Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yep, close and the bus is moving back into the left on top of you. I hate when they do it, and it's not on at all.

That's on my daily commute home. Centre lane all the way along that bus lane for me. Bus drivers will squeeze by as for taxis.....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

2. Heading home up Kill Ave, reach Baker's corner and the bus in front of me moves into the marked bike lane when the light turns red. I know the sequence, so I decide to move up inside and get ahead of him. Light goes green and I'm off. I see the bus stop ahead and an arm reaches out. Bus that was behind me and clearly pulling over, decides to pull alongside me. I'm thinking "he can't pull in on top of me so why is he pulling alongside?". Felt like a bit of an intimidation move, as the normal thing to do would have been to go behind me and then pull in.

My second time getting the stock email was the exact same situation. I’d like to think I’m a fairly safe cyclist, but I made the mistake of assuming they’ll do the right thing. I could hear him coming and twigged him in the mirror, but thought “surely he won’t actually go for it”. Lesson learned, should have slowed sooner, assume everyone out to kill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Danbo! wrote: »
    My second time getting the stock email was the exact same situation. I’d like to think I’m a fairly safe cyclist, but I made the mistake of assuming they’ll do the right thing. I could hear him coming and twigged him in the mirror, but thought “surely he won’t actually go for it”. Lesson learned, should have slowed sooner, assume everyone out to kill :D

You showed remarkable restraint, if you were less on the ball that could have been very nasty.

Definitely needs evidence of this having been followed up internally rather than a PFO, otherwise that driver's going to kill someone

You showed remarkable restraint, if you were less on the ball that could have been very nasty.

The incident that sparked my first stock email, a few months previously, ended with a massive shouting match with the driver. It was a punishment pass (have the video in the depths of Dropbox somewhere) and the driver told me “there’s no room for you on the road” to which I asked “if that’s the case then why pass?”

I did not show as much restraint that time, but did learn that it’ll get you no further, and I naively thought that maybe, just maybe, following the official process for complaints would be smarter. It wasn’t.

Either way, being a bit more zen on the bike makes my commute more enjoyable. Live by the Latin motto: “llegitimi non carborundum”

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My second time getting the stock email was the exact same situation.

Time to push them through Traffic Watch. A Sergeant turning up at Busaras to have a word with the fleet manager will hopefully give DB a kick up the hole.

NB: Most of their drivers are fine, but the dangerous minority are driving the biggest risk to cyclists other than taxis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Id have levelled that bus driver, no need for that.

One today on the Summerhill road down towards Dunboyne, clear road and a Peugeot 3008 decides to see how close they can get to me despite nothing coming the other direction. On video so forwarding to traffic watch

Borderfox wrote: »
    Id have levelled that bus driver, no need for that.

One today on the Summerhill road down towards Dunboyne, clear road and a Peugeot 3008 decides to see how close they can get to me despite nothing coming the other direction. On video so forwarding to traffic watch

So much for ProjectEDWARD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Stayin' Alive at 1.5 are updating their close pass videos with a view to presenting them to Shane Ross. If you have some suitable footage, could you send it to stayinaliveat1.5@gmail.com?

Their Facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/stayinaliveat1.5/

• Registered Users Posts: 39 samvimes

Anyone know what happens when traffic watch are phoned? called with a close pass on Monday, heard nothing so far

samvimes wrote: »
    Anyone know what happens when traffic watch are phoned? called with a close pass on Monday, heard nothing so far

Process is supposed to be:
    1. You call Castlebar
    2. Castlebar log it in Pulse
    3. It gets assigned to a Sergeant at the station overseeing that area
    4. He delegates
    5. Delegate calls you and asks if you're willing to testify and what happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Response time can vary from hours to weeks to never in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

See my post earlier on. Reported to traffic watch, Garda took over, driver issued with fine and penalty points. I'd suggest dropping in to the local station where it happened (not your local one) if nobody contacts you with a prepared, honest, factual statement printed out. Include times, road names, direction you were traveling and what exactly happened.

They're taking this seriously if you go down the correct, bureaucratic procedure. Act professional, calm and emphatic. It takes time and effort, but the more people do it the more lessons will be learned by drivers that think it's acceptable to carry on like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Chuchote wrote: »
    Stayin' Alive at 1.5 are updating their close pass videos with a view to presenting them to Shane Ross. If you have some suitable footage, could you send it to stayinaliveat1.5@gmail.com?

Their Facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/stayinaliveat1.5/

Just sent this:

https://youtu.be/Jo888iijiKM

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

I am sick of taxi and bus drivers - sure not all of them, but it is not possible to have such behaviour from professionals.
    In the morning a bus almost got me down in a left turn invading completely the cycling line, and I saw he saw me on the mirror, he just probably was thinking "he saw me, so he will give up, I am bigger than him".
    After 3 minutes a taxi made me think of the proposal of introducing another law, the 1.5 meters but, "the longitudinal 1.5m". From a traffic light to another one, I think he kept no more than half a meter from my rear wheel, roaring the engine like he was at Maranello - and this because I was taking the line to turn right; right before the lights, when I moved right for the turn, he passed me (of course very close), and yelled at me something - he could not even complete the overtake (he did not have time and space), he had to stop for the queue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

queldy wrote: »
    I am sick of taxi and bus drivers - sure not all of them, but it is not possible to have such behaviour from professionals.
    In the morning a bus almost got me down in a left turn invading completely the cycling line, and I saw he saw me on the mirror, he just probably was thinking "he saw me, so he will give up, I am bigger than him".
    After 3 minutes a taxi made me think of the proposal of introducing another law, the 1.5 meters but, "the longitudinal 1.5m". From a traffic light to another one, I think he kept no more than half a meter from my rear wheel, roaring the engine like he was at Maranello - and this because I was taking the line to turn right; right before the lights, when I moved right for the turn, he passed me (of course very close), and yelled at me something - he could not even complete the overtake (he did not have time and space), he had to stop for the queue.

On the first one, it sound to me like you're going up the inside of a bus? It's a habit you should try and break if so. Not defending the bus driver at all, as it doesn't sound good, but just because you have a cycle lane, doesn't mean you should rigidly stick to it.

If he has come from behind you and gone to turn left that's a different matter.

Weepsie wrote: »
    On the first one, it sound to me like you're going up the inside of a bus? It's a habit you should try and break if so. Not defending the bus driver at all, as it doesn't sound good, but just because you have a cycle lane, doesn't mean you should rigidly stick to it.

If he has come from behind you and gone to turn left that's a different matter.

Thanks for pointing that out, but I do not usually decide to get killed by myself, I know they will invade the lane, I do not jump in the inside of a bus or truck or whatever.
    The bus passed me on a stretch, but didn't have time to complete before the turn.
    Anyway, I do not totally agree with your comment - there are situation in which you decide to go on the inside of a bus on the cycling lane, when there is a congestion for example, or if you know there is a lane for a red.
    I mean, what do you do when you find a long queue at the traffic light, you have your cycling lane but there is a bus? You stop behind the bus forever?

Thanks for pointing that out, but I do not usually decide to get killed by myself, I know they will invade the lane, I do not jump in the inside of a bus or truck or whatever.
    The bus passed me on a stretch, but didn't have time to complete before the turn.
    Anyway, I do not totally agree with your comment - there are situation in which you decide to go on the inside of a bus on the cycling lane, when there is a congestion for example, or if you know there is a lane for a red.
    I mean, what do you do when you find a long queue at the traffic light, you have your cycling lane but there is a bus? You stop behind the bus forever?

I don’t think they’re suggesting that, i read your post first as a bus turning left on top of you at a green light change as opposed to overtaking then turning instantly., not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I've taken to riding centre of all bus lanes in dublin on my commute. Cuts out all this nonsense. Horns from taxis and buses ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I've taken to riding centre of all bus lanes in dublin on my commute. Cuts out all this nonsense. Horns from taxis and buses ignored.

that's the only way for it. Own the lane. Force yourself not to get emotionally involved. I'll move in where I know safe passes can be made based on knowing the road, reading the traffic etc, so I am not just being a dick for the sake of it, but if in doubt, I take the lane and get on with it.

Have kids now out on the road, and their instinct is to break when a car is on the scene. For example, going along a main road, minor road on the left with a car arriving at the stop sign, turning left onto our road. Kids always break, it's hard to convey that they have the right of way. Better safe than sorry I suppose, but any level of hesitancy often puts the cyclist in danger. Not sure how to approach it, welcome any suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

that's the only way for it. Own the lane. Force yourself not to get emotionally involved. I'll move in where I know safe passes can be made based on knowing the road, reading the traffic etc, so I am not just being a dick for the sake of it, but if in doubt, I take the lane and get on with it.

Have kids now out on the road, and their instinct is to break when a car is on the scene. For example, going along a main road, minor road on the left with a car arriving at the stop sign, turning left onto our road. Kids always break, it's hard to convey that they have the right of way. Better safe than sorry I suppose, but any level of hesitancy often puts the cyclist in danger. Not sure how to approach it, welcome any suggestions.

Having the same experience at the moment with the young lad, i think repetition of the route and reinforcement of the basic rules of the road / observation skills are helping with him. He's now recognising when he has priority, recognising danger areas and is shoulder checking before executing turns. He's still pretty much cycling in the verge and / or ditch though!

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »

Was putting together a few clips to send on and ended up making this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Anything ever come from the last clip? I think I remember you reported it to the guards.

amcalester wrote: »
    Anything ever come from the last clip? I think I remember you reported it to the guards.

Gardai came, said it's a civil matter. :rolleyes: Wouldn't watch the clip. Asked about reporting to traffic watch "Ah, they'll just give it back to us though". Didn't have it in me to follow up. Got cash from driver, while he maintained I cycled into him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

That's an annoying attitude from the gardai.

That bus clip makes me feel very uneasy every time, I take that route home and only use the cycle lane after the bus stop.

Gardai came, said it's a civil matter. :rolleyes: Wouldn't watch the clip. Asked about reporting to traffic watch "Ah, they'll just give it back to us though". Didn't have it in me to follow up. Got cash from driver, while he maintained I cycled into him.

Which station were they from?

Was putting together a few clips to send on and ended up making this.

Nice video (if the word nice we can use).
    I agree 100% with you, the green van did a turn without signing and checking for cyclist on the lane.
    But wouldn't some people argue here that it would be better for you not to pass on the inside of a van? (bus or van, does not make much difference, does it?)
    As I can see, the van was ahead of you, slow and queuing, you were taking the inside of a large vehicle, and some people here suggest it's a habit we should try to break.
    In your specific case the van invaded your cycling lane to turn left, in my case in the morning the bus invaded the cycling lane to turn left.
    Where is the difference?
    Drivers should not ever take a cycling lane, and if so only when 100% sure there is no danger for incoming cyclists. Why do I have to break the habit of using the cycling lane, designed and planned to be used from cyclists?
    Thank you for your answers and reading, guys.

PS I am not saying I will jump on the cycling lanes to prove my rights if in danger or whatever, this is out of discussion.

Nice video (if the word nice we can use).
    I agree 100% with you, the green van did a turn without signing and checking for cyclist on the lane.
    But wouldn't some people argue here that it would be better for you not to pass on the inside of a van? (bus or van, does not make much difference, does it?)
    As I can see, the van was ahead of you, slow and queuing, you were taking the inside of a large vehicle, and some people here suggest it's a habit we should try to break.
    In your specific case the van invaded your cycling lane to turn left, in my case in the morning the bus invaded the cycling lane to turn left.
    Where is the difference?
    Drivers should not ever take a cycling lane, and if so only when 100% sure there is no danger for incoming cyclists. Why do I have to break the habit of using the cycling lane, designed and planned to be used from cyclists?
    Thank you for your answers and reading, guys.

PS I am not saying I will jump on the cycling lanes to prove my rights if in danger or whatever, this is out of discussion.

I'm with you on the bus thing, I thought initially you meant you were waiting for a green light, not a late left hook by the bus. You're right, you can't wait behind every large vehicle in a queue. In my case, there's a no left turn sign, no indication and he's crossing a dished path so I just did not see it coming at all.

ED E wrote: »
    Which station were they from?

Rathmines.

Rathmines.

TW gone to them from me just this morning, we'll see how we do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've had better responses by going through Traffic Watch first, as it gets logged on the system immediately, and (in theory at least) somebody is supposed to tracking the open complaint through to resolution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement