Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

Type 17 wrote: »
    The proposed greenway between Ballsbridge and Donnybrook is already in place, as it exists as the path beside Herbert Park on the other side of the river.

The works in the pics above are likely a temporary installation (done in summer when the river level/risk of a flood is low) to allow heavy machinery to access the river wall on the Anglesea Road side. It is the last section around there that is yet to be upgraded.

Today I looked over the wall at donnybrook stadium, the path is approximately 50% complete.

I'm still concerned how this path will join at donnybrook. The exit will be obscured by the large Oak (?) trees, so there will be some very hairy moments with the traffic there!
    I made a suggestion that a bicycle only phase should be added to traffic lights at the east end of Eglinton road to allow for a safe merge between bikes and cars. However I guess the plan was long finalised before the public consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Closest I’ve come to being totally taken out of it this evening on the south quays.

Some retard in a Land Rover decided to jump the traffic queue at the workman’s club, swerving left into the bus / cycle lane and narrowly avoiding me and two other cyclists.

His justification?

“You were all over the effing road”. By that he means cycling legally mid-lane in a dedicated bus / cycle lane, with a 200 lumen strobe light up front and at the back.

“But you’re in a bus lane”, I pointed this out while he was stationary in the bus / cycle lane waiting for the red. “there’s only a few yards of this lane left”.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    in a Land Rover
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

One of these, a proper off roader. Albeit driven by an idiot. Seeing those tyres heading towards me was a brown trousers moment :eek:

http://www.startech.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/startech-fahrzeug-gallery-land-rover-defender-06-1200x600.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

had my first proper 'OH MY GOD YOU F***ING TULIP' moment this morning since starting the commute on the bike again about six months ago.
    southbound, over the eastlink - reached the roundabout, and was taking a right out of it. checked behind me - had a reasonable distance back to a black ford people carrier jobbie, so i indicated clearly and pulled into the middle of the right hand lane; the people carrier is following me. as i'm pulling out onto the roundabout (was clear on my right, so i didn't stop), i hear a car accelerate behind me - the people carrier had accelerated and pulled into the *left* lane and is still moving, so that was a bit of an 'uh oh' warning.

so going round the roundabout, she was pulling alongside me, and i'm looking to my left in at the driver - who is indicating right and bearing in on me. i was shouting and gesturing that she was cutting me off, so she looked at me and accelerated and cut across to the exit - i had to come to a near dead stop as she cut me off. a couple of hundred metres later, i caught up with her, and got a very bemused 'Excuse MEEEE! YOU were in the wrong lane'

i neglected to get her reg in the fun.
    and she drove off before i got to ask why, if i was in the wrong lane, was it the lane she clearly wanted to use until she realised she simply had to get past me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

A taxi driver decided that I constituted a break in the traffic and pulled out onto the rock road just before the Frascatti centre (northbound). Came to a skiddy dead stop. Caught him about 20 meters down the road and questioned him about it.

"You managed to stop didn't you? I can't be stopping for every bike that comes along the road. I've a passenger in the back and places to go." I told him what he did could have killed me, and he told me bluntly that he didn't care. In response I called him a not very nice word, and told him he could enjoy the traffic he was going to sit in and cycled off. Should have gotten a reg plate and put in a complaint, but oh well - Helmet cam is now top of the birthday/chirstmas wish list. That's 3 times since the schools are back I've nearly been mowed down by people that just couldn't care less about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

^^^^

"I can't be stopping for every bike that comes along the road. I've a passenger in the back and places to go"

If you check the Irish Taxi Federation's website homepage, that's the banner across the top.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Driving this morning I noticed a cyclist going up the bus lane on the N11. Doing a fair clip, not holding up anyone. Little white bus caught up, and was literally half a metre behind. If the cyclists braked or slipped, he was dead.

The bus kept trying to half wheel him, it was beyond criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I've said it before but all these stories would make me want to invest in a stubby hammer & a frame mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Also driving this morning and witnessed a few punishment passes by taxi's on the N11 around RTE and that really messy bit of cycle path that takes you off the road for about 30m before dumping you back on (so most, rightly, just stick to the road).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

I'm convinced that the roundabouts in Phoenix Park main road are cursed. Went there for a spin today and at both the first and last roundabouts drivers failed to yield to me.

I've lost count the number of times this has happened - I'm wearing bright club kit (Red/Green/White) and have a 300L flashing light on, and it's the middle of the day!

They just couldn't give two f*cks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Had one particularly bad one this morning. One of those ones on a tight stretch where they creep up to your rear wheel and continue to pass, despite on-coming traffic and no room. I can't be sure of the distance, but it was very close. I do have the video(s) of this and more. Currently compiling a compilation.

Tbh I think I'm becoming numb to these passes now... They're so regular an occurance that they don't shock me too much. Doesn't mean they're any less lethal and dangerous. The margins are so thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Tbh I think I'm becoming numb to these passes now... They're so regular an occurance that they don't shock me too much. Doesn't mean they're any less lethal and dangerous. The margins are so thin.

+1.

I had a similar pass to you this morning, literally [yeah yeah] 50m from a just gone red light. They would have been first in the queue.:rolleyes:

Some poor woman (?) Lying on the inbound cycle lane on the N11 about 400m South of the bus station. Hope everything works out ok.

Edit: Garda and ambulance now on the scene, hoping for a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

LpPepper wrote: »
    I'm convinced that the roundabouts in Phoenix Park main road are cursed. Went there for a spin today and at both the first and last roundabouts drivers failed to yield to me.

I've lost count the number of times this has happened - I'm wearing bright club kit (Red/Green/White) and have a 300L flashing light on, and it's the middle of the day!

Cars have right of way at roundabouts. Didn't you know? :pac:

There's a roundabout close to my house, and I'd say as high as 50% of the time cars don't yield. Now it may be due to the fact that the where I'm coming from/going to is cyclists only, so they're not bothering to look properly - but its beyond a joke. At least the CC have painted bikes on the road, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Feckofff wrote: »
    Some poor woman (?) Lying on the inbound cycle lane on the N11 about 400m South of the bus station. Hope everything works out ok.

Edit: Garda and ambulance now on the scene, hoping for a speedy recovery.

Was this opposite rte?

micar wrote: »
    Was this opposite rte?

Yes and just before the school entrance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Idleater wrote: »
    They would have been first in the queue.:rolleyes:
    You're assuming that they were planning to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

I endured yet another close pass on the N2 heading towards finglas, past glasnevin cemetery on the way down the hill by a Dublin bus. Last time was a bus eireann last week.

Caught up with said bus stopped at the bottom of the hill while he was stopped at the lights.

Asked did he realise how close he was to clipping me as he passed close then pulled back in immediately causing me to break.

I got the stock "you shouldn't be in the bus lane, there's a cycle lane on the path".

I asked did he realise every road sign indicates that the lane is dual use for buses and cyclists and was met with the fůck off to the bike lane response.

Would DCC, if serious about protection of cyclists not see fit to repaint the markings pm the road from "bus lane" to bus/bicycle lane? Surely it would remove at least some of the confusion and entitlement that drivers of public service vehicles seem to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

LpPepper wrote: »

Same top of my road. All the mummies coming up from the crèche try to speed past just before or as cyclist enter the roundabout and then turn left when I am going right. They can't say they don't see us, they are just not interested in slowing down. Sometimes, you have to go with them as they completely cut your line. It's totally deliberate when this happens as they go wide on the roundabout and then turn late and left across you.
    Marginal gains, yummymummy style! Totally selfish and careless driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Cars have right of way at roundabouts. Didn't you know? :pac:

There's a roundabout close to my house, and I'd say as high as 50% of the time cars don't yield. Now it may be due to the fact that the where I'm coming from/going to is cyclists only, so they're not bothering to look properly - but its beyond a joke. At least the CC have painted bikes on the road, but still.
    Not just a problem for people on bicycles. I get the same treatment frequently and I'm on a 600 Yamaha, bright red with a ruddy great headlight on constantly and me perched on top like an angry power ranger. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Absolute nutter in phibsboro this morning, when he stopped he was shouting at me and the other cyclists, after he completed his turn he started getting out of his car but I wasn't hanging around, had to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

papu wrote: »
    Absolute nutter in phibsboro this morning, when he stopped he was shouting at me and the other cyclists, after he completed his turn he started getting out of his car but I wasn't hanging around, had to get to work.

[YOUTUB]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4PM9QREDhU&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUB]

Any chance of a time reference? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

TheChizler wrote: »

45 seconds

TheChizler wrote: »

sorry 45s - 60s
    the D'olier st slalom section begins at about 6:30

Bawls, still asleep, I must have uploaded the unedited file, I've just trimmed the Youtube video, may take a minute or two

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Have you reported it?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

similar happened to me this morning, ive one kid on a high back seat and the other in a trailer. car on opposite side of road decides he needs to immediately park in the cycle lane where i am currently cycling. cue hard braking from both of us and me going around him

similar **** most days wittt idiots doing their school drops and fighting for parking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

similar to above yesterday evening on Howth road heading inbound towards Raheny, car coming towards me pulled over and parked up in the cycle lane right in front of me. completely oblivious when I suggested she be aware of cyclists. 2 kids in the back, their drop-off is far more important than my wellbeing!

RayCun wrote: »
    Have you reported it?

No I haven't, I may ring traffic watch over the weekend or early next week, I'm leaving the country next friday for a week, so perhaps It would be better to leave it until after that. The video file would have to be put on a DVD or something for the Gardao review if it came to that? Would have to go to court for any kind of penalty to be given?

As far as I can see 2 points for failure to drive a vehicle on left hand side of the road , 3 points for dangerous overtaking and 2 points for driving without reasonable consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No I haven't, I may ring traffic watch over the weekend or early next week, I'm leaving the country next friday for a week, so perhaps It would be better to leave it until after that. The video file would have to be put on a DVD or something for the Gardao review if it came to that? Would have to go to court for any kind of penalty to be given?

As far as I can see 2 points for failure to drive a vehicle on left hand side of the road , 3 points for dangerous overtaking and 2 points for driving without reasonable consideration.

No need for DVDs or anything. Call traffic watch and log a call there. They will ask you for your local station who will then handle this. The gard that I showed my footage to (on a laptop) just took a video of the video on his phone and off he went. He did say that it would require a day in court if it went that far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement