Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Vel wrote: »
    Donnybrook.

I missed a call from the Guard last night. She rang at the very reasonable hour of 9pm and left a message explaining that I could catch her any time up to 1am but alas, after a rather heavy weekend from which I am still recovering I was in bed at 8.30pm! Hope to catch up with her tonight.

The Guard and I finally caught up with one another!

I have decided not to lodge a formal complaint, which would involve her word against mine, possible court appearance etc. and instead the Guard is going to caution her about being on a mobile phone while driving.

Even if she denies it, which she probably will, she obviously is someone who uses her mobile phone while driving, so hopefully it will make her think twice about not doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've had a couple of incidents this week whereby a car overtaking does so into oncoming traffic, forcing oncoming cars to stop dead only for the overtaking to speed off. They aren't necessarily passing me closely, but it is a crazy manoeuvre. Bonkers stuff really.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

I've had a couple of incidents this week whereby a car overtaking does so into oncoming traffic, forcing oncoming cars to stop dead only for the overtaking to speed off. They aren't necessarily passing me closely, but it is a crazy manoeuvre. Bonkers stuff really.

Had the very same yesterday on the road from Portmarmock into Baldoyle, not the most straightest of roads either....

Torres09 wrote: »
    Had the very same yesterday on the road from Portmarmock into Baldoyle, not the most straightest of roads either....

Exact same road I've had it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

I get that quite frequently while driving past busses pulled in on the opposite side of the road. Person in the car behind the bus just pulls out into the middle of the road to overtake the bus forcing evasive action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Torres09 wrote: »

I get that there a lot too, especially after that rondabout near baldoyle heading Portmarnock direction . There is a wall to the left and I've thought I might get crushed one day . I've seen a lot of crazy overtaking there .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I was side swiped by some absolute spastic in Ranelagh this morning. Don't know how I managed to hold the bike upright. Then to compound the fact the idiot made a rude gesture at me.

Was on my way over to pull him out of the car, reaching for the door, when I came to my senses. I think it was the smug look turning to fear that snapped me out of it. Shock stayed with me for a few minutes, hands shaking cycling away, no real damage to the bike.

I got a new helmet, so the Mobius wasn't attached, which is a shame because I would not have settled until he lost his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yep, a few of those each week, if not each day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DJD

Had a close one today on the junction of Sussex Road and Sussex terrace, car turning left towards the canal came within a couple of cm of me.
    Caught up with him at the next junction asked him (politely) if he knew how close he came to running me down - response "I did not - how dare you" and drove off.
    Some people are just lovely :)
    (looking back, it is lucky I was going left at that junction too. Despite passing me out to get to the junction, he never even knew I was there and probably would have ploughed through me if I was going straight)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I would not have settled until he lost his job.
    Was he a delivery driver or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

John_Rambo wrote: »

I called traffic watch, told them what happened. A guard called me on the mobile late that day, was pretty doubtful, told me it would be his word against mine, but I went in anyway and made a strong, truthful statement. Included everything, including my bad language.

The guard called me today to tell me the driver got penalty points and a fine for dangerous driving, or careless driving or something like that. I couldn't really hear him on the phone. He said if the motorist doesn't pay the fine he'll end up in court. Not sure if I will have to go.

+1 for this- I'll remember Traffic Watch. The driver probably didn't realise he was admitting to breaking the law when giving his side of the story.

Hopefully if people keep reporting, the word will get out and dangerous behaviour will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Apologies if this was posted here already.

Stayin' Alive at 1.5 are updating their collection of close pass videos with a view to presenting them to Shane Ross. If you have some suitable footage, could you send it to stayinaliveat1.5@gmail.com?

Their Facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/stayinaliveat1.5/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not me so not sure if its Ok as maybe it did not bother the people involved. Last week, Blue mini bus (3 letter name owner) coming upto Stillorgan half overtook a cyclist at the slip road to Stillorgan (the one that brings you up by the Orchard). He slowed and then gunned it with the cyclist barely past him. He somehow forgot about the day glo green bike attached to the back with the cyclists son on it. I mean an inch is what that child had between getting to school or getting to a funeral home.

This morning, a different company but with the first name being 3 letters long as well, but a whgite 52 seater, was coming up the N11 between Shankhill and Cabinteely. There is a stretch there that you cannot get out of the bus lane and into the bike lane for a few 100m before. This bus decided the bike in front of him deserved a beeping (because he had to get to the DB up the road who was travelling no faster than the bike). He then swerved into the rear wheel of the cyclist and sat no more than a foot from his rear wheel trying to intimidate him I presume. The cyclist indicated out to show he was holding the road (he had nowhere else to go) but the lunacy of it. As soon as it was possible to get into the bike lane he did but this bus could not go anywhere else, we both could see him for the next 5minutes only 100m up the road. This is what this guys life was worth.

I asked the cyclist at the lights and he just shrugged and said, you just have to hope that they have the skill level to stop if needs be. I didn't want to shatter his illusion about braking distances if he had to stop in an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

^ If you got the reg thats worth a traffic watch report, even if the 'victim' isnt interested.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I can count the number of incidents I've had with a dublin bus on one hand I'd say, and even then only 1 did I find particularly bad. Friday however was different.

Cycling up the Drumcondra road a bit past St Pats. I was waiting behind a bus that had pulled in to less passengers get on and off. Cue another bus from behind pulling right on top of me. I had to bail for the kerb and path.

I don't know what space he saw, but I knocked on his door and he started shouting I should have yielded. I was in the lane ahead of him. It would have taken him less than 10 seconds to wait for the other bus to clear so I could get on my way but he decided I wasn't worth it.

I havn't checked the video, but I should have his licence and I should send it to Dublin bus, if not the guards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ED E wrote: »
    ^ If you got the reg thats worth a traffic watch report, even if the 'victim' isnt interested.
    No license plate but I mailed the company to see if they have cams on their buses, no response yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Weepsie wrote: »
    I can count the number of incidents I've had with a dublin bus on one hand I'd say, and even then only 1 did I find particularly bad. Friday however was different.

Cycling up the Drumcondra road a bit past St Pats. I was waiting behind a bus that had pulled in to less passengers get on and off. Cue another bus from behind pulling right on top of me. I had to bail for the kerb and path.

I don't know what space he saw, but I knocked on his door and he started shouting I should have yielded. I was in the lane ahead of him. It would have taken him less than 10 seconds to wait for the other bus to clear so I could get on my way but he decided I wasn't worth it.

I havn't checked the video, but I should have his licence and I should send it to Dublin bus, if not the guards.

Dublin bus will send you a stock reply telling you they take safety very seriously and their drivers watch a safety video about cyclists once a year. I’ve gotten the email twice.

Basically, can’t be their fault, theyve watched the video!

If you feel it’s serious enough I’d skip DB and report to local station instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Weepsie wrote: »

Same, I cant remember the last time I had any issue with Dublin Bus but I had one yesterday on my way home for whatever reason.

I was stopped at lights outside Doyles pub there, coming onto college green going Southband. I know the sequence of lights here and the cars going across were going first but the driver of this particular bus was revving and he then pulled up to my side with his nose ahead of me. He was constantly moving forward beyond the bike box/ASL and now blocking pedestrian crossing. As soon as light went green I shot off ahead of him ensuring I was well clear off him as like to be clear of any traffic when negotiating the tram lines outside Trinity. I was heading up dame street direction and got the first green at Ped light but the next set of lights coming down from Suffolk street had gone amber as I was approx 30 metres short so started coming to a halt. This bus has since caught up with me and I had a shoulder check and I could see from his speed he was going to break the lights and didnt really care that i was there, so i had to duck left as he smashed through lights(red a few seconds at this stage) as green man was going for peds, to pull up literally 5 yards past the lights at a bus stop. GRRRRR

Had a bit of a punishment pass descending Grange Road this morning, just after the camera battery died.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Was hit by a car this morning which pulled in on top of me in a cycle lane. I was luckily on a Dublin Bike and the basket hitting the side made enough of a racket that she hit the brakes. Not before her car was damaged though. Not sure if it was the N plates or the niqab she was wearing that was the reason for not checking the left side of her car properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Had a bit of a punishment pass descending Grange Road this morning, just after the camera battery died.

Very steep hill there - not hard to hit 50 kmph+ on that spot for me. Scary.

Had one of these yesterday evening. I do have the footage, just haven't looked at it yet. The weird thing was is that I hadn't had any dealings with this driver before that point in my cycle. Clear road, plenty of room to overtake and he passed within a couple of cm of my bars. I'll review the footage and consider reporting the prick. He's local to me too, seen him around.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 samvimes

Reported this one to traffic watch, thought I was a goner this time, usually I'd let it go but this was bad.

428249.png

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Was double passed on the Kill to Straffan road last night 7.15 pm ish between the canal bridge and the railway bridge heading towards Straffan.

Black Golf passed me and the outside of him was what I think was a silver Passat, all three of us going in the same direction. Silver car was flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

samvimes wrote: »
    Reported this one to traffic watch, thought I was a goner this time, usually I'd let it go but this was bad.

428249.png

Stayin' Alive at 1.5 are updating their close pass videos with a view to presenting them to Shane Ross. Please send videos to stayinaliveat1.5@gmail.com?

Their Facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/stayinaliveat1.5/
    Effects wrote: »
    Was hit by a car this morning which pulled in on top of me in a cycle lane. I was luckily on a Dublin Bike and the basket hitting the side made enough of a racket that she hit the brakes. Not before her car was damaged though. Not sure if it was the N plates or the niqab she was wearing that was the reason for not checking the left side of her car properly.

I was nearly creamed by a lunatic in a niquab backing on a dangerous corner. She clearly couldn't see either in the mirror or at her side. I'd ban the damn things for driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Would this be considered as a close pass?

I wouldnt be at all happy with that.

Yep, close and the bus is moving back into the left on top of you. I hate when they do it, and it's not on at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Have Dublin Bus lost their training video? 2 minor incidents for me in recent days:

1. COming back from the Phoenix Park and I'm stopped at the lights crossing over O'Connell bridge. Stopped at red light, bus beeps at me. I look at the light. Solid red. Look back at driver, he makes a gesture, when I turn around again, light is green. Maybe he hit horn by accident. Maybe not.

2. Heading home up Kill Ave, reach Baker's corner and the bus in front of me moves into the marked bike lane when the light turns red. I know the sequence, so I decide to move up inside and get ahead of him. Light goes green and I'm off. I see the bus stop ahead and an arm reaches out. Bus that was behind me and clearly pulling over, decides to pull alongside me. I'm thinking "he can't pull in on top of me so why is he pulling alongside?". Felt like a bit of an intimidation move, as the normal thing to do would have been to go behind me and then pull in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement