Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

papu wrote: »
    No I haven't, I may ring traffic watch over the weekend or early next week, I'm leaving the country next friday for a week, so perhaps It would be better to leave it until after that. The video file would have to be put on a DVD or something for the Gardao review if it came to that? Would have to go to court for any kind of penalty to be given?

As far as I can see 2 points for failure to drive a vehicle on left hand side of the road , 3 points for dangerous overtaking and 2 points for driving without reasonable consideration.

When the gardai rang me back regarding a TW report, they asked me to come to the station and 'bring the footage' for us to see. I'd say you could just show them on your phone and if they deem it serious enough for court, they'll ask for a copy. If not serious enough, but enough for a warning, they won't necessarily need a copy. Should be worth putting in the call to TW anyway, there's a certain aggression to that style of driving that I'm sure any decent Garda would happily have a word with the driver

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'd email the station using their web form, or just call them directly rather than use trafficwatch, because I've never gotten through there, but maybe it's just me.
    And do it now rather than before you go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

No I haven't, I may ring traffic watch over the weekend or early next week.

That's nuts! Definately put that on disc!

I was off the bike today. Had to drop it to avoid being hit when a car turned right across me mid junction. I slammed on but ran out of road. Lots of people walking and cycling and nobody stopped to see if I was ok. What is society going to be like in the future?
    Got back up and then had a car pull out from a side street only 1km further. Female driver stopped and then nudged forward more as I passed, but not before totally blocking the cycle lane and forcing all on-coming cyclists to stop or go out on to main traffic lane to avoid them. Then she passed later honking her horn saying she would report me for tapping her bonnet (I tapped it to stop her nudging forward as I passed in front).
    It's just insane how stupis, selfish, aggressive and dangerous people can be when driving! Going to the Garda with the footage. I am pissed off with all this! It's just getting worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Then she passed later honking her horn saying she would report me for tapping her bonnet (I tapped it to stop her nudging forward as I passed in front).
    Make your arrangements swiftly as you'll definitely be doing a stretch in the big house for that one. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No need for DVDs or anything. Call traffic watch and log a call there. They will ask you for your local station who will then handle this. The gard that I showed my footage to (on a laptop) just took a video of the video on his phone and off he went. He did say that it would require a day in court if it went that far.

This. Call TW, showed Garda in station video on phone, he'll give you his email to fwd on a copy. Pulse may be ancient but they can use email :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

ED E wrote: »
    This. Call TW, showed Garda in station video on phone, he'll give you his email to fwd on a copy. Pulse may be ancient but they can use email :pac:

http://www.safecyclingireland.org/camera-footage-reporting-gardai/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I see Ed Sheeran was knocked off his bike in London, broken arm, will miss some shows...

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Closest call yet this morning on commute in. Batchelors walk approaching O'Connell bridge just after that new light set up where the traffic lane filters left and the buses filter right. I came past those lights and a taxi which wanted to turn into O'Connell street skimmed by me with what could not have been any more that a foot of a gap. I've never done it before but I had to knock on his window and ask whether or not he had seen me. He didn't really answer that question and instead went on a rant about "you lot" and how we're always cutting in front of cars so he was only doing the same....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I had to knock on his window and ask whether or not he had seen me.
    Waste of time engaging in this way. Make a note of the plate number and the reg. Report to the Gardai. They can pretend to have a word with him on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

first time cycling Kevin st in a long time. nice move out of the Audi, she didn't bother moving to the inside lane before turning left, despite the space being there.

embedded Youtube doesn't seem to be working for me so have it below in both formats...

https://youtu.be/pctwUL-cTy8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

LpPepper wrote: »
    I'm convinced that the roundabouts in Phoenix Park main road are cursed. Went there for a spin today and at both the first and last roundabouts drivers failed to yield to me.

I've lost count the number of times this has happened - I'm wearing bright club kit (Red/Green/White) and have a 300L flashing light on, and it's the middle of the day!

They just couldn't give two f*cks
    Funny incident at the 3 Arena roundabout recently; was waiting in the right hand lane to take the exit to cross the East Link Toll Bridge and the car behind me tried to overtake me on the right while entering the roundabout! Gave the "stay back" hand wave gesture, which although often tends to result in revs, generally works.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Waste of time engaging in this way. Make a note of the plate number and the reg. Report to the Gardai. They can pretend to have a word with him on your behalf.

I disagree. For any behavioural change, you need to ensure that they immediate, direct feedback pointing out the issue. Gardai will do nothing about incidents like this. They will only deal when there is direct evidence of an offence committed.

So your choice is - talk to the driver, or do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

first time cycling Kevin st in a long time. nice move out of the Audi, she didn't bother moving to the inside lane before turning left, despite the space being there.

It's just shockingly lazy driving, she only starts indicating once she's alongside you as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It's just shockingly lazy driving, she only starts indicating once she's alongside you as well!

Those Q7s are quare hard to drive. What with all those buttons and tings. De indicator will be the last thing on yer mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I disagree. For any behavioural change, you need to ensure that they immediate, direct feedback pointing out the issue. Gardai will do nothing about incidents like this. They will only deal when there is direct evidence of an offence committed.

So your choice is - talk to the driver, or do nothing.

This is pretty much how I saw things today. The reality is you almost never get the chance to point out to someone that their actions were dangerous and caused you distress so I decided today not to pass up that opportunity.

This is pretty much how I saw things today. The reality is you almost never get the chance to point out to someone that their actions were dangerous and caused you distress so I decided today not to pass up that opportunity.

Depends on your audience. In my own experience 99% of taxi drivers I’ve interacted with in dangerous situations are ignorant oafs who will quite happily run you over for a €10 fare. Quite a few openly admit to not giving a sh!te about me, my bike or my safety. So I wouldn’t bother wasting my time on a taxi man. Other drivers perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Those Q7s are quare hard to drive. What with all those buttons and tings. De indicator will be the last thing on yer mind.

what you can't see in the video is that she barely batted an eyelid, certainly didn't acknowledge her sh1tty driving.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

First time going through town in awhile this morning. Same maneuver by a Q4 on the N11, swinging across me and another car who had slowed to let me clear the junction.

Then as I got closer to town, I presume bus lanes are now defunct or they are now "Bus, Taxi, Cycle and Audi only" lanes. 20 cars from Donnybrook to SSG, 19 were Audis, all using the bus lane from near beginning to end. Not even CD plates acting like asses, just people off to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Depends on your audience. In my own experience 99% of taxi drivers I’ve interacted with in dangerous situations are ignorant oafs who will quite happily run you over for a €10 fare. Quite a few openly admit to not giving a sh!te about me, my bike or my safety. So I wouldn’t bother wasting my time on a taxi man. Other drivers perhaps.

There are escalation options - mention your camera (whether you have one or not), mention the Taxi Regulator, mention the Gardai, mention the name of the taxi company who's branding is on the roof sign - lots of options to get their attention, if the simple morality of not killing another human doesn't get through.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Taxi regulator used to carry a bit of fear but not sure if that holds anymore.

• Advertisement

There are escalation options - mention your camera (whether you have one or not), mention the Taxi Regulator, mention the Gardai, mention the name of the taxi company who's branding is on the roof sign - lots of options to get their attention, if the simple morality of not killing another human doesn't get through.

To be honest, I've just turned into a selfish ar$e cycling in Dublin - it's about self-preservation. So dead center of the bus / bike lanes, cutting out all opportunity for a close pass. They can beep, tail gate, etc. - it goes 100% ignored. It's water off a ducks back. If I'm cycling center lane at 30kph in a 30kph zone, I don't see what the issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

To be honest, I've just turned into a selfish ar$e cycling in Dublin - it's about self-preservation. So dead center of the bus / bike lanes, cutting out all opportunity for a close pass. They can beep, tail gate, etc. - it goes 100% ignored. It's water off a ducks back. If I'm cycling center lane at 30kph in a 30kph zone, I don't see what the issue is.

Have gone a bit this way too, especially up the quays, F*** them, I know they're not all bad but until they all learn to behave they can look at my backside until it's safe for me to move in!!!

On the taxi's, I had one guy tell me he didn't care if I lived or died and I had no business being on his road....indeed, I thought the camera was getting it all but turned out not to be the case (seems to delete the first file randomly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

CramCycle wrote: »
    Then as I got closer to town, I presume bus lanes are now defunct or they are now "Bus, Taxi, Cycle and Audi only" lanes. 20 cars from Donnybrook to SSG, 19 were Audis, all using the bus lane from near beginning to end. Not even CD plates acting like asses, just people off to work.

In fairness there is zero enforcement so why bother adhering to the rules? Every morning I see the same on Patrick's Street, Harolds cross, etc. Even a Garda traffic corps car sitting in the bus lane at the hospice amongst loads of other cars in the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Danbo! wrote: »
    In fairness there is zero enforcement so why bother adhering to the rules? Every morning I see the same on Patrick's Street, Harolds cross, etc. Even a Garda traffic corps car sitting in the bus lane at the hospice amongst loads of other cars in the queue.

Every morning on the hill into Terenure, Garda patrol car in a queue of private cars in the bus lane.

No fear of enforcement.

I took this up with the Gardai following persistent abuse of the mandatory cycle lane at Stephens Green - resulting in one cycling in front of me being hit by a passing car one morning while trying to avoid the parked cars in the bike lane.

The official line is that it's such a big problem, it's unenforceable. So the cycle (excuse the pun) continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I took this up with the Gardai following persistent abuse of the mandatory cycle lane at Stephens Green - resulting in one cycling in front of me being hit by a passing car one morning while trying to avoid the parked cars in the bike lane.

The official line is that it's such a big problem, it's unenforceable. So the cycle (excuse the pun) continues.

Didn't think cycle lanes were mandatory. I think of cycle tracks the same way taxi's use bus lanes; they can use them but they don't HAVE to be in them.

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Didn't think cycle lanes were mandatory. I think of cycle tracks the same way taxi's use bus lanes; they can use them but they don't HAVE to be in them.

The term is somewhat confusing.

Generally, a continuous white line denotes a mandatory cycle lane, meaning that motorised vehicles cannot use / park in them and they're exclusively for cycling in. There are some instances where they're timed - so only operate as cycle lane between certain times.

A broken white line denotes a cycle lane - cars can temporarily use them, for example turning left, but are not permitted to park in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Hungrycol wrote: »

They are mandatory in the sense that everyone apart from cyclists must stay out of them at all times. Cyclists may come and go as they please. The bit of mandatory cycle lane opposite the Shelbourne Hotel is a de facto Taxi Rank most of the time. I think the record number of cars I saw parked in it was 4 or possibly 5. I have a photo somewhere I must dig out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

In my experience, whether driving or cycling, taxi drivers are the worst in terms of road manners and lack of respect. Two incidents yesterday, one today. All un-necessary and avoidable. They always blame the other road user for their lack of awareness and respect. The aggression and abusive language, up to and including threats of violence puts these drivers in a low life league of their own.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i guess it may be a case of familiarity breeding contempt?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement