Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

TheChizler wrote: »
    No problem if there's space, they're stopped, and not at the top of a queue for a junction.
    If I was a cyclist, I wouldn't do it. Especially for vehicles that are prone to pull in to the kerb, like buses.

I was having a hard time reconciling the "he had headphones on and seemed totally zoned out of what he was doing" statement with someone who was capable of squeezing between two buses at a junction, but then I read the helmet sentence and realised that it was just the usual bollocks being spouted. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

If I was a cyclist, I wouldn't do it. Especially for vehicles that are prone to pull in to the kerb, like buses.

I was having a hard time reconciling the "he had headphones on and seemed totally zoned out of what he was doing" statement with someone who was capable of squeezing between two buses at a junction, but then I read the helmet sentence and realised that it was just the usual bollocks being spouted. :rolleyes:

I'm with you on this (and I am a cyclist). Why take the risk to save a second or two? We'd all rightly complain if the roles were reversed. Just stop behind the bus with the rest of the traffic. Courtesy works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Vel wrote: »
    I didn’t manage to remember reg plate of either, but not sure I want to be constantly reporting to TrafficWatch either with their ‘it will be your word against there’s’ line.

I gave up on trafficwatch, because I was tired of spending 10 minutes on hold.

I discovered there's a facility for emailing your local station, (eg Rathmines) which I found was less hassle. I got a call the next day from the station to discuss the incident.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Genius yesterday morning as I rolled upto a red light (that had went red about 20m before I reached it). All the cars on my road had stopped, except one. Into the bus lane with indicator on about 150m back, the light has been red from about 100m for the driver before the junction. Cut the corner so close they skimmed my my front wheel. I got a confused look from their children in the back as I nearly fell over.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wing3nut

Cycling on Monday on a regional road (no hard shoulder) outside Athlone. Clipping along nicely as had a strong tailwing. An articulated car transporter (northern reg) I'm guessing underestimated my speed and decided to overtake into oncoming traffic. The oncoming traffic had to come to a complete stop for the maneuver. To be fair he gave me a wide berth until he was passed but a stupid overtake none the less.
    Need to get cameras....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

The car pulling in on me was especially annoying, never even checked his mirror, even if he did, they look very poorly aligned.
    Indicates with about 1 second warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

papu wrote: »

The car pulling in on me was especially annoying, never even checked his mirror, even if he did, they look very poorly aligned.
    Indicates with about 1 second warning.

Madness, some of the things ive read and seen on this thread are just mind boggling. all my cycling is done on rural roads for liesure/exercise, don't think I'd last two minutes in Dublin city.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Can't believe that's another dublin bus overtake to pull in at a stop. Why is this suddenly an issue, what are they telling their drivers?

I was leaving St.Vincent's today by the Nutley exit. Big tailback.

Light turns red ahead of me. 1, 2 and finally 3 cars went through a solid red light. Oh yes, but you see officer, I'd been waiting so long in the queue that really the laws don't apply to me, I'm in a mad rush to get out of here. Bloody cyclists, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Can't believe that's another dublin bus overtake to pull in at a stop. Why is this suddenly an issue, what are they telling their drivers?

Has it ever not been an issue??

Coming up towards Guinness yesterday heading east, had moved out to get right, across the lanes, green bus comes along-side, moves in on top of me, I move back in and he goes back out of the bus lane and accelerates away. Only explanation I can see it forcing me in and I can't understand why??

Same location earlier in the week, saw taxi a good bit back but coming very quickly, didn't feel comfortable with him passing at that speed difference so tried to start moving right early, stopped at the edge of the bus lane to let a car pass on my right, taxi driver passes within touching distance and starts shouting about delaying him and not checking behind and road tax.... I had moved over because I saw him moving way to quickly down the inside of a queue of traffic and I had waited in the lane because I saw a car coming from behind.... not sure what he thought I didn't see...

This is the **** that is making me not want to cycle, I was pissed off all evening after the taxi.... Most of my problems seem to be with professional drivers either on that stretch or along merchants quay

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

Coming back from a spin yesterday, heading down the hill into Kiltiernan from Enniskerry when a taxi driver passes at speed without moving out at all. Caught up with him at the Golden Ball where he was waiting in a queue at a red light, so I did a track stand in front of him while wriggling my lycra arse around a lot. Punishment or reward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

^^Both!!
    Punishment for being impatient, a reward for being a dcik.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

buffalo wrote: »
    did a track stand in front of him while wriggling my lycra arse around a lot. Punishment or reward?
    Pics or GTFO.

Out walking with the wee one today with her on her little bike ... now off the stabilisers!!!!!

Had a woman on a bike pass with in cm's of me from behind frightening the sh1te out of me and startling the wee one who fell off, I mean she knows to keep left as I always correct her but still could have veered right at any second given she just shy of 4 years old :mad:

Best way I can post of what I shouted at her was "Get a bell"

I get why she was on the footpath at this particular point as it's busy and no cycle lanes in these parts but the fact she had a rear and helmet light on during daylight hours really f'n galled me like you need those for the foopath. I ride this section on the road regularly and I find it's grand if your not an AH cars will see why you're signalling right ... potholes and drains and not try and squeeze between you and the backed up traffic on the other side. It's slow moving on the way back in with the lights etc you can easily scoot the kerb to be first at the lights unless someone is hugging it in which case you then mount the path and pop back down in front of him and give a thumbs up to and continue to scoot :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Out walking with the wee one today with her on her little bike ... now off the stabilisers!!!!!

Had a woman on a bike pass with in cm's of me from behind frightening the sh1te out of me and startling the wee one who fell off, I mean she knows to keep left as I always correct her but still could have veered right at any second given she just shy of 4 years old :mad:

Best way I can post of what I shouted at her was "Get a bell"

I get why she was on the footpath at this particular point as it's busy and no cycle lanes in these parts but the fact she had a rear and helmet light on during daylight hours really f'n galled me like you need those for the foopath. I ride this section on the road regularly and I find it's grand if your not an AH cars will see why you're signalling right ... potholes and drains and not try and squeeze between you and the backed up traffic on the other side. It's slow moving on the way back in with the lights etc you can easily scoot the kerb to be first at the lights unless someone is hugging it in which case you then mount the path and pop back down in front of him and give a thumbs up to and continue to scoot :p

With kids, I always found it better to cycle just behind them, out to the right a bit, to prevent usually cars, but possibly other cyclists from getting too close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Had a woman on a bike pass with in cm's of me from behind frightening the sh1te out of me and startling the wee one who fell off
    Can you imagine the antics if this clown was in a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Can you imagine the antics if this clown was in a car?

Usually, being a d!ck on the road is transferable between car and bike and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Quite a lot of cyclists on my commute, engage in close passing so they can jump a red. A lot of them, not even slowing down at crossings on a rad.

Doesn't seem to be any recognizable demographic. I would say the ratio of bad drivers to bad cyclists is pretty even.

I have to remind myself that although these people annoy the life out of me, they are rarely dangerous to anyone but themselves.

I'd love to see more of a police presence on the roads during rush hour, but I suppose it's much easier to just cook the books while drinking tea at the station.

Quite a lot of cyclists on my commute, engage in close passing so they can jump a red. A lot of them, not even slowing down at crossings on a rad.

Doesn't seem to be any recognizable demographic. I would say the ratio of bad drivers to bad cyclists is pretty even.

I have to remind myself that although these people annoy the life out of me, they are rarely dangerous to anyone but themselves.

I'd love to see more of a police presence on the roads during rush hour, but I suppose it's much easier to just cook the books while drinking tea at the station.

This is something that always comes up. Of course there are cyclists that are not great on obeying the rules of the road, as there are motorists.

However, I would love to know the statistic on the number of cyclists running a red and hitting a vehicle!

A cyclist going on the inside of a stationary or moving vehicle is permitted. It might annoy motorists but there is nothing wrong or illegal in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    However, I would love to know the statistic on the number of cyclists running a red and hitting a vehicle!

The statistics on cars running reds and hitting other vehicles is probably pretty low. That doesn't mean it's okay.

Too many people make their decisions based on "what can I get away with".

Going through a red light mightn't cause a crash, but it can cause other people to have to change their behaviour to avoid that crash - braking, staying on the path, not moving away from lights - when they shouldn't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RayCun wrote: »
    The statistics on cars running reds and hitting other vehicles is probably pretty low.

Tell that to the luas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

RayCun wrote: »
    The statistics on cars running reds and hitting other vehicles is probably pretty low. That doesn't mean it's okay.

Too many people make their decisions based on "what can I get away with".

Going through a red light mightn't cause a crash, but it can cause other people to have to change their behaviour to avoid that crash - braking, staying on the path, not moving away from lights - when they shouldn't have to.

http://www.theaa.ie/blog/a-minority-of-motorist-need-more-discipline-when-it-comes-to-traffic-lights-says-aa/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/new-cameras-to-catch-motorists-breaking-red-lights-at-luas-lines-1.1769228

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

More police on the street is probably a waste of resources.

Proper camera at junctions, and on bus lanes that can easily identify traffic offenses send them off to a civilian admin who can send them off to the offender.

That and employment of something like the idaho stop legally would be a big step in the right direction.

That said, I did have a car start beeping at me in the bus lane in Drumcondra the other day. He was getting close. Car pulls out of the traffic lane and it was an unmarked police car that gladly pulled them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Weepsie wrote: »
    More police on the street is probably a waste of resources.

Proper camera at junctions, and on bus lanes that can easily identify traffic offenses send them off to a civilian admin who can send them off to the offender.

That and employment of something like the idaho stop legally would be a big step in the right direction.

That said, I did have a car start beeping at me in the bus lane in Drumcondra the other day. He was getting close. Car pulls out of the traffic lane and it was an unmarked police car that gladly pulled them over.

I agree, there's only one real way to enforce better behaviour and that is to make people pay out of their own pocket, but the logistics and lack of forward planning are where the issues arise. It's tough to dig up the footpaths in order to power these cameras and the cheapness of this government means we will always have to rely on the mobile van option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

On Monday at about 3.30pm I was cycling on Sandwich street upper.
    I was stopped at lights on the cycle lane at the crossroads leading to Sandwiach street upper where the DART bridge over pass is, a white 2015 Skoda Octavia Taxi pulled up beside me. Nothing wrong there, I did notice that the Taxi was laden down with possibly Americans and luggage, and also visibility to the taxi driver could be hindered.

Lights go green and I cycle off keeping check of cars around me, approaching the DART bridge over pass the above mentioned Taxi driver comes along side me rather closely as we both go over the speed bump. I take off over the speed bump quicker however as the road curves outwards with parked cars where KBC HQ is the Taxi almost clip me so much so that I have to brake and as a warning I knock on the passenger rear door of the Taxi.
    Taxi takes a left at KBC HQ as do I and as I pass the taxi and give him a look he beeps aggressively at me and revs and drives his taxi towards the side of me. I back back to speak through the passenger window, where he is already shouting abuse at me like "Why the fook did ya hit me car ya fooker" , keeping in mind that there is an American tourist in the passenger seat and also in the rear!!
    I speak without expletives how he almost squashed me between two cars back there and that's why I knocked on your car door. He continues on his rampage "How he'll get out of his car and give me that that, as he points his clenched fist at me. Remember, there are newly arrived American tourists (they had hotel info in their hand) in his taxi, so God knows how they're feeling about taking this taxi journey I reply "Have you not heard about the ad campaign about giving room to cyclists" Again I explain how you should give cyclists room and not squash them up against cars, especially as a taxi driver you should have a bit of cop on! This got nowhere, as he just continued shaking his fist at me saying that he'll get out of his car and give me room alright, and drives off. 
    A bit puzzled about the situation, I was going to get his taxi number and licence and make a complaint not entirely on his awful road presence but on his temper over an incident where he was clearly in the wrong, especially to newly arrived American tourists in his taxi paying good money for the fare!!

And before anyone says how I should not have knocked on his car door, I don't agree, as otherwise I would have been squashed up against his car and another car. Most decent motorists would have acknowledged their wrong and gestured an apology. This guy was in his 50's too so you'd think he'd have a bit of sense.

So just a warning fellow cyclists that beware of a 50 plus Taxi driver in a white 2015 Skoda Octavia in Dublin city centre. 
    I'd love to know what the Americans thought, hope they didn't tip!

Dia1988 wrote: »

And before anyone says how I should not have knocked on his car door, I don't agree, as otherwise I would have been squashed up against his car and another car.
    If you can reach his car door, you are way too close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

And before anyone says how I should not have knocked on his car door, I don't agree, as otherwise I would have been squashed up against his car and another car.
    Rather the taxi driver is too close to me, he was passing me out! I was following the line of the road and did not pull out.

I'd have likely told him to get out of his cab and try it, where if he did I'd cycle off and hope I'd given his passengers the time to flee :D

Yeah...what a post! Victim blaming?

Rather the taxi driver is too close to me, he was passing me out! I was following the line of the road and did not pull out.
    Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Yeah...what a post! Victim blaming?

My wording was a little clumsy. If you can reach the car door, you ARE way too close because the taxi has come too close to you. I was trying to reassure you that it was not your fault. Maybe it's because I've used that exact line a few times into the angry faces of taxi drivers and other drivers; "If I can reach your car, you're way too close".

• Advertisement

^^understood, and know how you feel /been there too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement