn off and the normal lights should be on.

I know on my car, I can turn off DLR mode, and those bulbs will never be on, no matter the <p> Low or High setting of the standard lights.

To be honest, I questioned the logic of not requiring the rears to be on in DLR mode, but hey, who am I to question the EU.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement