Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dont need to watch out for the Skoda, just watch out for all Dublin Taxis. Odds of each one being a psycho is strikingly high.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

ED E wrote: »
    Dont need to watch out for the Skoda, just watch out for all Dublin Taxis. Odds of each one being a psycho is strikingly high.

Yeah quite a few of them are nut jobs. Had some fat fook with one of those stupid looking blue tooth ear pieces in a taxi tailgate me after island bridge for about 200 meters to heuston in the bus lane - I was indicating right to get across to park gate street. I’m talking literally inches behind me, beeping his horn and hurling abuse. Absolute scummer. Taxis are by far the worst a cyclist will ever encounter on the roads in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I had to take several taxis last month for work and noticed that when I was in the car they gave all cyclists a wide margin when overtaking.

Either it's because they were mytaxi and were looking for good ratings or perhaps they behave better when occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

mrcheez wrote: »
    I had to take several taxis last month for work and noticed that when I was in the car they gave all cyclists a wide margin when overtaking.

Either it's because they were mytaxi and were looking for good ratings or perhaps they behave better when occupied.

That could be the case. With no passengers, there is no income so they will do what they can to get the next fare quickly. Though if you read the post on the taxi with American tourists, it's not always the case.

The issue is loads have no regard for the rights of other road users and regard waiting in traffic as wasted time, when in fact, it's part of the job. One taxi driver actually said to me the rules of the road did not apply to taxis. Said they could do whatever they wanted.

I have noticed the behaviour of the foreign drivers getting worse too. Lots of these are driving with no knowledge of the Irish rules of the road. Passing an Irish driving test should be mandatory for any PSV licence application.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There is probably a higher percentage of Irish drivers who don't know the rules of the road than foreign. Thing is you're used to it and it passes by

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

This happened to me today on the back roads around the airport,

https://youtu.be/9G6h4h6f4ig

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

That prick shouldn't be allowed on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Have had a few near misses in the last two weeks. In all cases, cars taking a left turn off while I was heading straight.

Twice had my right out but passed me and cut across me to an immediate red light.

Spoke to one van driver....got "road tax" line. Explained I had a car. Went on to say that he simply didn't care about me.

Went to speak to another driver, tapped on the window. Glanced at me and immediately turned to look straight ahead. Refused to engage with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

ozzy jr wrote: »

Bloody hell. Clear road ahead, there had to be malice involved there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Shocking. Are you going to report?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

ozzy jr wrote:

Crazy drivers out behind airport. Had a bunch of close calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

This morning between oranmore and clarinbridge I was in hard shoulder lbeit close to yellow line doing 33kph and Paddy wagon coach passes me close enough to touch it. He was skirting the line and then pulls out again as traffic core car coming the other way. My finger pointing and swearing was ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

I had a close one with a poor child last week in Clondalkin. Was heading up towards Newlands cross on the road that has the Opel dealership on it at about the time the local schools were finishing for the day.

The cars heading the opposite way were bumper to bumper into the village and I was in the middle of my lane going around a parked Van. I spotted a woman in between the stopped cars with a schoolbag on her back but she stopped and looked at me so kept at the pace I was going (only 20-25km/h up a slight hill).

Next of all her child darts out from in between the cars at full speed for the other side of the road. I managed to swerve so my bars would avoid his head and he stopped dead in his tracks. Cue the mother shouting at me telling me to watch where I'm going! (???)

I told her if she's gonna walk in between traffic on a busy road she needs to hold her child's hand (no older than 6-7)

Funny thing is if the child had ran into me and hurt himself I would have felt terrible, even though it was the mother's responsibility to not let him run in between and play chicken with traffic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Definitely one for the Gardai. He had no chance of stopping or avoiding you if anything had caused you to change vector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

LpPepper wrote: »
    I had a close one with a poor child last week in Clondalkin. Was heading up towards Newlands cross on the road that has the Opel dealership on it at about the time the local schools were finishing for the day.

The cars heading the opposite way were bumper to bumper into the village and I was in the middle of my lane going around a parked Van. I spotted a woman in between the stopped cars with a schoolbag on her back but she stopped and looked at me so kept at the pace I was going (only 20-25km/h up a slight hill).

Next of all her child darts out from in between the cars at full speed for the other side of the road. I managed to swerve so my bars would avoid his head and he stopped dead in his tracks. Cue the mother shouting at me telling me to watch where I'm going! (???)

I told her if she's gonna walk in between traffic on a busy road she needs to hold her child's hand (no older than 6-7)

Funny thing is if the child had ran into me and hurt himself I would have felt terrible, even though it was the mother's responsibility to not let him run in between and play chicken with traffic!

I would not be so sure about that, the recent case in London , the pedestrian walked out into the road, but the cyclist was jailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

he was jailed because he was on a bike with no brakes which is against the law. The court reckoned he could have stopped if he had brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Chiparus wrote: »
    I would not be so sure about that, the recent case in London , the pedestrian walked out into the road, but the cyclist was jailed.

Very different circumstances,that being said. You may not be guilty, but you'd get absolutely destroyed in the media

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Cue the mother shouting at me telling me to watch where I'm going! (???)

Ah the usual deflected blame approach to hide her own guilt. Terrible attitude from the mother in question to put her child at risk then deflect

She should have been thanking her lucking stars it was a bike in this case and not a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

Was doing 48km/h down a nice hill out of Bellewstown yesterday, a narrow road, barely enough space for two cars to pass, but a decent surface, and normally no traffic. This car is coming towards me, no problem as he sees me coming. Then, a sheep dog comes out of a farm and starts chasing the car, along side. I was sure we were going to collide, but he jumped up on the ditch just in time. Scared the living daylights out of me, and to add insult to injury, Muttley turns around and starts chasing me. I never roared at a dog as much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not a near miss for me. Coming upto the turn for Cabinteely this morning, the one closer to town, a young lad in AIB dress up wanders across the N11. Traffic had a green but thankfully (some) of the cars slowed down and stopped. One guy beeped the horn to wake the banking sectors finest up but he never even turned his head, as other cars went behind him at 60 to 80kmph. Earbuds in, head down. Never noticed a thing, never looked up when he crossed from one side of the dualler to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not a near miss for me. Coming upto the turn for Cabinteely this morning, the one closer to town, a young lad in AIB dress up wanders across the N11. Traffic had a green but thankfully (some) of the cars slowed down and stopped. One guy beeped the horn to wake the banking sectors finest up but he never even turned his head, as other cars went behind him at 60 to 80kmph. Earbuds in, head down. Never noticed a thing, never looked up when he crossed from one side of the dualler to the other.

It would be great if DCC traffic could pull the camera footage on that one. Some people are total feckin zombies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

CramCycle wrote: »
    What is the world coming to when a bloke in a dress can't even get a catcall.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

plodder wrote: »
    Was doing 48km/h down a nice hill out of Bellewstown yesterday, a narrow road, barely enough space for two cars to pass, but a decent surface, and normally no traffic. This car is coming towards me, no problem as he sees me coming. Then, a sheep dog comes out of a farm and starts chasing the car, along side. I was sure we were going to collide, but he jumped up on the ditch just in time. Scared the living daylights out of me, and to add insult to injury, Muttley turns around and starts chasing me. I never roared at a dog as much.

He’s well known around there . He’s related to Eddie in the video below

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p8uP-dxllKQ

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Something really needs to be done about the junction of Macken St and Grand Canal St, particularly vehicles using the left turn lane to go straight. One particular arsehole this morning sat in that lane, didn't move when the filter light went green so blocked it up for all the cars behind him, then basically caused all the cyclists sitting in the correct lane to evade him when he drove on straight without a care in the world.

I've found the most inconsiderate drivers to come from either end of a spectrum, boy racers or smug arseholes in their expensive cars who think the rules don't apply to them. Said driver was very much in the latter group. No consideration for cyclists or other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

The selfish git phenomenon on Macken St. drives me mad too.

The "wide neck" of the far side of Macken St. is the problem, it encourages merging through the junction. Either bring the island on Pearse St. out into the junction or bring the paving out into the road on the South side of Macken St.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The "wide neck" of the far side of Macken St. is the problem, it encourages merging through the junction. Either bring the island on Pearse St. out into the junction or bring the paving out into the road on the South side of Macken St.

Yep one or the other, but cars have to be blocked from going straight when they're in the left lane.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I've found the most inconsiderate drivers to come from either end of a spectrum, boy racers or smug arseholes in their expensive cars who think the rules don't apply to them. Said driver was very much in the latter group. No consideration for cyclists or other cars.

Probably the ones you remember best as they fit into nice recognisable catagories, much like those who complain about cyclists on other forums remember MAMILS. The truth is though that is far from exclusive to those to groups, it is spread across every demographic who uses a vehicle quite well IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think a lot use the left lane to go on straight because they're often stuck behind people trying to turn right on to Pearse St. The problem with that is that the left filter triggers first, so they're just passing the blockage on to someone else. Reworking the light sequence to allow right turners through before oncoming traffic moves might help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I think a lot use the left lane to go on straight because they're often stuck behind people trying to turn right on to Pearse St. The problem with that is that the left filter triggers first, so they're just passing the blockage on to someone else. Reworking the light sequence to allow right turners through before oncoming traffic moves might help.

That is one junction that should have no right turn either direction when on Macken St. It causes havoc. Both directions should be straight and left turn only.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement